PDA

View Full Version : Character Build - Pathfinder 1 - Spheres of Power

WereRabbitz
2020-01-13, 04:29 PM
Looking for help with a character Build if you guys wouldn't mind.

Group: Currently I'm playing with 1 heavy melee and 2 medium melee's. 1 other character will be playing a Healer of some sort.

Experience: I'm new to spheres of power and kind of new to pathfinder as well. Most of my experience lies in D&D 5e/3.5

Goal: I'm making a character that tried to become a druid and couldn't seem to connect, so now he has decided if he can't commune with nature he will control it.
So i'm looking to go heavy into the Nature Sphere and get the 4 basic elements and maybe plants (optional) Geo's.. But do i need other spheres? Like Destruct? Keeping with the Elemental theme.

Setup:
I was thinking of doing a Human Incantor for my build and start with Nature Sphere
- Take Fire & Eearth Geo's
- That gives me I think 7 Talents are level 1 to spend, looking at Fire Lord, Dragon Lung, Earth Lord, Melt Earth, ect..
- I have 20 to use as my caster stats thanks to Human plus a good roll. So Was thinking of making my Casting stat a Wisdom for higher Will Saves... thoughts?

Concerns:
- 2 + Int for skills makes me think i'll be lack luster with skills and looking for options to build on that (anything nature themed is bonus)

- Defense - All i have right now is a 13 to AC with Dex & my Foundation Talent that only gives me a +2 while concentrating, makes me worry when my HD is only a 1d6 per level....

- Specializations.. Should I take any? Not sure I want the Druid pet one from nature, was thinking maybe the Earth and Fire Domains from the Cleric Domain Specialization since it gives me resistance later as well.

- Lots of Bonus Feats & Skills should I lean into other Spheres for Damage or Buffs? I want to play the Sorc Nature flavor, but I need to be viable to help my teammates.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Manyasone
2020-01-13, 05:09 PM
Why not use a geomancer (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/geomancer).
It's an elementalist that specializes in Nature instead of Destruction. The Elementalist has also a beefier package than the Incanter.
'Weave Elements' makes him a full caster using Nature and 'Favored Package' further increases CL for the chosen packages.
Check it out, maybe?

vasilidor
2020-01-14, 04:47 AM
resist elements give you dr and fire resistance abilities with your current setup with one talent, and wreath of elements can grant temporary hit points against one attack and a fire attack for swift actions (immediate actions usable whenever for the cost of a spell point). and finally rejuvenation allows you to heal yourself for half your caster level (min1) up to half of your max hit points for a standard action, if you spend a spell point you get fast healing for a minute per caster level up to half of your hit points. that should help minimize squishiness if going incanter.

SangoProduction
2020-01-14, 06:45 AM
Just to note: every damage option sucks, outside of Destruction sphere. If you're spending at least two talents dedicated towards damage, then you have no real reason not to pick up destruction sphere instead, especially as you can, as long as you have bought the base sphere, use drawbacks for bonus talents which let you specialize your destructive blasts as you please.

If you are unhappy with your sage setup, you can try for a Wraith, using Path of the Anima, which fits well with the whole domineering of nature sort of deal, literally pulling the elements around you and using them as shields (aka, you get to possess nature, and manifest it as elementals).

I'm not really sure what help you're asking for though. So eh.

Hunter Noventa
2020-01-14, 11:49 AM
Just to note: every damage option sucks, outside of Destruction sphere. If you're spending at least two talents dedicated towards damage, then you have no real reason not to pick up destruction sphere instead, especially as you can, as long as you have bought the base sphere, use drawbacks for bonus talents which let you specialize your destructive blasts as you please.

Yeah, a single talent in the Destruction sphere is a good start.
1 Drawback can get you Medium range, at the cost of only having the basic blast shape.
2 Drawbacks can get you elemental damage, at the cost of not having any other element, but you can pick up the variations on that element, you're limited to a blast type group.

I actually just started a Nature-themed spherecaster myself, and for 1 Talent I got a Medium Range Touch Attack that does 1d4 Piercing damage, and then generated brambles to entangle the target struck, making that square difficult terrain, and providing something I can use the Nature sphere's Plant Geomancy for Entangle on in places without plants. And it doesn't cost me any spell points.

WereRabbitz
2020-01-14, 09:53 PM
Nature didn't seem so bad damage wise. The Alter Fire with Fire lord and Firelung seem a like a good start.. and with Melt Earth and Manipulate lava I have a lot of control options.

I think i'm looking for more control then damage really since I have 3 melee classes with me.

What about this talent? Since i'm an Incantor thought i could put 3 or 4 points into Light to boost this feature a bit.

Luminous Flame (Dual Sphere) [Apoc]
Prerequisites: Light sphere, Nature sphere (fire geomancing).

Benefit: Whenever you use the create fire geomancing ability, you may also cause the fire to glow. In addition, you may maintain concentration of any fire geomancy and the bright light of the glow with a single action.

Any other suggestions? Seems nature will be good for area control,

Are any of specilizations for a Incantor worthwhile for my nature focus?

So I should drop at least 3 talents in Destruction for the blast Type/Shape as my main damage i take it?

Thanks again!

NomGarret
2020-01-15, 02:04 PM
You should take destruction, and should take 3 or so talents worth of it, but you don’t need to spend those talents, at least not all in one rush. Drawbacks will let you swap out your blast shape and type for others. If all you want is fire punches, you’re only really spending the one talent on base destruction. It’s only if you want to /at some point/ also have ranged blasts or deal bludgeoning damage that you need to spend all those talents. That said, as an Incanter you have talents to spread around.