PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Gnome in a power suit character concept: Which class to represent and fill out party?

togapika
2020-01-05, 02:41 AM
So I'm using the Warforged race to represent a character who claims to be a Gnome wearing a power suit designed by himself and his father. I'm just giving the GM the backstory that he believes and allowing him to decide if I'm a crazy Warforged or actually a Gnome in a power suit. The other party members will include: Hexblade/Rogue, Cavalier Fighter, Moon Druid, and War Cleric.

Both he and his father were/are incredible inventors making all sorts of wondrous things, but his father longed to see the many sights of the world. Due to his fathers older age and health problems, they devised a protective suit that would allow him to travel the world despite his many issues. The local/national/whatever government got wind of their invention, and saw the military application of soldiers who wouldn't need supplies or to sleep.
When they attempted to take the suit by force, the son donned the suit to attempt to repel their forces and save his father, but to no avail as his father died due to heart attack/lab fire/falling debris/whatever. Due to some malfunction, the suit being unfinished, the fire sealing the mechanisms, or some other reason the son was sealed into the suit. Now bereft of any family, the son travels to stay out of reach of those who would take the suit from him for mass-production for war.

The two class options I'm considering are Warlock (GM is letting me use Int for stat instead of CHA) or Artificer. If I went Warlock I'd probably be using the Fiend abilities just named differently and using INT, whereas if I went Artificer I'd probably go Battle Smith. Warlock would give me good ranged DPS and I can take invocations that I can flavor as suit upgrades (Ex Devil's Sight=Night Vision, etc.), while Battle Smith would let me start with Med armor and then pick up the feat at 4 to get heavy armor. Battle Smith would also be slightly less MAD, as I could just focus on INT and CON, since heavy armor doesn't use DEX and I can get around needing a super high strength by infusing a bag of holding.

Which is a better route?

moonfly7
2020-01-05, 09:20 AM
So I'm using the Warforged race to represent a character who claims to be a Gnome wearing a power suit designed by himself and his father. I'm just giving the GM the backstory that he believes and allowing him to decide if I'm a crazy Warforged or actually a Gnome in a power suit. The other party members will include: Hexblade/Rogue, Cavalier Fighter, Moon Druid, and War Cleric.

Both he and his father were/are incredible inventors making all sorts of wondrous things, but his father longed to see the many sights of the world. Due to his fathers older age and health problems, they devised a protective suit that would allow him to travel the world despite his many issues. The local/national/whatever government got wind of their invention, and saw the military application of soldiers who wouldn't need supplies or to sleep.
When they attempted to take the suit by force, the son donned the suit to attempt to repel their forces and save his father, but to no avail as his father died due to heart attack/lab fire/falling debris/whatever. Due to some malfunction, the suit being unfinished, the fire sealing the mechanisms, or some other reason the son was sealed into the suit. Now bereft of any family, the son travels to stay out of reach of those who would take the suit from him for mass-production for war.

The two class options I'm considering are Warlock (GM is letting me use Int for stat instead of CHA) or Artificer. If I went Warlock I'd probably be using the Fiend abilities just named differently and using INT, whereas if I went Artificer I'd probably go Battle Smith. Warlock would give me good ranged DPS and I can take invocations that I can flavor as suit upgrades (Ex Devil's Sight=Night Vision, etc.), while Battle Smith would let me start with Med armor and then pick up the feat at 4 to get heavy armor. Battle Smith would also be slightly less MAD, as I could just focus on INT and CON, since heavy armor doesn't use DEX and I can get around needing a super high strength by infusing a bag of holding.

Which is a better route?
For your characters theme and overall use? Probably artificer. You'd be getting an iron defender who could be a robot if you wanted, and your attack stat and casting stat would be the same. In place of the admittedly awesome reflavored invocations you'd get massively increased crafting times at higher levels, and enough attunement slots to replace the invocation upgrades(admittedly at higher levels) but in the here and now you'd have great versatility, and even the smallest ribbon feature you get at level one, basically prestidigitation, would be very cool thematically for you. If you went artillerist instead of Battle Smith you could have your turrets ride on your back since they're either small or tiny, and they could act like automated extensions of you you'd just powered up.

CTurbo
2020-01-05, 07:05 PM
I love this idea and may possibly steal it one day hahaha

But yeah I think Artificer fits best. Envoy Warforged allows you a +1 to Con and 2 other stats, and your spellcasting focus(tool) can be integrated into your body.

LtPowers
2020-01-05, 07:13 PM
I played with a Gnome named Tony Stark. He was a Sun Soul monk and flavored his Radiant Sun Bolts and other abilities as features of the armor.

Powers &8^]

Damon_Tor
2020-01-05, 07:23 PM
You could play as an actual gnome, get Battlesmith, them design your Iron Defender as your mech and use it as a mount.

Sigreid
2020-01-05, 10:03 PM
So, in the adventure the Lost Laboratory of Kilwash (or however it's spelled, the guy who made the lobster themed sub) there is a gnome actually doing this, power suit and all.

Bosh
2020-01-05, 10:29 PM
Guy in my group wants to run this, he'll be a warforged eldritch knight to represent his powers.