PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Joining my first 3.5 campaign in years as a player... Kinda worried?

MonkeySage
2020-01-07, 08:24 PM
First off, I'm definitely thrilled to be playing 3.5 again. But I'm playing with complete strangers, and I have no idea what they know or don't know and I also don't know a whole lot about the DM...

DM specified "Player's Handbook", and he specified 3.5... But some of the other applications are pitching Dragonborn Warlocks and Aasimar Dread Necromancer (and I'm wondering if the latter understands that's a prestige class)...

Any advice for me going forward as a player?

Mike Miller
2020-01-07, 09:08 PM
First off, I'm definitely thrilled to be playing 3.5 again. But I'm playing with complete strangers, and I have no idea what they know or don't know and I also don't know a whole lot about the DM...

DM specified "Player's Handbook", and he specified 3.5... But some of the other applications are pitching Dragonborn Warlocks and Aasimar Dread Necromancer (and I'm wondering if the latter understands that's a prestige class)...

Any advice for me going forward as a player?

Dread Necromancer is not a PrC. Are you playing IRL or online? Ask more questions and you will learn more about the group. You could always give it a session or a few sessions to see how it goes.

vasilidor
2020-01-07, 10:46 PM
You can't go wrong with druid. Out of the box one of the strongest classes, and can be reeled in without giving much up.

MonkeySage
2020-01-08, 03:42 AM
Oh I've already made up my own character. :smallsmile: Halfling Wizard, in training to become the oracle (title, not class) of his clan.

Particle_Man
2020-01-08, 11:06 AM
Well depending how things go you might just happen to meet the prerequisites for Loremaster, a prestige class in the DMG, so core. It might fit an "oracle" theme since loremasters are meant to be the ones that know everything worth knowing. You lose a few bonus feats (and need to spend feats and skill points on the prerequisites but you also gain nice abilities, skill points, etc., and your caster progression is not impeded.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm

Anyhow, a core wizard is easily more powerful than a warlock, and a fair bit more powerful than a dread necromancer. For magic items, I would aim for Boccob's Blessed Book (to save money on scribing spells into your spellbook). Pearls of Power are also nice. It is environmentally friendly to recycle spells. :smallsmile: