PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a cleric

Atanuero
2007-10-21, 10:02 AM
Ok, so I opened a copy of Deities&Demigods for the first time today, and instantly fell in love with 2 of the new domains: Madness and Nobility. The reason I was looking at the book in the first place was because I'm the Cleric for an upcoming campaign. It starts at 3rd-level. I decided that my Cleric's alignment would be CN, and his outlook of life would sort be sort of like Machiavelli's book. Now I need some form of divine power to worship. Any suggestions?

Laurellien
2007-10-21, 10:45 AM
The god of inbred royalty and aristocrats?
The BBEG?

Atanuero
2007-10-21, 10:54 AM
The god of inbred royalty and aristocrats?
The BBEG?If there actually is such a god in some book or other, can you tell me which one/give me a link so I can show it to the DM for approval? Also, since the campaign hasn't started yet (hence I'm still making a character) I haven't the slightest what the BBEG's going to be.

Laurellien
2007-10-21, 11:01 AM
Madness and nobility are deities and demigods domains. Therefore, if there isn't a deity in there with both domains, then you are out on a limb regrettably. If I wanted good domains, I would just take domination (complete divine), and planning (complete warrior) and worship Wee Jas.

TheLogman
2007-10-21, 11:27 AM
You could always worship the Divine Pseudonatural Paragon Advanced Monstrous Crab. He has Ocean, Water, Celerity, Animal, and Watery Death.

The Knight of the Gods (http://www.kenzerco.com/Orpg/kalamar/ndomains.php) Grants Nobility, but is a Lawful Good.

The Storm Lord on the Same page has Madness, and Chaos, but is more elementally aligned, granting Air, Water, Ocean, Storm, and Strength.

The Laughter has Madness, Chaos, Destruction, Plant, and Trickery. Not bad.

Emperor Demonking
2007-10-21, 11:31 AM
Does the god has to exist. If not you can just say your character believes in a god of inbred royalty and get his powers from tha belief.

TheLogman
2007-10-21, 11:33 AM
I think it has to be existing, since the Dm wants to see it for approval.

DraPrime
2007-10-21, 11:37 AM
You can worship a concept instead of a god.

Laurellien
2007-10-21, 11:44 AM
Or you could pick a concept such as terror and go to war against it...

Atanuero
2007-10-21, 11:44 AM
I just talked to him (my DM), and he said that he forgot to mention than I can have 4 or 5 domains for this campaign. :smallconfused: Also, I looked at my Spell Compendium and realized that Madness got nerfed from 3.0 to 3.5-now the granted power doesn't increase your casting DCs. So never mind the madness. Also the DM said that if I really want to, I can make up my own god or ideal as long as it has domains that are at least tangenitally related to each other. As in, if I have Water, Orc and Pestilence he probably won't like it too much. Not that I want to take any of those 3.

Laurellien
2007-10-21, 12:32 PM
Undeath
Planning
Water
Trickery
Animal

You worship a totem ancestor god (animal) that manifests himself through the bones of your ancestors (undeath) to counsel and advise your social group (planning) which happens to live on or by the sea (water) and hides you from your enemies (trickery).

Seriously
Extra Turning
Extend Spell (for later divine metamagic: persistent spell)
Horrid Wilting
Wish/disguise self
Shapechange

pwnage.

TheLogman
2007-10-21, 12:34 PM
The Crab has 1 more Domain, but it is a little powerful. Usually, a Cleric would have to do an entire Prestige Class and sacrifice both their domains to get it. If you really can have 4 Domains, give 2 up to get the Watery Death Domain, and then go with Animal and Ocean.

However, what stuff do you want your Cleric to do? I have access to a lot of domains, and could easily fit whatever you want to domains.

bugsysservant
2007-10-21, 12:42 PM
Ugh, don't take planning. Any domain which lets you DMM persist spells at level 1 and grants time stop, so that you can permanently stop time at level 17 reeks of gouda.

mabriss lethe
2007-10-21, 03:35 PM
I'm sort of fond of the Shadow Domain from Eberron. Blindfight as a bonus feat and access to the entire progression of shadow conjuration/evocation wizard spells without spell level modification.

Heck I'm actually getting to play my first cleric that I genuinely enjoy. I've nailed down shadow as a domain but the others are in the air at this point.

Darkness domain complements Shadow pretty well at end levels , but the domain power and the first level domain spell overlaps. not so hot for low level gaming.

The Illusion domain (from Player's Guide to Faerun) meshes rather well with it.

The Spell Domain (also from PGF) meshes extremely well with domain bonuses to concentration and spellcraft plus access to the Anyspell series, limited wish, etc. It meshes with shadow to create a caster with some pretty scary versatility.

Magic, Travel, and Trickery From the Players handbook all work well enough with it. no real overlap, good bonuses. etc.

Rune (from PGF) adds an interesting dynamic, but the jury is still out on how much I really like it.

As for the deity he worships, I'm still ironing that out. What I have is...interesting, but will have to wait for another time to post the details. It's nearly time for me to go to work.

Doresain
2007-10-22, 02:08 AM
temptation is always a fun domain...

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-22, 02:36 PM
Going CN with Illusion, Magic, Spells and the Trickery domains with another to taste maybe Luck or Nobility:

You could worship a Dead/Slumbering Diety like Leira the former Goddess of Illusion and Trickery who died in 1358 in FRCS. Is she really dead, slumbering or moving with a secret purpose in your campaign? The first four domains are good thematic domains for 3.5 and grabbing an extra one like Luck or Nobility would each fit in pretty easily.