PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ultimate Psionics: Claws of the Beast

Felyndiira
2020-01-06, 12:50 PM
The Ultimate Psionics text for this power has the following clauses:

You take no penalties for two-weapon fighting, and neither attack is a secondary attack unless you are using manufactured weapons in the same round, in which case any claw not used to wield a weapon is considered a secondary attack (just like any other creature which uses both manufactured and natural weapons).

If you attack with a manufactured weapon or another primary natural attack, you can’t make any claw attacks in that round.

These two lines contradict each other, so I was wondering if there's any errata for this power that explains RAI for this power more clearly.

Psyren
2020-01-06, 06:14 PM
Looks like an error to me. The original (3.5) version of the power stops at the underlined part here:

You take no penalties for two-weapon fighting, and neither attack is a secondary attack unless you are using manufactured weapons in the same round, in which case any claw not used to wield a weapon is considered a secondary attack (just like any other creature which uses both manufactured and natural weapons).

So the intent of the original power seems to have been that you could use claws and only claws, but would take no penalties for attacking with both of them. In Pathfinder, specifying that you take no penalties was unnecessary since claws are a primary natural attack.

My best guess is they tried to remove that restriction (letting you use the claws as secondary weapons now), but then forgot about the second line you quoted which prevents that.

Of course, the cheesy way around it is simply to attack with your claws first. By the time the "you can't use claws" clause (ha!) kicks in, you've already used them :smallbiggrin: but beware of flying books if you try that one.

Felyndiira
2020-01-07, 03:11 PM
I ended up talking it over with my GM and we agreed that they probably just forgot to remove that sentence. Thanks :).

It's unfortunate that it won't be errata'd now.