PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Roguish Archetype- Shadow Touched

sleepyhead
2020-01-10, 07:26 PM
Shadow Touched
Your soul has been corrupted with Shadowfell energy granting you some of its power.
Shadow Clone-
Starting at 3rd level, you can summon a shadow clone of yourself.
As an action, you create a shadow clone of yourself until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell). The shadow clone appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within 30 feet of you. The Shadow Clone has its own initiative right after yours and can interact with the world by interacting with objects, such as carrying items or pulling levers.

For the duration, you can use your action for the shadow clone to attack and it benefits from your sneak attack, but only one of you can sneak attack per round and you must use your own senses, all damage that comes from the shadow clone deals is necrotic damage.

Shadow Clone
Shares Size and Alignment of Creator
Armor Class 10 + Dexterity Modifier
Hit Points 1
Speed 30 ft., Climbing Speed 30 ft.
STR Same as creator
DEX Same as creator
CON Same as creator

Damage Immunities: cold, necrotic, poison
Senses: None
Languages: Can understand same languages of its creator but can't speak
Challenge: Vague

Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained

Borrowed Features: Shares all Rogue class features with creator including sneak attack and features granted by the Shadow Touched archetype. The Shadow Clone also uses the same pool of resources as the creator for example, if the Shadow Clone uses the Black Hole ability the creator must have at least one use left and it gets spent by the Shadow Clone,

Shadow Form: While in darkness the Shadow Clone may take the hide action without cover in areas of low light.

Actions
Shadow Slash. Finesse. Melee Weapon Attack: 10 + Dexterity Modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 necrotic damage.

Shadow Weapon-
As a bonus action you may summon a weapon you are proficient with, this weapon disappears one minute after it leaves your grasp. If you create a weapon with the ammunition property you may choose between using shadow as ammunition or your own ammunition. The weapon keeps all of its other properties. This weapon deals the default damage type or necrotic damage.

Shadowport-
Starting at level 9 as an action you may switch spots with your shadow clone as long as you can see it, In addition you may teleport 30 ft to an area of low light that you can see. You also gain 30ft of darkvision.

Spirit Ball-
Starting a level 13 as an action you can fire a ball of necrotic energy that corrupts magic and strength. You make a ranged attacking roll this blast can travel 60ft. and deals 5d6 necrotic damage. In addition targets make a wisdom saving throw with a DC = 8 + Proficiency Modifier + Intelligence Modifier, on success nothing happens, on failure the target has disadvantage on concentration checks and targets can’t use the multiattack feature for the next 1d4 rounds. A target affected by a spirit ball can’t fall under its effects again for the next 24 hours.

Black Hole-
Starting at level 17 as an action shadow arms burst from the ground in a 120-foot circle starting from you. For the duration, these hands turn the ground in the area into difficult terrain for creatures of your choice.

Creatures of your choice in the area when you cast the spell must succeed on a Strength saving throw with a DC = 8 + Proficiency Modifier + Intelligence Modifier, or be restrained by the shadow arms until the spell ends. A creature restrained by the shadow arms can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. On a success, it frees itself.

This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to your half your level, the conjured shadow arms then disappear into the ground. You can use this feature a number of times per long rest equal to your Intelligence Modifier and regain uses with on a shortrest.

So this is a little thing I through together real quick. A juicy PEACH would be nice.

Old Harry MTX
2020-01-11, 12:53 PM
I like the idea, but I feel that all the feature are too much combat oriented... I will suggest to change one of them in an utility one, like something stealth related (even if I don't like stealth in game...) or similar to the mage hand (shadow hand?) of the arcane trickster.

sleepyhead
2020-01-11, 01:43 PM
I like the idea, but I feel that all the feature are too much combat oriented... I will suggest to change one of them in an utility one, like something stealth related (even if I don't like stealth in game...) or similar to the mage hand (shadow hand?) of the arcane trickster.

I think it has plenty of utility. The Shadow Clone is basicly a set of extra hands and can grab things at a distance as well being able to swap positions with them allows you to teleport over 60ft. in two turns. or just over any 25ft. gap

Old Harry MTX
2020-01-12, 05:03 AM
I think it has plenty of utility. The Shadow Clone is basicly a set of extra hands and can grab things at a distance as well being able to swap positions with them allows you to teleport over 60ft. in two turns. or just over any 25ft. gap

OK, so you need to specify it. As written it seems that the only thing the shadow clone can do is attack and being transported 30 feet around.

Phhase
2020-01-12, 08:02 PM
It's a good idea! I like it (though I am a sucker for shadow themes). It is my duty to PEACH.

Now, feedback!

General: It's great, but consider granting normal or magical darkvision at some point. Probably only to 30ft at max. Not necessarily at an early level.

Shadow Clone
This is a great idea with lots of potential. I like it.

Does the shadow clone have to initially appear in a zone of shadow? Or, alternatively, does it form out of your own shadow? For extra coolness points, I think either creating it in an area of shadow, or simply detaching your own shadow are the best ways to go.

I don't think you need to stipulate that if you and the clone are both within 5 feet, you get advantage. You'd be flanking them anyway.

Now, the abilities of the Clone need to be worked out. Does the clone have a strength score? Can it physically interact? Since it's make of darkness, does it get bonuses to hiding? Here's my ideas for tweaks:

The clone has its own place in initiative, right before or after you, and takes its own actions at your mental direction. HOWEVER, it does have limits.

-As it is a shadow, it can move along any contiguous surface (up a wall, for example).

-No matter what weapon it's emulating, its base damage is 1 (But it can get sneak attacks, like you).

-It can only make 1 attack, regardless of how many you can make.

-It only has access to your Rogue class features.

-It has no possessions.

-You must be able to see it in order for it to act. If you cannot see it, it does nothing.

-While the clone lasts, you may recall it to your side as a bonus action.

-The clone cannot speak.

-As it is made of darkness, the clone may attempt to hide without cover if it is in an area of low illumination.

-The clone inherits your Dex skill bonuses.

Your other rules (AC, hp) still apply.

Optionally, allow for the player to be able to swap perspectives to the clone, in a similar vein to the Gaze of Two Minds Eldritch Invocation.

Oh, and this is Shadow Rogue, right, not Opium Rogue? May want to check the damage type on this class feature :smalltongue:.
Shadow Weapon
I really like this too. I especially like how you've stipulated that you can deal physical damage with the shadow weapon. I'm tired of the shadow archetype always being "hUrR iTs DaArknEess, so iT doeS EbiL dAmagE tYpE". Personally, my favorite style is shadow being partly physical, and partly cold (since a perfectly dark thing would absorb heat ad infinitum, or at the least, be cold).

Soapboxing aside...

Can you create a ranged weapon, like a crossbow? Does it create its own ammo? If it does, can you fire normal ammo out of it too? If you want to create throwing knives, for example, how many can you create at once? If you are proficient with a....less traditional weapon, can you conjure that? A shadow musket or ballista would be...interesting, for sure.

Also, if you are giving the player the option to use shadows for physical damage (Which I heartily support), give the other damage-dealing class features (Shadow Clone attacks, Spirit Ball) a similar option.
Shadowport
You gotta love shadow-stepping. May I recommend also allowing movement from one visible area of shadow to another (Say, at the same max distance as the clone)? This way, the clone is simply another shadow you can access.
Spirit Ball
Typo - "You make a Ranged ATTACK roll." Also, comma instead of the period after "60ft".

The name sounds a little more like a Dragon Ball Z attack than a shadow art, but it's no big. My pick would be something like Orb of Shade.

I like the idea of this disabling ability. It's fresh. What's the duration of the concentration debuff? It ought to be a little longer than 1d4 rounds. Consider using a skill modifier for the duration (Like Intelligence). The multiattack debuff is odd. In a good way. My first instinct is that it's quite powerful.

Important: if the target fails the save, does the concentration check forced by the damage from the Spirit Ball itself have disadvantage? It should.

Also, what exactly does "Affected by" mean in terms of this ability? Does it mean the debuff can only be applied once, or does it mean that both the debuff and damage can only be applied once? Personally, I'd prefer a limited number of uses based on a skill modifier, on a long rest.

Suggestion: In 5e, Concentration checks (Con saves, essentially) are only made when you take damage, and only for "Holding onto" a spell. That may not come up very often, in practice. There are many spells that are powerful that do not require any Concentration (viz. Fireball). If you want to hobble casting and attacking, here's another, very similar angle to come from.

On a failed saving throw, for a number of rounds equal to your int modifier, whenever the target tries to cast a spell, they must contest your Intelligence check or it is negated. Similarly, they must make a contested Intelligence check in order to attack with a weapon (Though they do roll multiple checks if they have multiple attacks). Consider it.

Also, with the above tweaks I've written for Clone, the Clone would be able to throw a Spirit Ball too. Though you'd have to add language to stipulate that the clone uses your stockpile of uses, and maybe that both you and the clone can't fire a ball in the same round (If you like).

Black Hole
Honestly, I have very few problems with this. Just a few questions.

Does a creature entering the field for the first time on a turn, or starting its turn there also have to make a save to avoid being restrained? Seems it ought to.

Short rest recharge is a bit powerful for such a huge AOE. The AOE might actually be a little too big. Try 60-80ft.

See the bottom-most note on Spirit Ball about the clone, and apply it to this as well.

Same note about name as Spirit Ball. Of the top of my head, try something like Forest of Shadow or Night Field, but you do you.

sandmote
2020-01-12, 10:55 PM

If you want this to work, I'd maybe redefine the shadow as a creature with stats. You know, to define how much that extra set of hands can actually carry. If you want 1 HP, I'd just replace it with having the shadow die whenever it takes damage. Means the same thing but is more obvious (and therefore is less of a mental load on the player/DM).

Overall, this is a much better necrotic rogue than the UA Rived rogue is.

sleepyhead
2020-01-13, 08:20 AM
Shadow Clone
This is a great idea with lots of potential. I like it.

Does the shadow clone have to initially appear in a zone of shadow? Or, alternatively, does it form out of your own shadow? For extra coolness points, I think either creating it in an area of shadow, or simply detaching your own shadow are the best ways to go.

I don't think you need to stipulate that if you and the clone are both within 5 feet, you get advantage. You'd be flanking them anyway.

Now, the abilities of the Clone need to be worked out. Does the clone have a strength score? Can it physically interact? Since it's make of darkness, does it get bonuses to hiding? Here's my ideas for tweaks:

The clone has its own place in initiative, right before or after you, and takes its own actions at your mental direction. HOWEVER, it does have limits.

-As it is a shadow, it can move along any contiguous surface (up a wall, for example).

-No matter what weapon it's emulating, its base damage is 1 (But it can get sneak attacks, like you).

-It can only make 1 attack, regardless of how many you can make.

-It only has access to your Rogue class features.

-It has no possessions.

-You must be able to see it in order for it to act. If you cannot see it, it does nothing.

-While the clone lasts, you may recall it to your side as a bonus action.

-The clone cannot speak.

-As it is made of darkness, the clone may attempt to hide without cover if it is in an area of low illumination.

-The clone inherits your Dex skill bonuses.

Your other rules (AC, hp) still apply.

Optionally, allow for the player to be able to swap perspectives to the clone, in a similar vein to the Gaze of Two Minds Eldritch Invocation.

Oh, and this is Shadow Rogue, right, not Opium Rogue? May want to check the damage type on this class feature :smalltongue:.
I changed it up and gave it a stat block, Not really a fan of the idea of swaping perspectives.

Shadow Weapon
I really like this too. I especially like how you've stipulated that you can deal physical damage with the shadow weapon. I'm tired of the shadow archetype always being "hUrR iTs DaArknEess, so iT doeS EbiL dAmagE tYpE". Personally, my favorite style is shadow being partly physical, and partly cold (since a perfectly dark thing would absorb heat ad infinitum, or at the least, be cold).

Soapboxing aside...

Can you create a ranged weapon, like a crossbow? Does it create its own ammo? If it does, can you fire normal ammo out of it too? If you want to create throwing knives, for example, how many can you create at once? If you are proficient with a....less traditional weapon, can you conjure that? A shadow musket or ballista would be...interesting, for sure.

Also, if you are giving the player the option to use shadows for physical damage (Which I heartily support), give the other damage-dealing class features (Shadow Clone attacks, Spirit Ball) a similar option.
Now you can, sure does,yep. One but thats enough to throw with your action. Just gonna make it so you can summon any weapon. I'll just put it at a maybe with the physical damage stuff.
Shadowport
You gotta love shadow-stepping. May I recommend also allowing movement from one visible area of shadow to another (Say, at the same max distance as the clone)? This way, the clone is simply another shadow you can access.
Done
Spirit Ball
Typo - "You make a Ranged ATTACK roll." Also, comma instead of the period after "60ft".

The name sounds a little more like a Dragon Ball Z attack than a shadow art, but it's no big. My pick would be something like Orb of Shade.

I like the idea of this disabling ability. It's fresh. What's the duration of the concentration debuff? It ought to be a little longer than 1d4 rounds. Consider using a skill modifier for the duration (Like Intelligence). The multiattack debuff is odd. In a good way. My first instinct is that it's quite powerful.

Important: if the target fails the save, does the concentration check forced by the damage from the Spirit Ball itself have disadvantage? It should.

Also, what exactly does "Affected by" mean in terms of this ability? Does it mean the debuff can only be applied once, or does it mean that both the debuff and damage can only be applied once? Personally, I'd prefer a limited number of uses based on a skill modifier, on a long rest.

Suggestion: In 5e, Concentration checks (Con saves, essentially) are only made when you take damage, and only for "Holding onto" a spell. That may not come up very often, in practice. There are many spells that are powerful that do not require any Concentration (viz. Fireball). If you want to hobble casting and attacking, here's another, very similar angle to come from.

On a failed saving throw, for a number of rounds equal to your int modifier, whenever the target tries to cast a spell, they must contest your Intelligence check or it is negated. Similarly, they must make a contested Intelligence check in order to attack with a weapon (Though they do roll multiple checks if they have multiple attacks). Consider it.

Also, with the above tweaks I've written for Clone, the Clone would be able to throw a Spirit Ball too. Though you'd have to add language to stipulate that the clone uses your stockpile of uses, and maybe that both you and the clone can't fire a ball in the same round (If you like).

Thanks. It does so I might just steal yours. Debuff was meant to be 1d4 and apply to both concentration and attacks. Probably will change duration to Int Mod. Yes, they have disadvantage on the roll. Never really thought of what it effects (damage or just debuff) but I like the idea of charges, might keep the resistriction because I feel like it wouldn't be very fun just to spam the BBEG with Spookyness and keep them from being effective. Mind if I just steal your idea for the failed saving throw bit? Sure.
Black Hole
Honestly, I have very few problems with this. Just a few questions.

Does a creature entering the field for the first time on a turn, or starting its turn there also have to make a save to avoid being restrained? Seems it ought to.

Short rest recharge is a bit powerful for such a huge AOE. The AOE might actually be a little too big. Try 60-80ft.

See the bottom-most note on Spirit Ball about the clone, and apply it to this as well.

Same note about name as Spirit Ball. Of the top of my head, try something like Forest of Shadow or Night Field, but you do you.

Yes they do have to make a save. Meant to be 60ft in every direction like Maddening Darkness. Done.

If you want this to work, I'd maybe redefine the shadow as a creature with stats. You know, to define how much that extra set of hands can actually carry. If you want 1 HP, I'd just replace it with having the shadow die whenever it takes damage. Means the same thing but is more obvious (and therefore is less of a mental load on the player/DM).

Overall, this is a much better necrotic rogue than the UA Rived rogue is.
Yeah I was thinking about this and if you agree then done.

Glad yall like it so far and thanks for the critique.

Old Harry MTX
2020-01-14, 02:52 AM
Just a clarification. You say that the shadow clone shares all the features with the character. Does this mean that a feature with a limitated number of daily uses have them shared or distinct between the two creatures?

sleepyhead
2020-01-14, 07:42 AM
Just a clarification. You say that the shadow clone shares all the features with the character. Does this mean that a feature with a limitated number of daily uses have them shared or distinct between the two creatures?

Right, yeah they have to share the same pool of uses.