PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Minotaur Sorcerer Build Help

Tokuhara
2020-01-12, 03:41 PM
So I just got my hands on a copy of the Midgard setting (3rd party Norse setting) and came across the Mazeborn bloodline of Sorcerer, which surprisingly caught my eye (Sorcerer bloodline that focuses on Psychic Damage and has a cool melee-esq ability where if you Dash, you can use your bonus action to cast a spell that requires a melee spell attack). Thought if I would build this (barring DM approval), why not go full kilt and be a Minotaur on top. So how can I optimize this?

Link to KP's write-up of Mazeborn Sorcerer: https://koboldpress.com/welcome-to-midgard-mazeborn/

Dork_Forge
2020-01-13, 12:38 AM
That's... certainly an interesting bloodline, but despite what you'd think it's pretty terrible to go with Minotuar. You don't get any racial bonus to Cha and the bloodline essentially turns you into a minotaur making for lots of redundancy. Goring Rush conflicts with Sorcerous Charge and your 6th level ability is made redundant by having the same horns from your race.

I'd suggest instead picking a more synergystic race and leaning into the transformation aspect of the bloodline, you still get your Minotaur themes but without a bunch of redundant abilities.

Teaguethebean
2020-01-13, 12:44 AM
I have to agree with dork. If you are a Minotaur you practically don't have a subclass until level 14.

Tokuhara
2020-01-13, 02:37 AM
So first, thank you guys for the response! Kinda expected this to get buried.

So the campaign I'll be in is Dragonlance, and I wanted to play a Minotaur anyways, and Mazeborn seemed like a cool "flavor-win" choice. Fully aware the lack of synergy, but there is a logic as well:

Low Levels, Sorcerer can easily run out of spells. Thought Goring Charge would fill that hole early on (Sorcerous Charge when I have spells, Goring Charge when I don't).

Mid Levels, yeah. The horns are redundant, the Goring Charge is less useful, and I generally have plenty of spells to not have to play with my opponent in melee. However, by this point, most casters have transitioned to casting spells as their answer to problems. And even though I'd be slightly behind on Charisma most of the campaign, by 12th level, I'm back in line and race choice no longer matters other than window dressing.

High levels, again, Race at this point is irrelevant. And I will generally be more focused on hurling Synaptic Static at my problems than beating it silly with a particularly heavy cudgel, but if things go badly, I can always grab my weapon and swing.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-01-13, 02:50 AM
Don't worry about not having a boost to Charisma. Enemies typically have meh saves until high levels and the d20 does most of the work. Even for attacks, the difference between a 14 and 16 at low to mid levels isn't all that noticeable.

Look in the DMG for the overrun special action. Fun times.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to grab 2 levels of rogue and a finesse weapon. When you must get out of harms way, a bonus action disengage will be amazing. You may even start with Rogue 2 and then go into Sorcerer as your Minotaurishness explodes. This will also get you expertise in a couple skills and a small weapon damage boost.

Your stats won't make you stand out but what you can do is have fun with your build. Choose some spells that most people would not, grab Subtle Spell for maximum hilarity.

Quiet bull in a china shop. You don't need to be optimized in 5e to be effective.

Tokuhara
2020-01-13, 05:56 AM
Strange enough, I considered a dip into Paladin to get Smite for the odd time I need to give someone the old "Right There, Fred," as well as some armor access. Plus, there's something iconic about a Minotaur with a Battleaxe, even if he's just rushing you with the intent to smack you with a spell instead of that weapon. Speaking of, what spells synergize with Sorcerous Charge?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-01-13, 07:00 AM
Strange enough, I considered a dip into Paladin to get Smite for the odd time I need to give someone the old "Right There, Fred," as well as some armor access. Plus, there's something iconic about a Minotaur with a Battleaxe, even if he's just rushing you with the intent to smack you with a spell instead of that weapon. Speaking of, what spells synergize with Sorcerous Charge?

Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade will let you attack with the battleaxe and the spell.

Shucking Grasp that the subclass feature give as example will work great.

Apparently those are the only 3 sorcerer spells I could find that make a melee spell attack.

A cleric dip or magic initiatie for Inflict Wounds will also work

A cleric dip will also give you armour.

Tokuhara
2020-01-13, 08:10 AM
Aw poo. So oddly enough the Sorcerous Charge is not very good as a feature. Shucks.

But hey, it's something that is pretty hot early on, then slowly fades from the toolbox as I go up in levels. Although Sorcerous Charge Booming Blade does sound hilarious

Dork_Forge
2020-01-13, 12:05 PM
Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade will let you attack with the battleaxe and the spell.

Shucking Grasp that the subclass feature give as example will work great.

Apparently those are the only 3 sorcerer spells I could find that make a melee spell attack.

A cleric dip or magic initiatie for Inflict Wounds will also work

A cleric dip will also give you armour.

Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade don't use melee spell attacks so they don't count of Sorcerous Charge.

OP the real issue was you asked for optimisiation but there really isn't much to optimise here, if you want to go Minotaur with this Bloodline then just pump Cha and give yourself whatever Str you can spare to make your horns somewhat viable. Powerwise you will likely fall behind others in some regards but for the most part you'll still be a full caster with metamagic to burn. Take Twinned Spell to make the most out of Sorcerous Charging Shocking Grasp (one horn per enemy).

Theaitetos
2020-01-13, 04:20 PM
Primal Savagery is a perfect fit for Sorcerous Charge mechanically and thematically. It was added to the sorcerer spell list in the UA-CFV.

There are also some other, lower level, spells that deal psychic damage from the UAs; check them out on DnD Beyond (https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells?filter-class=0&filter-class=6&filter-search=&filter-damage-type=57&filter-verbal=&filter-somatic=&filter-material=&filter-concentration=&filter-ritual=&filter-sub-class=).