PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Patron ideas

UnwiseAlistair
2020-01-15, 05:04 AM
I am honestly a bit bored by the canon Hexblade Patron lore of the entity making swords in the shadowfell.
I’d like to hear your ideas of more unique entities that may want a more martial-oriented warlock.
My idea is Dendar or another snake god/spirit/etc having a group they call their “Fangs”, armed with scimitars.
Please, fire away with cool thematic ideas for beings that want their cultists with extra stabbing.

HappyDaze
2020-01-15, 05:33 AM
I've gone with the Hexblade granting power to beings that, upon their deaths, will themselves become the intelligences within magical weapons. Yep, all that power...and itty bitty living space (after death). And from there, those weapons continue to spread mayhem and corruption in the mad Underpants Gnome scheme of the Hexblade.

Millstone85
2020-01-15, 06:32 AM
Here is an improvement on canon lore:

The Grim Reaper
Your patron is a psychopomp, a being who guides the souls of the dead to the afterlife. It might do so out of a sense of duty to the cosmic order of life and death, or it might demand some manner of payment. Perhaps it is a spirit of the Shadowfell, carrying a dim lantern to guide lost souls out of the plane. Or it could be a merrenoloth, a fiendish ferryman of the River Styx. In the Forgotten Realms, the god Myrkul once judged souls in his City of the Dead on the Fugue Plane, but now serves the city's current ruler, Kelemvor, by bringing souls to him.
Reapers are known to wield scythes and other blades that cut with the power of death itself. Many of their warlocks emulate these legendary weapons, becoming known as hexblades.

Theaitetos
2020-01-15, 03:45 PM
Well, Hexblades exist because WotC didn't make good Bladelocks. So my take on it is that the Hexblade patron is actually one of the other Warlock patrons (Fiend, Fey, Celestial, GOO, …), and the "Hexblade" option is just a type of warlock contract with a focus on Blade-pact powers.

In the end such a warlock is still a fiendlock, feylock, goolock, … but instead of spells & other patron-specific powers the warlock gained more bladelock powers. That way you don't have to come up with weird patron-weapons, and you can do the bargaining & roleplay just like any other warlock with a normal patron.

NorthernPhoenix
2020-01-15, 07:36 PM
I don't like the weird Smith thing either, and actually much prefer the simpler lore that it's a sentient magic weapon that itself acts as the patron.

Teaguethebean
2020-01-15, 07:39 PM
Well, Hexblades exist because WotC didn't make good Bladelocks. So my take on it is that the Hexblade patron is actually one of the other Warlock patrons (Fiend, Fey, Celestial, GOO, …), and the "Hexblade" option is just a type of warlock contract with a focus on Blade-pact powers.

This is what I do because nobody I know likes the existing lore for them and it is simple neat and allows freedom when making a Hexblade.

suplee215
2020-01-15, 07:47 PM
I had a book created by an archfey called The Tinkerer who built it as basically an AI to assist in experiments. a wizard could easily make a similar one

JakOfAllTirades
2020-01-16, 09:17 AM
I have an idea for a Hexblade patron, but it's not exactly in keeping with the "established lore" for Hexblades. I'd like to play a Githyanki Warlock who has a pact with a powerful sentient Silver Sword which once belonged to a powerful Githyanki. When the Lich Queen attempted to consume him, he escaped by transferring his life force to his sword and spiriting it away into the depths of the Astral Plane, never to be found.

But one of his followers made contact with the sword, psychically. The young Githyanki Warlock doesn't know where to find his master's sword, but he can hear it calling to him. And they have made a pact, to end the reign of the Lich Queen.

I just wish I could figure out a decent way to re-flavor that ridiculous 6th level class feature because it pretty much ruins the whole "psychic warrior" concept.

carrdrivesyou
2020-01-16, 09:28 AM
I have a player in one of my games who'd patron is a sentient sword she found. It gives her age immunity in addition to the other warlock perks. I talked to the player and we established that the spells, powers, and invocations are just her channeling the power of the patron. She could try to get more, but the patron won't let her, as she is unable to handle that power physically, without getting sploded.

da newt
2020-01-16, 10:04 AM
I've seen similar to Theaitetos' post with the one twist being the GOO, Fiend, etc are trapped in a weapon - it's not that interesting or unique, but it allows the normal interactions and the ultimate goal of finding the weapon and releasing the occupant or, wielding the weapon as it's champion to do it's bidding, or being possessed by them, or ...

suplee215
2020-01-16, 10:07 AM
I am not that up on lore but are there any powerful constructs that could be a patron? Seems easy.

Teaguethebean
2020-01-16, 10:10 AM
I am not that up on lore but are there any powerful constructs that could be a patron? Seems easy.

Potentially the inevitables of mechanis

bronzemountain
2020-01-16, 10:10 AM
I'm currently running a Hexblade whose patron is the Arsenal of Infinite Punishments, an infernal machine/building devoted to punishing the wicked. It is full of the tools of punishment (and also torture and interrogation), and also a repository for items recovered from wicked evil-doers who have been captured. The story is that my PC was born into, well, basically a cult that has served the Arsenal for generations. They're all named after punishments and consequences. So his parents are Banishment (aka Ban) and Excoriation (aka Cori). His siblings are Shame, Stoning, Decapitation (aka Deci), and so on.

My PC is Incarceration (aka Carcer), and is quite innocent and decent despite his cultist upbringing. I MCd into Vengeance Paladin for the full on 'capture the guilty' thing. Which, it turns out, has the vibe of a 4E Avenger, which is pretty awesome.

Millstone85
2020-01-16, 10:47 AM
snipSo edgy, and yet so cool!

By "infernal", do you mean it is on Baator, or otherwise connected to devils?

Falconcry
2020-01-16, 01:59 PM
Not really sure if mine fits the lore.

My level 1 dwarf paladin was seduced by a warlock who had him strapped to a table about to finish a ritual to her patron by taking his head with an axe.

As she swung at his neck an adventuring party burst in and killed her. The blade grazed his throat with a small cut but took his beard one inch below the jaw. The beard and some blood was imbued into the axe which the party took with them when dropping him off at a healer.

Now my paladin has eldritch blast, lightning lure, expeditious retreat and shield along with the hexblade's curse.

He has maxed his Charisma but has a -3 penalty with dwarves, who treat him like a teenager.

Now to find that party and retrieve the bit of his life force in the blade. Seeing how close he came he has embraced wine, woman and song (light/beauty) and taken the Ancients Oath.

So guess that makes the blade itself the patron? Or am I just fooling myself that her patron is behind the scenes?

bronzemountain
2020-01-16, 02:04 PM
So edgy, and yet so cool!

By "infernal", do you mean it is on Baator, or otherwise connected to devils?

My GM has a custom setting, so infernal in that context is sort of a generic 'hellish devilish thing with a mission' as opposed to 'slavering evil demon'. Lawful Evil prison entity, as it were.

That said, it would be incredibly easy to put it on Baator or, even better, in Carceri, which would fit thematically very well.

The fun I'm having with the 'edgy' part of it is that Carcer, himself, is absolutely not edgy. He's a big loving puppy of a half-elf. The analogy is a golden retriever in a pack of rottweilers wearing bondage gear.

Chaos Jackal
2020-01-16, 02:23 PM
I'll second what others have said. Have the weapon itself be the patron. It could be the spirit of an old general, a piece of a soul-collecting entity acting in a manner similar to the Grim Reaper, even what used to be a lich's phylactery, whose magic has gone awry and now preserves but also traps the lich's soul without rejuvenating him.

Just remember to wave the Pact of the Blade limitation about sentient weapons in that scenario. Or have the patron not actually dwell within the weapon but use it as a medium to communicate with the wielder and grant them powers.

When I first heard of the Hexblade I was quite excited, as the first thing that sprung in mind was Elric of Melnibone and Stormbringer, and I really like these stories. I was disappointed when the canon lore ended up so vague and flavorless, but as I play almost exclusively in custom settings, any time me or another player on the table has gone Hexblade we change the flavor to the weapon itself being the patron.

Theaitetos
2020-01-16, 03:10 PM
I just wish I could figure out a decent way to re-flavor that ridiculous 6th level class feature because it pretty much ruins the whole "psychic warrior" concept.

The Silver Swords of the Githyanki are used to sever the silver cords that connect the souls of beings with the astral/other planes, iirc. Can't you just say that your Accursed Specter feature is a weak version of the Silver Sword's feature, damaging instead of cutting that cord, and thereby delaying the soul's departure to the afterlife?

Millstone85
2020-01-16, 03:25 PM
The Silver Swords of the Githyanki are used to sever the silver cords that connect the souls of beings with the astral/other planes, iirc. Can't you just say that your Accursed Specter feature is a weak version of the Silver Sword's feature, damaging instead of cutting that cord, and thereby delaying the soul's departure to the afterlife?Did you mean Astral/Outer Planes? That's not what a silver cord connects a soul to. The cord connects a soul to its body.

JakOfAllTirades
2020-01-16, 05:03 PM
The Silver Swords of the Githyanki are used to sever the silver cords that connect the souls of beings with the astral/other planes, iirc. Can't you just say that your Accursed Specter feature is a weak version of the Silver Sword's feature, damaging instead of cutting that cord, and thereby delaying the soul's departure to the afterlife?

Did you mean Astral/Outer Planes? That's not what a silver cord connects a soul to. The cord connects a soul to its body.

I'll have think about this. It sounds like something I could work with, somehow.

Theaitetos
2020-01-16, 05:29 PM
Did you mean Astral/Outer Planes? That's not what a silver cord connects a soul to. The cord connects a soul to its body.

Yes, sorry, I mixed the Astral Projection spell into it a little, since that's where the silver cord is mentioned in 5E rules. The silver cord connects souls to their body, and afaik only the Githyanki Silver Swords can affect that silver cord.

Then let's do it this way: When somebody dies the silver cord between soul & body is usually ruptured, and the soul can go free to its afterlife. But as the Silver Sword (patron) has the special power to affect these silver cords, the Warlock can tether the silver cord to his body for a while whenever he kills someone with his eldritch powers. And that is where these Accursed Specters come from. That works lore-wise, doesn't it? :smallsmile:

Millstone85
2020-01-16, 06:39 PM
That works lore-wise, doesn't it? :smallsmile:I think so, and I like it.

Nagog
2020-01-16, 06:58 PM
Considering the implication in the flavor text that there are those who suspect the Raven Queen created the first Hexblade, I would assume that pretty much any God could create a Hexblade. The Raven Queen's deific nature is questionable, so perhaps any powerful enough entity could do it. Heck I could see plenty of Gods haveing a mixture of Clerics, Hexblades, and Paladins among their devotees during a crusade. Hexblades are a more offensive, casting-focused Paladin. No innate healing, no support abilities, just straight damage/offense focus. Combining the three classes into a cohesive unit would make for quite a formidable force.
(I'm aware of the Paladin not requiring a God, just throwing it in because it has the religious vibe)

Millstone85
2020-01-16, 07:37 PM
Considering the implication in the flavor text that there are those who suspect the Raven Queen created the first Hexblade, I would assume that pretty much any God could create a Hexblade.No, the Raven Queen is suspected of being the Hexblade.

There is only one Hexblade. It is not a weapon. It is not a warlock. It is "a mysterious entity from the Shadowfell" that has a thing for sentient weapons and martial warlocks.

Which is why this lore is so annoying:

Every other patron is a category, like how a warlock of the Fiend could have made a pact with the archdevil Zariel, the demon lord Graz'zt, or any other powerful fiend. But the Hexblade is the Hexblade.
It is really unclear what role, if any, sentient weapons are supposed to have in the warlock's life. Do you have to find Blackrazor, or its little cousin Darkshaver, to talk to the Hexblade? If so, why not simply make the weapon the patron?

thoroughlyS
2020-01-16, 08:01 PM
I saw a reflavor on here one time time that I really took a liking to. I've changed it a little from its original presentation, but I still believe it to be true to the concept. I call it The Vindictive, with the idea being that the warlock has made a pact with a powerful entity who want revenge for something themselves. Possible patrons include Lolth, Levistus, the Raven Queen (based on her 4E/Dawn War incarnation), etc... And Yeenoghu, because the powers seem appropriate for the demon prince of gnolls.

Pex
2020-01-16, 08:54 PM
I borrowed Egyptian mythology. My Hexblade was a worshiper of Ra, the Sun deity. As a Hexblade meant he was the Light that causes the Shadow. Being Lawful Good following a Lawful Good deity made it difficult to justify creating specters, but that's where Egyptian mythology comes to the rescue. When Ra sails his barge through the Underworld those souls who were unworthy of heaven fight to get on board. Ra takes those who make it back with him to heaven. By becoming a specter the condemned soul is saved the Underworld. After the 24 hours of service the soul gets passage on the barge immediately, never going to the Underworld. Osiris will still Judge, but the soul is safe from Apep.

T.G. Oskar
2020-01-17, 03:44 AM
I borrowed Egyptian mythology. My Hexblade was a worshiper of Ra, the Sun deity. As a Hexblade meant he was the Light that causes the Shadow. Being Lawful Good following a Lawful Good deity made it difficult to justify creating specters, but that's where Egyptian mythology comes to the rescue. When Ra sails his barge through the Underworld those souls who were unworthy of heaven fight to get on board. Ra takes those who make it back with him to heaven. By becoming a specter the condemned soul is saved the Underworld. After the 24 hours of service the soul gets passage on the barge immediately, never going to the Underworld. Osiris will still Judge, but the soul is safe from Apep.

Wow, I thought of something similar. Almost incredibly similar.

Thing is, one of the builds I have ready to use is a Scourge Aasimar Paladin 18 (Crown)/Warlock 2 (Hexblade) from Mulhorand. (I plan to use it on the Forgotten Realms, or in any setting that has the Egyptian gods.) Since the Mul believe that the gods walk amongst them as their Chosen, my character works as a sort of "royal guard trainee" for the gods. She primarily worships Re-Horakthy.

Thing is, I figured that I could justify the Warlock levels by having her deal with one of the minor gods, named Khesfu. Curiously, as defined, Khesfu (http://www.musesrealm.net/deities/khesfu.html) is a protector of Ra, who is associated in FR as Re-Horakhty. So, Khesfu, who uses a spear, has blessed my character with an enchanted spear, and powers that may seem unusual. While she remains devoted to the Mulhorandi gods (which are the Egyptian gods), she has a closer relationship to Khesfu because of it. This service allows her to possess cantrips like Eldritch Blast (flavored as Khesfu's spirit javelins, which eventually upgrade into chained harpoons with Agonizing Blast and Grasp of Hadar, so they can work sorta like Scorpion's Spear move), Booming Blade, as well as spells like Shield, Protection from Good and Evil and Armor of Agathys (which is flavored as Khesfu's shield, divine protection, and the cold aura of the underworld surrounding her). Since she won't get more than 2 levels of Warlock, she won't get the other cool effects, but if she did, I could use a justification much like that. However, it fits the idea that Khesfu, as a minor god, can't grant many powers, so instead he offers his assistance to my character. The use of a spear as a weapon also fits the theme.

It's impressive what you can do by skimming off some mythology lore.

Mr Adventurer
2020-01-17, 03:45 AM
Swordscomic has some good swords.

ezekielraiden
2020-01-17, 07:29 AM
The Justiciar, highest of the austere angels of law and justice in the multiverse, who passes sentence on all those who break the law--and oh boy are there so many who go unpunished. Becoming a Hexblade does not mean aligning yourself to death and darkness, but rather, to a force that calls all to account. Your Curse is not corrupting magic, it is the weight of unrepented transgressions finally catching up to the guilty. Your Specter is someone paying off just a smidgeon of their sentence in advance, by serving you before going on to their final rest. The hit points you regain from slaying a target afflicted by your Curse are not you vampirically stealing from them, but rather you are feeling the rush of justice properly served--for although revenge is best served cold, JUSTICE is best served flambéed.

DracoKnight
2020-01-18, 02:28 AM

Quenching the blade of the Silver Sword in blood (preferably Githzerai, but he’ll take what he can get) gives your patron just enough power to manifest a psychic projection that can interact with the material world.

JakOfAllTirades
2020-01-18, 04:08 AM
Quenching the blade of the Silver Sword in blood (preferably Githzerai, but he’ll take what he can get) gives your patron just enough power to manifest a psychic projection that can interact with the material world.

Also an interesting idea. My character wouldn't actually be wielding the Silver Sword itself. It's his patron, and in terms of power it's an artifact-level weapon. But his pact weapon would be a psychic manifestation of it, so... close enough.

I confess my first instinct was simply to swap out this entire feature with something else that fit better, but this discussion has produced some workable ideas to re-skin/re-flavor the Accursed Specter feature so that it fits the character concept. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Klorox
2020-02-27, 06:42 PM
Not really sure if mine fits the lore.

My level 1 dwarf paladin was seduced by a warlock who had him strapped to a table about to finish a ritual to her patron by taking his head with an axe.

As she swung at his neck an adventuring party burst in and killed her. The blade grazed his throat with a small cut but took his beard one inch below the jaw. The beard and some blood was imbued into the axe which the party took with them when dropping him off at a healer.

Now my paladin has eldritch blast, lightning lure, expeditious retreat and shield along with the hexblade's curse.

He has maxed his Charisma but has a -3 penalty with dwarves, who treat him like a teenager.

Now to find that party and retrieve the bit of his life force in the blade. Seeing how close he came he has embraced wine, woman and song (light/beauty) and taken the Ancients Oath.

So guess that makes the blade itself the patron? Or am I just fooling myself that her patron is behind the scenes?

I absolutely love this and I’m going to adopt it into a future character.