PDA

View Full Version : Polearm Master, Push as Reaction?

DwarfFighter
2020-01-09, 05:07 PM
Can you use the "free" attack when an opponent enters reach to perform a Push to knock them prone?

-DF

JoeJ
2020-01-09, 05:20 PM
Can you use the "free" attack when an opponent enters reach to perform a Push to knock them prone?

-DF

RAW only mentions shoving as part of the Attack action, which occurs on your turn. That said, I'd allow a shove to replace any melee weapon attack you can make, whether it's an action, bonus action, or reaction. It just seems like common sense to me that if you can swing a sword or poke with a spear, you could just as easily shove.

nickl_2000
2020-01-09, 05:41 PM
If you are going to allow a shove instead of attack don’t limit it to PAM. This isn’t RAW, but I’ve seen it allowed by DMs plenty.

Any time you make a weapon attack you can make a shove instead. Limiting it to PAM makes a very powerful feat even more powerful.

bid
2020-01-09, 07:20 PM
Trip attack from BM would work with reaction.

da newt
2020-01-10, 08:56 AM
RAW doesn't allow it, but waiving this rule doesn't unbalance anything that I can see.

Shove prone + Sentinel on your OAs = they can't get up.

Without Sentinel the shove OA would only burn half of their movement to stand back up and then finish their turn (including attacks).

BM trip attack is a better option (if you have Sentinel), otherwise I'd recommend Menacing Attack.

Zhorn
2020-01-10, 10:05 AM
Another vote for using Battle Master Manuevers to get a shove (trip or push) on a reaction attack, be it via investing in Fighter levels or the Martial Adept feat. It's by the book, so you're not as dependant on your DM letting you do a thing (an important factor if you even want to transport that character between games).

DwarfFighter
2020-01-10, 10:21 AM
Is Shove an "Action", or is it an "Attack"?

-DF

stoutstien
2020-01-10, 10:26 AM

-DF

The shove in question specifically calls for the attack action.
Saying that, if the polearm was wielded in two hands i would allow it but the target would have advantage on the check.

nickl_2000
2020-01-10, 10:59 AM

-DF

From the PHB page 195

"Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this
attack replaces one of them.

So, according to the rules. You can make a shove in place of 1 of your attacks when you use an attack action. Grapple works the exact same way.

da newt
2020-01-10, 11:41 AM
The Shove Attack does not require a free hand - you can shove with a shield or dagger or pike in your hand, or a free hand or whatever with no penalty or disadvantage.