PDA

View Full Version : Movies 1917

Bartmanhomer
2020-01-11, 02:08 PM
I went to see 1917 early this morning and I'm going to tell you my thoughts on the movie.

1917 Is a war movie about two {Scrubbed}soldiers Lance Corporal Schofield and Lance Corporal Blake trying to receive the message from an enemy terrorist in order to stop the attack. I really enjoy this movie because of the war violence that happens during that time. The movie was Oscar-worthy in my opinion it shows sophisticated art in that movie. I'll give this movie 5 out of 5 stars. :smile:

Hopeless
2020-01-12, 03:04 AM
Sounds interesting was it partly inspired by the event said to have brought about the founding of the Olympics?

The story sounds very similar barring obvious difference!

Ranxerox
2020-01-12, 07:43 PM
Sounds interesting was it partly inspired by the event said to have brought about the founding of the Olympics?

It sounded that way to me, but it is a very different story. IIRC, the distance that they travel is only nine miles, and instead of running with the enemy at their backs they are walking into land that was controlled by the enemy and some are still present in.

Bartmanhomer
2020-01-12, 07:46 PM

I don't think there's no Olympics inspired in this movie as far that I can tell.

Olinser
2020-01-12, 11:22 PM
Movie has a fascinating idea that I was highly skeptical about, but was pulled off quite well.

Namely, that they filmed the entire movie in the style of a single camera shot.

No cuts back and forth, no cutting to enemy troops or friendly officers discussing what's going on. You follow these 2 soldiers THE ENTIRE MOVIE, with no obvious cuts.

Pulled off very well, and gave you a sense of how small a window a soldier on the line really had into the overall war.

Brother Oni
2020-01-13, 11:47 AM
1917 Is a war movie about two British soldiers Lance Corporal Schofield and Lance Corporal Blake trying to receive the message from an enemy terrorist in order to stop the attack.

{Scrubbed}

Bartmanhomer
2020-01-13, 12:02 PM
{Scrubbed}?

Yes. It was {Scrubbed} after all.

The Glyphstone
2020-01-13, 12:33 PM
That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aedilred
2020-01-18, 06:57 PM
That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Indeed.

I find it difficult to express what I think of the film because my opinion on it is so tangled that it comes to my mind as a large incoherent lump which is hard to tease out into an explanation of precisely what I think or why.

Which I think says something about the quality of the film. It's difficult to analyse precisely because it's an experience which it's hard to create detachment from. And that's kind of the point. It's a Good Film.

The central performance in particular is really good. There is a suspension of disbelief element: for all of that to happen to two people in one day stretches credibility when you think about it, and I've heard it referred to as having the structure of a video game. In the cold light of day, maybe. But that didn't affect me while I was watching it.

Two points which would normally go in the film's favour stand out as possible detractions because they relate to points which reminded me I was watching a film. The first is the parade of relatively high-quality character actors, who appear at various stages of the journey. Nothing against their performances, but their familiarity was an issue.

The second is the one-shot styling, which is a cheap way to my heart. Atonement blew me away with its five-minute showing off. The opening of Touch of Evil is a masterpiece. Birdman had me riveted. But here, there were one or two points where I realised that subconsciously I was expecting a cut - and didn't get one - and that reminded me that "oh yeah, it's doing a one-shot thing". I don't think a handful of cuts would have hurt (just as they didn't hurt Birdman).

Khedrac
2020-01-19, 03:01 AM
my opinion on it is so tangled that it comes to my mind as a large incoherent lump

I am glad I am not the only one.

The film is beautifully made, beautifully set etc. etc., but to me its story is actually a good represenation of WWI because it makes no sense.

What's worse, is the really clever editing to make everything look like a single take means that the film suffers from really serious distance and time compression - e.g. the protagonists walk for say 5 minutes having a short conversation and end up at least half a mile from where they started...

I try to go into the cinema without preconceptions just looking to enjoy myself, which usually means I can like films that have glaring issues; in this caase, perhaps because the issues were more subtle, my suspension of disbelief kept failing.

For me if you want to enjoy the film-maker's art then go and watch this, if you want a good story go elsewhere.

jdizzlean
2020-01-19, 03:11 AM
The Mod Life Crisis: Since this movie is about a real world political reference, and it is impossible to discuss it w/o referencing said material, this thread is closed.