PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Dwarf Strength Ranger for AL Role Play plus ?

ZorroGames
2020-01-13, 11:38 AM
Looking at a character I have not played yet in 5e, the Mountain Dwarf strength based Ranger but always considered. Must start AL legal but where it goes after a while... who knows.

Seriously considering MC with Rogue primarily or maybe Monk. Thinking this might play well together so the role play still leave some roll play ability for combat.

Right now this is my model starting stats for this PC:

S 7 = 14 + 2 from MD= 16
D 7 = 14 (medium armor from both MD and Ranger) plus shield = AC 16.
Co 4 + 2 from MD = 14
I 0 = 8 (no lending library in the wilderness above or below ground)
W 9= 15 with Resilient Wisdom at level 4 = 16
Ch 0 = 8

Thinking skilled in Athletics, Perception and for added Role Play, Survival.

Fighting style either Dueling, Defense, or possibly GWF.

Subclass possibilities for Ranger are Hunter, (if they ever revise Beast Master... oh well,) Gloom Stalker, or Monster Slayer.

If I MC into Rogue (instead of Monk or some other possibilities) after Ranger 5 the Rogue subclasses I am looking at are Scout, Swashbuckler, or maybe even Inquisitive or Assassin. Role Play > Roll Play remember.

Weaponry would be longbow (piercing) of course and then thinking of spreading the damage type while wielding a shield around with one handed quarterstaff (bludgeoning) and Hand Axe (slashing plus thrown) - picking up a Rapier when I can afford it followed by a Battle Axe (dwarf thing) then, if I went GWF, a maul.

Sticking with medium armor meaning maximum of Breastplate plus shield unless I squeeze in MAM (where is the question) and go Half Plate. Not too likely that last thing.

Main line Feats under consideration are Squat Nimbleness (Dwarf thing,) Alert (Ranger thing,) Tough, Magic Initiate (Druid,) Mobile, Skulker - maybe, Warcaster maybe, or in a world without limits - HA! - Keen Mind and Observant. Um, right... Alert through Mobile really are most viable for a strength MD Ranger IMO.

Okay coming down from Fantasy land on the last paragraph, Obviously, Strength and/or Constitution needs boosting to 18/16 at some point ideally I suppose and for spells Wisdom need more power later in the game unless I go strictly buffing or use Shillelagh From Druid (Magic Initiate.) Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I am open to thoughts on this character except changing MD or Ranger especially on the Feats/ASI aspect.

Now I just need a campaign locally other than (currently 8th and 12th) the two closest.

GlenSmash!
2020-01-13, 11:49 AM
Rangers don't have access to GWF Style, so stick with Dueling if going one handed, and defense if gong 2 handed. Hunter, Gloom Stalker and Monster Slayer are all solid options. Monster Slayer gets a bonus in that Slayer’s Prey can't lose concentration like Hunter's Mark can. However Gloom Stalker is a good one to take to 7 as it gets Wisdom saving throw proficiency which would free up that level 4 ASI.

A really cool way to play a Dwarven Ranger would be to get a Dwarven Thrower. Since most (maybe all) Ranger combat abilities work equally well at Range or in Melee.

ZorroGames
2020-01-13, 12:09 PM
Rangers don't have access to GWF Style, so stick with Dueling if going one handed, and defense if gong 2 handed. Hunter, Gloom Stalker and Monster Slayer are all solid options. Monster Slayer gets a bonus in that Slayer’s Prey can't lose concentration like Hunter's Mark can. However Gloom Stalker is a good one to take to 7 as it gets Wisdom saving throw proficiency which would free up that level 4 ASI.

A really cool way to play a Dwarven Ranger would be to get a Dwarven Thrower. Since most (maybe all) Ranger combat abilities work equally well at Range or in Melee.

Duh, thank you. I blame only one cup of coffee while posting. Nah, just screwed up Flipping pages between PHB, Xanathar, and SCAG books.

Yeah, good point about Ranger 7, again thanks. Been stuck designing a Wizard for that non-AL 8th level DMM campaign and changing focus messed with my Ranger thinking.

Sherlockpwns
2020-01-13, 08:23 PM
Ranger, as you're surely aware, is incredibly front loaded, especially without ua.

So it's basically a 5 level splash.

I'm stuck wondering why you'd want to tack monk or rogue onto it though. Both benefit extremely from dex, which this isn't.

So what does str get you, is the question. First, plate armor potentially. Second, athletics. Third, weapon versatility.

You already hit 2 (or 3 with Hunter?) Attacks, so I think of classes that blend with the above, which brings me to propose either a cleric multi, ideally one with heavy armor and a level 8 melee buff.

I could also see paladin working well for smites and eventually saves, even though the extra attack is redundant.

I do see some value in rogue 1 if you want to grapple, or even rogue 2 for the bonus action.

Not sure if this was any help!

da newt
2020-01-13, 10:05 PM
It's tough to offer advice without knowing more, but some random thoughts follow:

Do you plan to stealth much (not listed as a skill, makes 1/2 plate viable)?

What Spells are you interested in? Why ranger? Why do you want to go strength based? Is there something that you can't do more efficiently w/ max DEX. What is your planned combat strategy?

If you go scale mail (or breastplate for stealth) and shield and defensive FS you are at 19 AC.

Have you looked at PAM w/ shield, staff & Shillelagh?

You get 2 short swords to start (10 gp each) and a rapier only costs 25 gp, so it should be very easy to upgrade.

ZorroGames
2020-01-13, 11:01 PM
Ranger, as you're surely aware, is incredibly front loaded, especially without ua.

So it's basically a 5 level splash.

I'm stuck wondering why you'd want to tack monk or rogue onto it though. Both benefit extremely from dex, which this isn't.

So what does str get you, is the question. First, plate armor potentially. Second, athletics. Third, weapon versatility.

You already hit 2 (or 3 with Hunter?) Attacks, so I think of classes that blend with the above, which brings me to propose either a cleric multi, ideally one with heavy armor and a level 8 melee buff.

I could also see paladin working well for smites and eventually saves, even though the extra attack is redundant.

I do see some value in rogue 1 if you want to grapple, or even rogue 2 for the bonus action.

Not sure if this was any help!

No it is not a five level splash, that is min-max thinking.

Not Looking at heavy armor. This makes Paladin and heavy armor cleric not in the running. More role play than roll play for this character. Playing since 1973 and sometimes it is just flavor fun for me.

ZorroGames
2020-01-13, 11:09 PM
It's tough to offer advice without knowing more, but some random thoughts follow:

Do you plan to stealth much (not listed as a skill, makes 1/2 plate viable)?

What Spells are you interested in? Why ranger? Why do you want to go strength based? Is there something that you can't do more efficiently w/ max DEX. What is your planned combat strategy?

If you go scale mail (or breastplate for stealth) and shield and defensive FS you are at 19 AC.

Have you looked at PAM w/ shield, staff & Shillelagh?

You get 2 short swords to start (10 gp each) and a rapier only costs 25 gp, so it should be very easy to upgrade.

Stealth would be a tertiary aspect of this character. This is, as stated, a MD type strength Ranger just because that is what I want to play. I have a Dex MD fighter with HvCB that scratches my ranged combat itch in AL when I need some Fantasy Cowboy “The Rifleman” TV style play.

Consciously not choosing two short swords because as I stated above, spreading around the damage type for melee. Role playing that aspect. “I chose the wedge instead of the 9 Iron in this lay.”

Thanks anyway.

diplomancer
2020-01-14, 12:00 AM
Most good ranger spells don't depend that much on wis, so rangers don't need wis that much (though the UA changes that). So, if playing vanilla ranger, probably best to start with con 16 and wis 13.

Remember also that for monk to be a good multiclass, you have to forego wearing armor, and you simply don't have the ASIs to increase str, dex and wis. Rogue would work well, as might a barbarian, despite the wasted extra attack.

Consider going to Ranger 9 for conjure animals. This spell is just very good, unless your DM is out to screw you.

CTurbo
2020-01-14, 01:42 AM
I would go MD Hunter Ranger 16 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 13 Wis

There are 2 ways I would take this.

1. Greataxe with GWM feat, Defense style, and Horde Breaker. Max Str and grab Res(Wis) at some point.

2. Dual wield Battleaxes with Duel Wielder feat, TWF style, and Colossus Slayer. Max Str and grab Res(Wis) at some point.

I really like a Cleric dip with this. May be worth going with your proposed 14 Con, 16 Wis option instead if you like a Cleric dip. 1-5 Cleric levels would be great. I love the idea of Spirit Guardians on a Str Ranger.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-01-14, 04:20 AM
Make a variation of the Stranger Danger.

Strength based ranger that grabs an enemy and runs away with them. Ranger works well as you get HP and spells like Longstrider.

Attack Action: Grapple + Attack.

If you go Rogue MC, expertise athletics is a must. Honestly, MC Rogue (Scout) or (Inquisitive).

Mobile is an excellent feat choice for this build.

Use a one handed weapon that you can throw. I like the Handaxe for this, for fluff reasons... Though keep a martial weapon on you. If you do take rogue, a dagger is your vest bet. Attack the grappled enemy, drag said enemy away, and attack another enemy to get their attention.

Grappler is a feat you can take or not take, up to you. Any other feat combo is up to you.

Your race, ability scores, and feat choices stay the way you like them. You also get to be a hunter who captures their prey and you focus more on control than direct damage (so, your allies will like you). Side note, Eagle or Wolf Totem Barbarian would be great for this Stranger Danger.

opaopajr
2020-01-14, 04:52 AM
Not gonna do an AL of this idea, so feel free to try it out:

I would dig a Swamp-terrain Mt. Dwarf Ranger Criminal. :smallcool: Then I would take the skills Animal Handling, Athletics, Survival -- to go along with background Stealth, Deception, and Thieves' Tools. Take TWF, grab Shortsword & Handaxe... (if Feats, at 4th lvl ASI go Dual Wielder and then swap out with a Whip, or if mounted on a battle crocodile, a Lance!).

Use Downtime to pick up Herbalism and or Poisoner Kits.

Learn Animal Friendship, and along with Animal Handling, try to befriend the toxic ambush critters of the swamps as yiur buddies! Leave copperheads or cottonmouth snakes as security measures, or dangerous surprises. Granted you'll never get the fun of it going off in AL, but it's so edgelord kewl! :smalltongue:

I dig a criminal dwarf hanging around swamps put poisons and poisonous creatures around. Maybe its job is to trap old tombs from tomb raider defilement, killing raiders & smugglers and reselling their stuff. :smallwink:

ZorroGames
2020-01-14, 07:35 AM
Not gonna do an AL of this idea, so feel free to try it out:

I would dig a Swamp-terrain Mt. Dwarf Ranger Criminal. :smallcool: Then I would take the skills Animal Handling, Athletics, Survival -- to go along with background Stealth, Deception, and Thieves' Tools. Take TWF, grab Shortsword & Handaxe... (if Feats, at 4th lvl ASI go Dual Wielder and then swap out with a Whip, or if mounted on a battle crocodile, a Lance!).

Use Downtime to pick up Herbalism and or Poisoner Kits.

Learn Animal Friendship, and along with Animal Handling, try to befriend the toxic ambush critters of the swamps as yiur buddies! Leave copperheads or cottonmouth snakes as security measures, or dangerous surprises. Granted you'll never get the fun of it going off in AL, but it's so edgelord kewl! :smalltongue:

I dig a criminal dwarf hanging around swamps put poisons and poisonous creatures around. Maybe its job is to trap old tombs from tomb raider defilement, killing raiders & smugglers and reselling their stuff. :smallwink:

LOL, this is a role play trip of the first water! I like it but it will have to be put in my mental folder labeled “Awesome non-AL role play designs.”

ZorroGames
2020-01-14, 07:37 AM
Make a variation of the Stranger Danger.

Strength based ranger that grabs an enemy and runs away with them. Ranger works well as you get HP and spells like Longstrider.

Attack Action: Grapple + Attack.

If you go Rogue MC, expertise athletics is a must. Honestly, MC Rogue (Scout) or (Inquisitive).

Mobile is an excellent feat choice for this build.

Use a one handed weapon that you can throw. I like the Handaxe for this, for fluff reasons... Though keep a martial weapon on you. If you do take rogue, a dagger is your vest bet. Attack the grappled enemy, drag said enemy away, and attack another enemy to get their attention.

Grappler is a feat you can take or not take, up to you. Any other feat combo is up to you.

Your race, ability scores, and feat choices stay the way you like them. You also get to be a hunter who captures their prey and you focus more on control than direct damage (so, your allies will like you). Side note, Eagle or Wolf Totem Barbarian would be great for this Stranger Danger.

This also is an excellent idea and some great combinations, thanks!