PDA

View Full Version : Ordained Champion channel spell Sword of the Arcane Order IUS spell choices?

bean illus
2020-01-11, 10:06 PM
I know that's an unconventional choice. But setting that aside, are there any prime spells to channel? Specifically ranger and wizard spells level five and under.

Channel Spell (Sp): At 3rd level, ... channel any spell you have available to cast into your melee weapon. ... a move action and uses up a prepared spell or spell slot ... . The ... next target ... ... , though saving throws and spell resistance still apply normally. ... if the spell normally affects an area or is a ray, it still affects only the target ... . . You can channel ... one weapon at a time. A spell .. is lost ... within 8 hours.

With this errata ...
Page 91 – Channel Spell
[Substitution]
(Su) should follow the class feature
name, not (Sp).
[Revision]
The first two sentences should
instead read, “At 3rd level, you can
channel any spell available to you
that has one creature or more as its
target into your melee weapon. Doing
so requires a move action and uses
up a spell slot or a prepared spell
of casting time no greater than one
standard action.”

AND combos are possible. With the move gone or a preloaded channeling there's possibly a standard available. Truestrike?

Troacctid
2020-01-11, 11:28 PM
You can channel spells with range: personal/target: you. So, tree shape is a pretty good one.

bean illus
2020-01-12, 12:25 AM
You can channel spells with range: personal/target: you. So, tree shape is a pretty good one.

Shoot an ally?
I hadn't thoght of tree stride, that's for sure.

Edit: are you saying I would control where the target goes?

Troacctid
2020-01-12, 12:35 AM
Not tree stride. Tree shape. The one that turns the target (normally you) into an inanimate tree for hours/level with no save.

Khedrac
2020-01-12, 02:11 AM
Channel Spell (Sp): At 3rd level, ... channel any spell you have available to cast into your melee weapon.
If your DM is applying the rules strictly then there's no spell you can hannel into your bow or arrow to use an as archer...

bean illus
2020-01-12, 08:24 AM
If your DM is applying the rules strictly then there's no spell you can hannel into your bow or arrow to use an as archer...

Ah, of course. Because turning someone into a tree with no save at 100'+ could tilt the game.

I removed references to archer in the post.

Menzath
2020-01-13, 10:52 AM
Channel Spell (Sp): At 3rd level, you can channel any spell you have available to cast into your melee weapon. Doing so requires a move action and uses up a prepared spell or spell slot just as if you had cast the spell. The channeled spell affects the next target you successfully attack with that weapon, though saving throws and spell resistance still apply normally. Even if the spell normally affects an area or is a ray, it still affects only the target in this case. On a successful hit, the spell is discharged from the weapon, which can then hold another spell. You can channel your spells into only one weapon at a time. A spell channeled into a weapon is lost if not used within 8 hours

Well, it doesn't say anything about throwing said melee weapon. Or telekinetic launching it, or whirling blade etc. So I still see options to at range mess with people.
There aren't even any clauses about if the weapon leaves your hands.

bean illus
2020-01-13, 11:53 AM
Well, it doesn't say anything about throwing said melee weapon. Or telekinetic launching it, or whirling blade etc. So I still see options to at range mess with people.
There aren't even any clauses about if the weapon leaves your hands.

Hmmm, any suggestions? Far shot and true strike on a spear? +10 to hit at 200'+.

TalonOfAnathrax
2020-01-13, 02:51 PM
Not tree stride. Tree shape. The one that turns the target (normally you) into an inanimate tree for hours/level with no save.
How do you get Tree Shape on a divine casting class capable of casting Magic Weapon? Or Magic Weapon on a Druid, I guess. All the ways I can think of delay entry to Ordained Champion quite a bit.

liquidformat
2020-01-13, 03:26 PM
How do you get Tree Shape on a divine casting class capable of casting Magic Weapon? Or Magic Weapon on a Druid, I guess. All the ways I can think of delay entry to Ordained Champion quite a bit.

Cleric 6/prestige ranger 2/ordained champion 5 only looses 3 caster levels which isn't too horrible.