PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Low-level Wizard of Thay in Wood of sharp teeth

Pinjata
2020-01-08, 02:54 AM
So, due to shenannigans of my players, I need to flesh out one of my NPCs a bit more. Here is the info I have so far on him:
- He is a wizard of Thay
- He is about lvl 5
- His speciality is necromancy
- After the rise of Shazz Tam, he has severed links with current Thay structure, but he is on the lookout regarding political changes in Thay
- While things are evolving in his homeland, he is devoting his time to study of necromantic powers
- He had found an abandoned tower from the age of Netheril in Wood of sharp teeth
- He is currently studying the magical currents in the mentioned tower
- As for his posessions, he has a few hundred gp worth of gold and gems
- He has an ability to raise a dozen CR 1/4 undead, which is enough for a temporary buffer between him and anything that wants to hurt him

Very recently, he has detected a spike in necromantic powers in a glade, not far from his tower. It turns out, there is a powerful necromantic artefact resting there. He'd like for PCs to make a map for him of the region and he would pay for it. I don't know what price will PCs demand, but ... I'm wondering, how could this guy amass some more wealth to pay the PCs? I could just insert him having some sort of IOU-s, he could liquidate in city nearby Wood of sharp teeth, but playground often has some neat ideas, so ... I'm asking here.

J-H
2020-01-08, 04:48 AM
Magic items or scrolls would be most likely.

Here are five possible low-level necromancy-themed magic items:

Circlet of Command: This circlet allows the wearer to command 3 skeletal warriors created by the spell. The warriors have been upgraded with Hide armor for a higher AC/durability.

Ring of False Life: Cast False Life on yourself once per day (hey, it's temp HP to soak damage with)

Wand of Sickening: Casts Ray of Sickness twice per day

Skull Mask: Helm, casts Cause Fear 1/day

Onyx Pommel Gem: Attaches to weapon, causes it to deal +2 necrotic damage