PDA

View Full Version : What are some TV/Movie Characters to base players or characters on?

blackjack50
2020-01-13, 12:00 PM
I’m mostly looking for ones that are a little off the wall or silly or just unexpected. Not necessarily “Batman” or “captain America.” An example of a character I currently have for players is Lawyer. He is based one Leo Getz from Lethal weapon. And of course I do the Pesci accent too. I also have Ruby Rod from Fifth Element as an informant in a night club.

So share your favorites :)

nickl_2000
2020-01-13, 12:11 PM
I've been toying with the Mandalorian as an inspiration for a character. The nice thing is that it is something you could actually do and get most features from the character on TV.

In my current campaign, one player is playing a character based on Nile Crane from Frasier.

blackjack50
2020-01-13, 12:35 PM
I've been toying with the Mandalorian as an inspiration for a character. The nice thing is that it is something you could actually do and get most features from the character on TV.

In my current campaign, one player is playing a character based on Nile Crane from Frasier.

Lmao! I can’t even imagine how Nile plays out. I’ve seen the Big Lewboski and Kramer in some characters. A friend that ran a game had a Spicolli character that we had to interview. Ugh it was annoying.

Trask
2020-01-13, 01:07 PM
I played a character based on Indiana Jones for Tomb of Annihilation. He was Lemon Jackson, Scholar of Archeology and Magical Artifacts in Waterdeep and Adventurer Extraordinaire. I made a Rogue/Fighter build. It was really fun.

Nidgit
2020-01-13, 01:15 PM
Fezzik from The Princess Bride makes for a pretty clear grappling Barbarian with a sweet heart. Prince Humperdinck could also make for an interesting take on a LE Ranger, potentially with a dash of Fighter or something else.

blackjack50
2020-01-13, 01:42 PM
Fezzik from The Princess Bride makes for a pretty clear grappling Barbarian with a sweet heart. Prince Humperdinck could also make for an interesting take on a LE Ranger, potentially with a dash of Fighter or something else.

Fezzick! Could really pull from that movie for several. Miracle Max as a cleric.

carrdrivesyou
2020-01-13, 01:43 PM
I like the abridged versions of characters from different series on YouTube. These include: Fate Stay Night by ProjectMouthwash, Hellsing Abridged by TeamFourStar, and DBZ Abridged by TeamFourStar.

Any of these would make wonderful additions to a campaign.

clash
2020-01-13, 02:18 PM
My wife played a character based on Buffy for Curse of strahd campaign. It was pretty awesome. She played a monster slayer ranger with undead as her favoured enemy.

Zhorn
2020-01-13, 07:52 PM
I'm always fond of players basing their character's on an intended path rather than coming in fully realised.
This is mostly from an experience with the opposite end where 1st level players are saying they are basing their character on some powerful figure and making all their actions and roleplay as if they were 20th level from the beginning.

When discussing creation and backstory building with new players, I often bring up Inigo Montoya (Princess Bride), and explain before he was that awesome, he had to have a whole lot of adventures first to build up those skills, and his story pay off was very late in his adventuring career.

My pick for an upcoming character:
Tabaxi Monk based off Sun Wukong (Journey to the West), in the early days when he was first on a quest for immortality

Aett_Thorn
2020-01-13, 07:56 PM
Jason Mendoza from The Good Place. All of your problems are solved by Molotov Cocktails, including any issues that may have arisen from the previous Cocktail.

stoutstien
2020-01-13, 08:03 PM
Gordon Randy as a angry gnome bard.

Doug marcaida as a halfling battle master. He gives you fighting advice as he keal you.

The Tick as a Paladin. Dump int and Wis hard. SPOON!

Captain Hook from Hook the movie as a swashbuckler

Skeletor warforged wizard. I am not very nice!!!

DMJosh
2020-01-13, 08:26 PM
Comedians and the characters they portray are my favorites. I usually DM, but the next character I play will definitely be a paladin based on Ron Swanson.

False God
2020-01-13, 08:31 PM
I tend to make my paladins based off characters like The Crimson Chin (Fairly Oddparents) or The Tick. You gotta be on the ball with those over-the-top corny quips and monologues about justice and freedom and sandwiches though. It's a riot if you can keep up with it.

DarknessEternal
2020-01-13, 10:57 PM
None. That's the laziest and most boring thing you can do with an RPG.

ZorroGames
2020-01-13, 11:13 PM
Old TV show The Rifleman. MD Dex fighter with HvCB for ranged attacks.

Kane0
2020-01-14, 02:09 AM
Nicolai Malthus would probably be my next character

Bohandas
2020-01-14, 02:58 AM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force, with Meatwad as a mimic, Frylock as a human warlock, and Master Shake as an intelligent everfull mug.

I've actually already got them statted up for 3.5e

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24054953&postcount=294

A team of out-of-work adventurers of disreputable character, Warlock, Mimic, and Gorn Lord can be found almost anywhere, commiting middling crimes or abusively half-assing some odd job or another; whether selling magic items of dubious quality, ransacking and looting, creating magic items no-questions-asked, blackmailing more villainous ne'erdowells, abandoning the person who's hired them as bodyguards, framing a random patsy when they tire of an investigation, or simply working at a local tavern and stealing from the till.

"Warlock"
HP 46 (13d6); Fiendish resiliance; DR 3/cold iron
Male Human Expert 1/Warlock 12
LE(LN) Meduim Humanoid (Human)
Init +0; Senses: Detect Magic; Listen +1, Spot +7
Languages: Comprehend Languages (written only); Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Infernal, Gnome
Resist: Fire 5, ????? 5
Fort +4 (0+4+0) Ref +4 (0+4+0) Wis +11 (2+8+1)
Speed: 30 feet, Fly 30 feet (good)
Ranged: Eldritch Hammer blast +9 (6d6)
Ranged: Brimstone blast +9 (6d6 fire plus ignition)
Base atk: +9
SA: Eldritch Blast, Invocations
SQ: Damage Reduction 3/cold iron, Detect Magic, Fiendish Resiliance, Imbue Item
Invocations:
Least- All-seeing Eyes, Beguiling Influence, Hammer Blast, Otherworldly Whispers
Lesser- Brimstone blast(?), Fell Flight
Greater- Dark Hand (See below)
Abilities: Str 11 Dex 11 Con 11 Int 18 Wis 12 Cha 10
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Investigator, Jack of All Trades (CAdv), Magical Aptitude, Master of Knowledge (HoH)
Skills: Bluff +6 (6inv), Concentrate +2 (2sk), Craft (Alchemy) +20 (16skill+4int), Craft (blacksmithing) +17 (13sk+4int), Craft (Weaponsmithing) +16 (12sk+4int), Diplomacy +8 (6inv+2syn), Gather Information +2 (2feat), Heal +5 (4sk+1wis), Intimidate +7 (1sk+6inv), Knowledge (Arcana) +27 (16skill+4int+1feat+6inv), Knowledge (architecture) +5 (4int+1feat), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +10 (5sk+4int+1feat), Knowledge (gepgraphy) +5 (4int+1feat), Knowledge (history) +5 (4int+1feat), Knowledge (local) +5 (4int+1feat), Knowledge (nature) +5 (4int+1feat), Knowledge (nobility) +5 (4int+1feat), Knowledge (religion) +27 (16sk+4int+1feat+6inv), Knowledge (The Planes) +17 (6sk+4int+1feat+6inv), Search +16 (4sk+4int+2feat+6inv), Sense Motive +17 (+16sk+1wis), Spellcraft +24 (+16sk+4int+2feat+2syn) +26 with scrolls (+16sk+4int+2feat+4syn), spot +7 (1wis+6inv), Survival +1 (1wis) +3 on other planes or underground (1wis+2syn), Use Magic Device +18 (16sk+2feat) +20 with scrolls (16sk+2feat+2syn)

Eldritch Blast (Sp): The first ability a warlock learns is eldritch blast. A warlock attacks his foes with eldritch power, using baleful magical energy to deal damage and sometimes impart other debilitating effects.
An eldritch blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. An eldritch blast deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level and increases in power as the warlock rises in level. An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the warlock’s class level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when a warlock reaches 18th level or higher
An eldritch blast is subject to spell resistance, although the Spell Penetration feat and other effects that improve caster level checks to overcome spell resistance also apply to eldritch blast. An eldritch blast deals half damage to objects. Metamagic feats cannot improve a warlock’s eldritch blast (because it is a spell-like ability, not a spell). However, the feat Ability Focus (eldritch blast) increases the DC for all saving throws (if any) associated with a warlock’s eldritch blast by 2. See page 303 of the Monster Manual.

Detect Magic (Sp): A warlock can use detect magic as the spell at will. His caster level equals his class level (12)
Damage Reduction (Su): Fortifed by the supernatural power fowing in his body, a warlock becomes resistant to physical attacks, gaining damage reduction 3/cold iron.

Deceive Item (Ex): A warlock has the ability to more easily commandeer magic items made for the use of other characters. When making a Use Magic Device check, a warlock can take 10 even if distracted or threatened.

Fiendish Resilience (Su): A warlock knows the trick of fendish resilience. Once per day, as a free action, he can enter a state that lasts for 2 minutes. While in this state, the warlock gains fast healing 1.

Imbue Item (Su): A warlock can use his supernatural power to create magic items, even if he does not know the spells required to make an item (although he must know the appropriate item creation feat). He can substitute a Use Magic Device check (DC 15 + spell level for arcane spells or 25 + spell level for divine spells) in place of a required spell he doesn’t know or can’t cast.
If the check succeeds, the warlock can create the item as if he had cast the required spell. If it fails, he cannot complete the item. He does not expend the XP or gp costs for making the item; his progress is simply arrested. He cannot retry this Use Magic Device check for that spell until he gains a new level.

Dark Hand
Greater Invocation
The warlock may use Telekinesis as the spell. Additionally they may make a free attempt to telekinetically grapple any creature they hit with eldritch blast

The other two members of the group refer to the warlock simply as "Warlock". It is unknown if he really has no name or the others are simply too stupid to remember it. A scholar of all fields of study, Warlock is the brains of the group and its de facto leader. He also is usually the conscience of the group, (except for when he is plotting the murder of a romantic rival or building an unsavory magic item for an unsavory client); he tries to steer the group towards adventuring and/or employment rather than outright stealing, extortion, and fraud.

---
"Mimic"; Mimic Warshaper 1; Large Aberration (Shapechanger)HD 7d8+1d8+56; HP 92; Init +1; Speed 10ft; AC 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15; Atk +9 melee (1d8+4, 2 slams); SA adhesive, crush, morphic weapons; SQ Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to acid, mimic shape, morphic immunities; AL CN; SV Fort +11 (+2HD+7con+2class), Ref +5(+2hd+1dex+2feat), Will +3 (+5HD-2wis); Str 19 Dex 12 Con 24 Int 8 Wis 6 Cha 10
Skills and Feats: Climb +6 (2sk+4str), Disguise +10 (2sk+0cha+8rac), Escape Artist +2 (1sk+1dex), Listen +3 (3sk-2wis+2feat), Spot +3 (3sk-2wis+2feat); Alertness, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (slam)

Special Attacks:
Adhesive (Ex): A mimic exudes a thick slime that acts as a powerful adhesive, holding fast any creatures or items that touch it. An adhesive-covered mimic automatically grapples any creature it hits with its slam attack. Opponents so grappled cannot get free while the mimic is alive without removing the adhesive first.
A weapon that strikes an adhesive-coated mimic is stuck fast unless the wielder succeeds on a DC 16 Reflex save. A successful DC 16 Strength check is needed to pry it off.
Strong alcohol dissolves the adhesive, but the mimic still can grapple normally. A mimic can dissolve its adhesive at will, and the substance breaks down 5 rounds after the creature dies.

Crush (Ex): A mimic deals 1d8+4 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Morphic Weapons (Su): As a move action, a warshaper can grow natural weapons such as claws or fangs, allowing a natural attack that deals the appropriate amount of damage according to the size of the new form. These morphic weapons need not be natural weapons that the creature already posesses, for example, a warshaper polymorphed into an ettin (Large giant) could grow a claw that deals 1d6 points of damage, or horns for a gore attack that deals 1d8 points of damage.

If the warshaper’s form already has a natural weapon of that type, the weapon deals damage as if it were one category larger. For example, a warshaper who used wild shape to become a dire wolf (Large animal) could grow its jaw and snout, enabling a bite attack that deals 2d6 points of damage (as a for Huge animal), not the normal 1d8. A warshaper can change morphic weapons as often as it likes, even if it is using a shapechanging technique such as the polymorph spell or the wild shape class feature that doesn’t allow subsequent changes after the initial transformation.

Special Qualities:
Mimic Shape (Ex): A mimic can assume the general shape of any object that fills roughly 150 cubic feet (5 feet by 5 feet by 6 feet), such as a massive chest, a stout bed, or a wide door frame. The creature cannot substantially alter its size, though. A mimic’s body is hard and has a rough texture, no matter what appearance it might present. Anyone who examines the mimic can detect the ruse with a successful Spot check opposed by the mimic’s Disguise check. Of course, by this time it is generally far too late.

Morphic Immunities (Ex): A warshaper is adept at distributing her form’s vital organs around her body to keep them safe from harm. Warshapers are immune to stunning and critical hits.

"Mimic" is an unusually dumb mimic prone to taking on non-apropos disguises or accidentally disguising himself as the wrong thing. The Gorn Lord is fond of tricking him into turning into offensive shapes that enrage onlookers and even more fond of tricking him into doing the dirty work for its half-baked schemes. When out adventuring he has the useful quality of being able to get the others into hard to reach places

---
"Gorn Lord" (3.5e) (An intelligent mug based on Master Shake)

Gorn Lord; CE Intelligent Everfull Mug (Magic Item Compendium pg.160; A mug that can fill itself with cheap booze 3/day; base price 200gp); Int 9, Wis 6, Cha 6; Speaks Common; Sight 120 ft and hearing; 10 ranks in Bluff, 10 ranks in Profession(Cook);

Moderate Conjuration; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item, Create Water;11700 gp

Gorn Lord is white stoneware tankard with a carved face and an elaborately wrought golden lid3. The tankard has a reprehensible personality, and left to its own devices it will swindle people, verbally abuse people, make inappropriate advances towards women, and attempt to trick people into injuring themselves. Its only useful trait, other than its ability to generate cheap alcohol, is its inexplicably extensive knowledge of cooking.

Randomthom
2020-01-14, 04:24 AM
I've never gone for a direct renamed "clone" but often based a personality on another character from fiction.

Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy (artificer gnome perhaps?).

Jaskier/Dandelion from Witcher (just pick an ally and write songs about their exploits, annoy the hell out of them & your other allies by basically ignoring/downplaying their contributions).

Lord Flashheart from Blackadder (I've done this with a Bladesinger Wizard, lots of fun to play someone so wildly arrogant).

JellyPooga
2020-01-14, 04:26 AM
None. That's the laziest and most boring thing you can do with an RPG.

Wrong answer.

TV and film are just as valid as any media for character inspiration and "based on" =/= "exactly the same as". Farrison Hoard, the Halfling Bard might wield a whip, have a fear of Yuan-ti and really really hates Devils, because they're always getting in the way of him collecting artefacts for his college museum, but it doesn't necessarily make him a carbon copy of Indiana Jones. Inspired by? Yes. Shares traits with? Yes. Same character? No.

Is it boring? Only if you make the character boring. Is it unoriginal? Maybe a little, but originality can be overrated and doesn't make something better just for being original. Is it lazy? It can be, but it could also just be because you're struggling for a concept, or don't have the time to really build a new creation from the ground up. Creating a character can be a lot of work, so taking some inspiration from pop media is totally valid as a short-cut.

ZorroGames
2020-01-14, 08:11 AM
Wrong answer.

TV and film are just as valid as any media for character inspiration and "based on" =/= "exactly the same as". Farrison Hoard, the Halfling Bard might wield a whip, have a fear of Yuan-ti and really really hates Devils, because they're always getting in the way of him collecting artefacts for his college museum, but it doesn't necessarily make him a carbon copy of Indiana Jones. Inspired by? Yes. Shares traits with? Yes. Same character? No.

Is it boring? Only if you make the character boring. Is it unoriginal? Maybe a little, but originality can be overrated and doesn't make something better just for being original. Is it lazy? It can be, but it could also just be because you're struggling for a concept, or don't have the time to really build a new creation from the ground up. Creating a character can be a lot of work, so taking some inspiration from pop media is totally valid as a short-cut.

Roger that! Rarely use it consciously but TBH most characters I have seen in play since 1973 are inspired by one trope or another unconsciously.

Wraith
2020-01-15, 07:28 AM
One of the best one-shot games I ever took part in, I played as William "Ned" Tunney - Clint Eastwood's character from the movie "Unforgiven".

Playing a grouchy old cowboy with a bad back and who kept misplacing his spectacles was fun in and of itself, but there was also a lot of nuance to play with, too; Ned is widowed, has two kids back home he has to look out for, and was a notorious outlaw in his youth that eventually retired to start a farm. A lot of moral conflict comes up when you know that you're a pig farmer just trying to make a bit of extra money, but at the same time, you have to keep denying to yourself that you really, really enjoyed raising some hell and that it feels good to be back in the saddle....

NRSASD
2020-01-15, 10:05 AM
My wife played a gender flipped, elven Doctor McCoy from Star Trek in our Curse of Strahd campaign. It was actually fantastic.

Dr. Inda Os'Pital (say her whole name fast, as one word) looked like a beautiful, stereotypical Arwen-like elven woman, but drank like a fish and swore like a sailor. Her bedside manner could be best described as "Stop your yowling and hold still!" or "Stop bleeding on my boots". It was an absolute delight to play alongside. Strahd was deeply confused initially.

GoodmanDL
2020-01-15, 10:27 AM
Jason Mendoza from The Good Place. All of your problems are solved by Molotov Cocktails, including any issues that may have arisen from the previous Cocktail.

The Path of BORTLES!

KyleG
2020-01-16, 04:17 AM
My wife played a gender flipped, elven Doctor McCoy from Star Trek in our Curse of Strahd campaign. It was actually fantastic.

Dr. Inda Os'Pital (say her whole name fast, as one word) looked like a beautiful, stereotypical Arwen-like elven woman, but drank like a fish and swore like a sailor. Her bedside manner could be best described as "Stop your yowling and hold still!" or "Stop bleeding on my boots". It was an absolute delight to play alongside. Strahd was deeply confused initially.

OMG id love to know her class, stats etc. Sounds epic.

xroads
2020-01-16, 10:42 AM
I'm seriously considering playing a bard of glamour tortle. Inspired by the giant crab Tamatoa from the movie Maui.

In part because I really want to paint up a miniature tortle with glitter & gold accessories. :smallbiggrin:

Tabaxi Monk based off Sun Wukong (Journey to the West), in the early days when he was first on a quest for immortality

Cool idea. Did you refluff the tabaxi to be a monkey? And what path did you choose?

One of the best one-shot games I ever took part in, I played as William "Ned" Tunney - Clint Eastwood's character from the movie "Unforgiven".

Playing a grouchy old cowboy with a bad back and who kept misplacing his spectacles was fun in and of itself, but there was also a lot of nuance to play with, too; Ned is widowed, has two kids back home he has to look out for, and was a notorious outlaw in his youth that eventually retired to start a farm. A lot of moral conflict comes up when you know that you're a pig farmer just trying to make a bit of extra money, but at the same time, you have to keep denying to yourself that you really, really enjoyed raising some hell and that it feels good to be back in the saddle....

Nice. I may have to check this movie out now.

Zhorn
2020-01-16, 03:09 PM
Cool idea. Did you refluff the tabaxi to be a monkey? And what path did you choose?
leaving it as a tabaxi, just basing the personality and personal motivation for questing on "What would Sun Wukong do?"
Build would be primarily Sun Soul for the feel of starting as a general martial artist, but escalate into dragonball-esque nonsense as he levels up, small dips into Light Cleric and Hexblade Warlock (1-2 levels each) for utility and thematic flavour (not optimisation).

nickl_2000
2020-01-21, 10:36 AM
Actually the Arcane Trickster I have in development is going to take his personality and some of his goal from Gavroche (from Les Mis)

NecessaryWeevil
2020-01-21, 08:12 PM
Actually the Arcane Trickster I have in development is going to take his personality and some of his goal from Gavroche (from Les Mis)

Nice! I've tried to play several characters inspired by Inspector Javert over the years.

werescythe
2020-01-21, 08:44 PM
I have been considering making a character based off of Meme Oshino (https://bakemonogatari.fandom.com/wiki/Meme_Oshino) from the Monogatari anime series. Basically a supernatural investigator sort of character.