PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Paladin

Garfunion
2020-01-06, 03:33 PM
I know the paladin is a melee class but what if you gave the paladin a way to use their channel divinity to allow them to make a ranged weapon attack with their smite spells. Would that be a broken ability?

I know some will point at the ranger but their spell list is lacking in “cool” ranged weapon spells. There is also the fighter: arcane archer, however the archetype is a bit underwhelming in my opinion.

Willie the Duck
2020-01-06, 03:53 PM
I know the paladin is a melee class but what if you gave the paladin a way to use their channel divinity to allow them to make a ranged weapon attack with their smite spells. Would that be a broken ability?

Well, given that you can always MC into fighter or warlock and be acceptable at range anyways, it's hard to say whether it would be broken. It certainly would be running rough shod over some of the actual limitations the designers put into the class to justify all the other ways the class is so good.

moonfly7
2020-01-06, 04:03 PM

I know some will point at the ranger but their spell list is lacking in “cool” ranged weapon spells. There is also the fighter: arcane archer, however the archetype is a bit underwhelming in my opinion.

I've asked myself the same question and I can't find a big balance issue. Most 1st levels damage spells deal 3 dice of damage, scaling up by one die for every higher slot spent. With paladin you have your weapon die+ 2d8 at 1st level and then 1 extra die every level above 1st. The highest ranged damage possible at level 1 would be 2d8 plus 1d10 if your using a heavy crossbow, and most spells generally have a longer range, so I don't think that at least damage wise it's broken at all, even with an extra die for undead.

Nidgit
2020-01-06, 04:05 PM

Are you suggesting a Paladin subclass based around ranged combat or making every Paladin subclass viable for ranged combat.

If it's the latter, the four things I would suggest are:
1. Add the Archery Fighting Style as an option.
2. Allow for Dex as a substitute for Strength for multiclassing.
3. Allow Smites to work from range.
4. Let Smite spells to work from range as well.

The former option is a lot more interesting but requires a lot more work. Could make for a very interesting support-based or Roguish Paladin though.

Garfunion
2020-01-06, 04:15 PM
Are you suggesting a Paladin subclass based around ranged combat or making every Paladin subclass viable for ranged combat.

If it's the latter, the four things I would suggest are:
1. Add the Archery Fighting Style as an option.
2. Allow for Dex as a substitute for Strength for multiclassing.
3. Allow Smites to work from range.
4. Let Smite spells to work from range as well.

The former option is a lot more interesting but requires a lot more work. Could make for a very interesting support-based or Roguish Paladin though.
Just an archetype no need to change the entire class.

I’ve been looking at the paladin’s spell list and there are at least three(4) spells that work with ranged attack; divine favor, branding smite, elemental weapon, and ensnaring strike(OoT Ancients). So I kind of wonder why don’t the other smite spells work with range?

Arkhios
2020-01-06, 05:15 PM
Just an archetype no need to change the entire class.

I’ve been looking at the paladin’s spell list and there are at least three(4) spells that work with ranged attack; divine favor, branding smite, elemental weapon, and ensnaring strike(OoT Ancients). So I kind of wonder why don’t the other smite spells work with range?

Probably because Paladin is intended to be a mostly-melee class, and that most smite spells are unique to Paladin.

Nidgit
2020-01-06, 08:29 PM
Got bored and tried my hand at making a ranged/support-focused Paladin Oath. Thoughts?

Oath of Empowerment

The Oath of Empowerment is a bond made not to a higher authority but to the fellow man. A paladin of this Oath works to build up his or her peers and those less fortunate. Where misfortune abounds, where the people struggle to rise up, the paladins of the Oath of Empowerment come to lift up and support those who need it. They look for the courage and talent in those around them and seek to draw those features out, so that the people and communities they touch may thrive long after they are gone.

Tenets of the Oath of Empowerment:

Kindle the Spirit. The heart of a lion lies within every cub. Encourage the potential you find in every person and give them the resources to flourish.

Share the Glory. The greatest feats are accomplished by no one person alone. Credit even the smallest helper, even if they may not credit themselves.

Temper the Reckless. An ego grown too large is a danger to oneself and others. Know your limits, and steady those who may not know their own.

Every Setback Has Meaning. Failure is needed for true growth. Look honestly at your mistakes and embrace the lessons within them. Give others the room to do the same, but do not let them fall into despair.

Oath Spells:

3rd level: Guiding Bolt, Protection From Evil and Good
5th level: Magic Weapon, Warding Bond
9th level: Beacon of Hope, Thunder Step
13th level: Death Ward, Freedom of Movement
17th level: Dream, Swift Quiver

Channel Divinity

Awakened Potential. You can use your Channel Divinity to transfer some of your power into another person. As an action, you can touch a willing person. That person gains the benefits of any one spell that is currently active on you. Additionally, you can make the target the epicenter of any number of your active Auras instead of yourself.

Stroke of Inspiration. You can use your Channel Divinity to tease out the nascent talents of those around you. As an action, you can choose one skill. One person you can see within 60 feet of you has proficiency in that skill for 10 minutes.

Additionally, when you take this Oath, you can use your Divine Smite ability on ranged weapon attacks.

Aura of Inspiration. Beginning at 7th level, you can use your bonus action to grant any ally within 10 feet of you advantage on their next attack. At 18th level, the range of this ability increases to 30 feet.

Improved Divine Smite. Improved Divine Smite's damage also applies to ranged weapon attacks instead of only melee attacks.

Guardian's Strikes. Beginning at 15th level, you can time your strikes to create openings for others. Whenever you hit a target with a weapon attack, one ally within 5 feet of the target may make an attack against the same target as a reaction.

Champion of the People. At 20th level, you can embody the hopes of others to become a protective champion. As an action, you can gain the following benefits for 10 minutes:

Your speed increases by 10 feet.

When you hit a creature with an attack, that creature has disadvantage on attacks against all creatures other than you until the start of your next turn.

When an ally within 30 feet of you hits a creature with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to empower the ally's attack with a Divine Smite. You expend a spell slot as normal and roll the additional radiant damage as per a normal Divine Smite. This attack does not benefit from Improved Divine Smite.

Nagog
2020-01-06, 08:47 PM
Got bored and tried my hand at making a ranged/support-focused Paladin Oath. Thoughts?

Oath of Empowerment

The Oath of Empowerment is a bond made not to a higher authority but to the fellow man. A paladin of this Oath works to build up his or her peers and those less fortunate. Where misfortune abounds, where the people struggle to rise up, the paladins of the Oath of Empowerment come to lift up and support those who need it. They look for the courage and talent in those around them and seek to draw those features out, so that the people and communities they touch may thrive long after they are gone.

Tenets of the Oath of Empowerment:

Kindle the Spirit. The heart of a lion lies within every cub. Encourage the potential you find in every person and give them the resources to flourish.

Share the Glory. The greatest feats are accomplished by no one person alone. Credit even the smallest helper, even if they may not credit themselves.

Temper the Reckless. An ego grown too large is a danger to oneself and others. Know your limits, and steady those who may not know their own.

Every Setback Has Meaning. Failure is needed for true growth. Look honestly at your mistakes and embrace the lessons within them. Give others the room to do the same, but do not let them fall into despair.

Oath Spells:

3rd level: Guiding Bolt, Protection From Evil and Good
5th level: Magic Weapon, Warding Bond
9th level: Beacon of Hope, Thunder Step
13th level: Death Ward, Freedom of Movement
17th level: Dream, Swift Quiver

Channel Divinity

Awakened Potential. You can use your Channel Divinity to transfer some of your power into another person. As an action, you can touch a willing person. That person gains the benefits of any one spell that is currently active on you. Additionally, you can make the target the epicenter of any number of your active Auras instead of yourself.

Stroke of Inspiration. You can use your Channel Divinity to tease out the nascent talents of those around you. As an action, you can choose one skill. One person you can see within 60 feet of you has proficiency in that skill for 10 minutes.

Additionally, when you take this Oath, you can use your Divine Smite ability on ranged weapon attacks.

Aura of Inspiration. Beginning at 7th level, you can use your bonus action to grant any ally within 10 feet of you advantage on their next attack. At 18th level, the range of this ability increases to 30 feet.

Improved Divine Smite. Improved Divine Smite's damage also applies to ranged weapon attacks instead of only melee attacks.

Guardian's Strikes. Beginning at 15th level, you can time your strikes to create openings for others. Whenever you hit a target with a weapon attack, one ally within 5 feet of the target may make an attack against the same target as a reaction.

Champion of the People. At 20th level, you can embody the hopes of others to become a protective champion. As an action, you can gain the following benefits for 10 minutes:

Your speed increases by 10 feet.

When you hit a creature with an attack, that creature has disadvantage on attacks against all creatures other than you until the start of your next turn.

When an ally within 30 feet of you hits a creature with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to empower the ally's attack with a Divine Smite. You expend a spell slot as normal and roll the additional radiant damage as per a normal Divine Smite. This attack does not benefit from Improved Divine Smite.

I really like this! Really love the support-based theme. I'd recommend looking at adding something to allow them to use their Lay on Hands at range. This would allow them to still heal those on the front line without sacrificing their spell slots or their range. :)

Man_Over_Game
2020-01-06, 11:00 PM
Honestly, I always thought the Oath of Devotion was well qualified to be a ranged character.

Has more auras, so you're suited to being in the middle of your team instead of the front lines.

Has more Concentration spells, so you have incentive to avoid being attacked.

You can enhance your weapon to have a bonus to your attack rolls, and is not limited to range.

Tack on Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert and go to town.

Personally, I'd advise against allowing ranged versions of Divine Smite.

DS is already pretty boring of a feature that replaces the more interesting Spell Smites. Ranged combat is considerably more boring than Melee, as things like positioning and choosing actions are much more simplified at range.

Combine both and you might as well just allow them to cast Magic Missile with a Bonus Action.

Arkhios
2020-01-07, 02:13 AM
I have to agree on the matter of Divine Smite being only for melee.

Ranged combatants have an advantage over melee combatants due to the inherent mobility of fighting from range. Ranged characters are in much less danger than those who are in melee, whose purpose is to keep the melee creatures locked in melee. More melee damage potential helps with that.

Nagog
2020-01-08, 11:44 AM
I have to agree on the matter of Divine Smite being only for melee.

Ranged combatants have an advantage over melee combatants due to the inherent mobility of fighting from range. Ranged characters are in much less danger than those who are in melee, whose purpose is to keep the melee creatures locked in melee. More melee damage potential helps with that.

I tend to throw a lot of PC-like enemies at my players, with a current focus on fighting Paladins, so having the ability to smite and range can go both ways.

stoutstien
2020-01-08, 11:48 AM
It should be noted that some of the smite spells work at ranged. Branding, banishing, and some of the expanding options like ensnaring strike work on any weapon attack

Flashkannon
2020-01-08, 01:02 PM
It's worth noting that Mike Mearls (not the most authoritative source, I'll admit) said (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/11/06/is-there-a-game-balance-reason-paladins-dont-have-archery-style-ranged-smite/) there's no mechanical problem with giving paladins ranged smite and the Archery style.

I do quite enjoy the idea of an arrow burning with holy light, so I might be a little biased, here :smalltongue:

da newt
2020-01-08, 01:24 PM
In my (sort of ignorant) opinion, if you allow Divine Smite to be delivered with ranged weapons, I'm pretty sure a clever optimizer could create a fairly OP MC (Archery FS, XBE, SS, EA ...) A HEXblade-Sorcadin that can Divine Smite with a hand crossbow, hexblade's curse, HEX, and an IMP giving HELP sounds crazy (but I didn't do the in-depth analysis to figure out the specifics).

Other than that though - I really like the idea of a Sniper Paladin. (dishing out divine justice from the grassy knoll way over there ...)