PDA

View Full Version : DM Help D&D Trivia Dungeon!

A_Gray_Phantom
2020-01-10, 04:11 AM
I've been introducing the different sphinxes to my players throughout their adventures, but not with traditional riddles. Instead, I've been implementing logic puzzles for them to ponder over. I'm coming up on the androsphinx, and I want to do something a little different with him. Instead of a logic puzzle or a riddle, I want him to run a game show!

I imagine it like this: each player opens up our group chat on Kik. I ask a question related to D&D or the adventures they've had, and the first player to send the word "DING!" gets the opportunity to answer and earn points. The player with the most points at the end wins a prize. (I've yet to figure out what the prize should be...)

I'm also thinking of doing lightning rounds in the case of a tiebreaker. Players pass a ball back and forth between themselves, and are tasked to name as many undead as they can. Each time they get the ball, they name an undead, pass, and the other player names one, pass, and so on. When a player can't think of a creature, or repeats one, they're out.

The trick is to think of a series of questions that they can answer. Most of my players are new to D&D, so I'd want to ask questions most can answer. I was originally going to ask trivia questions about their various campaigns, but we have 2 new players, so that might not be fair.

A couple examples I'm thinking about are: "What sort of attack is presented when someone moves through a threatened square?"

"DING!" "An attack of opportunity!"

"Correct!"

"What creature type is a mind flayer?"

"DING!" "An aberration!"

"Corrrrrr-ect!"

Another mechanic I'm thinking of implementing is the use of knowledge checks. Roll a 15 on a knowledge check, and the player is presented with a multiple choice! (Maybe the knowledge check should be higher?)

Do y'all have any suggestions on D&D trivia I can use? I'm open to all suggestions, whether they be about game mechanics or identifying monsters. I'd surely appreciate getting plenty of questions :smallbiggrin:

Elvensilver
2020-01-11, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a cool idea.
But, just for context: why is the Androsqhinx running a quiz-show for the PCs? What does he have to gain from that? And how can the PCs use the points they earn by answering correctly? :smallconfused:
So, for questions:
What is the breath weapon of a blue/green/bronze Dragon?
Which spells allow you to break a curse?
Which types of creatures are immune to sneak attacks?
Where do chaotic evil/neutral good/chaotic good souls end up after dying?

Jay R
2020-01-11, 09:10 PM
“In the original Dungeons and Dragons, what five races are listed as possible PCs?”

Men (not “humans”), elves, dwarves, hobbits (not “halflings”), and, as an example of other possibilities, balrogs.

Save this for a real expert. [Or for that annoying player who thinks he’s an expert.]

A_Gray_Phantom
2020-01-13, 05:30 AM
Sounds like a cool idea.
But, just for context: why is the Androsqhinx running a quiz-show for the PCs? What does he have to gain from that? And how can the PCs use the points they earn by answering correctly? :smallconfused:
So, for questions:
What is the breath weapon of a blue/green/bronze Dragon?
Which spells allow you to break a curse?
Which types of creatures are immune to sneak attacks?
Where do chaotic evil/neutral good/chaotic good souls end up after dying?

To answer your questions: one of each of the sphinxes are represented as a group in my campaign setting. (I guess there are other sphinxes in the world, but I'm focusing on this group as a gimmick.) They've been challenging the PC's because they're trying to impress Nef, the gynosphinx, who treats them all like they're part of her personal reverse-harem.

The hieracosphinx, being the dumbest, challenged them with threats of violence. "Say something true, and I'll crush these slaves you just rescued. Say something false, and I'll crush the NPC rogue you all like! Also, I hate paradoxes, so if you say something like, 'This sentence is false,' I'll kill both groups!!"

This was a coercive logic puzzle: https://youtu.be/mS5eEhLN57s

The criosphinx, being slightly more intelligent, challenged them with a magical competition. They have to battle in a tri-mage tournament, using wands with a percentile failure chance.

Again, a logical puzzle: https://youtu.be/mS5eEhLN57s

The androsphinx... well, I'll be honest. I ran out of good logic puzzles that I thought would be fun and thematic for the party. I figured I'd surprise them with something that would be fun and unexpected! Also, the thought of Andy the Androsphinx wearing a flashy outfit and talking into a microphone while an instrumental version of Jump Up Superstar plays in the background just puts a grin on my face :smallbiggrin:

Aside from all that, all the sphinxes are bored. They live outside of time, but don't have much else to do in their own demiplane, so this is how they entertain themselves. (It also ties into how the PC's are also able to alter time, but that's a LONG story.)

As for the points, I figured the winner could select a prize from a pile of prizes. I'll offer a list of magical items, and the winner may pick ONE and only one.

“In the original Dungeons and Dragons, what five races are listed as possible PCs?”

Men (not “humans”), elves, dwarves, hobbits (not “halflings”), and, as an example of other possibilities, balrogs.

Save this for a real expert. [Or for that annoying player who thinks he’s an expert.]

Good stuff! Thanks!