PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for survival encounter references or how to make the environment more thrilli

Eradis
2020-01-02, 04:03 PM
I'm looking for sources to help me spike up my games regarding survival elements and environmental hazards. I'm mostly searching for cool little concepts that helps spark the imagination when building encounters or prepping games.

I started to read some pre-made adventure modules and that's when it hit me. Reading about a cavern wall failing letting a flood knocking adventurers off their feet if they are not quick enough climb onto something or strong enough to hold on something is nice. What was nicer was that there was mechanical explanation on how to deal that pesky blow to the player characters.

Do you have references that I could look up for such things or do you have things of the like to share with me and this sweat community?

JoeJ
2020-01-02, 04:07 PM
Critical Hit Publishing has an entire series on this, called Cinematic Environs (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?filters=44827_0_0_0_0&keywords=cinematic%20environs).

Brookshw
2020-01-02, 04:42 PM
Are they any good? Some of the descriptions of the product's strength seem to be a little uninspired. For example, the desert environs advertises more interesting encounters such as "Instead of bandits along the road, the party now has to be on the lookout for desert nomads who will slaughter those who encroach on their territory."

Be nice if there were a few pages available for preview somewhere (unless I'm missing something).

JoeJ
2020-01-02, 05:56 PM
Are they any good? Some of the descriptions of the product's strength seem to be a little uninspired. For example, the desert environs advertises more interesting encounters such as "Instead of bandits along the road, the party now has to be on the lookout for desert nomads who will slaughter those who encroach on their territory."

Be nice if there were a few pages available for preview somewhere (unless I'm missing something).

IME they are very good. I have all but one, and that one is on my short list to buy. They describe the conditions in each of the environments, including weather, issues of navigation, and mental and physical distress in game terms. They then describe in detail a list of hazards, including how that hazard changes in response to PC actions, how to show time pressure, and possible results of a critical failure if your group wants to include that possibility. At the back there's a section with additions such as new equipment, character backgrounds, or monsters.

In keeping with the name, the approach is quite cinematic, using the "Rule of Three," which says that it should require failing three saving throws and/or ability checks against an environmental hazard before the PC suffers fatal consequences. For example, a character who fails a strength (athletics) check while halfway up a mile-high cliff is now hanging by their fingertips. If they fail a second check they lose their grip, but still have one last chance to grab a ledge before falling to the rocks below.

Scarytincan
2020-01-02, 06:41 PM
Adventures in Middle earth has stuff pertaining to this since journeys are a bigger part of its model

Eradis
2020-01-03, 09:05 AM
Critical Hit Publishing has an entire series on this, called Cinematic Environs (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?filters=44827_0_0_0_0&keywords=cinematic%20environs).

Those titles sound interesting, but I'm not ready to throw money for a gamble. If I keep at the description it is mostly a book of read aloud description of different environment, which is not what I am looking for. Although I'll try and find a preview or two out there before crossing it off my list. Thank you for this suggestion!

Adventures in Middle earth has stuff pertaining to this since journeys are a bigger part of its model

Do you have one of the titles in mind for Adventures in Middle Earth? Is there stuff like this in the Player's handbook or is it elsewhere (adventure modules, GM's book, etc.)? I was tempted to read this, but as I searched, I've found out that The One Ring was a better representation of Tolkien's universe, so I put it on the back-burner.

Scarytincan
2020-01-03, 10:45 AM
The road goes ever on I think is the name of the one that would best suit what ur looking for. Tor and Aime are both the same storylines etc just Aime uses dnd 5e rules (which u probably knew if u researched them, but just in case). General rules for journeys can be found in player guide, and a bunch of random encounters are scattered through pretty much every book, but the road goes on book has tables for rolling up a bunch of random encounters in the wild, it's primary purpose. A chunk of it is middle earth specific but could certainly just be changed to various races /cultures to fit your setting...

Sparky McDibben
2020-01-03, 11:04 AM
I don't have anything for survival, but you might be able to hack something from the Angry GM's Overland Travel system: https://theangrygm.com/getting-there-is-half-the-fun/

That's a free blog post. The guy's kind of a douche, but he has some interesting ideas on game design. And, if you're anything like me, free resources are always helpful! :)

Eradis
2020-01-03, 12:55 PM
The road goes ever on I think is the name of the one that would best suit what ur looking for. Tor and Aime are both the same storylines etc just Aime uses dnd 5e rules (which u probably knew if u researched them, but just in case). General rules for journeys can be found in player guide, and a bunch of random encounters are scattered through pretty much every book, but the road goes on book has tables for rolling up a bunch of random encounters in the wild, it's primary purpose. A chunk of it is middle earth specific but could certainly just be changed to various races /cultures to fit your setting...

I will try to get my hand on this one if it isn't already in my to read in an eventual lifetime folder on my PC.

I knew that AIME is based on 5e's rules, and this is the main reason why I put it on the back-shelf as The One Ring is tailored made for Middle Earth, or so people say. Thank you for both precising it and for the extra details/suggestion. It is appreciated!

I don't have anything for survival, but you might be able to hack something from the Angry GM's Overland Travel system: https://theangrygm.com/getting-there-is-half-the-fun/

That's a free blog post. The guy's kind of a douche, but he has some interesting ideas on game design. And, if you're anything like me, free resources are always helpful! :)

His idea on travel is O.K., but not really what I am looking for. I'm mostly looking for interesting environmental hazards that I can pitch in my dungeons (may they be in the open, inside a building or underground). That and the occasional traveling encounters (read non-combat) for the times the road is as important as the destination.

JoeJ
2020-01-03, 03:10 PM
Those titles sound interesting, but I'm not ready to throw money for a gamble. If I keep at the description it is mostly a book of read aloud description of different environment, which is not what I am looking for. Although I'll try and find a preview or two out there before crossing it off my list. Thank you for this suggestion!

All of them have previews available at DTRPG. Did you look at those?

Eradis
2020-01-03, 03:53 PM
All of them have previews available at DTRPG. Did you look at those?

I did not even think to look... Now that I did, I know, or I least I believe from the many previews that this is not exactly what I am looking for. Although, they look like interesting reads. They make me wish I could play or run a survival game. If I had the player base for this I'd probably buy one or two and keep them going as the story needs them. I might actually buy one just for the read itself, but for right now it will go in my wish list.

Thank you for this. You added to my culture!

JoeJ
2020-01-03, 04:36 PM
I did not even think to look... Now that I did, I know, or I least I believe from the many previews that this is not exactly what I am looking for. Although, they look like interesting reads. They make me wish I could play or run a survival game. If I had the player base for this I'd probably buy one or two and keep them going as the story needs them. I might actually buy one just for the read itself, but for right now it will go in my wish list.

Thank you for this. You added to my culture!

Glad I could expand your horizons, even if it's not exactly what you're looking for. :)