PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class [PEACH] To Free A Vestige, To Change The World

Blueiji
2020-01-06, 01:04 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ccwzaJL.png

https://i.postimg.cc/kgkRFwc1/Screen-Shot-2020-01-05-at-9-41-41-PM.png

”To feel the pain of others. That is my wish, selfish as it is, today.”

— Giles Miller, Bladebound Martyr

Some warriors find strength in stoicism. Subjected to a lifetime of stress, to the rigors and horrors of violent combat, how could one not become inured? The alternative, to remain tender and open, is unthinkable. It would be a death sentence, an unbearable burden, to insist upon empathy and softness while living a life of war. Fighters do not weep.

Yet, it is this very vulnerability that the Bladebound Martyr chooses. Exposed to trials of both the sword and spirit, these initiator-pactmakers arm themselves not to conquer the world, but to embrace it. Ever the idealists, each Bladebound Martyr hopes that by bearing witness, by shouldering weight and continuing on, they may find a way to make a difference.

Requirements

Skills: Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks.
Special: Suppress Sign class feature, Zealous Surge class feature.

Hit Die: d10
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Wis), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st level: (4+Intelligence modifier) x 4
Skill Points at each additional level: 4+Intelligence modifier

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Maneuvers Known
Maneuvers Readied
Stances Known

1st
+1
+2
+0
+2
Bleeding Heart, Stones Piled High, Soul Binding +1

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+3
Weap and Bear Witness, Soul Binding +2

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+3
Soul Binding +3

4th
+4
+4
+1
+4
Kindred Soul, Soul Binding +4

5th
+5
+4
+1
+4
Soul Binding +5

6th
+6/+1
+5
+2
+5
The Fear and Trembling, Soul Binding +6

7th
+7/+2
+5
+2
+5
Soul Binding +7

8th
+8/+3
+6
+2
+6
The World We Choose, Soul Binding +8

9th
+9/+4
+6
+3
+6
Soul Binding +9

10th
+10/+5
+7
+3
+7
To Let Go, Unbound Martyr, Soul Binding +10

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Bladebound Martyr is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, and shields.

Soul Binding: At each level, your soul binding ability improves as if you had gained a level of the Binder class. This increases your effective binder level, the bonus you receive on binding checks, and the level and number of vestiges you may bind. You do not, however, gain any other abilities or advantages a Binder would have gained.

Maneuvers: At each even-numbered level, you gain one new maneuver known from the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, or White Raven disciplines. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it. You add your full Bladebound Martyr levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At 3rd level and 7th level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.

Stances Known: At 1st, 5th, and 9th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, or White Raven discipline. You must meet a stance’s prerequisite to learn it.

Bleeding Heart (Su): At the crux of every martial discipline is an ideal. Like artists, every initiator’s work is a tangible incarnation of something intangible within them. The only difference is that an initiator’s medium, rather than being paint or prose or polished stone, is combat. As a Bladebound Martyr, the philosophical hearts of each of your sublime schools now beat as one, each directing blood towards a single body of ideals. By initiating certain types of maneuvers, you tap into this reservoir of ideation, fueling the powers granted to you by the vestiges you bind. Once per round, whenever you initiate any of the three types of maneuvers described below, you may subtract 1 round from the recharge counts of all abilities granted to you be vestiges you currently have bound.

Devoted Spirit strikes that restore you or an ally’s hit-points. These maneuvers remind you of the administering of tender care, mindful commiseration, spiritual healing.
Stone Dragon strikes that grant you the ability to overcome damage reduction, ignore hardness, or deal extra damage against objects or constructs. These maneuvers remind you of the breaking of bonds, the shattering of evil, and the crumbling of injustices.
White Raven strikes or boosts that grant your allies the ability to attack or move during your turn or which change an ally’s initiative count. These maneuvers remind you of the uplift of others, the deconsolidation of power, and the universality of our experiences.
Any maneuver granted to you by levels in this class. These maneuvers remind you of your vestiges, bringing you closer to the suffering they’ve endured and the lessons they’ve learned.

Stones Piled High (Ex): You have felt the weight of a hundred sorrows, and though you can’t bear a single more, you must carry on. Unwilling to inflict any sort of bondage upon another soul, you may no longer utilize the Suppress Sign class feature to hide a vestige’s sign.

Weep and Bear Witness (Su): There are some who, unwilling and uncaring, choose to look away. That apathy is one of the few things which arouses genuine hate in you. At 2nd level, you gain a special strike that draws power from your vestige allies to strike out at your foes. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 3rd level strike, and belongs to the Stone Dragon discipline. By initiating this maneuver, you must take a standard action to make a single melee attack. If this attack hits, it deals damage as normal. In addition, your target must make two saving throws, one Fortitude and one Will. A failed Fortitude save inflicts the sickened condition for five rounds, while a failed Will save inflicts the stunned condition for one round. It is possible for your target to resist both of these effects, only one, or neither based on the results of their saving throws.

In addition, if your target fails both saving throws then a small fraction of one of your vestiges is left imprinted upon them temporarily. Choose one of your vestiges, and for the rest of the duration you keep it bound, your target also manifests that vestige’s sign and influence, as if they were bound to the same vestige. Your target gains no other effects or benefits of binding the vestige in question, and you continue to manifest the sign and influence yourself.

Kindred Soul (Su): Among vestiges, hidden away in their realm between life and death, there are whispers of a martyr who is a friend to the lost and forgotten. Bound to your blade, you inspire confidence in the otherworldly spirits who are drawn to you, and so you enjoy the graces of their goodwill. At 4th level, you gain a special boost increases the potency of the powers your vestiges grant. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 4th level boost, and belongs to the White Raven discipline. By initiating this maneuver as a swift action, you may select an amount of options off of the Pact Augmentation Abilities table equal to half your class level. You gain the benefits of these abilities for one round.

You may not select “+2 insight bonus on initiative checks” option on the Pact Augmentation Abilities table if you are currently engaged in combat.

If you select the “+5 hit points” option on the Pact Augmentation Abilities table, you gain the temporary hit points rather than an increase to your base hit points. At the beginning of your next turn, when the effects of this boost would end, you may first choose to empty any damage in your Delayed Damage Pool into your temporary hit points (thereby ensuring you gain use from this ability).

The Fear and Trembling (Ex): You made an oath to yourself when you became a Bladebound Martyr, one to never look away. Death will come someday, but until it does you intend to carry all the weight you can, to live from start to finish. At 6th level, you may use the Zealous Surge ability an additional number of times per day equal to the number of vestiges you are able to bind at one time.

The World We Choose (Su): Villainous ambitions, hopes lost on the wind, stomach-churning horrors--these are the threads from which each and every vestige weaves its tale. These are the ideas and motifs which fill stories of old, characterizing the dead and gone. You know, as a Bladebound Martyr, that we have not come so far. This is the world we choose, and it is up to us whether anything changes. At 8th level, you gain a special counter which lets you shatter the traditions of old and begin anew. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 5th level counter, and belongs to the Devoted Spirit discipline. By initiating this maneuver as an immediate action, you may produce and effect similar to the Break Enchantment spell, but with a few key differences.

This maneuver may only target a single creature, and must be used within one minute of when the enchantment, transmutation, or curse you seek to end began its duration.
When attempting to end an instantaneous effect, you may make an initiator level check (1d20 + initiator level, maximum +15) rather than a caster level check.
This maneuver is supernatural, but is not a spell or spell-like ability. It has no verbal component and can be initiated as an immediate action (rather than having a casting time of 1 minute).

To Let Go (Su): The ultimate act of the Bladebound Martyr is not one of martial excellency or supernatural might, but one of mercy. You have always hoped to change the world for the better, to bring some measure of freedom and dignity to those so often denied it. At the pinnacle of your craft, you have found a way to make a difference. At 10th level, you gain a special strike which you may only ever initiate once. This is readied just as a normal martial maneuver but once expect you may never ready it again. It is a 7th level strike, and belongs to no discipline. By initiating this maneuver, you must take a standard action to make a single melee attack against a seal you have made using the Soul Binding class feature. The seal must belong to a vestige which you have a great personal connection with--one with which you have made frequent contact and forged many pacts. You do not need to make a roll for this attack, it always hits as long as there are no obstructions. You attack deals damage as normal to the surface or material upon which your seal has been drawn. In addition, your attack disrupts the geometries of the seal, rendering it useless for binding purposes. At the end of your turn, the vestige associated with the seal you performed this strike upon is permanently and irrevocably freed. No binder, including you, may ever contact or bind the vestige in question ever again. This effect may not be undone in any way, even by divine means.

Unbound Martyr (Su): You have always believed in something worth fighting for. Today you won a battle towards that end--not the first, and certainly not the last, but another small step towards something worthwhile. You feel as though you are looking into the sun, and you are not blinded. At 10th level, you gain a special stance which you may only initiate if you have performed the special strike granted by the To Let Go strike. This is stance is entered and exited just like a normal stance, providing benefits while you are in it. It is a 7th level stance, and belongs to no discipline. While you are in this stance you become immune to binding, entanglement, grappling, imprisonment, maze, paralysis, petrification, pinning, sleep, slow, stunning, temporal stasis, and web.

Elves
2020-01-06, 12:32 PM
Clarify the concept and how it connects to binding. Is it about empathizing with the desolation of vestiges trapped in the void? I think the Stones Piled High flavor text is the right way to put it. You bind vestiges to "shoulder their burden". The class is a vestige charity foundation.

Bleeding heart - simplify. Just strike maneuvers from the crusader class and this class.

Stones piled high - yes, I like being forced to show the sign and it makes sense with the idea of having to carry that vestige's burden. But I'd remove the Stone Dragon part since every TOB homebrewer puts in a "stone dragon on the ground" clause and it gets tedious.

weep, bear witness - simplify, make it one save for sickened plus manifest sign. the manifest sign is the cool part so you want it to happen often

kindred soul more or less good.

world we choose - it should have some binding interaction like the other abilities this class grants.

unbound martyr - functional, but handing out a bunch of immunities as capstone isn't very interesting. Instead I would do something that follows directly from "to let go" -- maybe the freed vestige accompanies you as a friend, or you can call upon its aid, etc.

Liberation devotion - unnecessary.

For project in sig there's a binder/initiator PRC called "Bladebinder", do you mind if I incorporate a couple of these abilities?

Blueiji
2020-01-06, 08:44 PM
Clarify the concept and how it connects to binding. Is it about empathizing with the desolation of vestiges trapped in the void? I think the Stones Piled High flavor text is the right way to put it. You bind vestiges to "shoulder their burden". The class is a vestige charity foundation.

world we choose - it should have some binding interaction like the other abilities this class grants.

unbound martyr - functional, but handing out a bunch of immunities as capstone isn't very interesting. Instead I would do something that follows directly from "to let go" -- maybe the freed vestige accompanies you as a friend, or you can call upon its aid, etc.

Liberation devotion - unnecessary.
I definitely see what you're talking about. The Liberation Devotion feat and the Unbound Martyr class feature (which is, in essence, freedom (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedom.htm) the stance) are both things that I could shave-off in order to refine and streamline the class' theme and purpose. I think I'm going to rework those abilities and simplify the fluff--perhaps rename the class as well to reflect the less moralizing take on its sctick.

Bleeding heart - simplify. Just strike maneuvers from the crusader class and this class.
Would that make the vestige abilities recharge to quickly? I could also make it so that you pick one of your three disciplines and its any maneuvers of that discipline which trigger the recharge.

Stones piled high - I'd remove the Stone Dragon part since every TOB homebrewer puts in a "stone dragon on the ground" clause and it gets tedious.
To clarify, is the Stone Dragon clause tedious because lots of homebrewers already have something similar, or because most people ignore the "on solid ground" rule anyway?

weep, bear witness - simplify, make it one save for sickened plus manifest sign. the manifest sign is the cool part so you want it to happen often
This makes sense--so should I ditch the stunned side of the ability entirely? If the stunning capacity is removed, can this maneuver still cut it as a 3rd level strike?

For project in sig there's a binder/initiator PRC called "Bladebinder", do you mind if I incorporate a couple of these abilities?
Go for it! :smallsmile:

Elves
2020-01-06, 09:45 PM
Would that make the vestige abilities recharge to quickly? I could also make it so that you pick one of your three disciplines and its any maneuvers of that discipline which trigger the recharge.
Or maybe just limit it to maneuvers learned through this class. Either way.

To clarify, is the Stone Dragon clause tedious because lots of homebrewers already have something similar, or because most people ignore the "on solid ground" rule anyway?
It just feels like it's in there because you think it's something about the system that should be different, rather than because it's natural to this class. Ymmv.

This makes sense--so should I ditch the stunned side of the ability entirely? If the stunning capacity is removed, can this maneuver still cut it as a 3rd level strike?
Well, the point would be that it would be situational. Chupoclops in a party with a fear build, dahlver-nar to interrupt some kind of ritual. Maybe have it also stun @ IL 12 or 15, to keep it relevant. Alternately, have it be no save to resist the influence, or perhaps only save next round.

My biggest thing would be the capstone which like I said I think could be more unique/thematic.

Blueiji
2021-08-20, 08:13 AM
Did some house-keeping on this old piece of homebrew. Cleaned up the reliance on a reskinned version of the Travel Devotion feat (what was I thinking?), got rid of the built-in Stone Dragon houserule, ditched the alignment requirement, and edited some of the fluffy bits (still needs another pass though).

At this point my main goals with this prestige class are to:
— Simplify the Bleeding Heart ability.
— Give the capstone a more panache. I still feel that it’s thematic for the class to get Freedom (as per the spell) as a Stance, but its also a bit boring.

Any and all PEACHing is welcome, but PEACHes specifically in regard to those two goals will be especially helpful.

noob
2021-08-21, 05:58 AM
As much as it seems glorious to free the vestige there is two things that can make this confusing.
1: Vestiges of creatures that are still alive and free (it actually is a thing and it is just plain confusing to use this ability since the creature is already free and is just intentionally exploiting the vestige system to increase their influence)
2: Some vestiges are supposed to be creatures weakened up to the point they can not have individual existence and this ability is not said to grant back existence so does it grants existence to creatures that more or less lacks it or is it just supposed to kill them?

Tzardok
2021-08-21, 07:09 AM
I concur. Vestiges are things that were expelled from reality. By allowing Binders to call on them, they get a foot back in. It gives them the ability to experience things again. Severing that connection means casting out the vestige into the darkness and the void. IMO that doesn't fit with the rest of the fluff of the class. Freeing a vestige means resurrecting it. What this ability does is the opposite of that.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-21, 08:50 AM
Bleeding Heart doesn't seem to need the entire paragraph of fluff? The effect is the exact same no matter what school of maneuver you use.

It might be the Iron Chef in me, but I'm really not a fan of a prestige class that requires specific class features from two classes to enter, even in the case of theurge classes. I'd probably recommend entry requirements that heavily imply Crusader, but doesn't require it, like the Zealous Surge feature. Maybe something like "3 Devoted Spirit maneuvers, at least one which must be 2nd level or higher" or something along those lines. Fits in line better with the other ToB subclasses. Fear and Trembling could grant you Zealous Surge at a reduced rate, or stack your levels in this class and the Crusader class, like all the PrCs that advance familiar/animal companion/etc... progression.

I understand the fluff of the To Let Go feature, but I hate it. Ignoring the fluff implications, this is literal license for for you to screw with people (or them to screw with you) just by the existence of this ability.

noob
2021-08-21, 09:50 AM
Bleeding Heart doesn't seem to need the entire paragraph of fluff? The effect is the exact same no matter what school of maneuver you use.

Actually there is stone dragons maneuvers that grants dr and those do not trigger the effect if you got them from the crusader class.
It is probably not the only maneuvers which could fail at triggering the class feature.

icefractal
2021-08-22, 03:40 AM
I think the Bleeding Heart details are somewhat interesting, and while a bit lengthy in a class description wouldn't be an issue in play - you just note whether each maneuver triggers Bleeding Heart when you learn it; put an asterisk next to it or something.

For Let It Go, I'd change it to:
The binding diagram no longer has the ability to compel the vestige. It can choose to refuse or accept any pact at will, meaning usually a "poor pact" (the type where the vestige influences the binder's behavior), and for vestiges that don't want to exist could mean they refuse all pacts and fade away, but those that do enjoy existing just get a better deal.

Personally I like the Freedom stance, but for something more proactive, maybe also give a Boost which applies the effects to someone else for an amount of time.