PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle this magic item?

jaappleton
2020-01-14, 05:39 PM
So the Warlock has a special magic item, the Rod of the Pact Keeper.

Once per day, as a reaction, regain a spell slot. And a +1/2/3 to spell attack rolls and spell DC, dependo on the rarity. Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare.

...what’s the equivalent of this for the other short rest d8 class, the Monk?

Regain a number of Ki equal to your Wisdom modifier? Half your level, rounded down?

I have honestly no idea. And to be frank, I’m a bit shocked it doesn’t already exist.

Spectrulus
2020-01-14, 08:49 PM
Interesting point... My best guesses would be something like

Bonus to Monk DC in +1, +2, +3

Paired with either :
- Regain ki equal to roll of Martial Arts Dice
- Regain Ki equal to proficiency bonus
- Regain Ki equal to Wisdom Modifier

All of those make sense.

Beads of Introspection or some other name for the item.

jaappleton
2020-01-15, 08:19 AM
Would you also give it +1/2/3 to Ki Save DC?

Also to attack rolls as well? (But not damage, since the Warlock equivalent doesn't add damage)

J-H
2020-01-15, 08:49 AM
For my campaign, I created a set of what were basically brass knuckles under a different name. They gave the monk +1 to hit and damage with unarmed strikes, and extra ki points equal to the monk's wisdom modifier.

nickl_2000
2020-01-15, 09:08 AM
Are you planning on giving +x to attack, damage, or Ki DC, or some combination of the above?

How much bonus Ki you give depends highly on which of the top 3 you are giving at the same time.

Smoothjedi
2020-01-15, 10:25 AM
To be honest, I would just tell the monk, sorry that is a warlock only item; there is no equivalent. Even its counterpart for other spell casting classes is much worse in comparison.
Warlocks gets spells per day like fighters get extra attacks, regardless of the spell level. Therefore the item exists to help those spells land, because if they fail they've lost 50% of their spellcasting feature for their short rest until level 10.
In stark contrast a monk gets a ki point per level, and their abilities are cheap. Stunning strike costs 1 ki point; same with flurry of blows. If someone saves against your stun, or you miss all your bonus attacks, you still have 9 more tries at level 10 before your short rest ends.
So, again it was no accident that the rod of the pact keeper is warlock only. It's way overpowered in the hands of someone that can get a lot of use out of it per short rest, such as a wizard or monk. Just give them a +1 weapon and be done with it.

jaappleton
2020-01-15, 10:29 AM
To be honest, I would just tell the monk, sorry that is a warlock only item; there is no equivalent. Even its counterpart for other spell casting classes is much worse in comparison.
Warlocks gets spells per day like fighters get extra attacks, regardless of the spell level. Therefore the item exists to help those spells land, because if they fail they've lost 50% of their spellcasting feature for their short rest until level 10.
In stark contrast a monk gets a ki point per level, and their abilities are cheap. Stunning strike costs 1 ki point; same with flurry of blows. If someone saves against your stun, or you miss all your bonus attacks, you still have 9 more tries at level 10 before your short rest ends.
So, again it was no accident that the rod of the pact keeper is warlock only. It's way overpowered in the hands of someone that can get a lot of use out of it per short rest, such as a wizard or monk. Just give them a +1 weapon and be done with it.

You have a fair point.

However....

Look through all the magic items across all the 5E books.

How many are especially beneficial for Monks? It’s quite a short list. Beavers of Defense are solid, but not Monk specific (like Holy Avenger for Paladin, our Pact Keeper for Warlocks).

In fact I cannot recall one Monk exclusive item.

nickl_2000
2020-01-15, 10:43 AM
You have a fair point.

However....

How many are especially beneficial for Monks? It’s quite a short list. Beavers of Defense are solid, but not Monk specific (like Holy Avenger for Paladin, our Pact Keeper for Warlocks).

Insignia of the Claws is pretty much Monk only.

jaappleton
2020-01-15, 10:45 AM
Insignia of the Claws is pretty much Monk only.

1. Not available in the PHB (which is a shame, it should be)

2. Also helps Druids. And from this most recent UA, the new Barbarian subclass.

Its pretty close to Monk exclusive, but not quite.

nickl_2000
2020-01-15, 10:52 AM
You have a fair point.

However....

1. Not available in the PHB (which is a shame, it should be)

2. Also helps Druids. And from this most recent UA, the new Barbarian subclass.

Its pretty close to Monk exclusive, but not quite.

Bolding mine.

1) You mentioned across all 5e books... which is why I mentioned it. It is an official wotc magic item.
2) I assume you mean DMG :)
3) Whether it helps Druid is DM dependent (not a discussion for this thread). However, it is hard to argue that it is much more helpful for a Monk than a Moon Druid, UA Barbarian, or Tavern Brawler.

I actually would like to see a robe that is Monk exclusive. That seems more fitting to me than anything else.

Smoothjedi
2020-01-15, 10:53 AM
You have a fair point.

However....

True, but then again how many items are Wizard only? Or sorcerer? Most items for those just require the ability to cast spells; only a very select few have a specific class attunement requirement. Most magic items are built to accommodate a large amount of classes so you don't have the problem of MMO's where rogue only gear drops and no one in the group is a rogue.
That being said, there are some items that could really help monks do monk stuff, such as a cloak of invisibility, +x and elemental weapons, winged boots, dancing shield, ioun stones, etc. Just because it doesn't have an exclusive attunement doesn't mean it can't be stellar for him.

CapnWildefyr
2020-01-15, 11:24 AM
Beavers of Defense are solid, but not Monk specific (like Holy Avenger for Paladin, our Pact Keeper for Warlocks).

Beavers of defense. Heh. How about "woodchucks of aggression"?

Seriously though you are right. Biggest needs I see are for AC and save DC. Maybe houserule elven chain to not impede a monk? Or a magic version to do that?

nickl_2000
2020-01-15, 11:34 AM
Beavers of defense. Heh. How about "woodchucks of aggression"?

Seriously though you are right. Biggest needs I see are for AC and save DC. Maybe houserule elven chain to not impede a monk? Or a magic version to do that?

Now my mind is going through magical animal friends that you can attune to

Squirrels of Spellcasting
Ferrets of Fighting
Chipmonk of Channeling
Mouse of Music

jaappleton
2020-01-15, 11:49 AM
Foiled by autocorrect...

Totally making a Shepard Druid that summons beavers for my next one shot.

I’m thinking +1/2/3 to Save DC of your monk abilities, depending on rarity

And once per long rest can recover your Wis Mod worth of Ki as an Action.

But no bonus to attack rolls. Warlocks cantrips scale more slowly (as in number of possible attack rolls with EB) than Martial Arts, and Warlocks can’t innately stun like Monks.

Seem fair?

Smoothjedi
2020-01-15, 11:56 AM
Foiled by autocorrect...

Totally making a Shepard Druid that summons beavers for my next one shot.

I’m thinking +1/2/3 to Save DC of your monk abilities, depending on rarity

And once per long rest can recover your Wis Mod worth of Ki as an Action.

But no bonus to attack rolls. Warlocks cantrips scale more slowly (as in number of possible attack rolls with EB) than Martial Arts, and Warlocks can’t innately stun like Monks.

Seem fair?

Not at all for the same reasons I mentioned above. It's not the bonus to attack rolls that are a concern; saves don't scale up like armor class does. If you changed the Wand of the War Mage to give bonuses to DC instead of spell attack rolls, every caster would have one, hands down. Increasing save difficulty checks is extremely rare for a reason; they can easily trivialize a fight if the target can't save. This is especially true when the monk's stunning attack is so cheap to use.

SkylarkR6
2020-01-15, 12:09 PM
Not at all for the same reasons I mentioned above. It's not the bonus to attack rolls that are a concern; saves don't scale up like armor class does. If you changed the Wand of the War Mage to give bonuses to DC instead of spell attack rolls, every caster would have one, hands down. Increasing save difficulty checks is extremely rare for a reason; they can easily trivialize a fight if the target can't save. This is especially true when the monk's stunning attack is so cheap to use.

I really have to agree with Smoothjedi. This item would give my level 11 monk a DC of 17-19 on his potential 11 stunning strikes per short rest with an increased chance to land the blows. Per short rest.
Since he's way of the open hand I'll get my wuxia/Neo shenanigans out of the way with the kicks and trips while I'm at it.

jaappleton
2020-01-15, 12:14 PM
Fair, about the save DC.

But I'd really like a magic item for a Monk to be able to restore some Ki.

SkylarkR6
2020-01-15, 12:22 PM
Robes of Meditation
Wonderous item(Rare), requires attunement, monk only

+1 AC
+1 to saving throw vs spells

Once per long rest, you can take 1 minute to refill your ki.

Something like this would be more in tune with what I'd want for my monk personally

Smoothjedi
2020-01-15, 12:24 PM
Robes of Meditation
Wonderous item(Rare), requires attunement, monk only

+1 AC
+1 to saving throw vs spells

Once per long rest, you can take 1 minute to refill your ki.

Something like this would be more in tune with what I'd want for my monk personally

Yeah I like that. You'd still need to manage your resources during combat, and would be basically an upgraded cloak of protection in a slot monks probably don't get to fill that often.

stoutstien
2020-01-15, 01:20 PM
An magical item that i made for a monk

Hatchet of Kung fu hustle
Req attunement
Magical hand axe

-You gain a bonus to your total ki equal to your wisdom modifier
-when you attempt to use stunning strike you can make the target automatically fail it's saving throw. 1 charge recharge on long rest.

Robes of inner peace
Req attunement (monk)
+1 AC

When you use your patient defense feature you can roll a D20. On a roll of 1-10 you can make one unarmed strike as part lf the same bonus action. On a roll of 11-20 you regain a number of ki equal to your proficiency bonus.

Yakk
2020-01-15, 01:36 PM
Crystal of Focus
Misc Magic Item
Req attunement

While attuned and touching this Crystal, you gain a +1 bonus to unarmed strikes attack rolls and Monk ability save DCs. In addition, you can regain one half (round up) of your expended Ki points as an action while touching this Crystal. You can only use that ability once before completing a long rest.

This Crystal is often mounted on a bracer, amulet or headband to keep it in contact with the attuned Monk.

CapnWildefyr
2020-01-15, 08:02 PM
I see the points about DC. What about bracers that provide a smallish fixed pool of extra ki points, but they can only be used for abilities granted by the bracers. For example maybe a cross-Way ability? The bracers would do one thing only, like fist of 4 thunders, but usages would be limited by the fixed pool of ki/charges per day or whatever. Just thinking... haven't thought it through too much yet. But as long as you don't give out like quivering palm, one or two shadows steps a day probably isn't killer.

Spectrulus
2020-01-15, 11:10 PM
Would you also give it +1/2/3 to Ki Save DC?

Also to attack rolls as well? (But not damage, since the Warlock equivalent doesn't add damage)

That is what I would think, I just phrased it differently. I would not give bonus to hit, since it grants many Ki points with my interpretation.

Smoothjedi
2020-01-15, 11:22 PM
That is what I would think, I just phrased it differently. I would not give bonus to hit, since it grants many Ki points with my interpretation.

Just because two classes have short rest mechanics, doesn't mean their abilities are balanced the same. If you want to make your monk totally unstoppable by stun locking everything for the team every round of every battle, go ahead. Just remember it's a lot harder to nerf an item once they've got a taste for it.

Spectrulus
2020-01-15, 11:36 PM
Just because two classes have short rest mechanics, doesn't mean their abilities are balanced the same. If you want to make your monk totally unstoppable by stun locking everything for the team every round of every battle, go ahead. Just remember it's a lot harder to nerf an item once they've got a taste for it.

Oh totally. I would have this theoretical item be a rarity higher than the Rod of the Pact at each tier.

Smoothjedi
2020-01-15, 11:53 PM
Oh totally. I would have this theoretical item be a rarity higher than the Rod of the Pact at each tier.

I'm sorry, but again you're way undervaluing the effect. Items that grant save DC increases are pretty much limited to Legendary already. This rod is the only exception because at level 10 and below it can really only be used 1-2 times per short rest for anything other than a cantrip, depending on spell usage, and no cantrip effect is going to be anywhere near as strong as a stun.
Contrasting that with the frequency of the monk's abilities, it's no contest. You're essentially giving out legendary quality bonuses to rare and very rare items and calling it balanced.

jaappleton
2020-01-16, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry, but again you're way undervaluing the effect. Items that grant save DC increases are pretty much limited to Legendary already. This rod is the only exception because at level 10 and below it can really only be used 1-2 times per short rest for anything other than a cantrip, depending on spell usage, and no cantrip effect is going to be anywhere near as strong as a stun.
Contrasting that with the frequency of the monk's abilities, it's no contest. You're essentially giving out legendary quality bonuses to rare and very rare items and calling it balanced.

I hadn't considered this.

So... lets call it a necklace. Pendant. Beads.

And it restores +Wis Mod worth of Ki once per long rest.

That's it. That's all it does.

Requires attunement.

What rarity is this item? And does it require an Action or a Bonus Action to do it?

Smoothjedi
2020-01-16, 03:01 PM
I hadn't considered this.

So... lets call it a necklace. Pendant. Beads.

And it restores +Wis Mod worth of Ki once per long rest.

That's it. That's all it does.

Requires attunement.

What rarity is this item? And does it require an Action or a Bonus Action to do it?

That does seem a lot better. Hmm, I went looking through magic items to try and find something that also restores resources, but nothing was a great fit. I don't think it's unreasonable to consider that uncommon.

jaappleton
2020-01-16, 06:12 PM
That does seem a lot better. Hmm, I went looking through magic items to try and find something that also restores resources, but nothing was a great fit. I don't think it's unreasonable to consider that uncommon.

What action does it take?

Action? BA? Reaction so I can still wreck faces without impeding on my action economy? >_>

Rukelnikov
2020-01-16, 06:28 PM
What action does it take?

Action? BA? Reaction so I can still wreck faces without impeding on my action economy? >_>

No action, make it "your max Ki is increased by WIS", or prof or w/e, its not a "refresh" per se, but the effect is similar (better actually), in that you get extra ki points to spend every short rest.