PDA

View Full Version : Bolts from the grave and double sneak attack.

Meichrob7
2020-01-04, 07:45 PM
I often get eye rolls from my dnd friends for bringing up and trying out various methods of having a rogue make two attacks in a round that trigger sneak attack damage. This is possible RAW as long as the basic requirements for sneak attack are met and you make the attacks on different turns in the round. This works because

This (as far as I know) always uses your action and usually requires your bonus action and serious investment. If you are doing it alone and reliably. Any rogue can do it easily if the enemy provokes sneak attacks or a battle master fighter commands you to make an attack.

The main way to get this to work is having method of either gaining an additional action or a way to make an attack with just your bonus action, either way you then use your main action to ready an attack for another turn. The immediate thought is two weapon fighting but because off hand attacks require an attack action first, these don’t work. Generally you need some serious investment in multiclassing, a very rare magic item, or you need to wait till you gain haste as an arcane trickster.

The multiclassing options are berserker barbarian’s frenzied rage (which actually works better than you’d think), a fighter with action surge, or any sorcerer quickening one of the “make a melee weapon attack” cantrips as a bonus action. All three of these require a few levels and are limited in how often they can be used.

The scimitar of speed is the only official magic item that lets you make a bonus action attack without first taking the attack action. One of the planeshift books has a set of bracers that let you cast a cantrip as an action and bonus action but people rarely use planeshift and you’d still need to get the “make a weapon attack” cantrip with the elf race, a feat, or a level dip.

The last option is haste as an arcane trickster (or you could do it with another spell casting class so it’s a 4th way multiclassing can give you an attack without an action). This is something they don’t have access to until level 13 (beyond the scope of most campaigns) and unlike all the other PHB rogues, arcane trickster doesn’t double their damage with their level 17 feature meaning this option is less broken than it might otherwise seem.

All of these require a lot of investment and most of them don’t give you advantage on any of your attacks. Haste leaves you a free bonus action to gain advantage on one attack and a barbarian can use reckless attacks give you advantage that turn, so again one attack, but the rest don’t so even if you can trigger sneak attack with an ally within 5ft, you have a decent chance of missing without advantage.

Because the find familiar spell can be gained with a single level or a feat and the owl familiar can flyby and use the help action, if the character can gain advantage on one of their attacks alone, then with a familiar they can get advantage on two attacks.

I say all of this to give some context for how Bolts from the grave breaks the rogue action economy for far less investment than any other option.

Bolts from the grave activates after any cunning action, and fires off a dexterity fueled spell attack you are proficient with. This can benefit from sneak attack but uses up your sneak attack for the turn. That last line was there so you couldn’t attack and then fire a bolt from the grave to get two sneak attacks in one turn, but by simply holding an attack action and then using a cunning action you can still easily make two sneak attacks in a single round. Because the hide action and the new aim action both give advantage you can still gain advantage on the bolt from the grave spell attack which puts you at the required 1/2 which lets you effectively have permanent advantage if you have a familiar spamming the help actions

This method of gaining two sneak attacks per round is the strongest option by far. No other option gives you unlimited uses, most don’t give advantage on any attacks, and the two methods that do give advantage use up an action or bonus action the turn you activate them so you delay your “full damage” until round two.

It is also the option that is easiest to pull off, the only one that even comes close is the arcane trickster which can’t do this until level 13.

Bolts from the grave is a strong level 13 feature, comparing it to haste it’s shorter range (the spell attack has a range of 30 ft) but can be done more often and is quicker to start up. The revived rogue also doesn’t get a damage doubling feature later so this abuse of sneak attack triggers wouldn’t be inherently broken anymore, they’d be somewhat balanced if it was a level 17 feature.

I don’t think this topic has been brought up yet but I’ll take this down if it has. A lot of people have talked about this feature being broken in a similar way to eldritch blast, where dipping a few levels gives you a strong ranged attack that scales off a desirable stat, or how it’s strong because it gives you 2d6 free damage, or another chance to activate sneak attack if you missed with your attacks as an action, but I haven’t seen anyone talk about it’s synergy with multiple sneak attacks per round.

Mr Adventurer
2020-01-06, 06:43 AM
A Thief Rogue could just Use Magic Device a scroll of haste at level 13?

HappyDaze
2020-01-06, 07:37 AM
I doubt the final version will be so complex or leave so many possibilities for "creative use"/abuse, so I'm not going to spend too much brainpower on it. Cheers to you for the effort though.

Chronos
2020-01-06, 08:15 AM
First off, where is Bolts from the Grave from?

Second, is it a finesse weapon and/or a ranged weapon?

jaappleton
2020-01-06, 08:36 AM
First off, where is Bolts from the Grave from?

Second, is it a finesse weapon and/or a ranged weapon?

It’s from the Revived Rogue, from a recent Unearthed Arcana.

DarknessEternal
2020-01-06, 10:28 AM
Is there some errata changing sneak attack from “once per turn”?

The turn is the whole initiative sequence.

Malfunctioned
2020-01-06, 10:33 AM
Is there some errata changing sneak attack from “once per turn”?

The turn is the whole initiative sequence.

The turn is a single characters initiative sequence. A round is the whole one.

Nagog
2020-01-06, 09:00 PM
Kinda a wonky build, but depending on your DM, this may be able to get 2 sneak attack damage per turn.
Max Str Powerful Build race, grappler feat. With a 2400 lb carrying capacity, a 400 lb orc in plate is easily liftable, debatable on whether it's with one or two hands. Granting advantage on attack rolls against the grappled target, use another enemy as the surface you smack them against. In simpler terms: Smack one {Scrubbed} with Another {Scrubbed}. One attack roll, therefore one triggering of Sneak Attack. But it damages 2 targets, the Smacker and the Smackee.

Typically only works once with a stingier or average DM, more lenient DMs will find it entertaining enough to allow it regularly.

Zhorn
2020-01-07, 03:02 AM
In simpler terms: Smack one {Scrubbed post, scrubbed quote} with Another {Scrubbed post, scrubbed quote}

https://66.media.tumblr.com/187afe10ce134a705eea7cc22dfbec0d/tumblr_inline_owrvqbqGym1v0h5et_500.gif

Hardest part to get past here is trying to convince your DM that the grappled creature counts as either a finesse weapon or a ranged weapon for the slam.

As a DM, I'd want to allow it just for the comedy, but I'd also be concerned about setting the precedence in the game from there on :smalleek:

micahaphone
2020-01-07, 08:47 AM
The only area where I wish 5E had a more specific rule or example is the "hit enemy 1 with the still alive enemy 2". It happens surprisingly often in my group. The closest is tavern brawler, which mentions using a goblin corpse as a weapon. I've been winging it with grapples, roll some contested atheletic checks and a to-hit roll, and damage affecting both of them, but choosing what dice, proficiency, etc are all kind of winging it.

As to the OP, agreed. I remembered some note about this when the UA was first published. I agree that this is overpowered, as every other method for getting 2x sneak attack requires some resource expenditure, but this is just baked into the class freely. I don't know what I'd do fix it, other than some sort of weird "if you're holding your action, you don't get a bolt from the grave as a part of a cunning action" stipulation.

The other complaint about the subclass is that while it's a cool concept, and the archetype of the thief who steals from death itself is definitely an established story trope, this subclass does almost nothing mechanically that makes sense with that. No idea why you're better at shooting lasers compared to the arcane trickster, because you dodged the grim reaper. Token of Past Lives (get a free prof to move around to new stuff each long rest) and Revived Nature (adv against disease and poison, resistance to poison damage, only need a 4 hour long rest, no need to eat/sleep) make sense for the concept, and Connect with the Dead is certainly a good situational feature but the randomized perk is nigh useless to rely upon. Audience with Death is ripe for abuse, a weird game of whackamole research where your allies keep slitting your throat and you keep doing research. The capstone teleport is fine - it's level 17, your game will have far crazier powers by then.

Basically, I'd summarize the Revived Rogue as having way too many features stuffed into it, and the thematic features are too weak or situational, and the mechanically strong features seem to have nothing to do with the flavor of the subclass.

Hail Tempus
2020-01-07, 01:11 PM
A lot of players and DMs think there's something wrong with a rogue sneak attacking more than once in a round. However, all of the currently available methods require events to line up fortuitously (opportunity attack), a feat (sentinel) or a spell (Haste). I'd be opposed to allowing a rogue to get a second sneak attack as a matter of course.

Witty Username
2020-01-08, 02:36 PM
Is a rogue getting multiple sneak attacks a turn overpowered? I mean sneak attack is already considered something that should happen every round and they tend to do less damage, have less ac and less hp than martials, unless they are doing multiple sneak attacks via the turn vs round point and even then they are preforming adequately on damage not exceling.
Note this is second hand experience based on the boards, not personal.

Frozenstep
2020-01-08, 03:00 PM
Is a rogue getting multiple sneak attacks a turn overpowered? I mean sneak attack is already considered something that should happen every round and they tend to do less damage, have less ac and less hp than martials, unless they are doing multiple sneak attacks via the turn vs round point and even then they are preforming adequately on damage not exceling.

Multiple sneak attacks per round is extremely strong. It is too strong to give as a low-level class feature (takes until level 17 for single-class thieves/scouts to be able to sneak attack twice). There are other ways for a rogue to sneak attack twice, and much earlier before level 17, but they require teamwork (which deserves to be rewarded) or multiclassing (which gives up some sneak attack damage). Haste, battlemaster riposte, dissonant whisper opportunity attacks, etc.

So it shouldn't be given for free, but earned in some way. Bolt of the graves is a terrible step away from that.

JNAProductions
2020-01-08, 03:06 PM

In a word? Yes. Rogue Damage is perfectly competitive at one Sneak Attack per round.

Level
Fighter

Rogue

2d6+3
2d6+3

4d6+8
4d6+4

6d6+15
7d6+5

8d6+20
11d6+5

They're not one-to-one, as compared to a Fighter, but they're pretty close. And they have plenty of tricks a Fighter lacks-Cunning Action, Expertise, Uncanny Dodge, Reliable Talent... Their damage IS swingier (relying on one big hit rather than multiple smaller ones) but TWF both increases general damage (by 1d6) and MASSIVELY ups the reliability of Sneak Attack.

stoutstien
2020-01-08, 03:13 PM
In a word? Yes. Rogue Damage is perfectly competitive at one Sneak Attack per round.

Level
Fighter

Rogue

2d6+3
2d6+3

4d6+8
4d6+4

6d6+15
7d6+5

8d6+20
11d6+5

They're not one-to-one, as compared to a Fighter, but they're pretty close. And they have plenty of tricks a Fighter lacks-Cunning Action, Expertise, Uncanny Dodge, Reliable Talent... Their damage IS swingier (relying on one big hit rather than multiple smaller ones) but TWF both increases general damage (by 1d6) and MASSIVELY ups the reliability of Sneak Attack.

i agree with this IF the game in question does not play with feats which cranks up the fighter's damage exponentially where the rogue gets capped due to action economy.

Teaguethebean
2020-01-08, 03:19 PM

Level
Fighter

Rogue

2d6+3
2d6+3

4d6+8
4d6+4

6d6+15
7d6+5

8d6+20
11d6+5

I heavily disagree as you are ignoring PAM or GWM both staples of a fighter along with a fighting style. Rogues fall behind by a fair bit even without GWM as the fighter does at lv5 24.66 repeating average while rogues do a measley 18. About 2/3 of the damage the fighter does and by level 11 it is a wide gap. 40 vs 29.5 a large difference. The reborn rogue adds at lv5 10.5 damage per turn at the cost of reaction and bonus action and at lv11 it adds 21 easily more than a non optimized fighter but if the fighter picks up GWM or PAM it allows the rogue to remain competitive.

JNAProductions
2020-01-08, 03:37 PM
I heavily disagree as you are ignoring PAM or GWM both staples of a fighter along with a fighting style. Rogues fall behind by a fair bit even without GWM as the fighter does at lv5 24.66 repeating average while rogues do a measley 18. About 2/3 of the damage the fighter does and by level 11 it is a wide gap. 40 vs 29.5 a large difference. The reborn rogue adds at lv5 10.5 damage per turn at the cost of reaction and bonus action and at lv11 it adds 21 easily more than a non optimized fighter but if the fighter picks up GWM or PAM it allows the rogue to remain competitive.

So, a Rogue doing 21.5 damage (average of 7.15+9.21375=about 16.36 DPR) as compared to the Fighter's 24.66 repeating (average of 16.03 DPR) is awful? Averages computed assuming you need an 8+ to-hit.

A Fighter can nab a feat to improve their DPR at level 6 while still hitting 20 Strength at level 8, while the Rogue has no feats to really improve their DPR considerably, that is true. But here's the thing-outside of fighting, a Rogue is a lot better than a Fighter. So a Fighter out-damaging a Rogue is okay, as long as the Rogue doesn't fall too far behind.

And two Sneak Attacks a turn would put the Rogue solidly AHEAD of the Fighter-even assuming every attack hits (favoring the Fighter) the Rogue does 39.5 DPR (with three attacks, two of them proccing Sneak Attack) to the Fighter's 24.66 repeating. Doing the actual averages, assuming you hit on an 8+ base, even with GWM (assuming level 6) a Fighter gains less than 2 points of DPR using the -5/+10 feature. PAM helps more, giving them 10.3 damage (1d10+4, rerolling 1s and 2s) on a hit and 7 (1d4+4, rerolling 1s and 2s) on their BA attack, for a whopping 27.6 to the Rogue's 39.5 (with all hits and two Sneak Attacks).

Teaguethebean
2020-01-08, 03:59 PM
So, a Rogue doing 21.5 damage (average of 7.15+9.21375=about 16.36 DPR) as compared to the Fighter's 24.66 repeating (average of 16.03 DPR) is awful? Averages computed assuming you need an 8+ to-hit.

A Fighter can nab a feat to improve their DPR at level 6 while still hitting 20 Strength at level 8, while the Rogue has no feats to really improve their DPR considerably, that is true. But here's the thing-outside of fighting, a Rogue is a lot better than a Fighter. So a Fighter out-damaging a Rogue is okay, as long as the Rogue doesn't fall too far behind.

And two Sneak Attacks a turn would put the Rogue solidly AHEAD of the Fighter-even assuming every attack hits (favoring the Fighter) the Rogue does 39.5 DPR (with three attacks, two of them proccing Sneak Attack) to the Fighter's 24.66 repeating. Doing the actual averages, assuming you hit on an 8+ base, even with GWM (assuming level 6) a Fighter gains less than 2 points of DPR using the -5/+10 feature. PAM helps more, giving them 10.3 damage (1d10+4, rerolling 1s and 2s) on a hit and 7 (1d4+4, rerolling 1s and 2s) on their BA attack, for a whopping 27.6 to the Rogue's 39.5 (with all hits and two Sneak Attacks).
I never called rogue damage awful I simply called it weaker than a fighters additionally the rogue isn't attacking three times simply sneak attack damage plus an attack. Additionally this whole calculation ignores the damage spikes allotted through subclass such as a samurai's fighting spirit or a battlemaster precision strike.

Frozenstep
2020-01-08, 04:44 PM
I never called rogue damage awful I simply called it weaker than a fighters additionally the rogue isn't attacking three times simply sneak attack damage plus an attack. Additionally this whole calculation ignores the damage spikes allotted through subclass such as a samurai's fighting spirit or a battlemaster precision strike.

Does it also ignore the fact that rogue crits are far more valuable then a fighter crit? And that the rogue probably attacks at advantage every turn if they use a bow, increasing the chance of a crit? Or only only needs to hit 1 attack to get the majority of their damage through if they dual wield?

bendking
2020-01-09, 09:47 AM
Ya'll should definitely just use this calculator:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14WlZE_UKwn3Vhv4i8ewVOc-f2-A7tMW_VRum_p3YNHQ/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=116004031142298573395

Let me spoil things for you: An optimized fighter is way ahead of an optimized Rogue in terms DPR.