PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Order of the Stick Book Tournament (Matches 7 and 8)

137beth
2020-01-02, 10:20 PM
Greetings to all people of the Playground, and welcome to
The Ultimate Order of the Stick Book Tournament II!

Back in 2014, I ran (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?339639-The-Ultimate-Order-of-the-Stick-Book-Tournament-Round-1) a series of polls to determine the forum's favorite OOTS book. Start of Darkness won that tournament (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362708-The-Ultimate-Order-of-the-Stick-Book-Tournament-THE-FINALS!), defeating Blood Runs in the Family by one vote. Since that time, the number of available books has increased, and the readership has had more time to reflect on earlier stories in light of more recent events. Hence, I felt it was time for another tournament. Without further ado, I present

The Contestants

Dungeon Crawling Fools
On the Origins of the PCs
Start of Darkness
No Cure for Paladin Blues
War and XP
Don't Split the Party
Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails
Blood Runs in the Family
Haleo & Julelan + Uncivil Servant
Good Deeds Gone Unpunished
Utterly Dwarfed

I have grouped together the two stories which are currently digital-only. The 11 contestants will compete in a double elimination tournament, with your votes deciding who wins each match. The winner of the entire tournament will be crowned Grand Champion of the Stick!

Due to the fact that there are more than 8 but fewer than 16 contestants, five books will get a free pass on the first round. The contestants were seeded randomly. You can see the entire tournament bracket on Challonge (https://challonge.com/9vr5zli0).

Vote once in each match by posting your vote in this thread. Voting for these matches will close Thursday, January 9, at which time I will post the next two matches. I will vote only in the case where a tie-breaking vote is needed. Please put your votes in bold, since it makes it easier for me when tallying them.

The Current Matches
Match 7: War and XP vs On the Origins of the PCs

Match 8: Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails vs Dungeon Crawling Fools

Schroeswald
2020-01-02, 11:04 PM
Haven’t read SSDT so I don’t feel like it’s fair to just give a point to DCF on the sheer basis of me not having read the other option.

But I can judge Match 7, and I say W&XPs, while OtOoPCs was a lot of fun, I like more developed stories a lot, and W&XPs is much more of a story than a series of fun, mostly unrelated scenes (and it’s still loads of fun).

Ruck
2020-01-03, 12:35 AM
War and XPs and Dungeon Crawling Fools.

CriticalFailure
2020-01-03, 01:00 AM
War and XPs

Dungeon Crawling Fools.

LadyEowyn
2020-01-03, 01:25 AM
War and XPs

Dungeon Crawling Fools

Gift Jeraff
2020-01-03, 02:21 AM
waxp
ssadt

Jaxzan Proditor
2020-01-03, 12:13 PM
As I said before, W&XPs has this one pretty easily.

For the other match, this is a little harder because neither books are anything incredible. I think that DCF wins it for me, partly out of nostalgia and partly because I genuinely think it has some incredibly funny moments.

Vulkos
2020-01-03, 12:47 PM
7) War and XPs
8) Dungeon Crawlin' Fools

Sir_Norbert
2020-01-03, 01:23 PM
War and XPs - this is where the storytelling in OOTS really took off.

DCF - the series was still finding its feet here but it's not bad by any means. After one of my friends had shared a few OOTS strips with me and I got curious enough to start from the beginning and try it out, the early strips were what got me invested and made me into a long-term fan.

knag
2020-01-03, 03:16 PM
I don't own SSDT, but based on the comics that ran in Dragon magazine (which I do own), I'm giving it to that based on old-school D&D nostalgia, and the templated Snail. DCF is hilarious but it hadn't figured out what it was yet. The Dragon strips, on the other hand, are exactly what DCF was without trying to be anything else.

The other is not even close WXP is a sexy glossy god of comics.

My vote is:
SSDT
WXP

Hardcore
2020-01-03, 10:47 PM
I really liked the order's encounter with their 4:th? Edition selves in ssdt, but DCG is somehow bigger.
So, War and XPs

Dungeon Crawling Fools
Get my votes.

pluizig
2020-01-04, 07:27 PM
Origins and Fools

Sylian
2020-01-06, 12:36 AM
War and XPs easily.

Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails barely, the D&D 4th edition story was quite entertaining, and the other stuff was about similarly good as Dungeon Crawlin' Fools.

rgrekejin
2020-01-06, 06:34 AM
War and XPs - Probably the best of the compilation books.
Dungeon Crawlin' Fools - SSDT is a pretty entertaining book, but I've always enjoyed the early days of OotS with its gag-a-page setup.

Dr.Zero
2020-01-06, 07:02 AM
War and XPs far from being my preferred, with that Haley's subplot, but all in all...
Dungeon Crawlin' Fools I haven't read the other one, so I might be unfair here, but I liked DCF a lot and I still miss the times of casually thrown game references jokes. So my vote goes here.

KorvinStarmast
2020-01-06, 12:01 PM
The Current Matches

Match 7: War and XP vs On the Origins of the PCs
War and XP: not even close.

DCF
Again, not even close.

DLcygnet
2020-01-07, 05:33 PM
SSDT - The Rise of Darth V
War&XP - Return of Darth V

CriticalFailure
2020-01-08, 11:38 AM
Darth V appears in SSDT?

Mike Havran
2020-01-09, 01:38 PM
War and XP
Dungeon Crawling Fools

137beth
2020-01-09, 02:05 PM
Voting for this round is now closed!

The results are:

Match 7: War and XP vs On the Origins of the PCs (16-1)

(4-12)

The next two matches are up now (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?606162-Ultimate-OOTS-book-tournamen-II-Matches-9-and-10).