PDA

View Full Version : Pipedream: Dual Whip-Wielding Gladiator?

SKW05
2020-01-08, 06:18 PM
The image of a Gnoll gladiator, wielding whips in both hands (paws?) has lodged in my imagination and will not leave me!

I blame the Critical Roll folks for this. I only recently started listening to their podcast, and they are fighting Gnolls at this point in campaign 2.

The problem: how to make this character concept not suck balls!

1) Whips are odd weapons, difficult to use effectively. Oddly, they aren't light, so I have to waste a feat right out of the gate.

2) Two weapon fighting (TWF) is difficult in 5e. Rogue and Swashbuckler seems to be the TWF go to, but the 5ft range on Rakish Audacity won't work on a whip.

I toyed with Bloodhunter too, but that wouldn't completely fit the ex-gladiator theme, plus it punishes mutliclassing quite a bit. And a build without some rogue exploiting a whip's Finesse would seem silly, I think...?

I've gone 3 levels of Rogue: Scout and 3 of Fighter: Battlemaster - but is there a better way to do this?

nickl_2000
2020-01-08, 06:27 PM
What about hunter ranger? Much of their melee magic is cast on self instead of a range. Hunter’s mark works well empty with two weapons.

You can mix in rogue for some goodies and battle master as well pretty easily as well.

stoutstien
2020-01-08, 06:29 PM
Something to consider is that you can have 2 whips and not use two weapon fighting. Once you get extra attack you can attack once with each of them and get similar effect without a feat.

Nagog
2020-01-08, 06:44 PM
Two Weapon Fighting is a difficult build to optimize, and 10ft range mechanics are surprisingly limited, however if you really want to maximize it, I'd suggest Warlock (any patron) 1, Ranger 1, Rogue x. With the recent UA Class Features for Rangers, they can cast Hunter's Mark without concentration a number of times = to their Wis, which can combine with Concentration on Hex for an extra 2d6 damage per hit if they're both on the same enemy. With Range of a whip to help defend against Concentration (perhaps with Sentinal), this can be a pretty effective build all around.

Hytheter
2020-01-08, 10:17 PM
Two Weapon Fighting is a difficult build to optimize, and 10ft range mechanics are surprisingly limited, however if you really want to maximize it, I'd suggest Warlock (any patron) 1, Ranger 1, Rogue x. With the recent UA Class Features for Rangers, they can cast Hunter's Mark without concentration a number of times = to their Wis, which can combine with Concentration on Hex for an extra 2d6 damage per hit if they're both on the same enemy. With Range of a whip to help defend against Concentration (perhaps with Sentinal), this can be a pretty effective build all around.

Only really effective if you can prepare in advance against a sole enemy. Otherwise you're looking at two rounds of set up before you're actually dual-wielding, and then another two rounds every time your targets drops to transfer mark and hex. You'd be spending most of your bonus actions on the spells instead of attacking. Plus you never get Extra Attack with that build so you're not even getting the most out of those spells anyway; you really should take Ranger to 5 for TWF style and Extra Attack as it gets you more than the 2d6 sneak attack from the rogue levels you're delaying.

clash
2020-01-08, 11:05 PM
A few suggestions:

Paladin to add a bit if range to smiting. Go variant human for the dual weild feat and at level 2 you can make 2 attacks at 10ft range and smite on both of them.

Kensei monk to make whips monk weapons for the higher damage dice and to add a bit more range to the monk.

Teaguethebean
2020-01-08, 11:36 PM
Idea that is a little out there. Giant soul sorcerer with a level of fighter. Spend your spells to get sorcery points and cast bonus action booming blade. Sadly this will need spell sniper so it won't come online until Level 5 but at lv5 for 1 sorcery point you could do 2d4+6+2d8 and 2d8 more if they close into melee. Not to terrible damage but it could be a nice boost. And if you also used green flame blade as your action you could do 1d8+cha to another person.

Kane0
2020-01-09, 12:06 AM
Fighter and paladin i'd say, other classes (Barbarian, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock) rely on bonus actions which conflicts with your off hand attacks. Fighter gets extra ASIs for the feat (not to mention tasty subclass options like Battlemaster) and the fighting style (Pally doesn't get TWF by default), Paladin can use smites without needing a bonus action or free hand.

JellyPooga
2020-01-09, 04:33 AM
Barbarian 5/Rogue X makes a very nice whip&shield build, with the Rage damage offsetting the low Whip damage. Strength all the way. For TWF, though, it's not so hot without snagging Fighter or Ranger for TWFighting Style.

Straight Ranger isn't too shabby for any TWF build and a little (or a lot) Rogue on the side never hurts.

Kensai Monk has been mentioned, but outside of the scaling damage, doesn't really take advantage of the whips features.

My go-to without thinking too hard about it would be Battlemaster Fighter/Swashbuckler Rogue. BM offers a degree of control that is amplified by the reach of the whip and you get all the usual Fighter/Rogue goodies.

SKW05
2020-01-09, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replies - I hadn't thought about ranger at all. I must look into that one.

DevilMcam
2020-01-09, 10:33 AM
I've toyed with this Idea before, sadly, PAM is superior in almost all points : you get better armor, stronger action attacks, same AC (by taking defense FS) and a good reaction attack.

I'd say find a way to get the proficiency with the whip on a sword bard.
Maybe convice your DM to trade the musical instrument of the gladiator background for it.

That way you have the fighting style, and fancy manouvers to use at reach range on a Dex Based Class and full spellcasting

GlenSmash!
2020-01-09, 01:03 PM
Is Unearthed Arcana on the Table? A Brute would be a pretty solid way of adding damage to a whip wielder.

Joe the Rat
2020-01-09, 01:40 PM
Deconstructing the pieces:

The one thing whip has going for it is that it is a finesse, reach weapon. That screams sneak attack ...which is somewhat ambivalent about dual wielding. If you want to go this route, a RogueBarian blend can handle your sneak proc by Reckless Attack. This is straight brutal flogging.

Paladin or Blade Pact Warlock can get you to smite pools - Pally has a broader pool to Radiant Nova, Warlock has a later start, and a one-two force bomb followed by a nap for the day. Conquest Paladin ought to be all over whips. A Pact with Yeenoghu's gang is fun as well.

Warlock and Ranger can add spells for damage, and class features (hexblade's curse, Hunter's choice of stackers) for a little extra. BM Fighter leans in here as well on a limited budget, but does add fun rider effects. Trip and disarm are classic, but frighten or goad plays well. Maybe toss in lunge just to be a wiseass.

I do like the Kensei line, particularly if you want to focus in one class. Monk tricks + fixing your basic issue (damage die) is not bad. That second whip will compete with martial arts/fob, so you may on occasion dial back the flagellation.

A level of fighter or two of ranger is highly recommended for the added BA attack damage.

If you are taking a non-rogue / lesser Dex build, you might consider going whip/flail, or having a pair of flails in backup. This is your short, heavy metal flogging lash. A bit more base damage if needed.

CTurbo
2020-01-09, 02:26 PM
Hmm....

Bugbear Fighter 1, Barbarian 5, Rogue X

15ft reach, Rage, Reckless Attack, and Sneak Attack all in one.

Max Str, keep Dex at 14 with Breastplate, probably take Mobile if you can. Scout Rogue is probably best. Any Barb will due.

Bugbear Battlemaster 20 would be fun. Busting out maneuvers from 15ft away would be cool. Hit from 20ft away with Lunging Attack.

Hunter Ranger 5, War Cleric 1, Scout Rogue X. Now you can stack (concentration free)Hunter's Mark with Divine Favor and add Sneak Attack and either Horde Breaker or Colossus Slayer.

Misterwhisper
2020-01-09, 02:57 PM
I like the idea of a warforged with arm blade whips, that would look pretty amazing.

Especially if you somehow later come across tha symbiont whips from Eberron.

Fighter base, brute if you can take ua stuff, if not battlemaster is great.

Squeeze in one level of barbarian at some point as an oh crap rage button.

Also ua but the alternate class features ua would let them be monk weapons if you get proficiency some how, that would give them scaling damage.

loki_ragnarock
2020-01-09, 09:31 PM
Paladin 2/ Blade Bard X

And now, I'll try to justify it by eliminating other more popular options:

Sorcerer: With a constantly available offensive bonus action brought about by possessing a second whip, the benefits of quickening a cantrip are on mute. Sure, it's marginally more powerful, but your getting the bulk of what you need from a paladin/sorcerer in the form of more spell slots to smite with.

Rogue: It's a finesse weapon, which is spectacular for rogues... who don't start proficient with them, which requires either a multi-class or a feat to acquire. Doable, but since sneak attack only pops once a turn, any extra attacks just make it more reliable, not more damaging.

Fighter: Battlemaster can pop some extra damage to enhance the whips, gets a ton of attacks to make up for the low damage, gets the relevant fighting style. But he can run out of those extra dice pretty quickly, so you'll get one round or two of an impressive whip, and then several more rounds of doing basic whip damage. Lame.

Paladin: SMITE! But lacks the relevant fighting style. Still, you could do worse; just getting an extra opportunity to smite at distance when you need to is a solid addition to the paladin repertoire.

Monk: Kensei means more damage potential than a standard whip user, sure, but with tons of features that are effectively incompatible with actually two weapon fighting. Easy to flavor that way, though; just hold a second whip.

Why Paladin/Blades Bard?

Easy; you get a little bit of everyone's upsides. Extra spells slots and faster spell progression like a sorcadin to fuel those whippy smites? Check. Extra attack and smite like a paladin? Check. Double proficiency on Athletics checks like the rogue? Check. Additional dice you can add to your damage that carry a rider effect like the Battlemaster? Check. Possess the relevant fighting style like the fighter, plus an *extra* fighting style to become more durable? Check. Heavy armor proficiency like the Fighter and Paladin? Check.

It lets you swing a double fist full of whips with a fistful of die to match, while also broadening your gladiator into doing additional things.

Even so, it's not too late. To whip it. Whip it good.

EDIT:
It's college of swords, not college of blades. One day, I will remember.

Also, if you really just want to crack that whip, give the past a slip. Ignore all that above and go Paladin 2/ Whisper Bard X. Fewer chances to hit, but one of those hits will spend a spell slot and a bardic inspiration to produce two fistfuls of dice.

Nagog
2020-01-10, 02:39 AM
Only really effective if you can prepare in advance against a sole enemy. Otherwise you're looking at two rounds of set up before you're actually dual-wielding, and then another two rounds every time your targets drops to transfer mark and hex. You'd be spending most of your bonus actions on the spells instead of attacking. Plus you never get Extra Attack with that build so you're not even getting the most out of those spells anyway; you really should take Ranger to 5 for TWF style and Extra Attack as it gets you more than the 2d6 sneak attack from the rogue levels you're delaying.

True you wouldn't get multiattack with this build, although tbh adding another die to both attack rolls is typically a better option than TWF's bonus action attack.

Round One- 1d4(adv 2.5)+ mod (3)+ Hex = 5.5 dmg
Round Two- 1d4 (2.5)+ mod (3)+ 1d6 (3.5) + Hunters Mark= 9
Round Three- 1d4 (2.5) + mod (3) = 2d6 (7) + 1d4 (2.5) + 2d6 (7)= 15
Total: 29.5 damage

Without HM and Hex:

Round One: 1d4 (2.5) + mod (3) + 1d4 (2.5) = 8
Round Two: 1d4 (2.5) + mod (3) + 1d4 (2.5) = 8
Round Three: 1d4 (2.5) + mod (3) + 1d4 (2.5) = 8
Total: 24 damage.

So while yeah, it takes a bit to set up, it ramps up damage by quite a bit, to the point that once it's set up you're dealing nearly double the damage per round that you would be dealing normally. Rogue is typically for the Cunning Action so you have more flexability and the Swashbuckler's bonus to Initiative to get it started earlier, as well as allow Sneak Attack Damage on AoO provoked by enemies attacking flanking allies (as Sneak Attack is once per turn, you can use it for AoO and on your own turn). On top of all of that, Rakish Audacity is also a good deterrent to enemies getting within 5 feat of you. Since you only have 1 reaction, you can only keep one enemy at bay with Sentinel, but a second one getting past that will be in range of Rakish Audacity when otherwise you'd have 2 enemies within 5 feat and no sneak attack on either of them.
Another reason I'm pretty set on that synergy with this build is because many Whip builds rely on the likes of Booming Blade/Spell Sniper to keep enemies at bay, but once a second enemy gets in or they tank that damage, it's over. Your next turn is disengaging and starting again. Swashbuckler allows you to keep fighting at both 10ft and 5 ft ranges and optimizes the usage of Rakish Audacity despite being outnumbered.

Also on an unrelated note, nice avatar! I've got me a monk who's aesthetic is entirely based on Ganondorf (because I'm not good with people names, his name is Nagog. XD)

SKW05
2020-01-10, 03:34 AM
UA is very much on the table - I should have said! :smallredface:

HiveStriker
2020-01-10, 04:55 AM
I've toyed with this Idea before, sadly, PAM is superior in almost all points : you get better armor, stronger action attacks, same AC (by taking defense FS) and a good reaction attack.

I'd say find a way to get the proficiency with the whip on a sword bard.
Maybe convice your DM to trade the musical instrument of the gladiator background for it.

That way you have the fighting style, and fancy manouvers to use at reach range on a Dex Based Class and full spellcasting
Hi.
Sorry to point this out but you're wrong when speaking in general terms (beyond specific OP use-case).
You cannot have the cake and eat it. If you pick the TWF FS, damage is superior to PAM.
Better armor is not warranted either, it depends on your main stat (and so your choice of armor, which in turn can affect mobility and stealth), unless indeed you pick the Defense FS.
Effective AC is also lesser with PAM overall, although the preemptive opportunity attacks works very well at low level to have a chance to kill an enemy befores he can even try to hit you.
Effective reach is also lesser with PAM overall, since none of the weapons qualifying for the use of that feat are throwable IIRC (I remember seeing people saying that spear was now officially added to the qualifying weapons, which would certainly change things, but I have no idea where they picked that from).

The big interest of PAM is providing a bit of everything in a single feat, which is great if you intended to use quarterstaff or similar weapon with reach and want/need to conserve other "feat slots" for other things (otherwise Sentinel is plain better if you have to choose between both; stacking the two can be hilariously effective too but it's quite an investment to make just for the sake of better reaction).

Now for the specific OP use-case, that relies on reach non throwable weapons, the main (only) benefit of dual-wield whip with Dual Wielder over PAM is the ability to make a full DEX build and/or qualify for Sneak Attack.

UA is very much on the table - I should have said! :smallredface:
Lots of great builds suggested above.
I'll just have to disagree on the assumption that Kensei Monk would work bad with your idea. Sure, the bonus action competition is hot, on another hand Monk provides a good amount of abilities in mobility and defense, better dice, plus Stunning Strike (which can be fluffed nicely as "ensnaring the enemy in your whip tail").
So while I agree that Ranger is a very strong option, if you went that route, you may consider a mix with Monk.

The Paladin (Vengeance?) / Swords Bard is another great idea.
The Barb/Rogue has a slight edge in that it's less stat dependent.

Honestly I wonder how you'll be able to choose. ^^

Hytheter
2020-01-10, 05:37 AM
True you wouldn't get multiattack with this build, although tbh adding another die to both attack rolls is typically a better option than TWF's bonus action attack.

I'm not talking about the TWF attack, I'm saying you want Extra Attack (the Martial feature) because it massively increases the amount of damage that Hex and Hunter's will do, doubling your damage output (minus sneak attack) in the first two rounds and adding 50% after that.

Round One- 1d4(adv 2.5)+ mod (3)+ Hex = 5.5 dmg
Round Two- 1d4 (2.5)+ mod (3)+ 1d6 (3.5) + Hunters Mark= 9
Round Three- 1d4 (2.5) + mod (3) = 2d6 (7) + 1d4 (2.5) + 2d6 (7)= 15
Total: 29.5 damage

Your maths is off here. You seem to have forgotten to add the 3.5 from Hex at all steps; it should be d4+3+d6=9 in round 1 and d4+3+2d6=12.5 in Round 2. I'm not sure what you're doing in round 3, but by my reckoning it should be 2d4+4d6+3=22, for a total of 43.5 across three rounds.

My point though is that with Extra Attack and TWF style it would be 2d4+6+2d6=18 on round 1, 2d4+6+4d6=25 in round 2 and 3d4+9+6d6=37.5 on round 3, totalling 80.5. This is obviously better, even if you add the 2d6 Sneak Attack (from 4 levels in rogue instead of Ranger) to the one attack build. Anything that adds damage per attack benefits most from making lots of attacks, and for that you want Extra Attack.

Another reason I'm pretty set on that synergy with this build is because many Whip builds rely on the likes of Booming Blade/Spell Sniper to keep enemies at bay

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that since OP wants to dual-wield he probably doesn't want a build that only attacks once per turn.

DevilMcam
2020-01-10, 05:45 AM
Assuming the opportunity cost to dual wield whips is 1 fighting style (twf) and 1 feat (dual wielder).
You get +1 ac from the feat,
Main action 1d4+mod (and Maybe extra attack)
Bonus action 1d4+mod
10ft reach.
Dex based

For the same cost pam get
+1 ac from fighting style
Main action 1d10+mod (and Maybe extra attack)
Bonus action 1d4+mod
10ft reach
Réaction attack.
STR based.

Sure you May get another fighting style than défense but then the Damage is even higher for pam build.

The only thing the whipbuild has for it is the ability tous be dex based.
My point his of you want optimisé it the dex part has to be the center point. And not as in "pick à build that can be dex based" but rather à in "pick de build that can not be strength based"

loki_ragnarock
2020-01-10, 12:54 PM
Assuming the opportunity cost to dual wield whips is 1 fighting style (twf) and 1 feat (dual wielder).
You get +1 ac from the feat,
Main action 1d4+mod (and Maybe extra attack)
Bonus action 1d4+mod
10ft reach.
Dex based

For the same cost pam get
+1 ac from fighting style
Main action 1d10+mod (and Maybe extra attack)
Bonus action 1d4+mod
10ft reach
Réaction attack.
STR based.

Sure you May get another fighting style than défense but then the Damage is even higher for pam build.

The only thing the whipbuild has for it is the ability tous be dex based.
My point his of you want optimisé it the dex part has to be the center point. And not as in "pick à build that can be dex based" but rather à in "pick de build that can not be strength based"
Well, the real advantage of whip builds is that you can use a shield with a reach weapon to produce an extra tanky combatant who can reach out and touch face; a space that the weapon uniquely inhabits. But a whip and shield isn't any more what the OP requested than a gnoll with pole-arm; he wants to go forward, move ahead. Try to detect it. It's not too late to whip it.
Whip it good.
EDIT: All that followed was WRONG, the product of a sleepless mind. Removed.

loki_ragnarock
2020-01-10, 11:42 PM
(Still very tired, but I took the time to correct the bits that were patently wrong. Reposted for the OP to consider.)

Which makes me think more about justifying the Paladin 2/Blades (Swords) Bard X as a vehicle for dual whipping.
As a gnoll, you'd be stuck using one whip until you can pick up the feat at level 4 regardless; before level 4 you'd have a whip in one hand and a dagger to throw in the other. With this build, that disappointment would extend to level 6. I know. Tough to swallow. But at level five, you'd get the relevant fighting style. It would be quite a while until you got a proper "extra attack," but access to that second weapon would basically serve as your extra attack at level 5; you get to keep up with the other dedicated melee classes at that level with two attacks. Between the feat and taking defense fighting style from paladin, you're effectively always wearing a shield; you are a rough equal for someone who is going with a sword and board, but for a slightly lower damage die. It will be a while, but once you hit level 8 you're actually pulling a little ahead of most of the fighting classes when the actual "extra attack" feature kicks in and allows you three attacks per round.

So from level 4 on, you aren't really doing any worse than, say, a type of straight laced paladin in the basic fighting department. After level 8, you're coming out a smidgen ahead.

But in several other ways, you're coming out ahead well before then. You'll never get those juicy paladin auras, but what you get instead is an accelerated smite progression.

A level 5 paladin, for instance, could smite some 6 times per day; 4 at level one, 2 at level two. This build gets to smite 7 times per day; 4 at level one, 3 at level two. But the disparity becomes more pronounced just one level higher. At level 6, a paladin can still only smite 6 times a day. This build gets to smite 9 times per day; 4 at level one, 3 at level two, and 2 at level three. Not only is it more raw smites, it's better smites than what the paladin will see for three full levels, until he catches up at level 9. But this build has been leveling too, and at level 9 this build is able to smite 12 times a day; 4 at level one, 3 at level two, 3 at level three, and 2 at level four. That's a number and quality of smites the paladin won't reach until level 15. In terms of having the resources to make a whip actually hurt, this gnoll is pulling well ahead of the pack.

But wait! You also get mini-smites from bard! Don't dump charisma, because that nets you blade flourishes. At level five, it's a mere 1d6 extra a few fingers per day, but the riders can be very powerful; you're already nearly as tanky as a sword and board fighter, but a couple times per day you can add 1d6 (3.5) to that AC to become tankier still. Not too shabby when a dude with two whips is out tanking standard shield tanks. But it only gets better over time. At level 7 those mini-smite AC boosters increase to a d8, which is pretty bitchin', but they also become a short rest resource. This means that even if you've gotten through all your paladin based mega-smites you will probably still be able to have the resources you need to keep swinging those whips with greater than expected force throughout the adventuring day. From there, the dice will only increase in size (albeit slowly) but the main feature of making you a short rest warrior kicks in as early as level 7.

And best of all, your mini-smites and your mega-smites can stack; neither take an action to use, and both trigger off a hit with a weapon attack. By the strictest reading of the rules, your mini-smites will only trigger when hitting during the attack action rather than your bonus action attack, but if that's the one you hit with you get to add a bucket of extra damage *and* make your person nigh impenetrable.

So, assuming a 16 attack stat and charisma, ignoring your rates to hit since that can vary wildly, assuming you're only smiting once in a round even though you could theoretically smite more than that, here's a level by level breakdown:
Level 1: The Dead of Night.
Standard whip damage and a thrown dagger: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4 (2.5) = 8 damage.
Not great, amigo; the early levels are kind of a drag no matter how you go about this, though. Something with the relevant fighting style could push it to 11 damage, but their raw potential won't be as high. Smiting can help, but at 3 times per day at level three, you'll have to choose your moment.
Level 2-3: The Greying Sky
Smite whip damage and thrown dagger: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4 (2.5) + 2d8 (9) = 17 damage.
While you have to pick your moments, those extra 9 points of damage are a huge boost to damage output. While I'm intentionally ignoring hit rates, keep in mind that extra smite damage can trigger off either hit. This means you've got twice as many attempts to make it happen in a round compared most warrior types at this level. Groovy. The extra point of armor from paladin is like wearing half a shield.
Level 4: The Pre-Dawn
Standard whip damage and a thrown dagger: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4 (2.5) = 8 damage.
Jeeze, that’s not really improving very quickly, but your number of smites has sky rocketed to 6 a day, and you've got 2nd level slots to play with. Not an insubstantial boost to damage, and you can be a smidge more loosey goosey with them during a day.
Smite whip damage and thrown dagger: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4 (2.5) + 3d8 (13.5) = 21.5
Not bad. Certainly not damage any hobgoblin wearing plate would expect from a whip slashing through his armor.
Level 5: The Sunrise
Standard whip damage and a thrown dagger: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4+3 (5.5) = 11 damage.
That fighting style finally kicks in, and it is glorious. Smites are still your go to for throwing down the dice, and things look very similar from that end. BUT now you've also got your bardic mini-smites, an extra 1d6 to damage and additional AC; that's tasty tanky. Further, you're faster in rounds you take the attack action, giving you the mobility to be wear you need to be with that 10ft reach.
Double Smite whip damage and thrown dagger: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4+3(5.5) + 3d8 (13.5) +1d6 (3.5) = 28
Now we're cooking with gas.
Level 6: The Sunrise With All The Pretty Colors
Your standard routine is now two whips instead of a dagger! That really doesn’t improve your damage output, so I’ll skip the outline, but it does set up the aesthetic. But what you really get - thanks to your defense style from paladin and your feat combining – is to run around with an AC as if you were wearing a shield without actually wearing a shield. Not too shabby. Also, your smites upgrade to level three slots at this point. Bitchin'!
Double Smite Double Whip: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4+3(5.5) + 4d8 (18) +1d6 (3.5) = 32.5
Level 7: The Morning
Heck yeah. An increase to the die (d8) you use for bardic mini-smites, and thus an increase to your AC (4.5). More important, they refresh on a short rest, allowing you to be much more casual in using them. More powerful and more often? The damage boost is minimal, but the AC increase is reaching big, swinging... whip territory. Again, your standard whip remains the same and is thus omitted, but your smiting just improved a smidge, especially in frequency over the course of a day.
Double Smite Double Whip: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4+3 (5.5) + 4d8 (18) +1d8 (4.5) = 33.5
Level 8: The Zenith
Standard Double Whip: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4+3 (5.5) = 16.5
Extra attack comes into play, increasing not only the raw damage potential of a round, but also the number of opportunities available to throw down a smite. You also get a level 4 slot to throw down a smite, you lucky devil, increasing your smite to levels hitherto unencountered. Crack that whip!
Double Smite Double Whip: 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4+3 (5.5) + 1d4+3 (5.5) + 5d8 (22.5) +1d8 (4.5) = 42.5
Level 9: Cloud Cover
The last couple levels were a series of incrementally ascending badassery, and you and your big, swinging whip have probably made a name for yourselves. Which is good, because you don’t get much at level 9. I ain’t going to lie to you. An extra 4th level smite in a day is going to feel real underwhelming after the cresting wave of awesome you’ve been surfing. Level 9 will feel a little like a wipe out. Co-wah-bunga. Your proficiency modifier will increase by 1, which means non-whipping things like skills with expertise and skills without proficiency increase, so you still won’t feel like it’s an empty level, even if you aren’t actively getting much better at whipping things beyond hitting more often.
Level 10: When The Cream Sets Out Too Long
Standard Double Whip: 1d4+4 (6.5) + 1d4+4 (6.5) + 1d4+4 (6.5) = 19.5
And here, now, the moment you’ve been waiting for; an ASI boost for your attack stat. Further, you get a fifth level spell slot to smite with. You know when paladins get one of those? Level 17. Hopefully, you have the presence of mind to look as smug as you feel when you decapitate someone with a whip.
Double Smite Double Whip: 1d4+4 (6.5) + 1d4+4 (6.5) + 1d4+4 (6.5) + 5d8 (22.5) +1d8 (4.5) = 45.5

However, I'll throw the previous assumptions out the window to demonstrate how much of a badass you have the potential to be at level 10, should you commit to whip it good.

No Holds Barred All Paladin Smite With Max Level Slots And Bardic Smite And Everything Hits But No Crits NOVA SLASH!: 1d4+4 (6.5) + 1d4+4 (6.5) + 1d4+4 (6.5) + 5d8 (22.5) + 5d8 (22.5) +5d8 (22.5) + 1d8 (4.5) = 90.5

It's not the most damage possible at that level from a single round at that level, for sure. But it's pretty damn good for whip when combined with an AC that won't stop, and popping that smite nova on a round where you crit will lead to your dice rattling like thunder. You would continue to keep getting some extremely cool stuff as you earn more advanced degrees from your bardic college, but level 10 seems the best place to stop the detailed progression; you’re not going to get much better than this for pure whipping, and a lot of games don’t get much farther than this, anyway.

Just some post 20 highlights though:
Level 12: Welcome to Magical Secrets.
Because of the phrasing of magical secrets, you’ll be able to use it to learn a 6th level spell instead of a 5th level spell like a normal bard would. Bitchin’! That 6th level spell should be one highly reviled by most of the folks who would normally be able to access it, but one that’s especially tasty to you. I’m talking about Tenser’s Transformation, my hyena headed friend! Add 2d12 (7) to each of your three attacks (21), attack with advantage, get 50 extra hit points, and proficiency with strength and con saves for 10 minutes, once a day. That doesn’t seem too shabby at all for someone who primarily slings whips, and it simply synergizes with your three attacks too well to ignore. You won’t be able to cast spells, but all your other spells slots can be turned into smites, anyway. A bundle of problems for others, a masterclass in spell theft for you.
In addition to Tenser’s Transformation as a once per day rage mode, you get another round of expertise for double skill proficiency and your inspiration die increases in size to increase your AC even further. Level 12 is good for you.
Level 14: Welcome to Your Defining ASI
ASIs are few and far between when you aren’t a fighter. You could max out your attack stat, which is probably the correct thing to do. Or you could pick up Sentinel to try to generate some reaction attacks to lay some extra smites out there. Since you won’t get another for a long time, and when you finally do you won’t be playing with it for much longer, this is effectively your ASI capstone. Think about it.
Level 16: Always Be Smiting and Magical Secrets
This is where you get the option to just use a d6 for your mini smites instead of having to rely on your bardic inspiration to fuel them. Which means 1) you can mini-smite every round you attack in, and 2) you finally free to use your bardic inspiration on someone else. Take that, paladin aura.
Also, you get another magical secrets, which you can use to nab an 8th level spell instead of a 7th like a normal bard would. I have no suggestion here, because 8th level spells basically mean that the sky is very nearly the limit. Surprise me. Surprise yourself. Surprise your friends and your enemies. Take Holy Aura to really embarrass the paladin with his weak sauce garbage and overcome your secret inferiority complex? Take Feeblemind to rub it in the face of other spellcasters? Take glibness to lean into being a bardic stereotype? Take Clone for when a good time turns around? Any of them are at your finger tips. Level 16 is a good level for you.
Level 17: Bardic Inspiration
A proficiency bump that helps your jack of all trades skills and your bardic inspiration reaches the formidable d12 just in time for you to be able to freely use it on your increasingly loving and adoring fan base… I mean, fellow party members.
Level 18: The Apex ASI
This is it. The last one. Ever. What’s it going to be, bub? What’s it going to be?
Level 20: The Final Cou… Magical Secret
This is it. The spell that defines your career. If it’s not Wish, then you are a failure, because not taking the opportunity to Wish for more whips is pretty lame. Also, you get to cast Tenser’s Transformation twice a day. Bitchin’.

And that's just what you get with whips. You also have the ability to throw down a hypnotic pattern if that's what the situation calls for. You have skills of all sizes and shapes, even adding a bonus to the ones you shouldn't. As a gladiator, you can grapple with the best of them, sure, but you can also get applause at toastmasters or perform adequately at the local tavern trivia night. You don't *just* whip things; you've got the options to participate in all the pillars of play. Social, exploration, the whole kit.

But when somethin's goin' wrong? You must whip it.

For stats, go strength and charisma, in that order. Wear full plate and take defense style from paladin for a 19 AC, 20 at level 6. Once you can contact with those bardic flourishes you’ll be sitting at 23-24 AC on average, which is nothing to sneeze at for the relevant levels.
Dump dex. You don't actually get much from it.

Please excuse the double post, ya’ll. Correcting the obvious errors that would have totally undermined the thesis was sort of necessary.