PDA

View Full Version : Quick Advice: Paladin

Master O'Laughs
2020-01-13, 01:50 PM
Just hit lvl 12 and trying to determine what feat or ASI to take. Party of 6 and the other classes are Barbarian, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Fighter (Gunslinger).

My stats/feats:
S - 20
D -14
C - 18
I - 12
W - 16
C - 16

Sentinel

Ideas:
+2 Charisma
Resilient (Con)

I am open to other ideas.

Race is Warforged and I have a Cloak of Protection and Wand of Lightning Bolts. I use Sword and Board since I have an Artifact longsword I employ.

Thanks for any suggestions.

carrdrivesyou
2020-01-13, 01:56 PM
Just hit lvl 12 and trying to determine what feat or ASI to take. Party of 6 and the other classes are Barbarian, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Fighter (Gunslinger).

My stats/feats:
S - 20
D -14
C - 18
I - 12
W - 16
C - 16

Sentinel

Ideas:
+2 Charisma
Resilient (Con)

I am open to other ideas.

Race is Warforged and I have a Cloak of Protection and Wand of Lightning Bolts. I use Sword and Board since I have an Artifact longsword I employ.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sentinel is always a good one for any melee type; other suggestions would include magic initiate to fill the small wholes between the wizard and cleric, Alert, or even the Tough feat to tack on some HP. Just my thoughts.

Master O'Laughs
2020-01-13, 02:14 PM
Sentinel is always a good one for any melee type; other suggestions would include magic initiate to fill the small wholes between the wizard and cleric, Alert, or even the Tough feat to tack on some HP. Just my thoughts.

For magic initiate, what cantrips and what 1st level spell? I already have a non-magic item which allows the use of the shield spell once/short rest I forgot to mention.

Edit: I guess I ask because for cantrips it would be utility stuff since my "range attack" is lightning bolt if needed and not sure which 1st level spells would be worth the feat.

And yes Sentinel has been very useful so far. It recently helped us lock down a boss monster as he was trying to escape.

Expected
2020-01-13, 02:26 PM
If you have at least 6 levels in Paladin for Aura of Protection, I'd suggest using your next two ASI's for Charisma.

Dos246
2020-01-13, 02:35 PM
Shield Master feat is pretty handy, that or Cha +2 for the save bonus.

Nidgit
2020-01-13, 02:36 PM
You've got a robust front line, boosting Charisma for better Aura of Protection is probably your best bet.

What's your subclass, out of curiosity?

CheddarChampion
2020-01-13, 02:37 PM
What oath did you take?

Inspiring Leader is very good for preemptive party healing.
Mounted Combatant can be great if you often use Find Steed (and Find Greater Steed at level 13). Your attacks often get advantage, your steed becomes harder to kill...
Warcaster can be good on a Conquest Paladin. Concentration boost, of course, but also use your reaction to cast Command, Hold Person, etc. if they try to flee.

I'd personally recommend Mage Slayer but I know its usefulness depends on the setting and on how your DM runs with it. People are generally divided on how good it really is.

carrdrivesyou
2020-01-13, 02:39 PM
For magic initiate, what cantrips and what 1st level spell? I already have a non-magic item which allows the use of the shield spell once/short rest I forgot to mention.

Edit: I guess I ask because for cantrips it would be utility stuff since my "range attack" is lightning bolt if needed and not sure which 1st level spells would be worth the feat.

And yes Sentinel has been very useful so far. It recently helped us lock down a boss monster as he was trying to escape.

for cantrips, I would suggest Mold Earth and Druidcraft. Both are highly useful, and this gives you a few more out of combat options. As for your 1st level spell, I suggest goodberry. Its an awesome spell in terms of basically having ten "free sample" healing potions a day, plus it will keep your group from having to lug around a metric ton of salted pork and other food.

Master O'Laughs
2020-01-13, 02:39 PM
If you have at least 6 levels in Paladin for Aura of Protection, I'd suggest using your next two ASI's for Charisma.

Yeah, that is partially why my initial thoughts were either +2 Charisma or Resilient (Con). Resilient helps me a lot, Charisma helps everyone else. My 2 potential ideas for the rest of my ASIs is:

1st: Resilient (Con)
2nd: +1 Con (20 Con), +1 Cha
3rd: Actor (for +1 Cha and other benefits) (18 Cha)

or

2nd: +2 Cha
3rd: +2 Cha (20 Cha, 19 Con)

Master O'Laughs
2020-01-13, 02:46 PM
My Oath is a custom one my DM created. I actually started as a fighter but during a defining moment, I was reforged and adopted the paladin class instead.

Oath Basics are:
Spells - 1L = Compelled Duel, Herosim; 2L = Enhance Ability, Warding Bond; 3L = Beacon of Hope, Crusader's Mantle; 4L = Death Ward, freedom of Movement; 5L = Skill empowerment, steel wind strike

CDs:
1st is a reaction attack to taking damage from an enemy. The attack ignores any resistance or immunity the creature has and if I divine smite I regain hit points

2nd is a reaction where I teleport to an ally within 30 feet and take damage in their place. I cannot mitigate the damage

7th level Aura is -3 blugeoning, piercing, slashing damage and at 18 it is -3 to all damage.

Sigreid
2020-01-13, 03:30 PM
Agree with those pointing out that cha is now a force multiplier for the whole group.

djreynolds
2020-01-13, 03:43 PM

100% you have an 18 in con, +4. And +3 from charisma. +7.

I recommend +2 charisma, resilient con is very good also, but I mean +7 is doable up and eventually +8 and +9

Expected
2020-01-14, 02:28 AM
Yeah, that is partially why my initial thoughts were either +2 Charisma or Resilient (Con). Resilient helps me a lot, Charisma helps everyone else. My 2 potential ideas for the rest of my ASIs is:

2nd: +1 Con (20 Con), +1 Cha
3rd: Actor (for +1 Cha and other benefits) (18 Cha)

or

2nd: +2 Cha
3rd: +2 Cha (20 Cha, 19 Con)
Definitely the second but take Resilient:Con/War Caster 3rd. Resilient: Con won't benefit you as much as War Caster will--it's better when you start with an odd Con score. War Caster will provide advantage on concentration checks which synergizes with your Aura of Protection.

CTurbo
2020-01-14, 02:40 AM
Call me old fashioned, but I'd take +2 Cha if you're at level 12 and only have a 16 so far.

10 out of 10 times