PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Questions for first build from a complete beginner

Guwi
2020-01-02, 05:37 PM
So I just started playing dnd last night with some friends and would like to create a quite specific build. If anyone could guild me in doing so that would be appreciated.
The build I would like is a wizard that has a staff that can freely control glass as long as he has the right amount (he starts with 30 pounds in his sack). This is a staff and he would be able to use this in a ton of situations as you can imagine. The end goal for him would be to go to space and create a death star like space station and blow up the planet before the other players can get off.
If anyone knows the optimal skill set and/or build with stats that would be cool.
Keep in mind im a complete beginner and am open to anything

Allanimal
2020-01-02, 06:57 PM
Yes, that is a quite specific build...
First off, it depends a lot on what sources are available.
I’m assuming since you posted in the 3.5/pathfinder forum, and mentioned d&d specifically, you are talking about d&d 3.5.

At early levels, there isn’t a lot you can do to manipulate glass, and using a staff to do it, at early levels, would just be fluff. Later on, magical staffs and rune staffs can contain spells, but generally nothing you couldn’t cast anyway as a wizard, so it isn’t absolutely needed.

Creating a Planet-destroying space station is problematic, because while there are rules for just about everything in d&d 3.5, space travel is not something I am aware of. Maybe there is a dragon magazine article that covers it, or you could pilfer from D20 modern / future rules.

I’m sure someone has a TO idea of how a wizard can destroy a planet, with some sort of energy beam even, but the chances are slim that a DM will allow it, unless you are playing an epic campaign where that sort of thing isn’t out of the ordinary.

If you are going there, please work your way up to it. There are a lot of rules and a lot of complicated spells and systems in D&D 3.5, and it is easier to learn them at low levels, where things are less complicated, and work your way up in complexity.

So, as a beginner, start playing at low levels, figure out how being a wizard works. Spend some time playing and learning the many options you have for your spells. Stick with core only or a limited book set, until you have the fundamentals down. Then start adding new books. The spell compendium will add a ton of new spells, but most of what you really need are in the PHB. Complete arcane and complete mage will add a ton of new options, most of which are making the already (potentially) powerful wizard, even more powerful. But seriously, for a complete beginner, don’t start with those.

Once you have an idea how the mechanics of the game works, you will start to get ideas how to build your glass shaper wizard, and the forum can help. But really, don’t start at that level - start from the beginning and work up to it.

Hellpyre
2020-01-02, 09:36 PM
I want to start off by saying that this
The end goal for him would be to go to space and create a death star like space station and blow up the planet before the other players can get off.
is generally a bad mindset to be going into a cooperative game with. Not only destroying the setting but the other characters, by suprise no less, has the potential to end association with a game group. Yours may be one that would slap your back and call it an awesome finish, but you could just as easily kill off somone another player was heavily invested into and cause bad blood. You need to talk that kind of goal over with your group before commiting to it.

As far as your more immediate desires, the Spheres of Power magic system for Pathfinder would let you do what you are looking at pretty readily, but you would need to check with your DM as to whether or not that is an available option.