PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for first ever game

banice
2020-01-11, 03:27 AM
Deleted message

Galithar
2020-01-11, 04:21 AM
A couple of things.

Is this an Adventurers League game? Or just a club hosting some 5e D&D?

If it's Adventurer's League I would make sure people know that so those of AL experience can give you bits that is non AL players may not know (rule specific things, how loot is handled etc)

If it's just a club hosting 5e try to get in contact with the DM and see if there is anything that you need to know about how he runs the game. AL would be pretty consistent, but a non official DM may have some houseruled they run with.

Try to get a handle on these before the first session just so you know what to expect going in.

If you are knowledgeable about the rules, you can really play whatever you want. If you think you might have trouble remembering which resources refresh during short/long rest or what your spells do then something like a fighter might be a good place to start.

I personally find Barbarians to be the one of the most new user friendly classes. You only ever need to remember "Rage or no Rage" really. Plus a lot of players tend to enjoy the "hulk smash" schtick. Of course you are the best judge of what you'll enjoy.

Make sure you have everything on your character sheet correct at session 1. If you would like you can post all of your character creation information and the playground will help make sure you have all your modifiers and proficiencies set up correctly.

The most important thing is to have fun. The second most Important thing is to make sure that others are having fun. The third most important thing is to make sure your DM is having fun. To me all of those should be treated as equals despite my numbering them.

If something happens that detracts from your fun you need to step up and ask someone about it. Either another player, the DM, or an organizer of the event. Don't be hostile, but open a dialogue with them about it, before it means that you (or another at the table) has stopped having fun entirely.

Azuresun
2020-01-11, 04:41 AM
What type of character would be best for this game? I wish to keep things easy for myself, and avoid being problematic.

Should I play a fighter, to keep things simple? Or a bard, with good utility skills? Or a warlock with eldritch blast?

As mentioned above, whatever feels like a comfortable level of complexity for you right now. In addition, you could ask the DM and the other players what sort of character they'd like, or what sort would fill a gap in the party--maybe they could really use someone who can blast away with spells, be sneaky, or take to the front line. If you don't have a strong commitment to playing one role or another, this can be a good way to whittle down the possibilities, and it's more likely to be fun if you're filling a unique niche.

In addition, any notes about decision-making? Should I just go with what the other players do, since this is my first game ever, and l would lack knowledge and wisdom?

Again, I'd suggest talking to the DM and players, and get an idea of where the game is right now--the setting, the things the group has done so far, reasons your character might join the party, etc. Hopefully, they'll be accommodating to a new player, but don't be afraid to speak up if you'd like a bit more direction.

J-H
2020-01-11, 08:23 AM
I played a monk for my first game. It was OK. I always had something to do and some attacks to roll... but never did a lot of damage. 1st level problems.

FringeJacket
2020-01-12, 03:25 AM
Congratulations and have fun!

Galithar
2020-01-12, 05:46 AM
Speaking for myself, I enjoy when new players ask me questions. I don't care how "stupid" (I put that in quotes because I don't really believe they're stupid) the question is I enjoy teaching people about something I'm passionate about. What gets on MY nerves is when they don't absorb the information.

Example: Someone asks me how to figure out their spell save DC: I tell them it's 8 + Proficiency + Ability Modifier. Then I ask to see their sheet and we look to see what they are. This is fine.
What's not fine is when I've explained this to the same person 7 times and they still don't understand it.

Also not cool is asking me if you can cast counterspell to block a melee attack for the third time in a session...

Asking how to build a character to fit in with the party, or asking what the role-playing dynamic of the group is are questions I enjoy answering though.

Dienekes
2020-01-12, 03:07 PM
There are two golden rules for roleplaying.

1) Have fun.

2) Don’t prevent your party members from having fun.

I would suggest, if this is a first session for you while playing with a bunch of people who have experience together, it’s not unheard of to take a back seat and look at the parry dynamic for the first game. See how they joke around, or how serious they are, and the general speed things go by. You can fit yourself into that dynamic easier if you pay attention to that.

However, if it’s a bunch of people completely new to playing together, things are a bit easier to just create your own dynamic.

Play any character you feel like you can play. Spellcasters are usually a step more complex, but my buddy played a wizard first time playing D&D ever and didn’t have a problem. If you need a clarification on rules ask, just don’t be snooty about it. It’s ok to look a little stupid. Everyone knows D&D is a strange and occasionally complex game. Just try to remember the answers to your questions so you aren’t asking the same thing over and over. And even then, just being friendly and polite takes you far.

The only real firm advise on character to play is that I’d suggest not playing the lone badass who sits quietly in the corner brooding forlornly over lost loves and foreign cultures alien to those around them. Sure this archetype can be done well and can be done fun. But usually it just means you’re being ignored and limiting your chances to roleplay.

Chronos
2020-01-13, 09:37 AM
Don't spend too much effort figuring out exactly what you can do. Instead figure out what sorts of things you ought to be able to do. If it's something you ought to be able to do, then when it comes up, explain to your DM what you want to do, and let them tell you what you need to roll, and what skills you need to apply, and so on.

As to whether to play a spellcaster or a non-caster, that depends on your personality. Spellcasting has a lot more rules associated with it, and is more complicated. If you're the sort of person who enjoys exploring rules and their implications, then a spellcaster is fine (though even then, I'd probably recommend against a wizard for your first character). If you prefer things to be simple and direct, though, it can be a bit overwhelming.

SirGraystone
2020-01-13, 10:17 AM
First welcome to D&D.

Now I know it can sound scary to take a first step like this but everyone was new at some point.

For character creation any race or class in the player's handbook should be fine but I would stay away from the supplement or unearthed arcana.
Don't worry about making mistake everyone does just learn from them. Same with questions if you thing you don't understand do ask the DM.
Part of the DM job is to teach the game to new players.

Thing you can ask your DM before the game

- Will there be a session 0 to create character or should you make one before the game
- Is there any house rules you should know for character creation or the game

About stupid questions, a teacher once told me you are better to ask a question and look stupid then not ask and stay that way :-D
About looking "needy" unless you call the DM a dozen time and pester him all the time, don't worry about asking a few questions.
About decision making, there's two part of the game, the rules part that you are new and still learning, then there's the story part in which you should feel free to give you own opinion give your own advice on what should be done, it is as good as everyone else.

To create a character start with a theme, forget about the rules and think of what you want it to be. A farmer who became a warrior to protect his village from goblins? A wizard looking to find the secret of the ancients? An holy man wanting to protect the land? A noble man who's bored and took to steal as an hobby?
Then from there make a character that will be fun for you to play.

And always remember to have fun

Contrast
2020-01-13, 10:39 AM
I say first thing is take a bit of a breath and don't worry as much. I've seen a number of people new to the hobby massively over prepare and stress for their first session or get themselves in a real state about rules and characters when the real part of the hobby is sitting round a table and enjoying yourself and all the rulebooks and stuff are secondary.

Try not to worry too much about what you should and shouldn't be doing and advice from people on the internet and remember that the most important thing is to have fun. I agree with the advice about avoiding a spellcaster if you're worried about rules stuff but generally speaking someone else at the table should be able to point you in the right direction if you're ever lost.

Try to go in with an open mind and don't cling too tightly to your preconceptions of what the game should be like - every table is different. There's very few wrong ways to play so don't worry too much if you don't immediately gel - might just mean a different playstyle is for you and you can try something different next time.

Demonslayer666
2020-01-13, 02:53 PM
No matter how many questions I ask, I stay stupid. When I open my mouth and say anything that isn't by-the-book, people glare at me and then ignore me, or scold me for being stupid. I've been dis-invited from events and kicked from social groups after asking questions I thought I needed. I try to figure out why, but no one who's met me before wants to talk to me. I've taken courses on politeness and followed their advice, but it doesn't help. Besides, when people complain about me, it's not about my rudeness, but my stupidity. So I doubt it's about how I present myself.

@Contrast: These are all legit reasons for being stressed for my first session of DnD. I don't recall the last time I was able to enjoy myself without other people complaining that they're not enjoying themselves. I had to cater to them for them to have fun.

I want to make a character that's welcome to the next session.

Then don't worry about learning everything. I certainly don't require my players to know all the rules. All you have to to is tell the DM what you want to do and let the DM translate that into rules. You will get the hang of it in time.

Don't worry about what other people think about you. Focus on having a good time and don't stress the little stuff - and it's all little stuff.

You aren't the problem, the people you are associating with are the problem.

Your character will be welcome, if you have fun as a player, and make a character that is willing to help the party. It's that simple.

Spriteless
2020-01-13, 05:53 PM
You don't seem dumb here. If you have trouble, it's ok to take notes. Like, if the character sheet has like 100 things, and you need to ask about how to hit things over and over, get a notebook paper that has only what you need written on it. If you only ask a mechanical question once, then you will be ahead of many new players.

Also, maybe the outlander background could cover your questions. "Well I had to ask because that's not how we did things back home. In old country, exact opposite, things did us (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_reversal).

Demonslayer666
2020-01-14, 12:50 PM
I'll have to think about this, but this is a DnD thread, not a life support thread. Thanks for the words, guys.

Since my post got a little buried, I'll show it again here:

If a newbie player came up to a DM with a very long list of questions in the first session, how would the DM feel?

How to deal with your D&D group is a common topic here. Feel free to ask for any advice you need.

Make sure to give your DM the opportunity to cover their rules before sending them a long list of questions. Ask if they are going to have a session 0 to cover their rules and make characters. If they are not, I would recommend easing into it rather than sending them the whole list. Ask them about character creation first. After you get those answered, then ease into campaign info, and their games rules.

Some other questions I like to ask a new DM that are important to me:
How are absent players handled?
Are TPKs frequent? How is character death handled? New character starting level & wealth?
Do you play by the book, or change things on the fly?
Are there Magic items, can they be bought, sold, and crafted?
Do you allow PVP?
Are races considered evil (like orcs)?
Are things like necromancy and considered evil?

Spriteless
2020-01-14, 02:33 PM
If a newbie player came up to a DM with a very long list of questions in the first session, how would the DM feel?

Looking at that list, I personally would trim down the setting specific questions to be relevant to my character. Change "What races are allowed" to "Are half-orks allowed? If I play one, will I have to worry about getting lynched? Oh. What about variant humans?"

"Is it OK if my character worships [deity name]?"

"Should I be prepared for this character to die?"

"Would it be disruptive if I freaked out at the other player's magic? Hey, warlock player, would you be okay with my character freaking out the first time you do magic? I think it'd be funny to play a supersticious half-ork, but I don't want to ruin your fun. Oh it's okay? Let me know if I go to far though."

Like, the open ended questions are big picture ideas. The loaded character-specific questions are collaborative worldbuilding. They tell the DM kind of game do you want to play. I also like the theme and custom/homebrew rules questions, because those are a big clue as to the sort of game the DM wants to run. Even if the DM answers "No" then you know they want to run something simple to teach y'all the basics.

Some of the other questions, like how often to level up, resurrection, you don't need to know first session. Maybe at the end ask "Is there going to be a second session? :smallsmile: "

Some of the questions, like "Inspiration?" you might bring up when it's time. Like say "Oh, that was cool, I think [PC Name] should get inspiration!" It's a nice gentle nudge for rules that people forget exist.

Tawmis
2020-01-14, 04:01 PM
A community club near me will be hosting a game of DnD 5e.
I have been learning about 5e via the internet for a while, but this will be my first time playing any sort of tabletop game.
I don't know anyone in the community club, so I will be playing with strangers. I do not know any other details of the game.
What type of character would be best for this game? I wish to keep things easy for myself, and avoid being problematic.
Should I play a fighter, to keep things simple? Or a bard, with good utility skills? Or a warlock with eldritch blast?
In addition, any notes about decision-making? Should I just go with what the other players do, since this is my first game ever, and l would lack knowledge and wisdom?

I'd recommend - thinking of a few Race/Class combos you'd like to try and go in, with an order in which you'd like to play them.
And work with the group, and find a common ground - and then begin rolling dice.
I wouldn't say worry about the most effective at whatever you do - not for starters. Get in there. Have some fun.