PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Had the idea of this....For this character need help smoothing it out!

MercCpt
2020-01-04, 08:49 PM
Hello i'm wanting to multiclass ass a paladin/sorc or sorc paladin
my original idea was 17 divine soul sorc / 3 oath crown pal starting level 1 sorc (of course 20th to test build) Background solider

My questions are the following:
Can I make it work as a Str based caster/fighter?
At low level e.g 8 going 5 sorc / 3 pal would it be better to just dip pal as 1 for now until i'm higher level or get pal oath asap?
What other races should I consider?
What other backgrounds should I consider?

Just in case temp starting stats from roll by 11,16,17,13,9,16 (would like it to be Scourge Aasimar +1 con +2 Cha)
Str: 16
Dex: 9
Con: 18
Int: 11
Wis: 13
Cha: 18

If you have any questions please get in touch!
The stats mentioned are NOT going to be in game stats they are just an example.

Bobthewizard
2020-01-05, 07:38 AM
That looks great. Paladin/Sorcerer is a hard multi class to mess up. I generally like paladin 2 over 3. Get divine strike and then start building your spell slots and sorcerer levels.

Here's a good guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass) for it.

Verble
2020-01-05, 11:20 AM
Race and background could be anything, it really depends on what type of character you want.

Mechanically speaking variant human, dragonborn, half elf, and aasimar are solid picks.

But if you're not looking to min/max there are plenty of other options. What story is interesting to you? What skills do you see your character being good at?

In an upcoming game I have a Dex based ratfolk paladin/sorcerer with the urchin background. An interesting point is that he doesn't have proficiency in Arcana as for him magic is just something that works.

I would say that if you're going to have low Dex then you want to use heavy armor, which means starting first level as a paladin. Doing this you gain heavy armor proficiency but lose Constitution saves.

I tend to favor 5-7 levels of paladin for their aura abilities and more hit points and bigger Lay on Hand pool.

Expected
2020-01-05, 03:56 PM
Hello i'm wanting to multiclass ass a paladin/sorc or sorc paladin
my original idea was 17 divine soul sorc / 3 oath crown pal starting level 1 sorc (of course 20th to test build) Background solider

My questions are the following:
Can I make it work as a Str based caster/fighter?
At low level e.g 8 going 5 sorc / 3 pal would it be better to just dip pal as 1 for now until i'm higher level or get pal oath asap?
What other races should I consider?
What other backgrounds should I consider?

Just in case temp starting stats from roll by 11,16,17,13,9,16 (would like it to be Scourge Aasimar +1 con +2 Cha)
Str: 16
Dex: 9
Con: 18
Int: 11
Wis: 13
Cha: 18

If you have any questions please get in touch!
The stats mentioned are NOT going to be in game stats they are just an example.
Yes, you can make it work as a Str-based Paladin. If possible, I suggest using point-buy and choosing Variant Human over Aasimar for the feat at level 1 (Sorcadins are ASI/feat-starved) and I'd take Resilient: Con for reasons mentioned later. Either way, try to start with 16 Str (you need 13 for multiclass and 15 for plate armor), 15 Con to take Resilient: Constitution for 16 Con and proficiency in Con saves which will help you to maintain concentration, and 16+ Cha. If you manage to find Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Belt of Giant's Strength, you can avoid investing ASI's into Str. If you're planning on using s&b, be sure to take War Caster.

I strongly suggest starting Paladin and going to either 2 or 6 immediately before multiclassing into Sorcerer. You'll get weapon and armor proficiencies and proficiency in Wis and Cha saves. 2 and 6 (sometimes 3 depending on the Oath) are the major breakpoints for Paladin--Divine Smite and spellcasting at 2, and Aura of Protection at 6.

As I mentioned, I'd consider Variant Human for a Str build or Half-Elf (Drow) taking the Oath of Heroism (UA) for Darkness/Faerie Fire, Elven Accuracy, and a 2 level dip into Hexblade Warlock for EB, Agonizing Blast and Devil's Sight. You'd get to roll 3d20's and would crit on a 19-20 (from both HBC and Channel Divinity for 1 minute/SR). You can use Cha as your attack modifier because of Hex Warrior.

As for your combination of levels, I'd choose either Paladin 2/Sorcerer 18, Paladin 6/Sorcerer 14 for a Str build or Paladin 6/Sorcerer 12/Warlock 2 for the Half-Elf.

The best background for Paladins, in my opinion, is Acolyte and for deities like Ilmater, reformed Criminals.