PDA

View Full Version : Move and horses

psychoduck14
2007-10-21, 03:33 PM
I have a character that is going to ride a lot so I was wondering if I could move the 50.ft of the horses' move and then get off and move move my 30.ft?

MrNexx
2007-10-21, 03:45 PM
I have a character that is going to ride a lot so I was wondering if I could move the 50.ft of the horses' move and then get off and move move my 30.ft?

And then your horse is a ways behind you.

However, I would generally say no. You can do other move-equivalent actions while your horse is moving, but, IIRC, getting off is a move action in and of itself.

psychoduck14
2007-10-21, 03:48 PM
ok thats kinda what i thought. but what i jumped off instead of just dismounting as normal

MrNexx
2007-10-21, 03:50 PM
ok thats kinda what i thought. but what i jumped off instead of just dismounting as normal

Jumping is still a move action.

Of course, I may be wrong about this; I'm not as into 3.5 as some people are.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-21, 03:54 PM
You can have a ride-check to fast-dismount, yes. It's under the Ride skill in the PHB.

However, I don't think you can move after your horse has had a full move, for the same reason that you can't take a full attack when your horse charges. You still have to wait for the horse to get there, so it takes up the same amount of time for you.

Matthew
2007-10-21, 04:18 PM
The rules with regard to Mounts and Actions are not very clear. Strictly speaking, several Mounted Action Feats do not work by the RAW. However, any sensible DM can perceive the intent of the rule and that probably does not include using the Mount to increase your movement in the way described above, as the Horse consumes a 'Full Round' to move from Point A to Point B, so there is no additional time after it reaches point B for a Character to make a Move Action; to put it another way, the Rider and Mount act simultaneously.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-21, 04:34 PM
Why not let your horse make a double move and move 2x50 feet?

Matthew
2007-10-21, 04:36 PM
Whoops, misread that. Yeah, you could quick dismount and move if the Horse only made a Move Action.

Emperor Tippy
2007-10-21, 04:43 PM
Technically, by RAW, you can do it if you can make the Ride Check to Fast Dismount.

Most DM's don't allow you to though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-21, 04:56 PM
Most DM's don't allow you to though.

What? Why wouldn't they?

Matthew
2007-10-21, 04:59 PM
No idea, I would. Maybe Tippy means after a Double Move?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-21, 05:11 PM
Nahhh, that it certainly un-RAWful.

Matthew
2007-10-21, 05:18 PM
Heh, heh. Maybe it's Rawful Evil?

Clementx
2007-10-21, 06:45 PM
Because you can only fast dismount when you have a move action remaining, in case you fail your Ride check, which forces you to spend that move action to complete the dismount. So if pass the DC on a natural 1, you could try to get the DM to house-rule it in, but its not RAW.

Matthew
2007-10-21, 06:50 PM
Eh?

Fast Mount or Dismount
You can attempt to mount or dismount from a mount of up to one size category larger than yourself as a free action, provided that you still have a move action available that round. If you fail the Ride check, mounting or dismounting is a move action. You can’t use fast mount or dismount on a mount more than one size category larger than yourself.

Horse uses Move Equivalent Action (its Standard Action), Character uses Free Action to Dismount, Character uses Move Action to Move.

Grimfist
2007-10-21, 06:59 PM
I think people aren't really looking at how a round works time-wise. A round is 6 seconds, and so a move and standard action each take about 3 seconds. If your mount moves, it is expending 3 seconds of time to go from point A to point B. You should be able to make non-movement related move actions during this time. When the horse reaches its destination, if you use a move action to dismount, that should be taking you another 3 seconds... unless of course you intend to start dismounting from a moving horse (:smallwink: ), and so you have used up your six seconds, and do NOT have enough time to take a standard / move action after you have dismounted. If I were a DM, I'd rule that if you succeed on the fast-dismount you can use a standard action after dismounting, since fast-dismounting takes up effectively no time.

Emperor Tippy
2007-10-21, 06:59 PM
Character uses Free action to Fast Mount another horse. Horse uses Move Equivalent Action to move. Character uses Free Action to dismount. And so on until you circle the world.

Grimfist
2007-10-21, 07:02 PM
Character uses Free action to Fast Mount another horse. Horse uses Move Equivalent Action to move. Character uses Free Action to dismount. And so on until you circle the world.

That's why thinking about it in terms of time helps. :smalltongue:

Matthew
2007-10-21, 07:05 PM

Nah, we already addressed that by saying the Mount and Character's actions occur simultaneously. We're not talking Double Move, Free action, Move. The new Mount's actions would also be Simultaneous. So, we could have:

Mount Move (Standard Action)
Character Dismounts (Free Action)
Character Mounts (Free Action
New Mount Moves (Move Action)

But Actions would be over at that point, being measured by the Character.

Emperor Tippy
2007-10-21, 07:11 PM
That's why thinking about it in terms of time helps. :smalltongue:

But that ain't RAW. :smallamused:

2007-10-21, 07:13 PM
Whats that trick where you can fast-dismount and ten fast-mount another horse infinately, so if you had a long string of horses you could travel between cities within six seconds?

Grimfist
2007-10-21, 07:21 PM

Fair enough, but I figure the DM can either use my method to puzzle it out or just get pissed and drop some rocks :smallwink:

Matthew
2007-10-21, 07:39 PM
Whats that trick where you can fast-dismount and ten fast-mount another horse infinately, so if you had a long string of horses you could travel between cities within six seconds?

That's the Free Action Mount/Dismount Trick. It only works if you ignore the fact that Free Actions are limited by the DM [i.e. it only works if the DM is okay with you using two Free Actions for every two or three feet travelled].

Riffington
2007-10-21, 07:43 PM

If you find a DM whose houserule is to not use rule 0 here, please slap him for me :smalltongue:

Kompera
2007-10-21, 08:39 PM
Seriously. By RAW, apparently, the Kentucky Derby would be won by the rider crossing the finish line alone, well ahead of his mount. :smalleek:

Nowhere Girl
2007-10-21, 08:44 PM
That, and horsewhips don't work ... against horses. At all, thanks to their natural armor.

But a whip can be used two-handed, and you can sunder a steel door if you Power Attack with it. :smallbiggrin:

Matthew
2007-10-21, 09:19 PM
The RAW with regards to Mounts is not broken. It's completely unintelligible. The key problem is that a Mount acts on the Rider's Initiative; nothing else in the game acts simultaneously nor is it spelled out what precisely this means. What happens when the Rider becomes dismounted or mounted after Initiative has been determined is simply not legislated for (unless I'm missing something, and I hope I am). We've had a few lengthy Threads discussing how Rider relates to Mount, and without a RAW solution becoming apparent.

KillianHawkeye
2007-10-21, 11:21 PM
Heh, I was going to say that I'd house rule it so directing your mount's movement used a move-equivalent action, but this is directly contradicted by the rules for casting spells and making ranged attacs while mounted.

In the new edition of Star Wars RPG, it takes a minimum of a move action to pilot a vehicle, which I think makes total sense. But then again, horses are free willed beings rather than inanimate vehicles, so maybe that's why they get their own actions.