PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Build Advice for Draconic Sorcerer

FoxDropz
2020-01-06, 08:04 PM
How would you build a Draconic Sorcerer?

- Using Standard Array (15-14-13-12-10-8).
- No Multiclassing.
- PHB only.
- Campaign Level 1 to 12.

Basically, I wanna build a Blaster that can dish a lot of damage and have some sort of CC. Also taking advantage of that CHA on social situations.
Im imagining something similar to my Mage on Classic WoW.

1. Race?
2. Background?
3. Ability Scores?
4. ​Spells?
5. Feats/ASIs?
6. Equipment/Weapons?

bid
2020-01-06, 08:26 PM
Half elf 8 16 14 10 12 16.

False identity and wanderer are the nicest background features IMO, just complement them with skills that match your story. No need to use one of the sample background if you can do better.
For instance: wanderer + perception / survival + herbalism kit / language if you want the solitary traveler concept.

AgenderArcee
2020-01-06, 09:39 PM
What element are you interested in?

FoxDropz
2020-01-06, 09:44 PM
What element are you interested in?

Definitely Fire!

AgenderArcee
2020-01-06, 10:15 PM
Nice, fire is classic and definitely the easiest if you're limited to PHB. :)

For ability scores you want to prioritize Cha of course, then Dex and Con. Half-elf is the best choice, but Standard Human or Variant Human (Elemental Adept) are good too, and Drow or Lightfoot Halfling could work as well.

Fire Bolt will of course be your go-to damage cantrip. Message, Mage Hand and Minor Illusion can all be useful. I wouldn't bother with Shocking Grasp, just Disengage if someone gets into melee range of you. Chill Touch can be quite useful if you encounter a group of enemies with a healer in it.

1st level spells: Shield, Burning Hands, and one or two of these utility spells: Sleep, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Detect Magic.

2nd level spells: Scorching Ray is your damaging spell at this level, Invisibility and Hold Person are both very useful. Enhance Ability can definitely come in handy out of combat (and sometimes during it).

3rd level spells: Fireball for sure, and Hypnotic Pattern is amazing crowd control. Everyone in your party will love you if you take Haste and then Twin it. Counterspell or Dispel Magic are great to have on hand. Fly can be very useful when you need your melee allies to be able to fight a flying monster, and remember it can also be Twinned.

Speaking of Metamagic, don't underestimate Subtle Spell. It's essential for casting charm spells in the open, and will also let you cast spells while tied up, unless they have material components.

4th level: Polymorph can be very useful. Wall of Fire works with your Elemental Affinity, and can be a major boon for battlefield control.

TBH after this we get higher than I've ever played a Sorcerer so idk if I'd be much help lol.

Remember that your spells known are very limited but you can switch out one spell when you level up, so experiment to see what you like using and what you can drop.

Make sure to max your Cha and get Elemental Adept (Fire). If you start running into a lot of fire-resistant enemies, you might want to take Elemental Adept before getting your Cha to 20.

You don't really need much in terms of equipment, since you have natural armor and don't use weapons. If you can influence what magic items you get in any way, Wand of the War Mage is always a good bet, Cloak of Protection is good, Ring of Spell Storing or Pearl of Power can help you save spell slots.

J-H
2020-01-06, 10:39 PM
Make sure you have at least one go-to non-Fire spell and cantrip. Magic Missile is a good choice for a spell. I like Chill Touch as a cantrip, since it deals rarely-resisted necrotic damage, prevents healing/regeneration, and also causes undead attacking you to have disadvantage.

The sorcerer (level 8) in my campaign missed with 9 Scorching Ray and 2 Eldritch Blast (Spell Sniper spell) rays in a row against the level boss last week. He said he was about to just upcast Magic Missile. The boss did have very high AC (21), and he has taken feats instead of ASIs, so his CHA is only 17.

If you have a reliable way to generate advantage (iffy), Elven Accuracy (XGTE) may be worth a look for double advantage.

Smoothjedi
2020-01-07, 01:16 AM
If you have a reliable way to generate advantage (iffy), Elven Accuracy (XGTE) may be worth a look for double advantage.

Unfortunately he did mention PHB only.
I think the advice given is pretty good. The most frustrating things to me about making a sorcerer is feeling like I'm just 2-3 spells away from being awesome, and wishing I got another metamagic at like 6 or something.
If you really want to just focus on blasting with some social aspects, I'd go half elf for good stats and skills, and pick up subtle and empowered metamagic.
Subtle will let you really excel in social settings, especially if things go sideways with a secret charm or suggestion or to pin the blame of a fireball on someone else.
Typically I like building a buff sorcerer, as twin really shines here, but it's expensive for a blaster. Quicken is also quite good, but you can only follow up with a cantrip. For a warlock or paladin multiclass, it's amazing, but with that option off the table, I think empowered would be more effective and efficient. Empowered is also cheap, and works with subtle as well.
Heightened might be a good choice for your level 10 option.

Theaitetos
2020-01-07, 02:47 AM
Yeah, hard to add anything here.

I'd recommend Shocking Grasp over Chill Touch as additional damage cantrip, since you want a little energy type variety, and a non-ranged spell attack cantrip if you're caught in melee. Shocking Grasp is a great choice since it denies your opponent an opportunity attack when you hit, so you can move away – twinnable if necessary.

As for CC, either take Hold Person for close combat situations or Web. The latter is a good way to prepare a Fireball the next round.

However, if you want to have FUN, then how about trying a crazy build? Lightfoot-Halfling, take Ritual Caster (Wizard) at 4, Find Familiar (either Hawk, Owl, Bat, or Raven), then use Enlarge/Reduce (Reduce) as your concentration spell and ride your "Little Dragon" familiar into battle, casting Firebolts & Fireballs from its back. If you're really light (<25lb), then a Hawk should be able to carry you without the Enlarge/Reduce spell and you could concentrate on giving your familiar Dragon Breath. In the latter case, cast Mage Armor to increase its armor; in the former, the familiar can simply take the Dodge action every turn to stay safe. Or have a cleric party member cast Sanctuary on it. :smallamused:

CTurbo
2020-01-07, 03:58 AM
I agree with these guys. This is a very simple yet very effective build.

Half Elf 8 16 14 10 12 16

Max Charisma and Elemental Adept is pretty much mandatory for FIRE elemental Sorcs. This doesn't leave much room for anything else.