PDA

View Full Version : DM Help If you had a D&D App...

Yuushi
2020-01-15, 03:19 PM
If you could build your own D&D (5E) app for laptop (and potentially mobile) what features would you want to include or see? I'd love to hear this from a DM and Player's perspective! Any thoughts or ideas? What would you pay for an app with these features?

I am curious to see what y'all come up with!

nickl_2000
2020-01-15, 03:28 PM
I'm a player primarily

I have paid for an app in the store, Squire Pro and found I really loved it. The problem with Squire Pro was the same one you see with a lot of apps out there, I want the material automatically in the app I don't want to have to put it in myself. However, most material that you want/need as a player is copyrighted and not allowed in an app without special permission from Wizards of the Coast (which as an individual developer, you will not get).

Second, you are competing with DNDBeyond, which is allowed to have all official material (for a price of course), have a professional budget, and a group of developers behind it. Not only that, but they have a pretty decent product with a pretty loyal user base.

So, as a player there isn't all that much I need that doesn't already exist. Maybe a decent beast companion/wildshape app (although copyright issues are a problem here) and I found that having a different app for wildshaping and the rest of my character was pretty annoying and fell back to paper for wildshape stats. Outside of that, I really don't need much else.

Here is one idea I suppose. Create automated modules for a DM. Have all the information easy to find and stat blocks of monsters easy to pull up. Then throw in an initiative tracker and a reputation tracker. It's more than just the software though, it's software that automates aspects of customized module book. So, not only do you live and die no the quality of your software but also on the quality of you adventure module.