PDA

View Full Version : No Rolls Please

Starchild7309
2020-01-12, 10:09 PM
So in a bit of a thought experiment, I am looking to create a character that has to roll the least amount of D20s. As a person that suffers from severe bad luck streaks, what character could I make that is the least dependent on my rolls?

I suppose I could just got wizard or some other spell caster and use a spell selection that is save only, but I am looking for something more interesting. I understand I will have to roll some, but what character can I put together that would be at least mildly effective and still reduce the amount of times by bad luck would have a chance to strike?

Open to any an all ideas from all WOTC 5E books. I am thinking some where between 5th and 10th level. Is there anything out there besides a caster?

Mikal
2020-01-12, 10:23 PM
Any caster with a wide variety of save spells will work. You don’t have to make the rolls now, they do.

I know you said you want something more interesting but to be honest one side or the other is gonna roll, and that’s the best way to do it.

Luccan
2020-01-12, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure there are many options outside magic for not rolling. Is rolling attacks ok then? If so, that might open up more options, but I'm still not sure it really leaves much to work with. What you want is a caster that can ignore as many saves and checks of their own as possible, I think. You might also look for cases where you can ignore rolling the damage/effect dice. For instance, Grave Clerics that cast a healing spell on a downed ally use the maximum numbers on the dice, rather than rolling to heal them. Actually, that makes me think a support caster that focuses on buffing/debuffing rather than effects dependent on your own dice might be ideal.

JumboWheat01
2020-01-12, 10:46 PM
Life Cleric's a pretty good choice. Focus on buffs/support, with a splattering of utility, let the Life Cleric abilities counter-act your (potentially) poor rolls with healing spells until you reach the point (maybe) of not having to roll when healing at all. Claim some pacifism and don't use offensive spells, but using Dodge will help you avoid getting hit and keeping Concentration going on your buffs. Using the Standard Array and a Hill Dwarf will give you nice HP, 16 Wis from the get-go for spell preparation, and the ability to wear heavy armor without being slowed down by it regardless of your strength.

Expected
2020-01-12, 11:25 PM
I'd suggest LudicSavant's Nuclear Wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23998967&postcount=170) or Hobgoblin Iron Wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23837856&postcount=45). For the Nuclear Wizard, it does high single target DPR with Magic Missile which does not have an attack roll. The Iron Wizard can use Magic Missile as well (albeit less effectively) but you can choose it as your spell for Spell Mastery.

Otherwise, the Arcana Cleric Frontliner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23794664&postcount=1) would be effective because you can use spells that force saving throws like Toll the Dead and Spirit Guardians.

Laserlight
2020-01-12, 11:52 PM
Back in 4e days, one of our players had a Designated Roller for this reason.

Eldariel
2020-01-13, 12:35 AM
Any buffer is just fine in this regard. If you're only casting beneficial spells on allies, you can't very well fail a roll. Maybe a Twin Spell Sorc or something, to maximize your ability to help allies. Spirit Guardians-style automatic damage character works too. And yeah, if you're fine with someone rolling, feel free to put the burden of saves on the enemy.

MaxWilson
2020-01-13, 12:48 AM
So in a bit of a thought experiment, I am looking to create a character that has to roll the least amount of D20s. As a person that suffers from severe bad luck streaks, what character could I make that is the least dependent on my rolls?

Necromancer. Offload all of your die rolls onto the DM by spending your turns Dodging (in heavy armor + shield) while using your bonus action to shriek, "Kill them! Kill them all!"

Zero rolling for you.

Luccan
2020-01-13, 01:04 AM
Necromancer. Offload all of your die rolls onto the DM by spending your turns Dodging (in heavy armor + shield) while using your bonus action to shriek, "Kill them! Kill them all!"

Zero rolling for you.

This works as part of the thought experiment, but in practice expecting the DM to roll the dice of all your minions for you is a good way to get things thrown at your head.

Galithar
2020-01-13, 01:20 AM
This works as part of the thought experiment, but in practice expecting the DM to roll the dice of all your minions for you is a good way to get things thrown at your head.

Agreed. Many DMs such as myself expect you to roll everything for your summons and to do so in an ordely and efficient fashion as to not bog down my game.

For not rolling the Nuclear Wizard is a good build. Also something where lower rolls impact you less is good. AKA high hit chance. 5e really doesn't give many options for this though. An Archer with the archery style is a good start. You have a +2 higher to attack then normal, but that's not going to save you from super low rolls.

micahaphone
2020-01-13, 01:57 AM
Why not the Passive Soul Sorc build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23910069&postcount=95) - a divine soul sorc with little to no damaging ability, just pure buff

da newt
2020-01-13, 11:00 AM
get an APP - never roll again.

Sigreid
2020-01-13, 11:05 AM
Did this with a storm sorcerer. Worked fairly well. Most used spell was hypnotic pattern which was ridiculously effective at turning encounters into cake walks.

Willie the Duck
2020-01-13, 11:10 AM
Nuclear Wizard is an obvious choice, as are buffers and Spirit Guardian-focused clerics. Beyond that, Battlefield Controllers can be great at this -- the guy that just dodges to keep their Fog Cloud or Spike Growth or Wall spell up, perhaps (especially if they have 3 levels in Thief Rogue) along with dropping caltrops and ball bearings and bear traps all over the place.

Smoothjedi
2020-01-13, 11:14 AM
Nuclear Wizard is an obvious choice, as are buffers and Spirit Guardian-focused clerics. Beyond that, Battlefield Controllers can be great at this -- the guy that just dodges to keep their Fog Cloud or Spike Growth or Wall spell up, perhaps (especially if they have 3 levels in Thief Rogue) along with dropping caltrops and ball bearings and bear traps all over the place.

Even better if your Nuclear Wizard constantly fight casters with Shield, you may never have to roll anything again!

adolann
2020-01-13, 11:57 AM
Be a Mastermind Rogue. Use the Help action (at range) to give two of your buddies advantage every turn (since you can Help as a Bonus Action as well as an Action). Focus on social skills, and be a party face; your expertise will help mitigate bad rolls, and at level 11 you get Reliable Talent and can't roll lower than a 10 for skill checks. Be a Halfling and take the Lucky feat to help out when you do have to roll. Also, if you have to attack, always try to attack from stealth so you have advantage.

You will be surprisingly effective without having to make a lot of rolls and without having to cast a single spell.

carrdrivesyou
2020-01-13, 12:23 PM
Take 8 levels of Mastermind Rogue, then the rest into your choice of Bard.

You'll get some sick skills, bonus action help, ability to size folks up for tactical info, bardic inspiration, and enough buffs, INT, and CHA to make anyone nervous. You'd never actually have to fight. Just talk your way through literally anything. If that fails somehow, your allies will be so ridiculously buffed and rolling with so much advantage, they will make quick work of anyone who opposes you.

Eldariel
2020-01-13, 02:01 PM
Even better if your Nuclear Wizard constantly fight casters with Shield, you may never have to roll anything again!

You can just walk/Steed up to 60' from them and Counterspell it if they try it.

Expected
2020-01-13, 02:20 PM

You can just walk/Steed up to 60' from them and Counterspell it if they try it.

They wouldn't even be able to Counterspell it unless they are within 60 feet of you, which allows to cast it as well. And because you Counterspelled their Counterspell they had to use a reaction to cast, they can no longer stop your Magic Missile. The only hard counter to Nuclear Wizard is the Brooch of Shielding and multiple casters with Counterspell within 60 feet of you.

Smoothjedi
2020-01-13, 11:30 PM
They wouldn't even be able to Counterspell it unless they are within 60 feet of you, which allows to cast it as well. And because you Counterspelled their Counterspell they had to use a reaction to cast, they can no longer stop your Magic Missile. The only hard counter to Nuclear Wizard is the Brooch of Shielding and multiple casters with Counterspell within 60 feet of you.

Subtle Shield is also a potent counter.

MaxWilson
2020-01-14, 12:04 AM

Or heavy obscurement, invisibility, being more than 120' away, or Globe of Invulnerability. (And being more than 30' away cuts the damage almost in half because no Hexblade's Curse.)

Being outnumbered by spellcasting monsters stinks, Counterspell or no. Who wants to eat three upcast Hold Person IV spells in one round while fighting off three Counterspells? Not I.

col_impact
2020-01-15, 03:43 PM
Or heavy obscurement, invisibility, being more than 120' away, or Globe of Invulnerability. (And being more than 30' away cuts the damage almost in half because no Hexblade's Curse.)

Being outnumbered by spellcasting monsters stinks, Counterspell or no. Who wants to eat three upcast Hold Person IV spells in one round while fighting off three Counterspells? Not I.

Yea, Sea Hag Covens are pretty damn tough.