PDA

View Full Version : expectation of magic items

n00b
2020-01-02, 10:44 AM
We're starting Storm King's Thunder next week and I have decided to play a Ranger/Cleric that I asked a few questions about in a separate thread. Just because I think it will be fun and also just to be different I've decided to be a Firbolg but use a greatsword and heavy armor, therefore necessitating a Strength build. Everyone uses the same stat array of 15 14 13 12 10 8. So I think I've decided to distribute them this way, with racial applied.

16 13 12 10 16 8

Since the campaign ends at level 11 I'll only get 2 ASI's. I would like to get something besides just stat improvements for one of them. Maybe resilient con or something like that. So I have to decide whether to bump my Str or Wis with the other eventually. I go through all this to ask... What's the general expectation of magic items in a campaign? And what level are they appropriate? Our GM is generally pretty generous with stuff and even allows us to try to buy things we want. What I'd like to do it maybe use my ASI on Wis and look for a pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Power to help out with my Strength. Is that unreasonable of me and if not what level would it be appropriate to hope to come across something like that?

Thanks.

Dork_Forge
2020-01-02, 10:54 AM
Uncommon items are definitely in line, though since you're running SKT you'll likely be getting the preassigned loot from the adventure unless your DM changes it up. I'm AFB right now so can't check what all is in the loot (I don't think gauntlets are but could be wrong), your best bet would be to first ask if your DM is sticking to the adventure loot.

Feat wise why do you want Res Con? You're going Ranger/Cleric with HA so you seem more melee, is it to concentrate on Hunters Mark?

n00b
2020-01-02, 11:02 AM
Feat wise why do you want Res Con? You're going Ranger/Cleric with HA so you seem more melee, is it to concentrate on Hunters Mark?

I really just pulled that off the top of my head thinking about concentration spells, so yeah, sorta. GWM wouldn't be out of line either I think. But yes, I will definitely be a front-liner.

Zhorn
2020-01-02, 11:10 AM
If your DM plays it close to the books, you can expect a ton of random rolls on the DMG's magic item tables later in the adventure.
I just finished running STK for a group, and it got a little messy with how many were available to find. To save time at the table I spent a lot of prep rolling on the tables at home just to know what was going to show up where. Normally I like to do the live rolls at the table because of the excitement the players get at that 'anything can happen' moment, but seriously, that module will rain loot if played straight.

CheddarChampion
2020-01-02, 11:23 AM
If you want Res (Con) I'd recommend swapping stats to 16/12/13/10/16/8. The feat will boost your Con to 14 and thus +2.

n00b
2020-01-02, 11:29 AM
If you want Res (Con) I'd recommend swapping stats to 16/12/13/10/16/8. The feat will boost your Con to 14 and thus +2.

That would be nice but I gotta have that 13 in Dex to satisfy the multiclass restrictions of Ranger. And I did sorta sideways approach my DM about letting me use Str as a prime stat instead of Dex since I was making a Str build but he didn't bite so I let it go.

Dork_Forge
2020-01-02, 11:49 AM
I really just pulled that off the top of my head thinking about concentration spells, so yeah, sorta. GWM wouldn't be out of line either I think. But yes, I will definitely be a front-liner.

I think a lot of people default to Res: x just because it's popular, but it's certainly a build specific thing.

What's your playstyle going to be like? You said front liner but will you be two hander, sword and board? What spells will you be interested in casting? What subclasses will you be taking?

I assume this is from 1st level or is the DM taking the from 5th option?

n00b
2020-01-02, 12:14 PM
I think a lot of people default to Res: x just because it's popular, but it's certainly a build specific thing.

What's your playstyle going to be like? You said front liner but will you be two hander, sword and board? What spells will you be interested in casting? What subclasses will you be taking?

I assume this is from 1st level or is the DM taking the from 5th option?

Starting at level 1. And here's a twist I hadn't seen coming. We're using variant stat options for race where you just get to pick where you want a +2 and +1, so in theory I could be any race I wanted so I'm not sure if any of them have any particular synergy with this class combo I wouldn't normally thing about.

But play style is definitely going to be wade into the middle and start laying about with a greatsword. I haven't given a lot of thought to spell casting honestly as I've never played this build before. Possibly one of the Ranger strike spells or eventually Spiritual Weapon. I know I want Ranger 5 for the extra attack but beyond that I haven't planned what level distribution. I had thought Gloom Stalker/War Cleric as subs.