PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Boss Monster - UPDATED Mournfallow, the Great Tree

BasilicaNero
2020-01-07, 12:13 PM
https://i.imgur.com/x2FogjE.jpg https://i.imgur.com/Opx80nn.jpg

I am currently the DM for a long running game (off and on for 8+ years). I took over for our 'forever DM' a little while ago and in an effort to give as close to a true player experience to him as possible so I try very hard to not ask him for help and I have been doing pretty well.

The current party is a party of 4, all at 8th level and are nearing the end of a long dungeon crawl. They have been clearing an ancient druid temple/fortress currently serving as a base for bandits who have harnessed a powerful artifact to allow them to teleport. At the top of the Fortress they will find the source of that power is actually being harvested from an ancient slumbering Living Tree which possessed (possesses) the ability to planehop.

I have never built a custom monster before so this is my first attempt. I have built a model for the creature and here are two pictures of it for inspiration and scale.

The encounter will involve them facing off against the remnants of the bandit gang forming a last stand at the top of the fortress. If certain conditions are met the tree (which is also up there) will awaken. The party will have options for how they handle the encounter such as allying themselves with the tree or possibly fight it so I need the tree fully statted out. It's main schtick is that its has no move speed: its roots run deep throughout the fortress and the party has encountered the roots on every level.

I used a post here called " 3.5 Monster Making for the Feeble Minded" as my guide.

Any advice or encouragement is appreciated:

Original Stat Block:

Mournfallow, the Great Tree
Gargantuan Plant Outsider (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice 12D8 (147)
Speed 0 ft. (0 squares)
Initiative: +0
Armor Class 20 (+10 Natural); touch 10; flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple +9 / +27
Attack Slam +14 (3d6+6) x2 B
Full-Attack Full attack +14/+9
Space 20 ft.; Reach 25 ft.
Special Attacks Slam (3d6+6 B), Claw Swipe 2d6+6 x2 S (15 ft. line), Improved Grab +27, Constrict (1d12 +6) x2, Throw Object +9 (2d6 +6) x2.

Has access to these spell-like abilities: Hibernation, Teleport Object 3/day, Entangle 5/day, Stone Spikes 5/day, Warp Wood 7/day, Ironwood 3/day, Root 5/day

Special Qualities Damage Reduction 5/Fire, Spell resistance 15, Natural Armor +10, Outsider Traits (Darkvision 60 ft., Soulless (immune to raise dead, reincarnate, e.g.) Plant Traits (Low-light vision; Immunity to all mind-affecting effects; Immune to sleep effects, poison, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning; Immune to critical hits).

Can choose to cast its spells as a move action.

Saves Fort +13 Ref +0 Will +12
Abilities Str 22, Dex 10, Con 22, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 16
Skills
Feats Improved Grapple, Snatch
Environment Temperate Forest
Organization Solitary, Grove (2-6)
Challenge Rating 12
Treasure X gold; X gems; X art; X magical items
Alignment Neutral
Languages Speaks Druidic, Terran
Advancement -
Favored Class - Druid
Level Adjustment -

Combat The tree is not naturally from this plane and it prefers to spend its time in a self-induced hibernation. Ancient druids communicated with it while hibernating and were able/allowed to tap into its extensive energies to create vast teleportation network between the tree and various saplings from that tree which they had planted.

It may choose to awaken from hibernation when prompted either by taking 10 or more damage from any single source or if a spell of 4th level or higher was cast within 120 of it. If awoken is automatically enraged and will attack any non-plant, non-construct, non-fey on sight. The tree likes to grab and throw things. As it cannot move it will focus on anything within its impressive reach first.
If attacked with fire it casts Ironwood on itself.

If there are no enemies in range it will cast black vines to try to herd enemies toward it. If there are seige weapons coming to bear or particularly talented archers targeting him he will counter with warp wood. If faced with flying opponents it will throw stones, earth, broken trees, or anything else it can reach in an attempt to knock them to the ground. It may even attempt to teleport particularly troublesome enemies into reach and then crush them.

If dropped below 20% of its max health it will cast Ironwood and Hibernation on itself.

Root – The tree summons its roots to burst through the earth’s surface and attempt to any target within a 10 ft square target area must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be immobilized. Strength DC 20 to break free. Can target burrowed enemies but not flying enemies.

Snatch - The creature can start a grapple when it hits with a claw or bite attack, as though it had the grab ability. If it grapples a creature three or more sizes smaller, it squeezes each round for automatic bite or claw damage with a successful grapple check. A snatched opponent held in the creature's mouth is not allowed a Reflex save against the creature's breath weapon, if it has one.
The creature can drop a creature it has snatched as a free action or use a standard action to fling it aside. A flung creature travels 1d6×10 feet, and takes 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet traveled.

Teleport Object – As an outsider who used to planehop it is now rooted into the mountain and can no longer teleport (unless it wants to seriously injure itself). It can still tap into that talent however. If it is being attacked by an enemy it cannot reach it may simply teleport a large or smaller target to a square within 10 feet of its base. DC 17 reflex save negates.

Hibernation – The tree enters a hibernation state. It can take no actions and make no saving throws. The tree gains a sanctuary effect: opponents must make a will save (DC 15) in order to make attack rolls against it. Health regen 5/fire. It now takes all damage except fire as non-lethal and regenerates 5 nonlethal per round.

Here is my second attempt (extra special thanks to: debihuman, nonsi, and rferries) :

I have looked at all the comments and suggestions provided and tried to revamp what I had. I am feeling a lot better about it as a more comlete and balanced build. Still not done with it though! Very open for more feedback and ideas and criticisms! I have at least a few weeks to go before the session where they meet this guy so I have plenty of time to make it right!

Some comments have mentioned some concerns in general about the setup and I will say that there are many hints that talking to the tree and allying with it is an option (among other options the party has discussed). I hope to provide an encounter where in order to survive or succeed that the party needs to be clever and make at least a temporary alliance (or manipulate multiple factions to duke it out first) as there will be multiple factions at play when the moment comes.

It's hard to compress months and months of the party's interactions and the backstory and clues I've littered throughout this campaign into quick concise sentences to give you guys the full picture. But this party always weighs their options and are tactically sound (usually!). The idea of talking to the tree once they realize its alive will definitely occur to them (between the clues Ive given them and therir own temperment).

Gargantuan Plant Outsider (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 17d8+102 (178 hp)
Speed: 0 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (+14 natural, -4 size), touch 6, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+27
Attack: Claw +14 melee (3d6+6) or Throw Rock +11 (2d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +14 melee (2d6+6)
Space/Reach: 25 ft./35 ft.
Special Attacks: Baleful teleportation, claw swipe, constrict 2d6+6, snatch, rock throwing, root, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Hardness 5, Hibernation, low-light vision, plant traits, outsider traits, rapid magic, spell resistance 15
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +0, Will +12
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 10, Con 22, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 16
Skills: Concentration +15, Diplomacy +5, Knowledge (nature, the planes) +15, Listen +12, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +19, Survival +6 (+8 aboveground or on other planes) Hide +10 (in forest)
Feats: Snatch, Improved Snatch, Multisnatch, Brutal Throw, Power Throw, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave
Environment: Temperate Forest
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Your party falls back in awe and terror as the mighty tree suddenly stirs to life, an eerie emerald radiance spilling from the creatures eyes and mouth as they open from what was featureless bark just moments before.

The creature is clearly angry and not of this world, yet you sense a certain pitiable loneliness about it...

Originally from another plane, Mournfallow was forced to flee by a great war with a fiery unnamed enemy. As a refugee in hiding it spends it’s time in a self-induced hibernation. Ancient druids communicated with it while hibernating and were able/allowed to tap into its extensive energies to create a vast teleportation network between the tree and various saplings from that tree which they had planted. In exchange for this knowledge and power they built a great temple fortress into a cliff beneath and around the tree so they could provide Mournfallow the sanctuary it had been searching for.
That was long ago, and now those who venture into the highest layer of the great ancient temple may find themselves in the presence of this great tree as it slumbers. Perhaps it would be best to let it alone…

Although Mournfallow is always furious at being awoken, it may be possible to negotiate with the creature. When first awoken a DC 15 Diplomacy check can be used to prevent it becoming enraged. Slaying the tree will instantly close all active portals drawing from it.

Mournfallow speaks Druidic, Terran, Elven, Sylvan, and Ignan. You take a +5 bonus to charisma based checks when speaking to Mournfallow in Druidic and a -5 bonus to charisma based checks while speaking in Ignan. The first time you speak to Mournfallow in Ignan you must make a Diplomacy check to prevent him from becoming enraged, DC 12.

Combat
When first awoken Mournfallow is automatically enraged and will attack any non-plant, non-construct, non-fey on sight. As it cannot move it will focus on anything within its impressive reach first then resort to throwing things. It will try to grab and smash things.

If attacked with fire it casts ironwood on itself.

If there are no enemies in melee range it will cast overlapping instances of entangle and stone spikes to try to herd enemies toward it. Then, especially if faced with flying opponents, it will throw stones, earth, broken trees, or anything else it can reach. It may even attempt to teleport particularly troublesome enemies into reach and then crush them.

If reduced below 35 hit points it will cast ironwood on itself and reenter hibernation.
Mournfallow's natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Baleful Teleportation (Su)
Once a planeshifting entity that travelled the cosmos freely, Mournfallow has now extended its roots too deeply into the mountain and can no longer plane shift without risking serious harm to itself. However, it can still tap into its old teleportation powers. As a move action Mournfallow may target any creature within 1000 and teleport them to within 10 feet of Mournfallow's space. Mournfallow may use this ability three times per day. A DC 19 Will save negates this effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Claw Swipe (Ex)
As a full-round action Mournfallow can lash out with its branch-like claws, dealing 1d6+6 points of slashing damage to all creatures in two 15-ft. lines. A DC 22 Reflex saving throw negates. Can only start grapple from Snatch feat on last enemy hit in the line.

Constrict (Ex)
Mournfallow deals 2d6+6 on a successful grapple check. This is in addition to the claw damage from the Snatch feat.

Hardness (Ex)
Mournfallow is as hard as wood, reducing damage by 5. Electrical and ranged weapon attacks (other than siege weapons and similar attacks) deal half damage to the creature; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to the creature; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness. Fire damage ignores this hardness.

While under the influence of an ironwood effect, Mournfallow's hardness improves to 10 and all fire damage dealt to it is halved before applying the hardness.

Hibernation (Su)
As a move action Mournfallow can enter into a regenerative trance. While hibernating the creature cannot take actions, is unaware of its environment, and automatically fails all saving throws. However, it also gains regeneration 5. This regeneration is overcome only by fire damage.
Mournfallow can be communicated with in this state using a speak with plants effect or something similar. He may also choose to awaken from hibernation when it sustains 10 or more damage from a single source or when a spell of 4th level or higher is cast within 120 ft. of it.

Improved Snatch (Ex)
If Mournfallow hits with a claw or bite attack, it automatically attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a grapple on a creature two or more size categories smaller than itself, it will squeeze each round for automatic claw damage. As a free action, it can drop a creature it has snatched, or it can use a standard action to fling it aside. A flung creature travels up to 50 feet (and takes 1d6 points of damage for each 10 feet travelled when it lands).

Multisnatch (Ex)
When grappling an opponent with only the part of your body that made the attack, you take only a —10 penalty on grapple checks to maintain the hold (instead of -20).

Rock Throwing (Ex)
The range increment is 180 feet for Mournfallow’s thrown rocks (or whatever detritus comes to hand) for 3d6 + 6 damage.

Root (Su)
As a move action, Mournfallow may summon roots from the earth to bind its foes. All earthbound enemies in a 10-ft. square within 60 ft. of the creature must make DC 19 Reflex saves or be held immobile by the roots until freed or until they break loose with a DC 19 Strength check. Mournfallow may use this ability five times per day. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Rapid Magic (Ex)
Being unable to move he has learned to use many of its abilities very quickly to compensate allowing Mournfallow may use each of its spell-like abilities as a move action.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)
7/day - warp wood (DC 15); 5/day - entangle (DC 14), spike stones (DC 17); 3/day - ironwood. Caster level 12th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Lesser Plane Shift (Sp)
After channeling for 1d4 rounds, Mournfallow may teleport to another plane as the spell Plane Shift. His roots are dug into the mountainside, and planehopping severs these deep roots, injuring the Great Tree for 10d8 damage. As a move action Mournfallow may reduce this damage by slowly preparing himself for the spell by carefully detaching or retracting these deep roots. He may reduce this damage by 1d8 for every round he prepares.

Below is my (Edited) third attempt (after more great input from rferries, nonsi, and debihuman - Thank you all so so much!).

Really liking the feel now. Introduced the Rooted/Uprooted mechanic. Loses some abilities while uprooted but can move (slowly) and can teleport without injuring itself if it takes the time. Dropped the Hit die a bit, only gave 20 move speed, dropped the damage to Uproot slightly, and added a Tremor effect (to keep it a relevant ability and not create stagnant encounter) but kept the channeling time to the planeshift ability to try to keep it a CR 12.

Overall tried to simplify it as it was getting pretty cluttered.

Could still use help double checking the DCs and things are calculated correctly.
Ladies and Gentleman!

After much back and forth and great input (especially from nferries, nonsi, and debihuman) may I present my (nearly) final draft. I am still open to suggestions, fixes, comments, etc. The party won't be meeting this guy for at least 3 or 4 sessions so I still have pleanty of time to tweak it.

Behold the Giant Tree Boss fight and/or Potential ally:

Gargantuan Plant (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 15d8+90 (157 hp)
Speed: 20ft.
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+29
Attack: Claw +14 melee (3d6+6) or Throw Rock +11 (2d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +14 melee (3d6+6)
Special Attacks: Baleful teleportation, constrict 2d6+6, rock throwing, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Hardness 5, Root/Uproot, Hibernation, low-light vision, plant traits, outsider traits, rapid magic, spell resistance 15
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +94, Will +10
Skills: Concentration +24, Diplomacy +8, Knowledge(nature) +22, Knowledge (the planes) +22,Sense Motive +23, Spellcraft +22, Use Magic Device +16, Hide -4 (+12 in forests)
Feats: Snatch, Improved Snatch, Multisnatch, Brutal Throw, Insightful Reflexes, Precise Swing
Bonus Feats: Rending Constriction, Great Cleave

Your party falls back in awe and terror as the mighty tree suddenly stirs to life, an eerie emerald radiance spilling from the creatures eyes and mouth as they open from what was featureless bark just moments before.

The creature is clearly angry and not of this world, yet you sense a certain pitiable loneliness about it...

Originally from another plane, Mournfallow was forced to flee by a great war with a fiery unnamed enemy. As a refugee in hiding it spends it’s time in a self-induced hibernation. Ancient druids communicated with it while hibernating and were able/allowed to tap into its extensive energies to create a vast teleportation network between the tree and various saplings from that tree which they had planted. In exchange for this knowledge and power they built a great temple fortress into a cliff beneath and around the tree so they could provide Mournfallow the sanctuary it had been searching for.

That was long ago, and now those who venture into the highest layer of the great ancient temple may find themselves in the presence of this great tree as it slumbers. Perhaps it would be best to let it alone…

Although Mournfallow is always furious at being awoken, it may be possible to negotiate with the creature. When first awoken a DC 15 Diplomacy check can be used to prevent it becoming enraged. Slaying the tree will instantly close all active portals drawing from it.

Mournfallow speaks Druidic, Terran, Elven, Sylvan, and Ignan. You take a +5 bonus to charisma based checks when speaking to Mournfallow in Druidic and a -5 bonus to charisma based checks while speaking in Ignan. The first time you speak to Mournfallow in Ignan you must make a Diplomacy check to prevent it from becoming enraged, DC 12.
Mournfallow counts as both a Plant and Outsider with respect to spells, magic items, etc.

Combat
When first awoken Mournfallow is automatically enraged and will attack any non-plant, non-construct, non-fey on sight. As it cannot move it will focus on anything within its impressive reach first then resort to throwing things and attempt to destroy any cover opponents may be trying to hide behind. If facing siege weapons or powerful archers it will counter with warp wood to destroy the weapons.

If attacked with fire it casts ironwood on itself. Mournfallow, while prone to hot temper and rashness, is not stupid. If it can see it is vastly outnumbered or outmatched, it will attempt to teleport or planeshift to safety.

If there are no enemies in melee range it will cast black vines to try to herd enemies toward it. Then, especially if faced with flying opponents, it will throw stones, earth, broken trees, or anything else it can reach. It may even attempt to teleport particularly troublesome enemies into reach and then crush them once they are close enough.

If reduced below 35 hit points it will cast ironwood on itself and reenter hibernation.

Mournfallow's natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Root/Uproot (Ex)
Mournfallow prefers to spend its time rooted deep into the earth and as a move action may send a wooden root system up to 60 ft. deep into the earth. While rooted it absorbs energy from the earth and gains extra abilities at the cost of mobility. As long as it is rooted and in sunlight (either naturally or from a spell) it gains fast healing 2. Effects obscuring all sunlight such as a darkness spell, dense fog, etc. inhibit this ability.

If it tries to move, teleport, or plane shift from a rooted position it must first sever these roots, dealing 3d8+6 damage to itself. As a move action it can prepare itself by taking the time to carefully uproot itself. For every consecutive round it does this it reduces the damage taken by 1d8+2.

As it Roots or Uproots, the ground within 60 ft. of it shakes. This minor tremor is not strong enough to damage structures. Spellcasters on the ground in the area must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose any spell she is casting. Anyone trying to use a skill that would provoke attacks of opportunity (such as Disable Device, Heal, Open Lock, etc.) must succeed on a DC 15 Concentration check, or the action fails. Each creature on the ground in the area must make a Reflex save each round or be knocked prone, DC 18.

Mournfallow can only root into terrain able to accomodate roots such as dirt, sand, loose rocks, or mud. It is unable to root itself into solid rock, magma, open water, etc.

As a move action Mournfallow may target any Large or smaller creature or object within 1000 ft. and teleport them to within 10 feet of Mournfallow's space. Mournfallow may use this ability three times per day. A DC 19 Will save negates this effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Hardness (Ex)
Mournfallow is as hard as wood, reducing damage by 5. Electrical and ranged weapon attacks (other than siege weapons and similar attacks) deal half damage to the creature; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to the creature; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness. Fire damage ignores this hardness.

While under the influence of an ironwood effect, Mournfallow's hardness improves to 10 and all fire damage dealt to it is halved before applying the hardness.

Rock Throwing (Ex)
The range increment is 180 feet for Mournfallow’s thrown rocks (or whatever detritus comes to hand) for 3d6 + 6 damage. This ability cannot be used in environment where no throwable object can be found (desert, middle of ocean, etc.)

Hibernation (Su) – Automatically activates Rooted state
As a move action Mournfallow can enter into a regenerative trance. As it enters this state it extends its roots deep into the earth (if not already rooted) and is now considered rooted. If Mournfallow enters hibernation in contact to a root system it previously uprooted from it may choose to rejoin that root system. While hibernating the creature cannot take actions, is unaware of its environment, and automatically fails all saving throws. However, it gains regeneration to 10. This regeneration is only overcome by fire damage.

It can be communicated with in this state using speak with plants or a similar effect. If communicated with in this manner it may choose to awaken. It may also choose to awaken from hibernation when it sustains 10 or more damage from a single source or when a spell of 4th level or higher is cast within 120 ft. of it.

Rapid Magic (Ex) – Must be Rooted
Being primarily immobile has forced Mournfallow to adapt to be able to use some of it's of its abilities very quickly. While tapping into the energies it draws from the earth it can cast each of its spell-like abilities as a move action while Rooted.

7/day - warp wood (DC 15); 5/day – black vines (as spell black tentacles); 3/day - ironwood. Caster level 12th. The save DC is Charisma-based; At will - speak with plants.

Teleport (Sp)
Twice per day Mournfallow may teleport as the teleport spell. Caster level 12th. Up to 1200 miles and may bring along objects up to its maximum load and bring up to 4 medium creatures (or equivalent). Must be uprooted at the time the teleport happens or be subject uproot damage of 3d8+6.

Lesser Plane Shift (Sp)
After channeling for 1d4 rounds, Mournfallow may teleport to another plane as the spell Plane Shift. Must be uprooted by the time the shift happens or be subject to uproot damage. Mournfallow is able to use this ability once per day.

nonsi
2020-01-07, 10:42 PM
Seems like this guy is missing 3 feats, which could mean a lot.
According to the image, it's huge, not gargantuan.
HP calculation seems off. 12d8 w/ Con+6 = (96 + 12) / 2 + (12 * 6) = 54 + 72 = 126.

You need to offset its inability to move.
Instead of casting Entangle and Stone Spikes, make both of them additional effects to be applied with each combat round. One of each on the creature's turn.
Since its ancient, you could give it some Druid levels. Instead of Wild Shape (if you decide to give it 5 levels or more), choose a useful alternate class feature.

Even though 3e usually doesn't deal with facing, since its rooted to the spot, the party would probably go to its rear to gain an advantage. Consider giving it the ability to change its facing (unless you stick it into a corner where it can't be flanked or reared).

BasilicaNero
2020-01-08, 11:37 AM
Seems like this guy is missing 3 feats, which could mean a lot.
According to the image, it's huge, not gargantuan.
HP calculation seems off. 12d8 w/ Con+6 = (96 + 12) / 2 + (12 * 6) = 54 + 72 = 126.

You need to offset its inability to move.
Instead of casting Entangle and Stone Spikes, make both of them additional effects to be applied with each combat round. One of each on the creature's turn.
Since its ancient, you could give it some Druid levels. Instead of Wild Shape (if you decide to give it 5 levels or more), choose a useful alternate class feature.

Even though 3e usually doesn't deal with facing, since its rooted to the spot, the party would probably go to its rear to gain an advantage. Consider giving it the ability to change its facing (unless you stick it into a corner where it can't be flanked or reared).

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Size: I have struggled with the size but in the other direction. I have been balancing how big the physical model is and trying to tone down the stats so as not to be absurd. The actual model's base is a tad over 5 in. x 5 in. and it stands 9 in. tall. Which puts it very nearly into Colossal range but that seemed crazy so I backed off for the stats to just Gargantuan.

Also, its arms are actually 7.5 inches from shoulder to first knuckle (so to hit with a closed fist) but giving it a 35 ft reach seemed absurd, so I backed it to 25 ft. Or would the fact it can't move compensate for a 30 or 35 ft reach?

As it is indeed Gargantuan did I still do the HP wrong? (Which I totally believe; kinda' been flying half blind).

Feats: I am definitely open to suggestions. Improved Grab and Snatch seemed to be easy choices but nothing else jumped out at me on a quick perusal of some lists of feats.

I like the idea of making the Entangle an additional effect as well, very dirty!

Facing is interesting, I hadn't considered that. I could give it an ability to rotate but it uses its move action because its not easy for it.

Debihuman
2020-01-08, 05:43 PM
Hi. Congrats on making your first monster. You could use a little help here.

My first question is what level is this monster for? Challenge ratings matter because it is easy to either underpower or overpower a monster.

Hit Dice should be more than 12. Even a standard huge treant has 17 HD and you want this to be a boss.

Hit Dice: 17d8+102 (178 hp).

if you really want to keep the 12 HD, then it would look like this

12d8 is 54 hit points. It is an average* of hit points so you multiply 12x4.5. then you add the bonus hp for Con 12 x 6 = 72. 54 +72 = 126
Hit Dice: 12d8+72 (126 hp)

*Average is one half +.5.

Speed: 0 ft. (immobile) [It still takes up squares)

Claw is a standard attack. I recommend it not have a slam which is a single attack but rather two claws that can attack separately. Creatures do not make iterative attacks with natural weapons.

Attack: Claw +14 melee (3d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 Claws + 14 melee (3d6+6)

Creatures gain feats the same way as PCs do but based on HD. They get one feat at 1 HD, a second at 3 HD and one feat every 3 HD after.
It should have 5 feats and you could even give it a bonus feat or two. I recommend no more than 2 bonus feats.

I don't understand your creature's special attacks. I you want to give it a ranged attack, give it a breath weapon. It already has reach with its claws and it should be able to use something other than its claws to make a ranged attack. What is the range of it throwing things and what exactly is it throwing since it is rooted to one spot?

Outsiders have their native plane of existence as their Environment. What is this creature's home plane? Note that Outsiders can be banished and dismissed while Native Outsiders cannot. Just because a creature spends most of its time on the Prime Material Plane doesn't mean it is Native.

You need to think of the Ecology of this creature. Why is there. Is its only purpose to attack anyone who wanders by? That's kinda lame for a boss. What do the PCs accomplish by defeating this creature. It has literally no stuff for them to take as of yet. And how is this creature acquiring stuff if it can't move. Is there at least stuff from other adventurers that it defeated?

Debby

BasilicaNero
2020-01-09, 11:15 AM
Hi Debby!

Thank you for replying! I definitely can use the help :)

The party when they get to this guy will be 2 level 8 PCs and 2 level 9 PCs and two followers (thank you druid for constantly making me have to plan for have a Large Dire Wolf following us around! :) ).

So this is above them in a straight fight. However, there are other factors at play for the encounter. They have a magic artifact which can summon up to three trolls to fight for their aid (they actually talked about it last session so they do remember they have it). There are a bunch of Bandits in this encounter which the party will be able to try to convince the tree to fight with them against, OR the party could try to team up with the Bandits against the tree if they want. They also have a aforementioned druid in the party which is important to the trees backstory and ups their chances when talking to the tree (Yay, secret druidic language!). Or they could try to wake the tree up and get it to attack the Bandits and let them fight until the tree is hurt enough for them to kill it. OR if they manage to hurt it enough the tree can choose to try to hibernate again to try to heal itself and they can then speak to it with "Speak to plants" which our druid does have. There are multiple ways built in to the encounter not have to fight this thing solo to the death unless they absolutely choose too.

My internal backstory for the creature:

From an ancient race of teleporting/plane-hopping plant creatures. It brought itself to our material plane long ago to escape the destruction of its race (not necessarily the last of its kind but home plane conquered or enslaved, [possible higher level campaign hook?]) (I never chose a specific origin plane, I'm imagining a Pandora style living world of some sort) and was then found by a group of druids on our plane centuries ago. In exchange for teaching the druids how to build portals using the Trees magic the Tree would be hidden and protected by the order of druids.

They built a temple complex into an isolated cliff face in a deep forest. The tree took root at the top of the fortress and went into a deep hibernation, it roots digging deep throughout the temple fortress. The druids were allowed to install crystals into its root system which channeled its teleport abilities and created a series of portals to far flung areas of the world (needless to say its been a wild dungeon crawl :) ). All while the tree hibernates the druids may speak to it for knowledge or advice with the portals , etc. As the centuries passed the order of druids dwindled then died out and the temple complex was inherited by fae and other forest creatures (trolls and wood woads). It fell into relative disrepair with only a few of the portals remaining active. The tree still hibernates.

Fast forward to a year or two ago: A strong band of bandits (practically a small army) arrives. Their leader has found references to an ancient fortress deep in the woods with a magic doorways and is convinced its not a legend. They find the fortress, drive out the Trolls and Fae and set up shop. This Bandit leader, a scholar and student of magic himself, devices a way to siphon off some of the hibernating trees power to create Magical glyphs onto his men's armor. His small army of bandits and thieves now all have armor which, when activated, will teleport them back to the tree from anywhere on the material plane. They now never need an exit strategy for any job they pull and they execute a swath of daring thefts and robberies all across the land.

Fast Forward to now: This was part of the original hook for our current adventure: track down these teleporting bandits, recover what stolen property you can, and deal with the source of their sudden teleportation abilities. Its been a winding path since then with lots of side quests to gets the pieces together to track the teleports but theyre near the end of the road now! The party have also met and made a deal with a Verdant Prince (powerful fae they met in the forest while hunting for the fortress) to clear the bandits from the fortress and return it to the control of the fae.

You have a lot of other questions so Ill try to reply to them all.

Feats: I need more feats. Check. Any suggestions? I'm definitely open! :)

Breath weapon: I had not thought of that. Dumb question: can a plant which doesn't breathe have a breathe weapon? Never mind, it's DnD, of course it can! What sort of breath weapon would be approriate here? Poison maybe?

Banishment: As for banishing it from the plane, it is possible: it is not native. It is also still able to teleport itself technically it would just sever its root system and I imagine it would take a hell of a lot of damage (maybe half full HP). The same would happen if it was banished. If it had taken enough damage before being banished it would probably die outright.

Attacks: Thanks for the help on attacks, I found it kinda confusing with having a natural weapon with its claws and stuff. As far as what is it throwing, in this particular setup there is a crumbling stone wall on three sides of the Tree so plenty of stones to throw. Otherwise it could throw anything it can grab, even earth and roots, so unless it was fighting somewhere specific (i.e. a desert) I would say it can find something to throw if it really wants to.

I also wanted to give it a sort of swipe attack so I thought I'd give it the option to attack three squares it threatens in a line. I like the idea especially for flavor but not sure in practice.

Ecology: As for its ecology I think its backstory will have explained some of it. The party will actually accomplish MORE if they choose not to kill it in the end, and somehow become an ally of it. I am open to the possibility (if they play it out right) to become allies (of a sort) with the Tree and the Verdant Prince wishing to take up residence of the fortress. Thus they would gain access to the to portals to have more widespread adventures and have a sort of mini base of operations. I have planted the seeds throughout the crawl already that they may be able create new portals in the network, a prospect which the party is excited about.

Loot: I know I haven't put any stuff on the creature yet, I was more worried with its actual Stats to start with. I do know there are various gems in its bark being used to channel its magic to create the portals, etc. I also am considering having it have a druid artifact, given to it for safe keeping perhaps by the old order (our druid would find that useful, for sure). Also the primary source of loot and stuff this particular dungeon crawl has been the bandits, their treasury, and various other looting opportunities one or two of the portals have presented. They just looted the bandits treasury last session and found some hidden rooms with some cool stuff, so the crawl has not been without its rewards.

aimlessPolymath
2020-01-09, 04:08 PM
Breath weapon: I had not thought of that. Dumb question: can a plant which doesn't breathe have a breathe weapon? Never mind, it's DnD, of course it can! What sort of breath weapon would be approriate here? Poison maybe?
Since it's a tree, I'd suggest cribbing from Pokemon and unleashing a blast of razor-sharp leaves, dealing slashing damage.

nonsi
2020-01-10, 08:12 AM
Since Mr. boss tree comes from a race that typically has mobility and is now rooted . . .
What if it had a special ability to detach from its roots (something that it probably didn't have the motivation to do so far) and later reattach? Maybe by taking a certain amount of damage.

nonsi
2020-01-10, 08:13 AM
Suggested feats: Multigrab (Serpent Kingdoms, p. 146), Greater Multigrab (Serpent Kingdoms, p. 146)
(google for the descriptions)

nonsi
2020-01-10, 08:15 AM
can a plant which doesn't breathe have a breathe weapon

Thorn spray.
Those could be normal, acidic, poisonous and whatnot.
. . . which brings me to another feat suggestion: Brutal Throw (CAdv, p.106)

Banishment: As for banishing it from the plane, it is possible: it is not native. It is also still able to teleport itself technically it would just sever its root system and I imagine it would take a hell of a lot of damage (maybe half full HP). The same would happen if it was banished. If it had taken enough damage before being banished it would probably die outright.

Maybe it could un-root with decreased damage by spending a few minutes to do so.

As far as RP goes, you should spread some breadcrumbs to hint to them that avoiding combat with the tree is definitely a possibility (including an enemy that could become an ally).
Giving XP for sometimes avoiding combat is a good incentive.

rferries
2020-01-10, 11:48 AM
That is a FANTASTIC model!

Here's my stab at a stat block. Some comments:

1)I've set the type to Plant as it seems you were basing your main statistics on it.

2) I tried to standardise the natural weapon damage, spell resistance etc. along the lines of Pathfinder but of course you're free to readjust them.

3) Gave it a kraken's reach.

4) Ditched Improved Grapple feat as it already has improved grab & constriction. Snatch isn't too useful but it does let it throw creatures around haha.

5) If it's not meant to be noticeable by the PCs at first, you can give it a racial bonus to Hide checks to appear like a tree while hibernating.

6) I advise streamlining it further. The claw swipe ability seems a bit redundant (I like your poison breath weapon spin on Debbie's suggestion). Note how many custom abilities it has haha!

MOURNFALLOW, THE GREAT TREELARGE PLANT ([Extraplanar])
Hit Dice: 12d8+72 (128 hp)
Speed: 0 ft.
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+27
Attack: Slam +11 melee (2d6+6) or rock +5 ranged (4d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 slams +11 melee (2d6+6)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft. (60 ft. with claws)
Special Attacks: Baleful teleportation, claw swipe, constrict 2d6+6, improved grab, rock throwing, root, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, hardness 5, hibernation, low-light vision, plant traits, outsider traits, rapid magic, spell resistance 17
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +6, Will +11
Skills: Concentration +21, Diplomacy +5, Knowledge (nature, the planes) +19, Listen +20, Sense Motive +20, Spellcraft +19, Survival +6 (+8 aboveground or on other planes)
Feats: Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Snatch
Environment: Summit of The Bandit Fortress
Challenge Rating: 8

Mournfallow is not naturally from this plane and it prefers to spend its time in a self-induced hibernation. Ancient druids communicated with it while hibernating and were able/allowed to tap into its extensive energies to create a vast teleportation network between the tree and various saplings from that tree which they had planted.

Although Mournfallow is always furious at being disturbed, it may be possible to negotiate with the creature. Slaying the tree will most likely have ominous effects on the druid's teleportation network.

Mournfallow speaks Druidic, Dwarven, Elven, Sylvan, and Terran.

Combat
If awoken Mourntree is automatically enraged and will attack any non-plant, non-construct, non-fey on sight. The tree likes to grab and smash things. As it cannot move it will focus on anything within its impressive reach first.

If attacked with fire it casts ironwood on itself.

If there are no enemies in range it will cast overlapping instances of entangle and stone spikes to try to herd enemies toward it. If faced with flying opponents it will throw stones, earth, broken trees, or anything else it can reach in an attempt to knock them to the ground. It may even attempt to teleport particularly troublesome enemies into reach and then crush them.

If reduced below 25 hit points it will cast ironwood on itself and enter hibernation once again.

Once a planeshifting entity that travelled the cosmos freely, Mournfallow is now rooted into the mountain and can no longer teleport without risking serious harm to itself. However, it can still tap into its old teleportation powers. As a move action Mournfallow may target any creature within 1000 and teleport them to within 10 feet of Mournfallow's space. Mournfallow may use this ability three times per day. A DC 19 Reflex save negates this effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Claw Swipe (Ex)
As a full-round action Mournfallow can lash out with its branch-like claws, dealing 1d6+6 points of piercing damage to all creatures in two 15-ft. lines. A successful DC 22 saving throw negates this damage. The saving throw is Strength-based.

Constrict (Ex)
Mournfallow deals double slam damage on a successful grapple check.

Hardness (Ex)
Mournfallow is as hard as wood. Electrical and ranged weapon attacks (other than siege weapons and similar attacks) deal half damage to the creature; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to the creature; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness. Fire damage ignores this hardness.

Hibernation (Su)
As a move action Mournfallow can enter into a regenerative trance. While hibernating the creature cannot take actions, is unaware of its environment, and automatically fails all saving throws. However, it also gains regeneration 5. This regeneration is overcome only by fire damage.

Mournfallow may choose to awaken from hibernation when it sustains 10 or more damage from a single source or when a spell of 4th level or higher is cast within 120 ft. of it.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, Mournfallow must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Outsider Traits (Ex)
Although it is a plant, Mournfallow possesses several outsider qualities. Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish).

Rapid Magic (Ex)
Mournfallow may use each of its spell-like abilities as a move action.

Rock Throwing (Ex)
The range increment is 180 feet for Mournfallow’s thrown rocks.

Root (Su)
As a move action, Mournfallow may summon roots from the earth to bind its foes. All earthbound enemies in a 10-ft. square within 30 ft. of the creature must make DC 19 Reflex saves or be held immobile by the roots until freed or until they break loose with a DC 19 Strength check. Mournfallow may use this ability five times per day. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

7/day - warp wood (DC 15); 5/day - entangle (DC 14), spike stones (DC 17); 3/day - ironwood. Caster level 12th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Debihuman
2020-01-10, 03:58 PM
Hi Debby!

Thank you for replying! I definitely can use the help :)

Always my pleasure.

The party when they get to this guy will be 2 level 8 PCs and 2 level 9 PCs and two followers (thank you druid for constantly making me have to plan for have a Large Dire Wolf following us around! :) ).

Not much a dire wolf is going to do to a tree except perhaps pee on it and bark a lot.

They have a magic artifact which can summon up to three trolls to fight for their aid

3 trolls are cr 5 each. This party would be quite fine to attack a CR 12 or even a bit higher. Naughty DM giving artifacts like that to PCs.

There are a bunch of Bandits in this encounter....

Unless the bandits are actually friendly with the PCs, why aren't they teamed up with the tree?

My internal backstory for the creature....

So are the bandits you want to team up with the PCs the same bandits that are part of the army that is in the fortress or are these other bandits? You haven't made that clear. Personally, it doesn't make sense to have an army of bandit hiding in a temple fortress under the tree ready to ambush the PCs. Because that's sort of the set up you have. Tree and army of teleporting bandits in the fortress and the PCs and trolls have to defeat all that? I'm looking at TPK if you aren't careful.

First, if the tree is hibernating, they can sneak passed it. Second why is it hibernating? Outsiders don't need to sleep. However, if it is using this time to heal, then hibernating makes sense. Does it even have full hit points yet?

Outsiders (and plants) do need to breathe but they don't need to eat or sleep so why is it hibernating? Yes they can choose to eat and sleep but I'm not getting a good motivation here. So yes, you can give it a breath weapon if you want.

How is the root system not part of the tree when it teleports? That doesn't make sense to me. The roots should just sink into the ground wherever it lands. Banishment doesn't cause damage usually. And since the tree can teleport, you need to define how far it can teleport. Is it just as the spell or more impressive. What level does this cast as? Same as HD?

So the tree is right near the fortress and can use stones from a crumbling wall to throw. That makes sense now.

Use the same Throw Stones as the giants have only gear it to the tree.

I also wanted to give it a sort of swipe attack so I thought I'd give it the option to attack three squares it threatens in a line. I like the idea especially for flavor but not sure in practice.

Swipe would be a decent special ability but you need to figure out how it works. Probably no more than 3 creatures who are no more than 10 feet apart.

As for Feats: Snatch is a good feat. You should look at the online SRD as it is very helpful. https://www.d20srd.org
Other feats: Power Attack and Cleave.

Snatch [General]
Prerequisite
Size Huge or larger.

Benefits
The creature can choose to start a grapple when it hits with a claw or bite attack, as though it had the improved grab special attack. If the creature gets a hold on a creature three or more sizes smaller, it squeezes each round for automatic bite or claw damage. A snatched opponent held in the creature’s mouth is not allowed a Reflex save against the creature’s breath weapon, if it has one.

The creature can drop a creature it has snatched as a free action or use a standard action to fling it aside. A flung creature travels 1d6 × 10 feet, and takes 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet traveled. If the creature flings a snatched opponent while flying, the opponent takes this amount or falling damage, whichever is greater.

When I say Ecology i mean just the ecology of the creature.

i would like to see an edited version before giving more advice.

Debby

BasilicaNero
2020-01-10, 04:20 PM
Thanks so much for the great feedback!

(If you're interested in the model here's an Imgur post I made showing some of how I made it: https:// imgur. com/gallery/rmvrGIt )

This is a great iteration: lots to like!

I especially like using Hardness instead of Damage Reduction. Really gives the feel that youre trying to damage a tree.

A couple things I'm not sure about though, chief among them is the reach... 80 ft ???? Wow! I can see why a kracken would have that but not sure about the tree. If we're sticking to the model as a guide from shoulder to first knuckle its 7.5 inches so at best 35 ft reach. if we assume he's always slashing or grabbing with fingers then shoulder to fingertips is about 9 inches so at best 45 ft reach.

I'm interested in hearing the justification for giving it a 80 ft reach.

Debihuman
2020-01-10, 08:11 PM
Thanks so much for the great feedback!

(If you're interested in the model here's an Imgur post I made showing some of how I made it: https:// imgur. com/gallery/rmvrGIt )

This is a great iteration: lots to like!

I especially like using Hardness instead of Damage Reduction. Really gives the feel that youre trying to damage a tree.

A couple things I'm not sure about though, chief among them is the reach... 80 ft ???? Wow! I can see why a kracken would have that but not sure about the tree. If we're sticking to the model as a guide from shoulder to first knuckle its 7.5 inches so at best 35 ft reach. if we assume he's always slashing or grabbing with fingers then shoulder to fingertips is about 9 inches so at best 45 ft reach.

I'm interested in hearing the justification for giving it a 80 ft reach.

Reach is a product of size usually though you can make it custom.

A Gargantuan creature takes up 4 squares and a tall one has a reach of 20 feet.You could give it extra reach with its claws for example.

Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft. (35 ft. with claws)

Debby

BasilicaNero
2020-01-10, 10:39 PM
I've had so many great suggestions I will take another crack at updating it.

Sorry, I'm new to the site so I'm not sure of the etiquette:

Once I make an updated attempt at the stat block for this thing should I post it in the thread or make a new post?

Debihuman
2020-01-10, 11:11 PM
I don't recommend starting a new thread or we'll have tons every time you edit something.

You could just edit your original post. That's what I have normally done. You can put a line at the top that says work in progress until you are finished.

Debby

nonsi
2020-01-11, 01:45 AM
I've had so many great suggestions I will take another crack at updating it.

Sorry, I'm new to the site so I'm not sure of the etiquette:

Once I make an updated attempt at the stat block for this thing should I post it in the thread or make a new post?

Same post.
If you wish, you could preserve the original stats in a spoiler block.
like this:

Spoiler Content

To create a spoiler block, use the following format:

Spoiler Content

BasilicaNero
2020-01-13, 04:53 PM
Only took me a couple of days but I finally updated it... a work in progress but feeling better about it!

Thanks again to everyone who has commented so far: I really really appreciate the help!

nonsi
2020-01-14, 01:08 PM
Only took me a couple of days but I finally updated it... a work in progress but feeling better about it!

Thanks again to everyone who has commented so far: I really really appreciate the help!

Plant type has 3/4 BAB

Now, since the stats say Hit Dice: 17d8+102 (178 hp)

This means that the creature's BAB should be 3/4 of 17 = 12.
Since the creature is Gargantuan, apply -4 penalty when calculating attack rolls.

Grapple modifier is also off. 12 (HD) + 6 (Str) + 12 (size-mod) = +30

Full Attack damage is lower than attack damage. Try to be consistent.

One thing's not clear. Why limit un-rooting damage reduction by preparation to plane-shifting only?

Very nice selection of feats. If you wish to squeeze a bit mote out of this guy, you could give it 18 HD and introduce a homebrew feat: Greater Multisnatch (eliminates the penalties altogether). This could give it a significant melee power-up.

Challenge Rating seems a bit low. Seems more like 14 to me. Applying my suggestion above could up it to 15 (16 if un-rooted ahead of time.
This reminds me that you should state a movement rate when un-rooted.

BasilicaNero
2020-01-14, 01:28 PM
Plant type has 3/4 BAB

Now, since the stats say Hit Dice: 17d8+102 (178 hp)

This means that the creature's BAB should be 3/4 of 17 = 12.
Since the creature is Gargantuan, apply -4 penalty when calculating attack rolls.

Grapple modifier is also off. 12 (HD) + 6 (Str) + 12 (size-mod) = +30

Full Attack damage is lower than attack damage. Try to be consistent.

One thing's not clear. Why limit un-rooting damage reduction by preparation to plane-shifting only?

Very nice selection of feats. If you wish to squeeze a bit mote out of this guy, you could give it 18 HD and introduce a homebrew feat: Greater Multisnatch (eliminates the penalties altogether). This could give it a significant melee power-up.

Challenge Rating seems a bit low. Seems more like 14 to me. Applying my suggestion above could up it to 15 (16 if un-rooted ahead of time.
This reminds me that you should state a movement rate when un-rooted.

I had forgotten that upping the hit die to mimic a treant would also change the BAB, good call.

As for the un-rooting, it sort of was a flavor thing, kind of made sense to me that given enough time the tree could do it without injuring itself but it took a lot of effort. As for "Why limit un-rooting damage reduction by preparation to plane-shifting only?" I guess I don't quite understand the question, Im sorry.

I am sort of trying to keep the Challenge rating around 12 (give or take). This is part of the reason why I've kept it immobile except for the nerfed planeshift ability and not done some other things that were suggested. Maybe I need to drop the Hit die back down to where it was?

EDIT: I really should read more carefully :) my bad.

I think I see what your saying, I hadnt thought of giving it a move speed if/when it had un rooted. I am really afraid of making the guy crazy over poweered and I want it to make sense that he doesnt move. Perhaps the resason he usually stays rooted is two fold: One: he only his move speed is only ten or twenty feet, so its quite slow and usually not worth it. Two: his hibernation ability is what roots him and activating it digs him in again. So since he's slow anyways and he can't use his Hiberrnation ability otherwise, he prefers to stay rooted unless there are drastic measues needed.

nonsi
2020-01-14, 02:51 PM
I am really afraid of making the guy crazy over poweered and I want it to make sense that he doesnt move. Perhaps the resason he usually stays rooted is two fold: One: he only his move speed is only ten or twenty feet, so its quite slow and usually not worth it. Two: his hibernation ability is what roots him and activating it digs him in again. So since he's slow anyways and he can't use his Hiberrnation ability otherwise, he prefers to stay rooted unless there are drastic measues needed.

Take into consideration that being immobile is a huge disadvantage.
You can't pursue.
You can't escape.
You can't sneak.
You can't immerse to put out fire (At least give it Quench as a SLA).
Your enemy could fall back and regroup with fortified forces. This alone merits a -2 CR reduction.

BasilicaNero
2020-01-15, 03:16 PM
Take into consideration that being immobile is a huge disadvantage.
You can't pursue.
You can't escape.
You can't sneak.
You can't immerse to put out fire (At least give it Quench as a SLA).
Your enemy could fall back and regroup with fortified forces. This alone merits a -2 CR reduction.

I see your point. I have made some changes with that in mind. But part of the reason I want to preserve the struggle for mobility (he moves so slowly for example and it takes a long time to go from immobile to mobile) is flavor and keeping the CR to reasonable levels. For fire I had always imagined the self casting of ironwood would be his solution. I also threw in the Teleport because it didnt make sense he couldn't and technically gives a little more utility.

Debihuman
2020-01-15, 05:50 PM
It has too many feats unless two of them are bonus feats. You should note which feats are the bonus feats. Note: creatures do not have to meet the requisites for bonus feats.

You need to explain what damage Mournfallow takes in the baleful teleportation special ability. I’d say he takes 1d6+6 points of damage, no save when he uses that ability, but YMMV. If you decide that he doesn’t take damage, just edit the ability accordingly.

Speed: 0 ft. (Immobile)

Not 0 squares.

I think uproot is too severe. He should take more like 2d8+6
Also reach is too long with claws. It should be at max 40 feet (double normal reach)

Debby

BasilicaNero
2020-01-16, 02:54 PM
It has too many feats unless two of them are bonus feats. You should note which feats are the bonus feats. Note: creatures do not have to meet the requisites for bonus feats.

You need to explain what damage Mournfallow takes in the baleful teleportation special ability. I’d say he takes 1d6+6 points of damage, no save when he uses that ability, but YMMV. If you decide that he doesn’t take damage, just edit the ability accordingly.

Speed: 0 ft. (Immobile)

Not 0 squares.

I think uproot is too severe. He should take more like 2d8+6
Also reach is too long with claws. It should be at max 40 feet (double normal reach)

Debby

Hello again, Debby!

Fixed the Feats and added Bonus Feats!

Simplified Baleful Teleportation (where he takes no damage) and Teleport (where he does if Rooted).

Speed set to: 0 ft. (Immobile) / 20 ft. (Uprooted)

I pretty much halved the damage from Uproot to 5d8+6. I still want it to be very painful, and something he needs to really want to do.

Reach set at 35 ft.

Tvtyrant
2020-01-16, 04:38 PM
One of the classic tree monsters in d&d is the Orcwort, a tree whose fruit are Orcs. Here you can do something similar; the roots pour a corruption into the soil that turns plants into evil animated objects. This slowly spreads from the tree, so the party has to kill it or face an ecological disaster. If they retreat to regroup nearby plants come alive and attack their campsite whenever they rest, forcing a confrontation or a retreat out of range.

nonsi
2020-01-16, 11:35 PM
One of the classic tree monsters in d&d is the Orcwort, a tree whose fruit are Orcs. Here you can do something similar; the roots pour a corruption into the soil that turns plants into evil animated objects. This slowly spreads from the tree, so the party has to kill it or face an ecological disaster. If they retreat to regroup nearby plants come alive and attack their campsite whenever they rest, forcing a confrontation or a retreat out of range.

It doesn't seem like that's the theme that the OP is going for.
Furthermore, it will kill the option of collaboration that the OP was talking about, as well as any purpose it might serve in the future.
It has a lot of story line potential and I think it would be a shame to waste that potential.

rferries
2020-01-17, 04:44 AM
Looking good! Just a few things:

1) May I ask what classes your PCs are (e.g. if they have access to fire damage or not will make a big difference combat-wise, as will their ability to Bluff/Diplomacy their way out of combat).

2) Some of the stats will need to be recalculated e.g. save DCs, skill points, spell resistance. Similarly, the writeup can be trimmed (e.g. no need for Multisnatch description if it has the feat). I don't mind doing this for you if you like.

3) I worry that the creature is a bit "busy" - a lot of redundant abilities and flavour that the PCs will never see it use or know about without reading the writeup themselves. Maybe subsume the entangle, spike stones, Claw Swipe, Root Tangle, and Constrict effects into a simple black tentacles SLA (that conjures vines rather than tentacles)? I'm very guilty of placing flavour over stats myself but things like the Lesser Planeshift could be replaced with a 1/day plane shift SLA too.

4) In line with 3), try to plan out how combat with the creature will go and anticipate how the fight might be too easy or unsatisfying. Presumably:

Phase 1: Rooted, the PCs will either reason with the creature or enter battle.

Phase 2: Uprooted? I advise making this easier for Mournfallow or maybe causing an earthquake effect while it uproots itself, otherwise being effectively paralysed for 5 rounds means the PCs will defeat it too easily.

Phase 3: Rooted again to heal after being beaten into submission - but if the PCs don't have fire damage or communication magic they won't be able to resolve the fight in a satisfying way.

BasilicaNero
2020-01-17, 02:31 PM
It doesn't seem like that's the theme that the OP is going for.
Furthermore, it will kill the option of collaboration that the OP was talking about, as well as any purpose it might serve in the future.
It has a lot of story line potential and I think it would be a shame to waste that potential.

Exactly! I love the idea of this guy becoming a recurring character, partly because I think the model is friggin sweet, and partly I think it would be very interesting. We haven't had a recurring NPC character like it yet in our campaign and the teleport and planeshift abilities could open a lot of possibilties.

1) The PCs are a Half-Elf Rogue, Elf Druid, Goliath Warblade, and an Anthromorphic Ape Guardian (Homebrew class specializing in protecting it's allies). The Rogue (and Druid to a lesser extent) have high charisma and Diplomacy. The Druid does have some fire spells capability and "speak with plants" (he uses it to get intel sometimes, its fun). The Warblade has an Adamantine Great Sword, the druid has an Iuak (ignores 3 hardness), and the Rogue's main sword deals extra damage to outsiders.

They have useful tools for this fight/encounter. They are a party who likes to look for clever ways around conflict but aren't afraid to throw down after a few crap Diplomacy rolls makes that impossible.

2) I could definitely use help recalculating the DCs and all of that. I struggled making it the first time before I started tweaking things! As Far as trimming the write up that makes sense; as its my first one though I'm not sure which ones aren't needed technically... Ill remove the ones which are just write ups of feats.

3) I really like the idea of the black vines, I swapped it in for entangle, root tangle, and stone spikes. Also, looking it over, the Claw Swipe is redundant while it has Great Cleave as a bonus feat so I removed it.

4) I added a Tremor effect while Uprooting and slightly lessened the damage. As far as the encounter having a satisfying ending, between the Druids ability to communicate with it while hibernating, and the party's potential to get past Damage Reduction and hardness if needed they will be able to make it work.

Debihuman
2020-01-19, 09:08 AM
Hmm. I really like the third update. Since you added more hit dice, it should have 6 regular feats and up to two bonus feats. Also, type should probably be Plant (Extraplanar). Creatures cannot have more than one Type. However, you can keep the outsider traits if you wish. To that effect, you might want to note that Mournfallow counts as both a Plant and Outsider with respect to spells, magic items, etc.

His normal feats should probably be: power attack, cleave, great cleave, snatch, improved snatch, multisnatch. Then you can decide on bonus feats.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Debby

rferries
2020-01-19, 11:06 AM
Righto then, sounds like your PCs will definitely be able to handle it. I've trimmed it a bit more.

I suggest pumping the Strength, for a Gargantuan creature he's quite weak.

For simplicity I've ditched the Rapid Magic ability and replaced it with the feat Quicken Spell-Like Ability (black vines), and made the benefit of being Rooted simply a constant regeneration 5. I understand if this messes with the flavour though.

Finally, I suggest picking a single gender (either "he" or "it") and sticking with that throughout the writeup.

MOURNFALLOW, THE GREAT TREEGARGANTUAN PLANT ([Extraplanar])
Hit Dice: 16d8+96 (168 hp)
Speed: 20 ft.
Armor Class: 22 (+16 natural, -4 size), touch 6, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+30
Attack: Claw +14 melee (2d6+6) or rock +15 ranged (4d6+9)
Full Attack: 2 claws +14 melee (2d6+6) or rock +15 ranged (4d6+9)
Special Attacks: Baleful teleportation, rend 4d6+9, rock throwing, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Hardness 5, hibernation, low-light vision, plant traits, roots, spell resistance 21
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +5, Will +10
Skills: Concentration +25, Diplomacy +5, Hide -12*, Knowledge (nature, the planes) +23, Listen +24, Sense Motive +24, Spellcraft +23, Survival +6 (+8 aboveground or on other planes)
Feats: Brutal ThrowCAd (https://dndtools.net/feats/complete-adventurer--54/brutal-throw--278/), Improved SnatchDr (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/draconomicon--92/improved-snatch--3229/index.html), MultisnatchDr (https://dndtools.net/feats/draconomicon--92/multisnatch--3232/), Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (black vines), Snatch
CAdComplete Adventurer
DrDraconomincon

Mournfallow speaks Druidic, Terran, Elven, Sylvan, and Ignan. You take a +5 bonus to charisma based checks when speaking to Mournfallow in Druidic and a -5 bonus to charisma based checks while speaking in Ignan. The first time you speak to Mournfallow in Ignan you must make a Diplomacy check to prevent him from becoming enraged, DC 12.

Combat
When first awoken Mournfallow is automatically enraged and will attack any non-plant, non-construct, non-fey on sight. As it cannot move it will focus on anything within its impressive reach first then resort to throwing things and attempt to destroy any cover opponents may be trying to hide behind. If facing siege weapons or a particularly powerful archer it will counter with warp wood to destroy the weapons.

If attacked with fire it casts ironwood on itself. Mournfallow, while prone to hot temper and rashness, is not stupid. If it can see he is vastly outnumbered or outmatched, he will attempt to teleport or plane shift to safety.

If there are no enemies in melee range it will cast black vines to try to herd enemies toward it. Then, especially if faced with flying opponents, it will throw stones, earth, broken trees, or anything else it can reach. It may even attempt to teleport particularly troublesome enemies into reach and then crush them once they are close enough.

If reduced below 42 hit points it will cast ironwood on itself and reenter hibernation.

Once per round as a move action, Mournfallow may target any Large or smaller creature or object within 1000 ft. that he can see and teleport them to an open space within 10 feet of Mournfallow's space. Mournfallow may use this ability three times per day. A DC 21 Will save negates this effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Hardness (Ex)
Mournfallow is as hard as wood, reducing any damage he takes by 5. Electrical and ranged weapon attacks (other than siege weapons and similar attacks) deal half damage to the creature; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to the creature; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness. Fire damage ignores this hardness.

Hibernation (Su)
If Mournfallow is rooted at the beginning of his turn he may choose to enter a regenerative trance as a free action. While hibernating the creature cannot take actions, is unaware of its environment, and automatically fails all saving throws. However, while rooted and hibernating his regeneration improves to regeneration 10 and is overcome only by fire damage.

He can be communicated with in this state using speak with plants or a similar effect. He may also choose to awaken from hibernation when it sustains 10 or more damage from a single source or when a spell of 4th level or higher is cast within 120 ft. of it.

Rend (Ex)
If Mournfallow hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 4d6+9 points of damage.

Rock Throwing (Ex)
Mournfallow is an accomplished rock thrower and has a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown rocks. It can hurl rocks up to Large size. A “rock” is any large, bulky, and relatively regularly shaped object made of any material with a hardness of at least 5. The creature can hurl the rock up to five range increments. Mournfallow's range increment with thrown rocks is 180 feet.

Roots (Ex)
Mournfallow prefers to spend its time rooted deep into the earth. He may root himself in natural earth (i.e. soil, sand, loose rocks, or mud) as a move action. While rooted, Mournfallow's move speed is 0 ft. and it automatically fails Reflex saves. However, it also gains regeneration 5. This regeneration is overcome by fire damage and slashing weapons.

If Mournfallow attempts to move, teleport, or plane shift from its rooted position it must first sever these deep roots, dealing 3d8+6 damage to itself. As a move action it can prepare itself by taking the time to carefully uproot itself. For every consecutive round it does this it reduces the damage taken by 1d8+2.

As Mournfallow uproots or prepares itself to uproot, the ground within 60 ft. of it shakes as if by the minor tremor (https://dndtools.net/spells/spell-compendium--86/tremor--3927/) spell (DC 24 Reflex save to avoid being knocked prone). The Reflex save DC is Constitution-based.

7/day - warp wood (DC 15); 5/day – black vines (as black tentacles, DC 17); 3/day - ironwood, teleport; 1/day - commune with nature, plane shift (self plus objects and willing creatures only). Caster level 16th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Skills
*Mournfallow has a +24 racial bonus on Hide checks made in forested areas.

BasilicaNero
2020-01-21, 03:12 PM
Ok, so I've cleaned up the pronouns, added a feat, and tidied up in general a little bit.

I do like what you're going for there, and it does seem a bit simpler. But it seems to make the only reason to Root is turn on Regen 5 and part of the flavor is that as a plant it prefers to root and moves only when it has to). And seeing as how it already has Hardness 5 (or 10 with ironwood), and Spell Resistance 15, is Regen 5 while not hibernating too much?

Definitely open for discussion on it... I'm just afraid to make it crazy OP.

rferries
2020-01-22, 06:16 AM
The regeneration is most likely only going to be for flavour (n.b. overcome by slashing weapons unless hibernating as well as rooted), so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Compared to other creatures around his CR Mournfallow doesn't have a lot of offensive power but does have a lot of durability, which is good for your purposes (i.e. making him into an NPC ally).

Under the spell-like abilities section you could change black vinesto black roots and say "only while rooted".

BasilicaNero
2020-01-22, 04:58 PM
That's a good point. Added the Regen 5/fire & slashing while Rooted and upped his Hibernation Regen to 10/fire.

Think Im goin to leave rapid magic for now though, I like the feel of it better over Quicken Black Roots.

Thanks every one so much for all the feed back! The moment of truth is coming closer and closer; after last weekends session they will run into this guy 3 maybe 4 sessions from now.

So friggin excited!

rferries
2020-01-23, 08:47 AM
Have fun! Remember to edit the save DCs, skill points etc though.

Debihuman
2020-01-23, 08:54 AM
It now has 15 hit dice so it gets 6 regular feats.

You should probably clean up your original post so that everything is in a spoiler but the creature.

It doesn’t need regen as it is probably powerful enough.

Debby

BasilicaNero
2020-01-23, 11:18 AM
Have fun! Remember to edit the save DCs, skill points etc though.

It now has 15 hit dice so it gets 6 regular feats.

You should probably clean up your original post so that everything is in a spoiler but the creature.

It doesn’t need regen as it is probably powerful enough.

Debby

Alrighty!

I have fixed the save DCs based on the plant subtype.

I have calculated and spent his skill points appropriate to his Hit Die. The only weird one I kept was his Hide thing (-4/+12 in Forests) which seemed a good flavor choice because he's a big ass tree! :smallbiggrin:

Added Two Feats to make the six:

Insightful Reflexes (CAd) Add Int mod to Reflex Saves. ( I figure he knows he's slow so he is experienced and smart about positioning to avoid as much as possible.)
Precise Swing (Eberron) Melee Attacks ignore Partial cover. (I like the flavor that hiding half assed from him does nothing, he's just too massive!)

Tidied up the post and put all the work up into one Spoiler block.

I really like the flavor of him getting regen while rooted but I tend to agree with you that it shifts the CR which I ultimately don't want. I switched it to fast healing 2 while rooted in sunlight, making it mostly about flavour of it drawing healing energies from the earth and light because ... well ... he's a plant.

If anyone sees anything I'm missing: call it out!

rferries
2020-01-26, 12:28 PM
Statistics Block
-Attack bonus with claws should be +13 ( +11 BAB +6 Str -4 size)

-Attack bonus with rock should be +13 (as above, using Str instead of Dex via brutal throw) or +14 (+1 racial bonus for rock throwing)

-Constriction damage should be same damage as claw attack (effectively doubling claw damage)

-If you keep outsider traits you need an explanation in the writeup (same for all special attacks and qualities except the darkvision, low-light vision, plant traits, and spell resistance). Add Improved Grab.

-Spell resistance should be at least 17 (CR+5), better if at least 20 (HD+5)

-Reflex save should be +9 :D

-Skills should = HD + 3 + ability modifier, so Use Magic Device should be +21

-Synergistic skills (e.g. Diplomacy, Spellcraft, Survival, Use Magic Device) should be base ranks + ability modifier + 2 synergy bonus, so you should have:

Diplomacy +5
Spellcraft +22 (+24 scrolls)
Survival +5 (+7 aboveground or other planes)
Use Magic Device +21 (+23 scrolls)

Writeup
-Arrange entries alphabetically, and add Constrict, Improved Grab, and Outsider Traits entries.

-Make sure anything here matches the statistics block e.g. you have differing damage for the rock-throwing.

-Save DCs are usually 1/2 HD + Cha (for supernatural attacks) or Con/Str (for exceptional attacks) modifier. So, Baleful Teleport should be DC 20 and Roots should be DC 23.

-Final advice: delete the Constriction and Improved Grab entirely. The Snatch feats already serve that purpose, as does the black vines effect.

Hope your PCs enjoy! The model is gorgeous and you've crafted quite a flavourful NPC - hope they befriend it :)