PDA

View Full Version : Magi subclass

paladinn
2020-01-11, 09:28 PM
Considering a "Magi" subclass for 5e. Historically the Magi were the priestly caste of the Near East, specifically Babylon and Persia. The prophet Daniel, when taken captive from Jerusalem, rose to become vizier and "prince of the Magi." This was likely also the tradition of the "Wise Men" of Nativity fame. The Magi were a combination of scientist, priest and (as the name implies) mage.

I know there is a "Magus" class in Pathfinder; but that seems to be the PF equivalent of the 5e EK or the 4e Swordmage, and definitely wrong-headed for this purpose. The Divine Soul Sorcerer seems like it would be more "innate"; Magi were definitely "trained." So I'm looking at either an Arcana Cleric or a Theurgy Wizard (which isn't "official"), likely with a Knowledge domain. They are called "Wise Men" for a reason!

Any thoughts?

Spectrulus
2020-01-11, 09:54 PM
I'm playing a Wizard School of Theurgy(Grave Domain) and I flavored mine as a lizardfolk shaman. Made it up to level 5 so far.

Wizard Theurgy is a lot of fun! I highly recommend it. Your domain will vary, but of course it is great to play. It sounds like a great fit for your desired playstyle too.