PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars D20 section ?

Pugwampy
2020-01-07, 01:48 AM
I am surprised there is no Star War table top section here . Is this game so unpopular ?

The DND company chugs out rule books and miniatures for it . Its not purely Sword and Sorcery but I think its close enough . I only played one game with friends but the similarities to DND make it no different to say pathfinder . I literally have my DM special fairy hub town in set DND land and how could i not add Ewoks to that ? Its teddy bears man and I dont even need to change any basic rules , they are right there .

That Noble class in Star War Rules with a few tweaks and swopping laser pistols for simple weapons etc would make an excellent DND class . Imagine the chaos and insanity a bard like class who has daily access to hard currency and is a wookie race with rage ability would add ? As a Dm i live for these moments .

We have multiple DND worlds a spell jammer or portal could connect to .

What do you guys think ?

Koo Rehtorb
2020-01-07, 02:18 AM
I think the Fantasy Flight Star Wars systems are better.

Anonymouswizard
2020-01-07, 02:27 AM
I think the Fantasy Flight Star Wars systems are better.

Bah, Star Wars d6 is the best! (But yeah, I'll agree that the FFG version fits better than the d20 version, d20 isn't really a great system for anything.)

Anyway, I believe Saga Edition tends to go in the Older D&D/other systems section, ice got no idea where the previous version goes. For your idea of mixing Star Wars content with D&D, the 3.5 forum is probably best for that, or Homebrew for other editions.

Anonymousjedi signing off.

Scots Dragon
2020-01-07, 04:56 AM
Bah, Star Wars d6 is the best! (But yeah, I'll agree that the FFG version fits better than the d20 version, d20 isn't really a great system for anything.)

Anyway, I believe Saga Edition tends to go in the Older D&D/other systems section, ice got no idea where the previous version goes. For your idea of mixing Star Wars content with D&D, the 3.5 forum is probably best for that, or Homebrew for other editions.

Anonymousjedi signing off.

Seconding D6.

FFG is fine of course and I’ll use the ruleset for its various specific elements like lore and worldbuilding.

Luccan
2020-01-07, 11:49 AM
I am surprised there is no Star War table top section here . Is this game so unpopular ?

The DND company chugs out rule books and miniatures for it . Its not purely Sword and Sorcery but I think its close enough . I only played one game with friends but the similarities to DND make it no different to say pathfinder . I literally have my DM special fairy hub town in set DND land and how could i not add Ewoks to that ? Its teddy bears man and I dont even need to change any basic rules , they are right there .

That Noble class in Star War Rules with a few tweaks and swopping laser pistols for simple weapons etc would make an excellent DND class . Imagine the chaos and insanity a bard like class who has daily access to hard currency and is a wookie race with rage ability would add ? As a Dm i live for these moments .

What do you guys think ?

I don't really know anything about the various Star Wars TTRPGs, other than people fighting about the best one, but the 3.5 subforum kind of acts as a catch-all for talking about the different D20 games that aren't other versions of D&D. So either there or here in the general RPG forum is your best bet to discuss it.

2020-01-07, 11:52 AM
The best system for playing Star Wars is Shadowrun. This is my hill to die on.

Also we generally put the d20 Star Wars content in the "AD&D/other systems" section.

Koo Rehtorb
2020-01-07, 11:59 AM
Man Shadowrun isn't even the best system for playing Shadowrun.

LibraryOgre
2020-01-07, 01:17 PM

What do you guys think ?

The Mod Ogre: Generally, Star Wars games have wound up in the Older D&D/AD&D and Other Systems subfolder. If you're specifically wanting to mix it into 3.x D&D, it might fit better there, or homebrew, if you're wanting comments on changes you're making.

Ain't that the truth. It's always been a bit of a slog to get that game running right; like Star Wars, I'm probably going to make it happen for Savage Worlds, just because it's an adequate system that I know comfortably well.

redwizard007
2020-01-11, 10:12 AM

The words of the prophet. May his image never be scribbled in purple crayon.

Clistenes
2020-01-15, 02:32 PM
I think it sad that Disney has declared all the old lore non-canon.. we had tons of descriptions of planets, alien species, starships, companies...etc.

Declaring them non-canon will discourage people from taking interest in that lore, and it will take a very long time to rebuild a new canon lore.

farothel
2020-01-15, 03:46 PM
I've only ever played D6 Star Wars, a long time ago. I really liked the system.
As to the lore, nobody stops you from using it in your own games (if we would ever run another Star Wars game, I'm sure we will).

Anonymouswizard
2020-01-15, 04:20 PM
I think it sad that Disney has declared all the old lore non-canon.. we had tons of descriptions of planets, alien species, starships, companies...etc.

Declaring them non-canon will discourage people from taking interest in that lore, and it will take a very long time to rebuild a new canon lore.

You can run a game with whatever lore you want, but from a business perspective it made sense, clean slate and potentially less need to please fans by making sure they didn't retcon anything.

And just to clear one thing up, the old EU was too massive for them to do a soft reboot, so a hard reboot with a 'we'll bring works and elements across if we think they should' was almost certainly their best option.

From what I've heard the new EU isn't exactly bad, just with a different focus (which honestly was shown the differences in style and focus between The Force Awakens and Heir to the Empire) and with less raw content due to being younger. Honestly, the thing I dislike most about the new canon is the lack of any knowledge on who the greatest Sith Lady the old continuity, Darth Revan, has been replaced by in the new continuity. But for games nothing stops you from pinching from the old EU.

Brookshw
2020-01-15, 06:48 PM
You can run a game with whatever lore you want, but from a business perspective it made sense, clean slate and potentially less need to please fans by making sure they didn't retcon anything.

Not sure how nuking everything is anything less than retconning everything :smallconfused:

For my money, d20 SW needs a massive overhaul. Ship health was ridiculously low and Jedi burning hp to use their abilities was questionable design, especially in light of no real canon support. Sure, Jedi's got tired, but not that quickly. Then again, some abilities were pretty ridiculous to begin with.

Pleh
2020-01-16, 02:46 PM
Honestly, the thing I dislike most about the new canon is the lack of any knowledge on who the greatest Sith Lady the old continuity, Darth Revan, has been replaced by in the new continuity. But for games nothing stops you from pinching from the old EU.

How long have you been in that cage? Revan was a man, not a woman.

Anonymouswizard
2020-01-16, 03:43 PM
How long have you been in that cage? Revan was a man, not a woman.

I mean, okay, I'll admit, I'm making assumptions about Revan based on their personal parts. When was Revan revealed to be Trans?

In all honestly, 'Revan was a man' annoys me, because the developers of KotOR1 and KotOR2 seem to have been on the 'Revan was a woman' side, and it's just another case of not only 'men is the default protagonist gender', but also 'the only people who play video games are men who want to play men'. I will stand by Revan being a woman.

GrayDeath
2020-01-16, 04:06 PM
Well, it was also decided the Exile was a Woman..

So, "one of each must be included, because....reasons". ^^

Pleh
2020-01-16, 07:37 PM
I mean, okay, I'll admit, I'm making assumptions about Revan based on their personal parts. When was Revan revealed to be Trans?

In all honestly, 'Revan was a man' annoys me, because the developers of KotOR1 and KotOR2 seem to have been on the 'Revan was a woman' side, and it's just another case of not only 'men is the default protagonist gender', but also 'the only people who play video games are men who want to play men'. I will stand by Revan being a woman.

I was having fun quoting a dialogue option in Kotor 2. But canonically, Revan was male.

I mean, he showed up in TOR and we see his face.

LibraryOgre
2020-01-17, 11:46 AM

I didn't get that lean, myself, but I do know in the Darth Revan novel (where Revan went after KOTOR), Revan was a dude (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Revan), while the Exile was a lady. (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Meetra_Surik)

But, of course, it all being "deep history", their genders do not particularly matter.