PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hexadin for the end of CURSE OF STRAHD (spoilers)

IChosePoorly
2020-01-14, 09:49 PM
My Battle Master/Arcane Trickster died as he lived last session, so I'm rolling up a new PC for the final push through Curse of Strahd, beginning just at the end of Amber Temple. I was the Sunblade wielder, and would like this character to be as well. (The rest of the party is a blaster Sorcerer, Wildfire Druid (with the Dark Gift that gives 25 Strength), Oathbreaker GWM/PM Paladin, and CG Death Cleric...so....)

Build Constraints
*I'd like to play a Hexadin, since I haven't.
*Leaning human, half-elf, or aasimar.
*Main weapon will be the Sunblade.
*Rolled stats are 18 14 14 13 12 12.
*I can choose to take Dark Gifts retroactively (and am leaning towards the +4 Charisma, obviously).
*We are at 9th level and will be leveling up soon.
*Most books are available, but I'd like to stay fairly close to core.

So: how should I build this character? Race, feats, spells, level distribution? I'm very green at 5E, so any advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance!

Expected
2020-01-15, 02:46 AM
My Battle Master/Arcane Trickster died as he lived last session, so I'm rolling up a new PC for the final push through Curse of Strahd, beginning just at the end of Amber Temple. I was the Sunblade wielder, and would like this character to be as well. (The rest of the party is a blaster Sorcerer, Wildfire Druid (with the Dark Gift that gives 25 Strength), Oathbreaker GWM/PM Paladin, and CG Death Cleric...so....)

Build Constraints
*I'd like to play a Hexadin, since I haven't.
*Leaning human, half-elf, or aasimar.
*Main weapon will be the Sunblade.
*Rolled stats are 18 14 14 13 12 12.
*I can choose to take Dark Gifts retroactively (and am leaning towards the +4 Charisma, obviously).
*We are at 9th level and will be leveling up soon.
*Most books are available, but I'd like to stay fairly close to core.

So: how should I build this character? Race, feats, spells, level distribution? I'm very green at 5E, so any advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance!
It's difficult to build a multiclass with Paladin because the Sunblade offers the Finesse property and anything -adin needs at least 13 Str unless you go pure Paladin, which does not allow you to dump Str and keeps you MAD. Also, Hexblade Warlocks are able to use Cha for their attack score which negates a huge benefit of the Sunblade. I will do my best to help, but honestly, I think a Dex-based fighter build using S&B will be more effective with the Sunblade (I can provide a sample build if you decide you may want to play one).

My suggested build:
Variant Human
Paladin 1/Pact of the Blade Hexblade Warlock 8
Str-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha
14(+1)-12-13(+1)-12-13-18(+2 from ASI,+4 Dark Gift)
War Caster (level 1), Shield Master (level 4), +2 Cha (level 8)
Chainmail -> Splint -> Plate
Sunblade + Shield
Devil's Sight, Eldritch Smite, Thirsting Blade

Use Bonus Action from Shield Master (after attack or before depending on RAI vs RAW) to knock enemy prone and attack with advantage->Eldritch Smite on crit+Divine Smite when Paladin is taken to level 2. Hexblade's Curse increase crit range to 19-20 on the d20 for 1 enemy/SR or LR. Use Hex Warrior to attack with Cha (Str is at 15 for heavy armor). Agonizing Blast+Eldritch Blast is your ranged option.

diplomancer
2020-01-15, 04:59 AM
As regards stats and race, I'd go Str15, Dex12, Con14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 20 with half elf, or same stats except Wis 13 with Fallen Aasimar, but I don't believe necrotic shroud is very good here. The 15 str allows you to wear Plate. If you want to be more stealthy (though I don't think giving up on 2 AC is worth it) it's probably better to go with Aasimar than half-elf. Scourge Aasimar would let you have Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12 Cha 20. Protector Aasimar slightly worse, with both str and wis at 13, but still good and opens up the observant feat and the ritual caster feat.

Class distribution: Just one warlock level should be sufficient, second level gives you one more short rest 1st level smite and better ranged attack, but I don't think there is much need of ranged attacks inside Strahd's castle. Hexblade 1/ Paladin 8 soon to be 9 gives you the third level spells, where there are many solid choices (and even if you just use your 2 3rd level slots for smites, it's better to have 2 3rd level long rest smites than one first level short rest smite). If you do get only one level of Hexblade, Magic Stone will be a better cantrip than Eldritch Blast for ranged attacks in tier 2. If your character goes on to tier 3 later, then you can take one or two more warlock levels and substitute magic stone for eldritch blast.

Subclass: The best Paladin for Curse of Strahd is usually devotion, because of the aura. When you use your weapon channel divinity, you will have an insane +20 to hit, which some would say is overkill, might be better to use your channel divinity for turning the undead. However, with your +7 aura to saving throws and everyone in your party except the sorcerer having wis save proficiencies (assuming he hasn't taken resilient wis, which is quite a good feat for sorcerers), I would go Conquest. If you go this route, there is a very nice guide for how to play a Conquest Paladin in this forum.

Feats would be two of warcaster (mandatory if your DM is a stickler for spell componentes), Alert, Shield Master*, Ritual Caster (wizard), and Inspiring Leader (this one is specially good with a 24 Cha).
* shield master's bonus action loses its lustre for you, as your str (athletic) checks are not that great. Doubly so if you go Conquest, as Spiritual Weapon is a great use of your bonus action. If you go devotion it's a better choice, as you don't have very good uses of your bonus action anyways.

As regard spell selections, since there is another Paladin in the party, it's more a matter of coordinating with him so you don't duplicate effects. As a Conquest Paladin, wrathful smite gets a special mention.

So, my recommend build is half-elf Conquest Paladin 8, Hexblade 1, duelling fighting style. Str 15, Dex 12, Con 14, Wis 14, Int 12, Cha 24. Feats are Inspiring Leader and Warcaster (if DM does not care about spell components, you can substitute this for either Alert or, if you want more utility, Ritual Caster Wizard).

IF you were your party "rogue", it might be worth it to go Dex Aasimar with a background that gives you Thieves' Tools (or go dex half-elf, switch dex and wis, and get prodigy feat). In that case, Defense style might be better for you than Duelling)

It's difficult to build a multiclass with Paladin because the Sunblade offers the Finesse property and anything -adin needs at least 13 Str unless you go pure Paladin, which does not allow you to dump Str and keeps you MAD. Also, Hexblade Warlocks are able to use Cha for their attack score which negates a huge benefit of the Sunblade. I will do my best to help, but honestly, I think a Dex-based fighter build using S&B will be more effective with the Sunblade (I can provide a sample build if you decide you may want to play one).

Finesse property is nice, but it doesn't interfere with either using the Hexblade Charisma attack or just a regular str attack. It just adds Dex as an option, it does not mandate dex. You can just ignore it and it won't harm you at all.

I would wait to dip Paladin or drop it altogether and build a Warlock as follows:
Variant Human
Pact of the Blade Hexblade Warlock 9
Str-Dex-Con-Int-Wis-Cha
14(+1)-12-13(+1)-12-13-18(+2 from ASI,+4 Dark Gift)
War Caster (level 1), Shield Master (level 4), +2 Cha (level 8)
Chainmail -> Splint -> Plate
Sunblade + Shield
Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight, Eldritch Smite, Thirsting Blade

Problem with this build is that Hexblades don't have heavy armor proficiency, you have to have at least one level of Paladin (at level 1) to make it work.

Expected
2020-01-15, 11:46 AM
Thank you for reminding me, diplomancer. I originally had 2 Paladin levels in my suggestion, but I forgot that the build would lose proficiency after removing it.

@OP: I'd go with diplomancer's build--I'm better with Sorcadins/Sorlockadins than Hexadins.

bendking
2020-01-15, 11:55 AM
As regards stats and race, I'd go Str15, Dex12, Con14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 20 with half elf, or same stats except Wis 13 with Fallen Aasimar, but I don't believe necrotic shroud is very good here. The 15 str allows you to wear Plate. If you want to be more stealthy (though I don't think giving up on 2 AC is worth it) it's probably better to go with Aasimar than half-elf. Either Protection or Scourge Aasimar would let you have Str 13, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 20 (or Con 15 and Wis 12, which is functionally the same, though one would open up the resilient con feat- overkill with warcaster- and the other would open up the observant feat).

Class distribution: Just one warlock level should be sufficient, second level gives you one more short rest 1st level smite and better ranged attack, but I don't think there is much need of ranged attacks inside Strahd's castle. Hexblade 1/ Paladin 8 soon to be 9 gives you the third level spells, where there are many solid choices (and even if you just use your 2 3rd level slots for smites, it's better to have 2 3rd level long rest smites than one first level short rest smite). If you do get only one level of Hexblade, Magic Stone will be a better cantrip than Eldritch Blast for ranged attacks in tier 2. If your character goes on to tier 3 later, then you can take one or two more warlock levels and substitute magic stone for eldritch blast.

Subclass: The best Paladin for Curse of Strahd is usually devotion, because of the aura. When you use your weapon channel divinity, you will have an insane +20 to hit, which some would say is overkill, might be better to use your channel divinity for turning the undead. However, with your +7 aura to saving throws and everyone in your party except the sorcerer having wis save proficiencies (assuming he hasn't taken resilient wis, which is quite a good feat for sorcerers), I would go Conquest. If you go this route, there is a very nice guide for how to play a Conquest Paladin in this forum.

Feats would be two of warcaster (mandatory if your DM is a stickler for spell componentes), Alert, Shield Master*, Ritual Caster (wizard), and Inspiring Leader (this one is specially good with a 24 Cha).
* shield master's bonus action loses its lustre for you, as your str (athletic) checks are not that great. Doubly so if you go Conquest, as Spiritual Weapon is a great use of your bonus action. If you go devotion it's a better choice, as you don't have very good uses of your bonus action anyways.

As regard spell selections, since there is another Paladin in the party, it's more a matter of coordinating with him so you don't duplicate effects. As a Conquest Paladin, wrathful smite gets a special mention.

So, my recommend build is half-elf Conquest Paladin 8, Hexblade 1, duelling fighting style. Str 15, Dex 12, Con 14, Wis 14, Int 12, Cha 24. Feats are Inspiring Leader and Warcaster (if DM does not care about spell components, you can substitute this for either Alert or, if you want more utility, Ritual Caster Wizard).

IF you were your party "rogue", it might be worth it to go Dex Aasimar with a background that gives you Thieves' Tools (or go dex half-elf, switch dex and wis, and get prodigy feat). In that case, Defense style might be better for you than Duelling)

Finesse property is nice, but it doesn't interfere with either using the Hexblade Charisma attack or just a regular str attack. It just adds Dex as an option, it does not mandate dex. You can just ignore it and it won't harm you at all.

Problem with this build is that Hexblades don't have heavy armor proficiency, you have to have at least one level of Paladin (at level 1) to make it work.

I almost agree, except that I would take the Hexblade level at 10, not 9. You really want Fear.
Also, I wouldn't take any feats until your CHA is maxed. It affects both your attack and you DC which is super important for fear-locking people with a Conquest Paladin.

diplomancer
2020-01-15, 12:21 PM
I almost agree, except that I would take the Hexblade level at 10, not 9. You really want Fear.
Also, I wouldn't take any feats until your CHA is maxed. It affects both your attack and you DC which is super important for fear-locking people with a Conquest Paladin.

Well, it's Fear twice a day versus a +4 difference to hit and damage to all your attacks, 1 short rest first level spell slot, the shield spell, and all the substantial benefits of the Hexblade's curse against one creature once per short rest. Personally, I would wait 1 level for Fear, make do with wrathful smite and the channel divinity meanwhile.

OP's character with a race that gives +2 Cha already starts with max Cha, so he has full choice of feats.

Edit1: just checked the dark gifts, and Cha caps at 22. In that case, I would take out one of the feats, start with one of the 14 in Cha, use one of the ASI's to get it to 18 (22 with the gift) You have basically 2 choices for where to put your 18, Con if you want to improve your tankiness, Dex if you want to still cover the rogue role. Dex also gives you a competitive ranged damage option, specially for very long ranges. If you go Dex route, just get the scourge aasimar build above and switch Cha and Dex)

Alternatively (and probably more efficiently, but don't get too hung up on this) you can get any race that does NOT give you a bonus to Cha and start with the Cha at 18. With variant human, you up your str to 15 and round the 13 to 14, and get 3 feats. A Hill Dwarf would be extra tanky (Str 14, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 18, you can still wear Plate with no movement penalty). For a dexadin, a stout halfling would be both hilarious and effective (Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18, get the medium armor master feat).

Edit 2: When you are fighting fearless creatures, you still have very powerful class features to go on with. Some undead are immune to fear, but not as many as you would expect, so Conquest Paladin is solid. Roleplay wise, it's flavour is wonderful with the flaw from your gift.

IChosePoorly
2020-01-15, 08:13 PM
Wow - thanks, y'all! This is great!

Diplomancer, thanks for the breakdown on Conquest and for pointing me towards that guide. I hadn't considered Conquest (or Magic Stone) before but...wow. I am now. How much of the build would change for Devotion or Vengeance? Would one of those Oaths work better as a "team player" than the others? (I'm weighing the fun of "won't take no for an answer" on a selfless paragon of good who just knows better than you, vs the great synergy with a Conqueror...hmmm....)

Thank you again!

diplomancer
2020-01-15, 08:26 PM
Wow - thanks, y'all! This is great!

Diplomancer, thanks for the breakdown on Conquest and for pointing me towards that guide. I hadn't considered Conquest (or Magic Stone) before but...wow. I am now. How much of the build would change for Devotion or Vengeance? Would one of those Oaths work better as a "team player" than the others? (I'm weighing the fun of "won't take no for an answer" on a selfless paragon of good who just knows better than you, vs the great synergy with a Conqueror...hmmm....)

Thank you again!

Happy to help! Let us know your final decision.

Build for devotion doesn't change. I was actually thinking of Devotion first (it's Curse of Strahd after all) before realizing Conquest works better for your specific party. The Devotion halfling, in particular, will basically never miss if the sacred weapon CD is activated (to miss any AC up to 20, you would have to roll two 1s). Vengeance is simply not good if your main weapon is neither heavy nor eligible for polearm master, I don't recommend it.

I think all the builds work very well mechanically. Flavourwise, I just find the halfling conquest paladin who doesn't take no for an answer (and makes quake with fear all who dare to cross him) adorable. It also allows you to have a medium steed to move freely in the castle (if your DM is extra nice, he might allow you to have a pteranodon, for flying, or an ape, to throw your 3rd magic stone. Even if he isn't that nice, a wolf or mastiff would work well and give you more mobility). It does have some slight dissinergy if you ever get to 10th level Paladin, though, so if your group is continuing to play after you escape from Barovia one of the other builds might be better.

Smoothjedi
2020-01-16, 09:10 PM
I ran Curse of Strahd for some friends a while back. Did your group all turn evil for using the sarcophagi in the temple? Are you going to make that check on your new character?