PDA

View Full Version : Reindeers are Better Than People

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-03, 12:29 PM
The Elf, Sir Jaivon Aernel was perhaps the most devout paladin of Alseta to have ever lived. He built fantastic temples to the Welcomer all across the entire world so that the sun may never set on Alseta's glory. From the celestial fortress upon the floating isles above the swamps of consumption to the west. The moss dappled stone pillar, a tower more massive than any of the ancient trees that surround it in the rain forests of the south. The pit of salvation, a cavernous mostly subterranean structure in the plains of the east. Finally, Mount Alseta; a building made from pure marble standing as tall as any of the frozen mountains to the north. To win the land, he had to slay Vilustuminen the white dracolitch who dwelt there. It took him longer to build Mount Alseta than any of the others, and on the day of its completion he died at peace as an old man. He simply lay down on the ground in the semi-airable windbreak created by the impossibly large structure and passed away praising the Elven goddess.
It is said that some seed in his stomach from some fruit he had eaten lead to the first of the permagranite trees. As the name implies, they are trees that can survive in the lee of the mountainous church. They produce a white fruit full of frosty blue seeds that are nutritious (if a bit of an acquired taste).
The trouble is, Jaivon died some 2,000 years ago and Elves don't live that far north. The structure went unused for centuries, with the occasional flurry of activity for a decade here and there. A tribe of necromancer snow Goblins (wiped out by adventurers), ice demons used the structure to summon their brethren into this plane for an invasion (also slain by adventurers), Scetcha, the ice sorceress laid plans to cover the world with never ending winter in the hallowed halls (died from exposure), and on and on.
In time the Stone-Tusk clan of Orcish barbarians 'discovered' it and set up an encampment inside. Over the generations they became a clan of Half-Orc fighters and rangers. Than they had “honorary” Stone Tusk Halflings, Gnomes, and Humans. It became a landmark and trading hub for those foolish enough to travel that far north.

No one knows all of this of course. The most anyone knows is that the “Stoneberg” is a stone building of unknown origin, bigger than any one person has explored their own. Three sides of it are covered in centuries of snow and ice (some of which is carved into more rooms and passageways) and the fourth houses a grove of a rare fruit (fenced in to keepthe mammoths out). The main hall is home to a modest marketplace (very busy...for the frozen north. They had fifteen customers in a single month last year!) and a small village with plenty of room to spare. Some people live long, full lives without ever leaving the Stoneburg. The culture inside is multi-racial accepting and inclusive. Every voice is heard, and they often sing to express strong emotion. Lovely folk as long as you do not mean them harm. Otherwise they'll kill the **** out of you.

This story isn't about that.

This story starts deep in an ice burrow in one of the 'outskirts' of the Stoneburg. Kirma, a member of a small sub-species of Kitsune gave birth to three pups. Panuk, Hitty, and Toklo. The fox children would often play with village children, always careful not to show that they were more than mere foxes. When it came time for the pups to leave the nest Hitty sought her fortune out in the greater world. She became a bard and sends the occasional message home to speak of her adventures. Toklo and Panuk stayed in the Stoneberg, pretending to be far traveling Halflings, careful to never reveal their secret, as per the traditions of their people. Panuk tends to the grove, and Toklo is a small game hunter, disappearing into the arctic wilderness for days just to return with plenty of rabbits, pheasants, ice lizards, giant hamsters, and dire mice to make a living off the meat and fur.

The only person that knows his secret is the barmaid, Els Winebarrel. A Halfling with a song voice like the wind through the mountains, haunting and distinctive. They dated as teenagers, and are still friends.

One day, Toklo was on a hunting trip, (which meant he hiked far enough out that he could set up a tent, take full fox form and catch all the game one would expect of a tiny predator with humanoid intelligence) when something happened to change his world forever...

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-03, 12:51 PM
Toklo
CG Small Humanoid (shapechanger)
Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +10
DEFENSE
AC 14, touch 14, flat-footed 11 (+3 Dex, +1 size)
hp 15 (2d8+2)
Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +1
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Attacks
Melee Bite +4 (1d4+0)
Melee Short Sword +4 (1d4+0) 19-20x2
Melee Dagger +4 (1d3+0) 19-20x2 10ft
Ranged Sling (1d3+0) 50 ft [20 bullets]

Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

STATISTICS
Str 10, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 8

Base Atk +1; CMB +0; CMD +12

Feats Sharp Senses

Skills Acrobatics +9, Appraise +7, Bluff +3, Climb +4, Craft (traps) +7, Diplomacy +3, Disable Device +7[+1 bonus vs traps], Disguise +3 [+10 bonus to appear Halfling or fox], Escape Artist +7, Intimidate +3, Know (dungeoneering) +7, Know (local) +7, Linguistics +3, Perception +10[+1 bonus vs traps], Perform (storytelling) +3, Profession +5, Sense Motive +5, Sleight of Hand +7, Stealth +11, Survival +3, Swim +4, Use Magic Device +3

Languages Common, Sylvan, Halfling, Dwarven, Draconic

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Change Shape (Su) Toklo can assume the appearance of a specific single Halfling. Toklo always takes this specific form when he uses this ability. Toklo in Halfling form cannot use his bite attack, but gains a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear Halfling. Changing shape is a standard action. This ability otherwise functions as alter self, except that Toklo does not adjust his ability scores and can remain in this form indefinitely.

Superior Shapeshifter Toklo takes more naturally to shapeshifting than magic, and developed that gift. He gains Fox Shape as a bonus feat at 1st level, ignoring its prerequisites.

CLASS FEATURES
Sneak attack (+1d6), If Toklo can catch an opponent when they are unable to defend themself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
Toklo’s attack deals extra damage anytime his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when Toklo flanks her target. Should Toklo score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.
Toklo must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Toklo cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

Trapfinding Toklo adds ˝ his level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1). Toklo can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.

Evasion Toklo can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex save against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if Toklo is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Rogue talent: Finesse rogue

STUFF
10G
short sword
2 daggers
Sling & 20 bullets
Common Tools, Thieves’
leather armor (+2)
backpack
small tent
belt pouch
flint and steel
rope
hooded waterproof lantern
trail rations (5 days)
waterskin
wooden holy symbol.
potion of cure light wounds

After a good day’s hunting, Toklo was returning to camp when in the distance, on the edge of the darkening Eastern sky, he noticed a smudge of smoke. It was Spring, finally and officially if his brother in the grove was to be believed, and the Earth was waking with it’s usual rush, the sun rising and setting further apart every day. Rabbits, dire mice and giant hamsters were shedding their white fur all over the plains and the great bears were awake with their young, stalking the land.

Ratigator
2020-01-03, 02:50 PM
Toklo padded up to his tent, and dropped the giant hamster carcass. It was camouflaged in the snow, but he knew the spot well. He had left the tent flap left unzipped just enough for his tiny fox body to squeeze in and access the nest of blankets and furs he left there as well as some rations for those times the prey got away. He shifted into his natural hybrid form and shivered against the cold. The spring and fall were always awkward as his own coat was transitioning for the season, short dark fur for the “warmer” days ahead patching against the long white fur that kept him warm all winter.

Though as a fox he was a more efficient hunter, he needed his hands to work the simple lock (just enough to keep scavengers out) on the small metal trunk he kept his catch in. He added the hamster to the grouse, dire mouse, and pair of minks he had caught that morning. He reasoned that he'd be able to head back to Stoneberg the following afternoon at this rate. He packed it in handfuls of snow to keep the meat fresh and looked again at the smoke.

“Might be travelers heading towards his fortified village,” he reasoned “might be trouble doing the same. Either way, it would be good to investigate.” he buried the trunk in a snow bank and re-assumed full fox form, scurrying off towards the smoke.

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-03, 04:00 PM
As you approach the smoke it becomes obvious that you’re approaching some kind of battleground; the smoke comes from a campfire that is sullenly edging away from it’s fire pit, held at bay by the still cold ground and lack of fuel; if it was high summer Toklo knew half the plain would be engulfed. Several bodies lay on the ground, ripped and torn, as are their tents and gear, and there was a large, black and white fluffy dog curled up near one person in blue robes.

The wind shifts and it lifts it’s head, sniffing, then staring at you. A low, grumbling growl fills the air between you but it doesn’t get up. At the dog’s growl, the person it’s laying next too stirs slightly. The other people do not move.

Ratigator
2020-01-03, 06:19 PM
Toklo backed off around some boulders and circled to the north side of the camp. A few scents were unmistakable. Humanoid, dog, humanoid blood, dog blood, and great bear. The tracks and blood trail he discovered lead to the conclusion that it was a single bear, probably a female with a pair of cubs back at her cave. She charged into the camp, grabbed a humanoid and slaughtered the rest when they tried to stop her. That last Human probably had one hell of a story to tell.

The Kitsune ran back to his camp as fast as he could, took on his Halfling form, dressed, and grabbed the sled he used to haul his supplies. He'd have to come back for the rest. He than raced back to the ravaged encampment, arriving just as the sun started to dip behind the mountains.

"Hey!" he shouted as soon as he was close enough to do so. "I come in peace! Do you need help?"

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-03, 06:36 PM
At your shout, the blue robed figure on the ground stirs again and groans. Their dog whines anxiously as the person slowly sits up. The first thing you notice is their ears; they’re quite long and pointed, sticking out almost comically from the side of the head under a long mane of raven-wing black hair. The person’s skin, where it’s not bruised or bloodied or covered in richly embroidered robes, is a deep tan. Their eyes, clouded with pain and confusion, are the deepest amethyst purple you’ve ever seen. The Elf spots you and gives a feeble wave.

“I would greatly...” the elf stops to cough, “greatly appreciate any aid you could give me.” He speaks in a cultured voice and melodic tone. “I’m afraid my companions are beyond assistance.” He says sadly as he looks around at the carnage in the camp. Still sitting on the ground he takes a small silver medallion out from under his coat and murmurs a quick prayer. Bright light momentarily surrounds him and some of his visible wounds close. You recognize the symbol on the medallion from it’s many images in Stoneberg; it’s the holy symbol of Alseta.

Ratigator
2020-01-04, 09:09 AM
"Are you and your dog able to walk?" Toklo asked as he held out his hand for the canine to sniff. "I brought the sled just in case. We can come back for any bulky supplies, valuables and seeing to your friends. It's rare that anyone travels out this far, so theft is rarely a problem."

"Unless it's on one of the bodies" he thought "mama bear is coming back for sure... might even be watching us now. Most likely she won't come after us with so much meat just laying around."

"My village is in that squarish mountain there" He said, pointing out the Stoneberg in the dying light. "I know the way pretty well, but still, if you've got a spare torch we should bring it. I seem to have forgotten mine."

"Oh, and I'm Toklo of Stoneberg" he added when he had fully approached, holding out his hand.

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-04, 07:04 PM
In response to your question, the Elf rises slowly to his feet, wincing a bit but able to stand. “Alseta has healed me through Their great power.” He holds out a gloved hand and shakes yours. “My name is Marenashalasa Ah’Shalasa of Eldinera. But you can just call me Maren.” He turns and looks in the direction you’ve pointed, spotting Stoneburg on the horizon. “We were so close...” he murmurs. “Yes, let’s gather up what we can and get to town as quickly as possible.”

He prays over his fallen companions as you load the sled, and then you set out together.

Ratigator
2020-01-04, 07:45 PM
They walked through the tundra night, Toklo taking the lead and pulling the sled.

"I couldn't help but to notice you're a follower of Alseta. I bet you have an interesting story to tell."

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-05, 05:12 PM
The Elf doesn’t seem to need light, and you walk under the sunset glow and then the starry sky in relative comfort. The dog pads along beside his master, never straying far.
“My life has been fairly quiet, up until recently.” Maren says. “I’m the youngest of three sons in a minor noble house in Eldinera. Mostly I’ve spent my time studying, and three years ago I joined the priesthood of Alseta. There wasn’t much else for me to do; my older brother is an accountant and the eldest being groomed to replace our father someday. He’s been betrothed since his 10th birthday...” Maren sighs and trails off for a minute before continuing, his violet eyes almost entirely pupil in the dark. “I have never been lucky in love, or dice, or even in the stars if my birth chart is to believed, so I decided to make my own luck by spending my life in service to others; hence the priesthood. Six months ago I attained full Order status and at the ceremony...” He trails off again and walks in silence. “Well. Alseta gave me a vision of Mount Alseta, the great northern temple, thought lost forever.” He pauses as you two come to a small rise and peer across the remaining distance to Stoneburg.

The massive marble columns shine in the light of many torches and the stars themselves, though many show the wear and tear of the centuries. Around the edges of the ‘mountain’ it’s clear where the village has sprung up, protected by stone and semi-permanent ice walls. The gate is closed by this time of night but getting through wont be a problem for Toklo.

“I don’t believe it. People just live here?”

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-05, 06:52 PM
As you two stand on the rise, out of the corner of your eye Toklo spots the barest movement. Turning quickly you spot a sabre cat, preparing to spring!

ROLL INIT:

Toklo: 22
Sabre: 16
Maren 14

Ratigator
2020-01-05, 06:57 PM
"Indeed. Some folk spend their whole lives there. It's never been challenged to the best of my knowledge it's protected from the elements, and is the only true landmark for miles. We call it the Stoneberg."

Than he nodded towards the predator stalking them and continued talking without skipping a beat.

"Try not to get eaten by a tundra predator, the irony alone would be too much."

Hr drew his short sword in one hand and began waving his torch at the beast, hoping to drive it off.

Ratigator
2020-01-06, 12:12 PM
Toklo charged at the feline torch first, getting it focused on the fire. He than circled around it so its back was to the wounded Elf and dog in the darkness. It merely watched him in momentary confusion at this bizarre behavior coming from prey. Than at the last instant the Kitsune dropped the torch and swung his shortsword at the predators eyes, missing slightly and cutting a crimson line across the left side of the saber tooth's snout. Than Toklo took a step back, looking for an opportunity to attack again or back out of range of those claws.

“Maren” Toklo shouted past the wounded, angry, hungry predator “if you can contribute, this would be a good time!”

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-06, 09:34 PM
The young and inexperienced sabercat snarls and shrieks at the halfling’s blade and torch, batting ineffectually at both, thrown off it’s attack by the halfing’s charge. It begins to circle, looking for an opening.

Maren keeps himself as far from the terrifying animal as he can, muttering the words of a spell and holding his medallion.
“Why are there so many dangerous predators here?!” He asks no one in particular as he begins to glow with a subtle light. “Twice in one day...am I wearing a sign around my neck that says ‘Chew on me’?!” The poor city dwelling Elf seems quite distraught, but also determined.

Ratigator
2020-01-07, 09:16 AM
Toklo saw the glow and really hoped some sort of beam or summoned monster was about to appear. Usually he would turn into a fox than run and hide well before now, but he didn't dare give away his secret. He pressed forth, saw an opportunity and thrust with his blade. The tiger saw his strike coming and shifted its bulk, taking no damage.

"****!" the Kitsune said quietly to himself.

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-07, 01:18 PM
In response to this furious attack by the tiny meat, the saber cat gathered itself for a mighty leap, intending to bury it's prey with it's bulk. Unfortunately, it completely missed and landed hard on some stones. With a yelp of surprise and pain it turned it's small tail and ran. This was too much work, even for wounded smelling prey.

With a sigh of profound relief Maren relaxed his guard, happily watching the animal bound across the plain. His dog had stayed glued to his side the entire time.

Ratigator
2020-01-07, 01:52 PM
Toklo watched the saber tooth run.
"They're majestic and surprisingly graceful in the open planes."

When it was out of sight he turned to his traveling companions.
"Shall we continue than?"

He picked up the torch and sled rein and began to walk towards the Stoneberg.

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-12, 10:58 PM
After about a half hour’s walk, you stop at the stone walls that mark the edge of Stoneburg proper and proceed up the road into the building itself. This marble monstrosity is indeed a hand-built mountain of towering size, shelter nearly a hundred permanent residents and such travellers that pass through on occasion. The first building on the inside is, of course, an inn; The Frozen Fox can be seen through a gap from where you’re stopped outside the gate. The guard tonight is Brom, a large half orc fellow of peaceful demeanour, two tusks in his lower jaw capped in mammoth ivory to show his rank as Captain.

“Toklo!” He rumbles, only slurring a tiny bit thanks to the teeth. “Wasn’t expectin’ you back tonight, ‘specially not so late.” He gives you a quick smile and sizes up the Elf. “State your business, mate.” He does a double take, his little eyes popping wide. “Jumpin’ jackalopes! Yous an Elf!”

Ratigator
2020-01-13, 05:54 AM
"Be nice, I found this weary traveler after he and his buddies were found by a waking great bear. Maren seems harmless enough but keeps calling the Stoneberg by the wrong name."

He pulled the sled in as far as he could before beginning to unload its contents into a wheeled cart, several of which were kept by the entryway for this purpose.

Than Toklo added "And he's a healer. Play your cards right and he might just do something about your trick knee."

Than to Maren, Toklo gestured to the massive room at large. "Welcome to the Stoneberg."

A number of huts and small buildings made from stone, permagranate wood, and repurposed traveling materials were worked into neat rows. The guard house was most prominent by the gates with the tavern, baker, blacksmith, all-faith temple, barber, shoemaker, furrier, tailor, maidservant, and tanner clearly marked behind it, with another twenty or so more obscure businesses and residential houses beyond that. All of which was housed in the great hall of a truly massive cathedral. the floor was swept marble along the main thoroughfare with the dirt of a few centuries of tracked-in dirt creating the illusion of baron lawns attached to each structure, plots of cave adapted crops growing here and there.
The marble walls of the berg itself were brown and grey near the floor, turning pure white as it got higher and higher, disappearing into darkness (even for those that can see in the dark) by night but by day Toklo knew that the stylized image of two faces back to back in profile... symbols of Alseta were worked into the stone above convenient defacing height, with a massive one being central for those willing to walk the half mile or so needed to clearly see it, frost bats and tatters of some tapestry meant to cover it at some point clinging to bits.

"You had a rough day, I'll buy you a drink and a bowl of whatever they call food tonight at the fox."

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-15, 08:23 AM
Maren‘s eyes had narrowed suspiciously at the h’orc guarding the gate and his dog emitted a low growl, but Toklo smoothly talked around it all. With a curt nod to Brom he follows you into the town proper and takes in the sights. His eyes linger on the columns and his hand strays to his medallion when you pass the all-faiths church. Many folks are still out at this time of night and not a few gawk at the Elf as he passes by, and when you enter the Fox, the volume drops almost to nothing for a few seconds before coming back at twice what it was.

Behind the bar, Els Winebarrel is pouring precious mead into a small cup for an off duty guard as you enter and she flashes you a smile before she sees the Elf and she nearly drops the cup she’s filling.

Ratigator
2020-01-16, 03:24 AM
Toklo shot a "back off" look to a Human and an enlightened husky sitting at a table playing some form of poker they had devised before guiding Maren to the empty table next to it.

"We've got ice juice, mead, and something I think used to be lamp oil here. What will be your poison tonight? It's on me."

"Also, what is the plan, now that you're here?"

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-16, 01:43 PM
After carefully seating himself at the rickety looking table, Maren looked at Toklo.
“Plan?” he chuckled ruefully, his dog laying under the table, “My plans are all gone out into the snow now. No one back home would believe this...” he gazed around at the diverse crowd of folks at different wood or stone tables, the blazing hearth, the sturdy bar. “No one was supposed to be here. Not like this, anyway. We thought the North was full of primitive reindeer herders, trolls, giants and other unintelligent brutes. The temple is not supposed to be a city!” A bit of colour jumps into his cheeks. “It’s sacred to Alseta. Tomorrow I’ll need to begin exploring, create a map, talk to the townsfolk...” he digs a quill, ink and parchment out of his bag and writes on it for a few minutes, ignoring the rest of the room, and you, completely.

Ratigator
2020-01-17, 01:20 AM
"What was your plan before you came to the only solid structure in hundreds of miles?"

Toklo threw back a drink that was somehow purple, despite having no ingredients of that color. His vision doubled for a moment, but he kept a well-practiced straight face.

"You know, back when you thought everyone up here was too stupid to use it while you cleverly left food out to attract great bears to your camp in the spring?"

RowanOakleaf
2020-01-17, 01:40 PM
Else Winebarrel's younger cousin Dani appeared at their table just then, green eyes shining with curiosity, long blonde hair pulled on the top of her head in a knot.
"Hi!Orderinganyfoodtonight?Wehavefreshreindeersnowg oosestewor..." she stammered to a halt at the Elfs gaze.

"Do you have anything without dead animals in it?"
"...Porridge?"
"That will be fine I suppose." Maren want back to his paper for a few seconds and while he did Dani gave Toklo a Look over the Elfs head. She left with a shrug and went to the bar. Maren finished what he was writing and put everything away.

"I'm to make an inventory of the temple and of any artifacts and 'hold the fort as it were until my brethren arrive. My hired guards were supposed to accompany me but their meats attracted the bear. I suppose I'll have to hire new help." He sighed and Dani reappeared with his porridge.

Ratigator
2020-01-26, 10:44 AM
"Bearing in mind that folk have been calling this place home for generations, and will fight to the death to protect it as such, just what do you mean by 'hold down the fort'"?

He nodded his appreciation as the usual rare venison steak was placed before him.

"And just what do they think they are going to do when they get here?"