PDA

View Full Version : Clone in 3.5 and PF, downsides and upsides and exploits (if any)

Segev
2020-01-13, 02:10 PM
Clone creates a duplicate body of a creature from a cubic inch of flesh (can't be hair, nails, or other natural cast-offs, so ow), which immediately rises as that creature if the creature died of non-natural causes and doesn't have its soul tied up somewhere. If the creature is still alive, or the soul is bound someplace, it's inert, but not dead until it starts to rot (which can be prevented with gentle repose and similar effects), and will rise as soon as the creature dies.

A major difference between 3.5 (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/clone.htm) and PF (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/clone/) is that 3.5's version inflicts only one lost level, while PF's version inflicts 2 permanent negative levels. I don't believe there's any means of recovering lost levels, save XP (or possibly a Thought Bottle), but aren't there spells and other effects which remove negative levels? I can't recall off the top of my head what they are, though, if any. In PF, is there a difference between "a (permanent) negative level" and "a lost level?"

Thought bottles are the most obvious exploit, as you can just store your current levle every time you level up in order to recover it if you have to be cloned.

Clone also has advantages over raise dead and resurrection in that it doesn't matter the condition of your original body, and it is like a Contingent Resurrection in that it just waits for you to need it, if you cast it ahead of time. If you didn't cast it ahead of time, of course, you're waiting 2d4 months...and you had better have taken precautions for it ahead of time anyway, because the 1 cubic inch of flesh (ow!) must be taken from the subject's living body.

Interestingly, no damage is listed for taking this sample, so mechanically, you can just say you take one and have no ill effects. I'm hard-pressed to think of an area of the body (maybe the buttocks?) where a cubic inch of flesh could be removed without some serious damage to muscles or even organs, and in any event, it'd hurt and keep hurting until healed. Would a cure spell even work, or are we looking at regeneration to restore that much flesh?

I don't know if clone shares the quality of raise dead, resurrection, true resurrection, and even reincarnation which specifies that the subject knows the alignment of the person calling him back and can use that to decide if he's willing. It does say the spirit must be willing, though; does the spirit know who created the clone? Or if that person still has the clone?

A spirit that starts unwilling might at any time choose to become willing, if the clone body remains a viable choice, too, so there could be delay for some reason. Not sure if that's exploitable or not.

Particularly weirdly, either the piece of flesh is part of the 1,000 gp cost of lab supplies (making one wonder just how much a cubic inch of flesh costs), or it's not a valued (in gp) material component and thus can be argued to be freely in a spell component pouch (haha, as if a DM would let you get away with that) or potentially a valid target for Eschew Materials. That latter is something you may actually have a chance of convincing a DM to allow: it's a metamagic feat that allows the exclusion of material components, after all. Counterarguments would be not entirely RAW-based, but sensible, in terms of asking how you tell the spell what creature to clone if you don't have the sample. It's not like you have the original around to do it with. Additionally, for 3 points of Str, blood money (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money) should be able to provide all the material components for clone, which works out okay if you're cloning yourself, but what, again, about anybody else?

(Again, interestingly, blood money gives an actual damage measure for its cost, while a cube of flesh taken from the subject...doesn't.)

Last thoughts, very few metamagics actually work well with clone. Rapid Spell will reduce its casting time to 1 minute, but as an instantaneous spell that deals no damage and has an effect without an area rather than a target, pretty much no others have meaningful application to it. Can't even Chain it, because it doesn't target anything. (Chain Clone creating 16+ clones at a go for the cost of one would be pretty hillarious.) As a necromancy spell, it's not like it being 8th level is even a real show-stopper to applying metamagic; Slaymates' Pale Auras can help there. But there just isn't much that's any good for it that I can think of.

Any fun or funny exploits or uses for clone you guys can think of?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-01-13, 02:14 PM
Would blood (liquid or congealed) be viable for this spell? A cubic inch of blood would be easier to obtain, less painful, and easier to replenish.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-01-13, 02:29 PM
It's cheap enough to be used as a backup.
You don't have to use it immediately when you die, you can wait for your allies to rez you first (ideally with something that doesn't cost you a level) and only use the clone when they can't do that for some reason. Contingent Resurrection that only goes of when you want it to and can't be dispelled (or even detected), with a discount.
Of course then your enemies still have all your gear, making it not that useful for PCs in most styles of play.

It's more useful for NPC badguys imo since you can just handwave them new gear (it's not like the party will complain about more loot, will they?).

As for exploits you could potentially use it to supply corpses with class levels for animating.
It's questionable if it works on the clone itself (which is described as a soulless bit of inert flesh, not a corpse), but nothing's stopping you from killing the original, having it use the clone and animating the original body (with, for example, Animate Dread Warrior or the Curst or Spectral Mage templates).

You'd probably want Thought Bottle cheese to avoid losing levels (if you're using yourself or your party, but why would you use Clone for anyone else?), but even without that losing a level may be worth the party getting a powerful minion. Think of it like magic item crafting, only for corpses :smallwink:
If you have some way to control it at least, so you'd either want Animate Dread Warrior or a cleric with high rebuke/command (if you do have a cleric his undead copy can also rebuke/command, as a bonus).

HeraldOfExius
2020-01-13, 03:15 PM
In PF, is there a difference between "a (permanent) negative level" and "a lost level?"

In PF, negative levels (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/Gamemastering/special-abilities/#TOC-Energy-Drain-and-Negative-Levels) have been turned into a particular type of debuff that gives you a cumulative penalty on a bunch of things and kills you if it reaches your total HD. The so-called "permanent" ones can be removed one at a time with Restoration (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/restoration/) or all at once with Greater Restoration. PF doesn't treat levels or XP as an expendable resource, so exploitng anything that has negative levels as a cost is generally as simple as "have access to a level 7+ cleric."

Segev
2020-01-13, 03:49 PM
In PF, negative levels (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/Gamemastering/special-abilities/#TOC-Energy-Drain-and-Negative-Levels) have been turned into a particular type of debuff that gives you a cumulative penalty on a bunch of things and kills you if it reaches your total HD. The so-called "permanent" ones can be removed one at a time with Restoration (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/restoration/) or all at once with Greater Restoration. PF doesn't treat levels or XP as an expendable resource, so exploitng anything that has negative levels as a cost is generally as simple as "have access to a level 7+ cleric."

Interesting, thanks. I'm honestly unsure what I think of PF1's shift to XP not being an expendable resource. In some ways, it makes things more interesting, while in others, I think it stifles narrative options. I mean, it's certainly a power boost for, say, item crafting!

This is one of those cases where I think it's seriously showing its weakness. While it's certainly nice to have an easy way to make the cost just 2 4th level spell slots or one 7th level spell slot to recover from, it feels cheap in comparison. :smallannoyed:

Good to know why it's 2 negative levels vs. one lost level, though: it's a little pricier because it's easier to fix!