View Full Version : Clarity needed

ZorroGames
2020-01-11, 05:00 PM
From PeteNutButter Ultimate Optimizer Multi-classing Guide

Monk dipping Ranger For 4 levels

Spoiler: Monk/Ranger
Hide
Monk/Ranger

You might call this a Lone Wolf. A martial artist who spends his time meditating alone in the wild.

Dipping ranger gives a fighting style, some spells, and likely a hunter ability. The fighting stye is probably duelist on a traditional monk. Hunter’s Mark is a fantastic damage boost on a class with 3-4 attacks a round. The hunter or gloomstalker ability is just more damage. bolding mine This is a great choice for a 4 level dip, grabbing the precious ASI and avoiding doubling up on extra attack. It is completely void of MADness. Avoid Horizon Walker or Monster Slayer as there is too much bonus action competition.

Ranger dipping Monk for 4+ levels

Spoiler: Ranger/Monk
Hide
Ranger/Monk

You might call this a Lone Wolf. A martial artist who spends his time meditating alone in the wild.

Dipping monk could potentially increase AC, and gains monk features. There is good synergy here, although probably better left as the inverse, Monk/Ranger, as higher ranger levels don’t help as much.

Maxing dex, gives a decent AC further boosted by Kensei +2. Kensei allows dex usage of more weapons that a normal rapier ranger couldn't manage with finesse. Monk is the only class that doubling up on extra attack isn't so bad, as bolding mine stunning strike is a powerful enough feature on its own to avoid a dead level.

So is the doubling up “two attacks“ (I know you do not get an additional attack) worth the/level or not?

Arkhios
2020-01-12, 06:36 PM
If you started as a ranger, and got to 5th level before multiclassing, Stunning Strike still makes the Ranger 5+/Monk 5+ worth it.

However, if you started as a Monk, and got to 5th level before multiclassing, taking more than 4 levels in ranger isn't really worth it, unless you want some other feature from a higher level, and you don't mind having an essentially* "dead" level at 5th ranger level.

*I say essentially, because while you don't get a duplicate Extra Attack class feature and there's no other ranger class feature at the same level, a 5th level ranger does get 2nd-level spells by then. Which isn't "nothing", exactly.

In other words, you could say that "Ranger 5/Monk 5" is better than "Monk 5/Ranger 5".

ZorroGames
2020-01-13, 10:21 AM
If you started as a ranger, and got to 5th level before multiclassing, Stunning Strike still makes the Ranger 5+/Monk 5+ worth it.

However, if you started as a Monk, and got to 5th level before multiclassing, taking more than 4 levels in ranger isn't really worth it, unless you want some other feature from a higher level, and you don't mind having an essentially* "dead" level at 5th ranger level.

*I say essentially, because while you don't get a duplicate Extra Attack class feature and there's no other ranger class feature at the same level, a 5th level ranger does get 2nd-level spells by then. Which isn't "nothing", exactly.

In other words, you could say that "Ranger 5/Monk 5" is better than "Monk 5/Ranger 5".

Thanks. Appreciate the insight.