PDA

View Full Version : Magic Initiate Artificer- should it be a thing?

diplomancer
2020-01-06, 05:32 PM
So, unlike the other half casters, artificers have their own list of cantrips. Any reason not to allow magic initiate artificer that anyone can think of? Wizards might make good use of it.

stoutstien
2020-01-06, 06:03 PM
Grabbing guidance + sanctuary/cure wounds on a wizard is only thing I can see. Overall not an unreasonable houserule.

nickl_2000
2020-01-06, 06:11 PM
It was left out on purpose if I recall a tweet from JC correctly, but now that the weapon damage spell is gone I see no harm in it.

stoutstien
2020-01-06, 06:35 PM
The biggest boom would actually be to an artty who took this. Being able to grab extra cantrips that work with Alchemist and artillerist goes a long way.

Nagog
2020-01-06, 08:08 PM
I've had a theoretical character who had it. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but it is unique now I think about it as Artificer is the only half-caster with cantrips. Taking Magic Initiate-Paladin or Ranger doesn't really make sense as you'd only get the 1st level spell if your DM allowed it at all. I don't see why it's not possible considering a class like Bard and Warlock have it, and EB and Vicious Mockery are both quite nice spells.

NaughtyTiger
2020-01-07, 09:36 AM
It was left out on purpose if I recall a tweet from JC correctly, but now that the weapon damage spell is gone I see no harm in it.

the weapon spell is gone? shoot i missed that.

nickl_2000
2020-01-07, 11:28 AM
the weapon spell is gone? shoot i missed that.

Yup, from the perspective of someone who wants to do all the damage it sucks. From a person who likes to see balance, it is the right decision.

NaughtyTiger
2020-01-07, 01:00 PM
Yup, from the perspective of someone who wants to do all the damage it sucks. From a person who likes to see balance, it is the right decision.

makes sense. i can't find this, it is still in the may 2019 version (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/artificer-returns).

Pex
2020-01-07, 01:07 PM

It was only +1d6 damage, same as Hex and Hunter's Mark. The ability to change the element per round was a ribbon. If anything it's Elemental Weapon that's wrong, too high for the ability and Concentration. It's never worth the 3rd level spell slot.

nickl_2000
2020-01-07, 01:14 PM
It was only +1d6 damage, same as Hex and Hunter's Mark. The ability to change the element per round was a ribbon. If anything it's Elemental Weapon that's wrong, too high for the ability and Concentration. It's never worth the 3rd level spell slot.

Hex and Hunter's Mark required a bonus action to change target. Elemental Weapon pulled in through a dip into a PAM fighter is pretty brutal. That is why I saw it as broken.

MeeposFire
2020-01-08, 01:29 AM
Grabbing guidance + sanctuary/cure wounds on a wizard is only thing I can see. Overall not an unreasonable houserule.

You can just do that by taking magic initiate picking cleric. Yea cure wounds would be slightly weaker but I personally do not think of it as a big deal as it will only change by a couple of points (whatever the mod difference between your int and your wisdom) though I would rather take healing word as a 1st level cure wounds is not that great to me especially since you only get 1/long rest I would rather have healing word to get my ranged bonus action heal. Less heal but more useful more often for longer I think.