PDA

View Full Version : Revised beast Master hunter builds?

Spacehamster
2020-01-06, 04:48 PM
Have you good folks tried the UA BM that actually seems fun and decent and if so how did you build it?
Seems prudent to go for something that guarantees a bonus action attack every turn since you miss out on extra attack, so either quarterstaff and shield or glaive with polearm master and a STR build, crossbow master and hand crossbow or dual rapiers and two weapon feat + style?

Wolf seems nice with pack tactics and chance of proning opponent, put its ASI’s into maxing DEX for hit/damage/ac and getting 16 STR for better proning.

Also thought if the feat that gives cantrips and a level 1 spell might be worth it for booming blade or gfb and mage armor for animal companion since its no concentration 8hr duration might be worth it?

CTurbo
2020-01-06, 05:40 PM
I played a TWF Revised BM Ranger in a one shot and it was a lot of fun. I wanted to give it a true test so I kept it straightforward AKA no gimmicks or minmaxing other than the fact that our stats were rolled and a bit higher than the standard array. I can't remember what they were exactly but I started with an 18 Dex, and had a pretty good Con and Wis too I believe 16 and 16.

Anyway, I went Wood Elf with a Panther. and we were at level 8/9. I maxed Dex and took Mobile. I bumped my Panther's Str twice to make it 18. The DM would have allowed me to give the Panther a feat provided it made sense. As a DM I would allow the same. Something like Mobile, Alert, Lucky, etc... would make sense for a beast. I guess that's probably not RAI though.

If you want something gimmicky that's probably pretty awesome, There is always the Kobold with Mounted Combat riding it's Wolf. Both have Pact Tactics for full time advantage. Of course you must be TWF and take the Dual Wielding feat so you can dual wield TWO lances lol

As with any Ranger, I find it hard to take a lot of levels in the class without wanting to multiclass out into Rogue or Fighter or something. Something I find interesting is that Coordinated Attack should stack with another classes Extra Attack feature so Revised BM Ranger 5 and 5 levels of Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, or even Paladin would net you and your beast 2 attacks per round.

I actually made a Str focused BM Ranger with Wolf/Wolf totem Barbarian split class build with the Sentinel feat that looked REALLY good on paper, but of course requires 10 levels minimum to REALLY start working.

And lastly, if you roll really good stats and want to try an off the wall build that would be awesome, a small character Paladin 6/BM Ranger X with the mounted combat feat build would be fun. It would be nearly impossible to kill your companion.