PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [PEACH] Variant Spellcasting Ability Rule

Dragodar
2020-01-02, 02:10 PM
I recently came up with this idea for a variant rule, and I'm thinking about trying it out experimentally, either in a high-powered one shot or a short, heroic campaign. I was wondering what the community's thoughts are.

All Spellcasters can choose between two options for their Primary Spellcasting Ability. Bards and Warlocks may choose between Intelligence and Charisma. Clerics and Sorcerers may choose between Wisdom and Charisma. And Druids and Wizards may choose between Intelligence and Wisdom.

For the purposes of Spell Attack Bonus, Spell Save DC, and all other functions relating to the Spellcaster's Primary Spellcasting Ability, this chosen Ability will be used. It must be chosen the first time the character takes a level in the class, and cannot be changed once it is chosen. For the purpose of multiclassing with two spellcasting classes, the player may choose either ability offered by the class they are multiclassing into, but once again, may not change it once it is chosen.

Clerics, Druids, and Wizards keep their normal Saving Throw Proficiencies (Wisdom/Charisma for clerics, and Intelligence/Wisdom for Druids and Wizards).
Each of the other spellcasting classes is proficient in the Saving Throw of its Spellcasting Ability, as well as another ability determined by that choice.

Bard: Dexterity if Charisma is chosen, or Constitution if Intelligence is chosen
Sorcerer: Constitution if Charisma is chosen, or Charisma if Wisdom is chosen
Warlock: Dexterity if Intelligence is chosen, or Wisdom if Charisma is chosen

On the surface, pre-playtest, it would seem the biggest changes are multiclassing between spellcasters, allowing powerful SAD builds that were previously MAD to varying levels of feasibility. For example, an INT based wizard/bard combo, or a WIS based sorcerer/wizard combo. In addition, it would allow classes to take on different roles than their usual, such as a high high INT bard who is the expert in Knowledge skills, or a high CHA druid playing the party face.

I'm well aware this rule could present some serious balance issues, which is why I'm posting about it here. What do you foresee being the biggest potential abuse of such a rule? Get creative. I'm crowdsourcing this to see how optimized you guys can make a build using this rule. Let's see your best min/max builds!

nickl_2000
2020-01-02, 03:08 PM
First of all, I'm assuming 5e

You are right, multiclassing is where this will get to be the biggest issue, but there are some others as well.

1) What about half and 1/3 casters, do they get to switch it up as well?
2) What about saves? Does it make sense for a Cleric who is casting with Intelligence to get proficiency in intelligence saves? On the other hand, giving them Charisma and Intelligence saves is certainly giving them the short end of the stick for saving throws
3) What about abilities that are Ability Mod times per long rest, like Light Domain Cleric warding flare or Bardic Inspiration?

Overall I'm not against it. You are talking a short campaign or a one shot. Give it a try and throw it at players, see what they break. If it's short, who cares :)

Dragodar
2020-01-02, 03:29 PM
First of all, I'm assuming 5e
Yes, sorry. Forgot to add that.

1) What about half and 1/3 casters, do they get to switch it up as well?
I hadn't actually given them thought yet, but if this playtest goes semi-smoothly I would probably expand the rule to include them.

2) What about saves? Does it make sense for a Cleric who is casting with Intelligence to get proficiency in intelligence saves? On the other hand, giving them Charisma and Intelligence saves is certainly giving them the short end of the stick for saving throws
See, this is why I need you guys. I hadn't even considered this, but I wrote up a quick solution:
Clerics, Druids, and Wizards keep their normal Save Proficiencies. (Wisdom/Charisma for Clerics, Intelligence/Wisdom for Druids and Wizards).
Bards are proficient in their Spellcasting Ability choice and Dexterity. Sorcerers are proficient in their Spellcasting Ability choice and Constitution. Warlocks are proficient in their Spellcasting Ability choice and Wisdom.
(i am fully aware that this makes Wisdom Sorcerers easily the best starting level of any spellcasting class as far as Saves go, and will probably rework this.)

3) What about abilities that are Ability Mod times per long rest, like Light Domain Cleric warding flare or Bardic Inspiration?
Those will work as normal. This will definitely contribute to a higher powered feel in the game.
My main reason for doing this was to open up the opportunity for some unique multiclass routes that would not have been feasibly previously due to MADness.

Overall I'm not against it. You are talking a short campaign or a one shot. Give it a try and throw it at players, see what they break. If it's short, who cares :)
That's my thought as well. Playtest it a bit and see how it feels. Thanks for responding, I appreciate the feedback!

nickl_2000
2020-01-02, 03:36 PM
Those will work as normal. This will definitely contribute to a higher powered feel in the game.
My main reason for doing this was to open up the opportunity for some unique multiclass routes that would not have been feasibly previously due to MADness.

By "those will work as normal" do you mean that they will key off the new spellcasting stats? Or they will work as written in the PHB? Having it key off of the new spellcasting stats seems perfectly fine to me giving your goal.

I would not give sorcerers wisdom and constitution, it's just to much and will give them a boost over other classes (on the other hand, maybe it's worth it since so many people complain about sorcerers needing a boost)..

Dragodar
2020-01-02, 03:58 PM
By "those will work as normal" do you mean that they will key off the new spellcasting stats? Or they will work as written in the PHB? Having it key off of the new spellcasting stats seems perfectly fine to me giving your goal.
Ah, I forgot that the PHB does not use "Spellcasting Ability" terminology for those abilities. Yes, I would be willing to let those transfer over to the new ability as well.

I would not give sorcerers wisdom and constitution, it's just to much and will give them a boost over other classes (on the other hand, maybe it's worth it since so many people complain about sorcerers needing a boost)..
Yes, I hated it as I typed it and have already come up with a better solution. I edited it into the original post.