PDA

View Full Version : Centaur Classes

elyktsorb
2020-01-14, 06:08 AM
I'm going to be playing a Centaur, standard point buy, and I'm curious to know what classes/multiclass stuff would be neat to do with them? I thought about being a Druid because it just seems to fit a Centaur IMO. But I want to know if there's anything odd that I might not be seeing on my first look.

Aett_Thorn
2020-01-14, 06:49 AM
Centaurs make great Str-based Rangers, since their +2 to Str, Charge, and Powerful Build all help with melee characters and the stuff they need to carry. A melee-based Cleric is good for the same reasons.

A Centaur Monk would be fun as well, though the Stats aren’t great for it. But at least you get the fun visual of using mostly your hooves for your attacks.

If your table allows the Blood Hunter class that is on DND Beyond, then there again the stats are great for it. Though that class is a bit weak, using your Crimson Rite damage on your hooves would be fun as well (or on a normal weapon, but that’s less fun). Go the Lycanthrope path and turn yourself into a were-horse.

Imbalance
2020-01-14, 08:51 AM
My DM kicked around a scenario a while back that looked good for my centaur monklock idea.

I didn't say it was a good idea.

zinycor
2020-01-14, 09:50 AM
The class variants unearthed arcana features the roving feature, which should cancel the downside on equine build. A centaur swimming and climbing at 45ft speed is truly a wonderful image, I did that at a current game and I recommend it.

Desteplo
2020-01-14, 09:53 AM
You can pretty much do any my little pony..

zinycor
2020-01-14, 10:01 AM
Clerics are also an easy choice, bonus to wisdom and strength means that you will have no problem getting to use heavy armor.

Anyway, I really like centaur as a playable race, they have plenty of fun bonuses and the visuals are pretty fun.

You should watch shadiversity's video on YouTube regarding centaurs and their weapons if you are looking for inspiration.

Bobthewizard
2020-01-14, 10:19 AM
I promise, I don't plan on fighting against you, zinycor, and I like your character a lot, but our game just brought up a question that I thought would be better addressed here than in that game thread, because I want you to have a high AC in that game. So here's my question:

How does armor work for a centaur?

The UA doesn't say explicitly but it does say they have Equine Build. Do they need armor for their torso and barding for their body? Or does a normal human suit of armor give them full AC even if they can only wear half of it? I think this is what our DM is going to let you do and what I would do but I doubt it's RAW since it's only covering maybe 20% of your body.

So to the OP, if you want to wear armor, talk to your DM first. If just wearing human armor doesn't work, then monk or barbarian seems vital. Barding costs 4 times as much and weighs twice as much. Add in the human part and you are looking at 5 times the cost and up to 3 times the weight. So scale mail + scale barding would cost 250gp and weigh 135lbs. Plate would cost 7,500gp and weigh 195 pounds.

I would likely recommend barbarian/ranger multi-class for a martial centaur, which I think is what zinycor is planning to do in our campaign.

And yes, it's really cool to have a centaur in your group. Unfortunately, our DM overruled the medium creature riding the centaur. So sad for that.

zinycor
2020-01-14, 10:35 AM
I promise, I don't plan on fighting against you, zinycor,
Looks around suspiciously

So here's my question:

How does armor work for a centaur?

The UA doesn't say explicitly but it does say they have Equine Build. Do they need armor for their torso and barding for their body? Or does a normal human suit of armor give them full AC even if they can only wear half of it? I think this is what our DM is going to let you do and what I would do but I doubt it's RAW since it's only covering maybe 20% of your body.

So to the OP, if you want to wear armor, talk to your DM first. If just wearing human armor doesn't work, then monk or barbarian seems vital. Barding costs 4 times as much and weighs twice as much. Add in the human part and you are looking at 5 times the cost and up to 3 times the weight. So scale mail + scale barding would cost 250gp and weigh 135lbs. Plate would cost 7,500gp and weigh 195 pounds.

I would likely recommend barbarian/ranger multi-class for a martial centaur, which I think is what zinycor is planning to do in our campaign.

I agree, armor costs could be pretty high, talk to your GM about this, if the costs are too large still you could multiclass into barbarian or somehow get the Mage armor spell so you get some more defenses.

Since we are talking about armor, it brings out a few questions that aren't taken into account by the rules: How do shields work on a centaur? Since they can't really use them to protect their lower half?

Where the vital organs on a centaur? do they get their organs on the human AND horse sides?

And yes, it's really cool to have a centaur in your group. Unfortunately, our DM overruled the medium creature riding the centaur. So sad for that.

I have been thinking of a cool solution to that problem...

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-vector/war-chariot-sign-260nw-758773138.jpg

https://brinawilliamson.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/2012-centaur-and-elf1.jpg

Bobthewizard
2020-01-14, 11:02 AM
https://brinawilliamson.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/2012-centaur-and-elf1.jpg

I love it. I think my character has a bow.

Willie the Duck
2020-01-14, 11:13 AM
I'm going to be playing a Centaur, standard point buy, and I'm curious to know what classes/multiclass stuff would be neat to do with them? I thought about being a Druid because it just seems to fit a Centaur IMO. But I want to know if there's anything odd that I might not be seeing on my first look.

Clerics are also an easy choice, bonus to wisdom and strength means that you will have no problem getting to use heavy armor.

Life cleric would make a lot of sense. Take the Medicine skill and tell people that you're the Centaur for Disease Control.

ScoutTrooper
2020-01-14, 11:17 AM
I'm currently playing a Circle of Spores Centaur in a homebrew campaign , The Centaur adds a level of mobility, and I've coupled decent rolled stats to be a melee tank for the party composition and post encounter healer. While administrating Battlefield effects or Enemy nerfs at the beginning of combat.

It's also quite hilarious to have the DM explain how the whole party fit in a rowboat. How we all hid in a toppled over carriage. How a Tabaxi theif 'pickpocketed' me as I climbed a ladder, which was first described as stairs.

Spectrulus
2020-01-14, 11:24 AM
Looks around suspiciously
How do shields work on a centaur? Since they can't really use them to protect their lower half?

Where the vital organs on a centaur? do they get their organs on the human AND horse sides?

Centaur would have larger but mechanically identical kite shields rather than round ones to protect their legs.

Biologically, most of what I've read is the "human torso" is muscles and lungs. Enormous lungs to provide the oxygen for a big brain and body. Brain up top. The lower ribcage or "horse part" holds the other organs.

AJ Picket goes into more detail than you probably need. Biology starts about 30 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/FCzF870MSv4

As far as classes go, Centaurs are martial inclined mechanically, and if you have a good friend to play along, the Centaur Centurion looks like it would be a blast.

zinycor
2020-01-14, 11:45 AM
I love it. I think my character has a bow.

:smallwink: Such a combat unit xD

Sigreid
2020-01-14, 11:52 AM
Druid would work well. Wildshape can help you deal with the occasional issue with centaur shape.

AgenderArcee
2020-01-14, 12:28 PM
Barbarian X/Scout Rogue 3. The key here is that your Charge attack is a melee weapon attack that uses your Strength modifier, so you can use it to get extra Rage damage. But of course, you have to move 30 feet towards a target to use Charge, so you can really only do it once per enemy, right? That's where the Rogue multiclass comes in. The addition of Rogue allows you to Charge every other turn with Rogue 2, and every turn at Rogue 3, assuming adequate space.

At Rogue 2, you get Cunning Action. That means as a bonus action, you can Disengage from melee. Assuming you haven't used 30 feet of movement yet that turn, you can then safely move up to 40 feet away and Charge on your next turn, then rinse and repeat.

Once you take the Scout archetype, though, you should be able to do this every single turn, thanks to the Skirmisher feature. Whenever an enemy ends its turn within 5 feet of you (which should be pretty often, since as a Barbarian you want to be in melee range all the time), you can use your reaction to move half your speed (20 feet) away without provoking opportunity attacks. That means once it's your turn, you can move an additional 10 feet away, then use the rest of your movement to Charge 30 feet at the enemy you just got away from. Unlike with Cunning Action, your bonus action is preserved for the Charge Hooves attack.

If you choose to wield a rapier and shield, and you either have advantage or an ally within five feet of your target, you'll also do 2d6 Sneak Attack damage! If you don't expect that to regularly be the case, though, I'd probably just use a two-handed weapon. Four skill Expertises, Skirmisher and Cunning Action are already plenty to justify the Rogue levels. However, Reckless Attack should ensure one use of Sneak Attack per round, making sword and board a very tempting option.

Going Barbarian also has the bonus of solving the above-mentioned armor cost issue. :) And RP-wise, the Scout/Barbarian combo definitely fits a wild-living half-beast centaur.

Level progression should probably be Barbarian 5 Rogue 3 Barbarian X if you don't want to delay Extra Attack, which will definitely out-damage Charge. However, if you just want to use this playstyle at lower levels, then Barbarian 1-2/Rogue 3 will get you there faster.

micahaphone
2020-01-14, 01:10 PM
I feel like Order Cleric could be very fun. Be the Judge Dredd that can't be outrun. You might not even need War Caster, if you rely on your hooves as a melee weapon when it's needed. You'd definitely have to work with the DM to figure out armor, maybe if you're part of an org, be it a regional government or a holy order, etc, you could get some custom blacksmithing work at the HQ after a while as a reward.

MagneticKitty
2020-01-14, 01:42 PM
Monk, rogue thief, and wildshape can all help get over your climbing issue.

micahaphone
2020-01-14, 02:47 PM
Monk, rogue thief, and wildshape can all help get over your climbing issue.

A monk centaur wall running would be great - someone in their house is surprised to hear galloping hooves outside their upper story room!

I do want to know how to narratively explain a centaur's use of the Second Story Work feature of Thief Rogue. Do you get swole arms and grip strength, climbing only with your hands? Are you putting velvet and suction cups onto little booties? Are you using a rope & grappling hook, and skateboards under your hooves?

Nagog
2020-01-14, 04:02 PM
As far as classes go, Centaurs are martial inclined mechanically, and if you have a good friend to play along, the Centaur Centurion looks like it would be a blast.

By the planes above I would love a Centaurian in games I DM. It's the perfect combination of RAW exploitation and downright shenanigizing, without compromising your ability to kick butt. To further the appeal: There was a thread not too long ago about Warforged integrated tools, specifically how vehicles are RAW considered tools, so... There is that. Have a party of 3 who combine like a Megazord to make a dope chariot warrior. XD

On the topic at hand, I would look at Monk 1/Ranger X. There's good reason that centaurs are often depicted that way: Horses (and therefore centaurs) are not exactly built to move sideways or backwards. You need space to turn around (which is also I'm sure the root of their "bravery". Can't turn tail and run without at least 10 feet square of space to turn XD), but you can twist and fire an arrow over your back. Monk uses the same base stats as a Ranger (Dex and Wis) and provides Unarmored Defense without any real drawbacks. If you'd like to use your Str bonus instead, I know there was a bow in Pathfinder (a Compound Bow I think?) that used Str instead of Dex. Or use handaxes. Either way, I'd dip Monk rather than Barb for Unarmored Defense, otherwise the build for Cleric or Ranger (or Druid) gets a bit MAD. And if you do end up going Druid, your Unarmored Defense carries over if that AC calculation is higher than the shape's base AC!

elyktsorb
2020-01-15, 05:30 AM
A lot of neat stuff in this thread, and I thank you for it

Cleric might be sold to me on this line alone

Life cleric would make a lot of sense. Take the Medicine skill and tell people that you're the Centaur for Disease Control.

But I've definitely got a lot to work with here. Seems like multiclassing is a decent option, this campaign intends to go to 20 (of course that's always the case isn't it before scheduling gets in the way)

Aett_Thorn
2020-01-15, 06:28 AM

Okay, that’s it. You’re cut off.