PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help creating a bigger bad

TrashPastor110
2020-01-03, 10:09 PM
Alright, so I am running a campaign where everyone lives in fear of the Lich King, he has been assembling the monster races and, against all odds, has somehow managed to unite them under one banner. But what they don't know is that the Lich King is actually uniting the monster races not to fight the standard races, but to unite the two against a greater threat.

So, what I need help with is creating that greater threat, I am aiming for a gurren lagann style twist where the big bad is actually a good guy who is aware of an even bigger bad. Thoughts?

Koo Rehtorb
2020-01-03, 10:14 PM
The Lich Queen. She's much faster than the King.

Madara
2020-01-03, 10:17 PM
Alright, so I am running a campaign where everyone lives in fear of the Lich King, he has been assembling the monster races and, against all odds, has somehow managed to unite them under one banner. But what they don't know is that the Lich King is actually uniting the monster races not to fight the standard races, but to unite the two against a greater threat.

So, what I need help with is creating that greater threat, I am aiming for a gurren lagann style twist where the big bad is actually a good guy who is aware of an even bigger bad. Thoughts?

Depending on the System I recommend aberrations with mind-effecting abilities. It comes with a reason for the Lich King to have become undead (for the immunities) and Far Realm monsters are an outside force that the material plane could unite against.

Aboleths or Mind Flayers

noob
2020-01-04, 07:13 AM
Makes a surprising amount of sense.

Otherwise I think a bigger evil guy could be an universe sized giant eldritch monster that lives out of any sort of rules and can destroy existence just by waking up.

Quertus
2020-01-04, 09:05 AM
Do a total reversal. Make it Goblins. Or dreams. Or something everyone loves, like television or magic items. Things no one would suspect as the BBEG, but are actually an insidious outside influence.

Lol. That moment when you realize that you are just a Pawn in a larger game.

Aboleths or Mind Flayers

Why do you tasty snacks keep getting all uppity, and try to paint us evolutionarily superior species as the villains?

If you look at your criteria,

Depending on the System I recommend aberrations with mind-effecting abilities. It comes with a reason for the Lich King to have become undead (for the immunities) and Far Realm monsters are an outside force that the material plane could unite against.

I think you'll find that "dreams" as the foreign invaders also works with the Lich King, and is even more "far realm"-y horror than just fashionable tentacles and moist skin.

Makes a surprising amount of sense.

Otherwise I think a bigger evil guy could be an universe sized giant eldritch monster that lives out of any sort of rules and can destroy existence just by waking up.

But how does one band the forces of good and evil together… to keep Azathoth asleep?

noob
2020-01-04, 09:15 AM
Do a total reversal. Make it Goblins. Or dreams. Or something everyone loves, like television or magic items. Things no one would suspect as the BBEG, but are actually an insidious outside influence.

Lol. That moment when you realize that you are just a Pawn in a larger game.

Why do you tasty snacks keep getting all uppity, and try to paint us evolutionarily superior species as the villains?

But how does one band the forces of good and evil together… to keep Azathoth asleep?
By stopping to make loud noises and trying to prevent noisy events?

Quertus
2020-01-04, 10:00 AM
By stopping to make loud noises and trying to prevent noisy events?

I mean, IME, people tend to be pretty quiet when they're dead…

noob
2020-01-04, 10:01 AM
I mean, IME, people tend to be pretty quiet when they're dead…

They are not: they keep doing noise in the varied afterlives: we are in a fantastic universe.
Also if everybody is dead we can not stop the noisy events that are not caused by creatures(ex: an asteroid entering the atmosphere of a planet)

Quertus
2020-01-04, 10:03 AM
They are not: they keep doing noise in the varied afterlives: we are in a fantastic universe.

Oh, lol! The final quest of the campaign is to kill the gods, and wipe out the outer planes? That's epic!

EDIT:
Also if everybody is dead we can not stop the noisy events that are not caused by creatures(ex: an asteroid entering the atmosphere of a planet)

Eh, the Lich could just use "sacrificing everyone” as the ultimate mitigating factor for their epic spell of universe-wide Silence. :smallwink:

Mr.Sandman
2020-01-04, 10:09 AM
Devil's. He prefers making his subjects Undead to stop them from getting more soldiers for their eventual conquest of the material plane.