PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Multiclass Advice

Iamacup
2020-01-07, 08:12 PM
Hello Folks,

First time multi classing and I'm looking for advice. We"re playing Iron Gods and in keeping with the setting I'm playing an Android Techslinger, and I'm loving it. My character has been discovering Brigh throughout the adventure, and i'm thinking of a level dip or full multi class into War Priest - Arsenal Chaplin, or Cleric - Iron Priest. This is mostly for flavour reasons, but I'm worried it will gimp my efectiveness.
From what I can see Arsenal Chaplain would maintain combat effectiveness, but Iron priest would be more flavourful. Any hints, advice, or thoughts on how this could pan out?

Cheers,

Cup

vasilidor
2020-01-07, 09:45 PM
the characters base attack will suffer, yes, but if you go half and half with cleric the spells you get will make up for that. Warpriest is a bit more iffy, but thinking it through, I do not think that you will really lose out on much either way. looking at arsenal priest the sacred weapon does not increase above 1d6, but the weapon you are using is probably hitting harder than 1d10 anyway. going Iron priest may be an overall gain if you do cleric if there are enough constructs to worry about.
I think either would be thematicly correct, and the real question is how much magic do you want your character to have and would you rather have major blessings or 5th level spells? some blessings (not all) are as good as 5th level spells when you get them.
as far as spells go, you would want to avoid those with saving throws for the most part. focus on either party buffs or self buffs, but never more than 1 per combat, unless you can get them going all day (most all day persist tricks were done away with in pathfinder). that said you will have access to a number of spells that would be handy if you know you are soon to be in a fight, or if you are going into dangerous territory. and never underestimate the utility of information gathering spells.

Kurald Galain
2020-01-08, 04:55 AM
Generally speaking, taking a one-level dip on any martial class is totally fine in Pathfinder.

Yes, you lose one point of BAB, and two hit points. On the other hand, you gain +2 to two saving throws; diplomacy/sense motive/spellcraft to your class list; a few spells per day (presumably self-buffs); the ability to use any cleric wand or scroll; and blessings (warpriest) or domain powers (cleric). If Brigh's domains are not to your liking, Separatist archetype lets you take alternatives like Liberation (Freedom of Movement at level 1) or Trickery (Mirror Image ability). If you want, you could even get bard song (Evangelist archetype) or the ability to never be surprised (Divine Strategist).

That trade is entirely worth it. You're a full-BAB class, you can spare a point of that to gain a ton of extra abilities. Go for it!

Psyren
2020-01-08, 04:08 PM
I'd take it further and reverse it - Techslinger can be the dip while one of the casters can be the main.

Rynjin
2020-01-08, 05:06 PM
I'd take it further and reverse it - Techslinger can be the dip while one of the casters can be the main.

Yeah; go Gunslinger 5/Whatever the rest and you're gold.

Inquisitor is a solid choice, Gunslinger and Inquisitor go together like peanut butter and jelly. If you really want you can then go into Grand Marshal (a Prestige Class) and have mostly full progression in both class' abilities (though not casting).

Iamacup
2020-01-08, 06:30 PM
Yeah, it sounds like for at least one level of dip I won't actually lose anything substantial for the character.
I am pretty set now on a dip into Iron Priest the cleric archetype. This will be level 7, so I'll be Techslinger 6/ Cleric Iron Priest 1. I wanted to get BAB 6/1 before dipping elsewhere.

I may decide to go further down the cleric path, and I'll certainly look into Grand Marshal before making that call.

Thanks for the info folks.

Cup