PDA

View Full Version : Campaign in the Shadowfell

Ranckorr
2020-01-05, 01:52 PM
I was hoping I could get any suggestions or tips on how to run a good campaign in the Shadowfell with the encounters and story based off the Seven Deadly Sins (Not the anime). I read some lore about it and I can tell there is a lot of spooky aspects of it but I don't know everything that might make a smooth campaign.

Expected
2020-01-05, 02:56 PM
The resident deity of the Shadowfell is the Raven Queen. The Shadowfell is also inhabited by the Shadar-Kai, a race of Elves that worship her. I would definitely incorporate them into your campaign somehow.

Maybe have important NPCs guilty of each deadly sin and make the Shadowfell akin to the nine layers of Hell where the severity of the sin affect their standing in the realm. That or maybe (with the cooperation of your PC's) have them each choose a sin and build their backstory/character around it. It sounds fun.

Sparky McDibben
2020-01-05, 02:58 PM
I seem to recall a previous edition supplement called Gloomwrought that opened the area up for adventure. You might try picking that up. I'd recommend picking a sin you want to highlight, and then picking a monster that would highlight that. Lust is easy (succubus/incubus/cubus), but what about sloth? I'd use a green hag for that - have her use mimicry to impersonate people in desperate situations (that she is faking with minions), lure the party in to help, and then spring the trap on them while she dimension doors out of there (this assumes some modifications to the hag's statblock), or potentially fakes her own death anyway. Basically, the hag exists to punish virtue and promote sloth. It tries to get the party to keep their heads down. It wants the heroes to ignore people in need, because by doing so they are committing a petty harm.

The hag is a corrupting influence, and through a slow degradation, it tries to make these "heroes" into everyone else in the Shadowfell - someone who's covered in muck.

LordEntrails
2020-01-05, 03:11 PM
There have been a few supplements through the years, I think 4E had one called 'Shadowfell' but I don't remember it giving me the help with the 'flavor' that I have wanted. I would love to know of something that gives a good flavor and outline for the plane, but I have yet to find any that resonate with me.

Sorry :(

Millstone85
2020-01-06, 06:47 PM
MToF describes the sorrowsworn, monstrosities that are emotions given form in the Shadowfell. Two subcategories, called the Angry and the Hungry, have obvious matches among the deadly sins. Two others, called the Lonely and the Wretched, could be linked to lust and envy. That leaves the Lost, which do not suit greed, pride, or sloth. You might try homebrewing a few more sorrowsworn.

Now, when I imagine these creatures walking through the dark echo of a city on the Material, I get clear Silent Hill vibes. Going further in that direction, I could see the PCs meeting NPCs that are unknowingly creating the sorrowsworn, or discover that they have been doing so themselves. For example, the two bickering heads of the Angry could bear a resemblance to the parents of a PC or NPC. And of course, the adventure would have that one invincible monster the party has to hide or run away from, like a nightwalker.

It could also turn out that some or all of these characters have been dead all along. For example, the fighter could be a sword wraith, in such denial of his unglorious death that he thinks himself alive still. Should one of the PCs or NPCs grow in power but ultimately fail to escape whatever emotional loop they are in, it could get the attention of the Dark Powers, who by 5e lore are beings of the Shadowfell, leading to the creation of a new Domain of Dread. Submitted for your approval, a way to add some levity to this conclusion. Picture, if you will, the Dark Powers appearing in the form of a man with the mannerisms of Rod Serling. :smallwink:

Scarytincan
2020-01-06, 08:21 PM
Was also gonna recommend the angry /hungry etc. As a while mtf is a good resource coupled with the dmg for this. The balhannoth is another creature that could be used here that's native to the upsid- er, shadowfell. And undead. Lots of undead.