PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Looking For Spell (Clr 2)

Thurbane
2020-01-02, 04:36 PM
Looking for a 2nd level Cleric spell for a favored Soul NPC. Most of his other spells are buffs and such, so I need an attacking spell to fill a spell known slot.

Being a favored soul, looking for a spell that doesn't have a save if possible, since DC is based on Wis.

The character has 2d6 sneak attack (because reasons), so I was contemplating Cloud of Knives. He also has poison use and death attack, if that matters. Character has good Dex, but low Str.

Most official sourcebooks (and web articles) are open, but no Dragon Mag or Pathfinder.

Cheers - T

So far, I've looked at the following:

Alicorn Lance (seems inferior to Cloud of Knives)
Cloud of Knives
Lastai's Caress (what does one "known" evil creature mean?)
Spiritual Weapon
Summon Monster II (creatures are too weak)

SirNibbles
2020-01-02, 06:03 PM
Looking for a 2nd level Cleric spell for a favored Soul NPC. Most of his other spells are buffs and such, so I need an attacking spell to fill a spell known slot.

Being a favored soul, looking for a spell that doesn't have a save if possible, since DC is based on Wis.

The character has 2d6 sneak attack (because reasons), so I was contemplating Cloud of Knives. He also has poison use and death attack, if that matters. Character has good Dex, but low Str.

Most official sourcebooks (and web articles) are open, but no Dragon Mag or Pathfinder.

Cheers - T

Alicorn Lance (More Marches; Silver Marches Web Enhancement, page 4) gives you a force damage ranged touch attack of 3d6. No save and allows you to get your sneak attack in. It also has the benefit of allowing you to cast it a few rounds before you want to engage with it, if you so choose. It's somewhat inferior to Cloud of Knives but has the advantage of being force damage and a touch attack.

Allanimal
2020-01-02, 06:33 PM
Summon Monster II (creatures are too weak)

What about Summon Undead II?

Thurbane
2020-01-02, 07:06 PM
What about Summon Undead II?

Character is good aligned and follows a good deity, so may not be ideal...

Troacctid
2020-01-02, 07:26 PM
Sun bolt (ShS) is a touch attack for 2d6 untyped damage, dealing double damage to undead and oozes or triple to undead who are damaged by sunlight. It also blinds the target on a failed Reflex save.

Conjure ice beast II is probably a slightly better combat option than summon monster II for pure combat ability.

The Viscount
2020-01-02, 09:45 PM
For Lastai's Caress, it mentions you have to know that the creature is evil, which is what that bit about "known evil creature" is.

I'm partial to Blade of Pain and Fear (Libris Mortis) for touch attack, and the save is only for the rider.

Eldariel
2020-01-03, 05:40 AM
Sun bolt (ShS) is a touch attack for 2d6 untyped damage, dealing double damage to undead and oozes or triple to undead who are damaged by sunlight. It also blinds the target on a failed Reflex save.

Conjure ice beast II is probably a slightly better combat option than summon monster II for pure combat ability.

Conjure Ice Beast II can summon two 1d6 cold aura monsters (Centipedes for durability; construct HP is stupid on low HD things) for guaranteed 2d6 per turn making it one of the more efficient spells for the level. Much better than SMII especially since it doesn't require any feats to be reasonable.

Thurbane
2020-01-03, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback everyone. I'm still leaning towards Cloud of Knives, but now I have some other choices to consider.

Eldariel
2020-01-06, 08:26 AM
Darkbolt [Lords of Madness] is not all that bad either. It does 1d8/2 CL and forces a (sadly Fort) save vs. 1 round Stun. It's a decent combination. Of course, it's also kinda evil. Light of Lunia is also...okay, sort of, but really requires a familiar to truly shine (it's a prime candidate for Share Spell - and especially its big brother, Light of Venya). Cloud of Knives is mostly better though, but touch attacks are at least nice.