PDA

View Full Version : The (Un)Lucky and the Luckless [Feats]

Yeril
2007-10-21, 11:32 AM
Luckless
Your whole life is devoid of luck, both good and bad.

Prerequisites: Must be taken at 1st level
Benefit: Upon rolling a Natural 1, you do not, in some circumstances, suffer an automatic failure, Likewise a Natural 20 does not grant Automatic sucess.
Normal: In some circumstanecs, such as rolling a saving throw or attack roll, a Natural 1 and a Natural 20 grant automatic failure or sucess respectivly.

Fortunes Plaything
You are a very lucky man, however, you are also at times a very unlucky man.

Prerequisites: Must be taken at 1st level
Benefit: For you, Rolling a Natural 19* in some circumstances counts as an automatic sucess, Much like rolling a natural 20. However, Rolling a Natural 2 heralds automatic failure in some circumstances, as if you rolled a natural 1.
Normal: Normaly, Only a Natural 1 Heralds automatic failure and Natural 20 heralds automatic sucess.

*Natural 19's on attack rolls do not grant a critical threat Unless the weapons threat range is large enough, just an automatic hit.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-21, 11:39 AM
Homebrew? Or is this actually from a book somewhere and you're looking for discussion?

Yeril
2007-10-21, 11:45 AM
Oh, a Homebrew idea I thought I'd pencil keyboard down, PEACH please

Whooops wrong forum :smallredface:

Hecore
2007-10-21, 04:12 PM
It seems to me that Luckless is a little too good? Never getting an automatic failure seems easily worth getting rid of automatic successes.

It's about a billion times better then Protected Destiny(not that that's a great feat) - any high save character with the Luckless feat will never fail anything but impossibly high DC's.

kpenguin
2007-10-21, 04:17 PM
I agree with Hecore. An automatic fail hurts a lot more than an automatic succeed helps.

DracoDei
2007-10-21, 04:51 PM
Luckless would fit beige dragons...
I don't know about upper level cheese, but up to about.... oh say level 9 at least I would think this would be fine.

Yeril
2007-10-21, 04:53 PM
Hmm any ideas to balance Luckless? or is it just too overpowered in general?

Ne0
2007-10-21, 05:00 PM
How about:

When you roll a natural one, roll another d4. If the result is 3 or 4, you do not automatically fail at the check. If the result is 1 or 2, you fail at the check.
When you roll a natural twenty, roll another d4. If the result is 4, you automatically fail at the check. If the result is lower than 4, you do not.

Or does that only make it worse? :smallconfused:

Also, I'm not sure if 'Lucky' is the right name for the second feat...

Yeril
2007-10-21, 05:13 PM
How about:

When you roll a natural one, roll another d4. If the result is 3 or 4, you do not automatically fail at the check. If the result is 1 or 2, you fail at the check.
When you roll a natural twenty, roll another d4. If the result is 4, you automatically fail at the check. If the result is lower than 4, you do not.

Or does that only make it worse? :smallconfused:

Also, I'm not sure if 'Lucky' is the right name for the second feat...

Bad luck is still luck isn't it? :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2007-10-21, 05:16 PM
How about Fortune's Plaything as the name?

Yeril
2007-10-21, 05:19 PM
Good call @^

kpenguin
2007-10-21, 05:20 PM
How about "There is No Luck" as the a re-name for luckless?