PDA

View Full Version : [5e] Help needed for a pet class

Chronic
2020-01-07, 11:58 PM
Hey everyone, a few days ago i saw a post from someone trying to put together his own version of a warlord class, with people sharing their opinions about the direction of such class.
One thing that i didn't saw was to make a pet class, and i started to give some thoughts about it and decided to expand on my idea.
The core concept would be for the warlord/leader/whatever the name you want to call it to use is own action to direct one or several creatures (soldiers for example), with an action taken by the leader resulting in a move action and an action for the controlled creature, the goal being to prevent abuse in term of action economy).

I have many ideas for the different abilities and upgrades of the controlled creature (or creatures, i've considered allowing up to two creatures controlled with a single action from the leader), what i don't have is baseline for damage per turn and tankiness.

To expand a bit my original idea is to tie some part to the leader stat (for example attack roll would be made with the proficiency and stat of the leader) while some would be unique to the type of creature (dmg per attack, AC and HP).

I think HP should be something along:
(class level) X (x). With x being a fixed number tied to the creature chosen. With for example 3 X (Class level) for a ranged attacker, and something like 6 X (Class level) for a tanky creature.
For ac i'm at loss, i guess tanky creatures would probably require a progression of their AC to keep being relevant through the game while attackers could keep a base AC.
Damage wise my intent is to follow simple guide line: tank should have mediocre dpr, ranger attaquer average dpr (considering it would be consistent due to range), and melee attaquer high dpr.

I would trully appreciate any insight on dmg and tankiness formulas i could use to make this class relevant but not overpowered.

Chronic
2020-01-08, 12:13 AM
I found a few charts for class dpr per level and will take time to read and digest them. But any advice is very much appreciated!

I have been very vague on what the classe would looks like in terms of flavour and abilities at the time being, this is by design, i will present a much more detailed overview of class and subclass later. I need to get a good grasp on the core mechanics before i get to deep on abilities and the likes since they should be balanced around the core design.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-01-08, 08:54 AM
Treantmonk's Temple has youtube videos for the beastmaster ranger and Battlemaster artillerist and how to calculate DPR.

Here's a link to his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=treantmonk

wayfare
2020-01-08, 04:25 PM
Hey everyone, a few days ago i saw a post from someone trying to put together his own version of a warlord class, with people sharing their opinions about the direction of such class.
One thing that i didn't saw was to make a pet class, and i started to give some thoughts about it and decided to expand on my idea.
The core concept would be for the warlord/leader/whatever the name you want to call it to use is own action to direct one or several creatures (soldiers for example), with an action taken by the leader resulting in a move action and an action for the controlled creature, the goal being to prevent abuse in term of action economy).

I have many ideas for the different abilities and upgrades of the controlled creature (or creatures, i've considered allowing up to two creatures controlled with a single action from the leader), what i don't have is baseline for damage per turn and tankiness.

To expand a bit my original idea is to tie some part to the leader stat (for example attack roll would be made with the proficiency and stat of the leader) while some would be unique to the type of creature (dmg per attack, AC and HP).

I think HP should be something along:
(class level) X (x). With x being a fixed number tied to the creature chosen. With for example 3 X (Class level) for a ranged attacker, and something like 6 X (Class level) for a tanky creature.
For ac i'm at loss, i guess tanky creatures would probably require a progression of their AC to keep being relevant through the game while attackers could keep a base AC.
Damage wise my intent is to follow simple guide line: tank should have mediocre dpr, ranger attaquer average dpr (considering it would be consistent due to range), and melee attaquer high dpr.

I would trully appreciate any insight on dmg and tankiness formulas i could use to make this class relevant but not overpowered.

The revised ranger from a few years back did a great job setting the baseline for what a companion can be. I'd use that as a starting point!