PDA

View Full Version : Most Versatile Favored Shapes for Master Transmogrifist?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-01-10, 10:38 AM
So, you have an epic master transmogrifist (race is indeterminate at this point), and since the campaign is so high level, he has a number of spells that have been grandfathered in to the favored shapes mechanic (mostly for much higher HD forms). Plenty of instances of Assume Supernatural Ability and Metamorphic Transfer available (although, to be fair, shapechange largely makes these obsolete unless you're using polymorph any object or alter self for some reason, instead).

What would be the most versatile and powerful forms available for someone with a decent breadth of spells beyond polymorph types?

So far, I have:
• Chronotyryn / Choker: Extra actions each round is great for any time throwing out lots of spells (or being really mobile) would come in handy. Pretty well negated by the hagunemnon for most purposes, however.

• Doppelganger, Ethereal / Doppelganger, Greater: These are great for taking humanoid forms, especially those who have class levels. You can build up a repertoire of different character builds to swap to, more or less at will. Otherwise, humanoid forms are easy, and they're not really all that special. It's the various class combos (different from one's own) that shine here.

• Hagunemnon / Protean: Having near a half-dozen different special abilities at a time from any monsters I want is extremely useful, especially since they can be swapped out by the round. Having extra move actions available each round is an absolute must, however (which could be nabbed via chronotyryn or choker, at the cost of one or two of your chosen abilities).

• Hydra [12-headed]: While this can also be obviated by the hagunemnon, it's not a surety that any given table will allow you to use 1 racial ability to gain multiple heads and the ability to make multiple attacks with them, or if you have to spend 1 racial ability per head and another to attack with all of them at once. This shines with sources of bonus damage that apply to one type of attack.

• Mimic: Mi-mi-mi-mimic! Most people don't really consider a mimic form to be terribly useful, as far as I'm aware, but the ability to take object forms while remaining a creature has a surprising amount of utility. Acting as overland party transport or laying an ambush for someone who can spot invisible creatures could see this form being quite valuable.

• Prismatic Dragon [Any]: One of the strongest melee forms in the game, since prismatic dragons are pretty much second only to things like time dragons for sheer face-eating potential. Size ranges from Huge to Colossal+, which is a bit of added versatility. Really high HD issues, though.

• The Tarrasque: Has one of the best forms of regeneration in the game, and nigh unkillable by most means. Adding on the ability to cast spells and an extremely high intelligence only makes this better. A solid contender, if you can swing the HD limit.

I'm at a loss as to what to take after this. Smaller combat forms that don't get obviated by the doppelgangers' abilities to swap one's entire build at will would be a major benefit, although I'm drawing a blank. Most of the above combat forms are Huge size or larger, so I'm not sure what to do there.

Any further suggestions? Go into details as to why your forms are good choices, if you would; it helps to know what points you're trying to make.

Hellpyre
2020-01-10, 11:32 AM
I'd recommend taking a look at eggynack's Druid guide, specifically the wild shape sections.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-01-10, 11:41 AM
I'd recommend taking a look at eggynack's Druid guide, specifically the wild shape sections.Druids are typically animals and elementals only. Neither type is particularly known for versatility beyond movement modes.

Hellpyre
2020-01-10, 11:52 AM
He has sections for both aberratiins and dragons as well, since those are available with feats. The Thoon Elder Brain, for instance, is a great form, much better than a choker in most situations.