PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul NPC with the Death Knight template?

danielxcutter
2020-01-16, 09:10 AM
Statblock (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H22tCfPR69Ym9rmDtyXFbU0Exzgy1p1VwCJnVTOBrzY/edit?usp=sharing)

Can anyone give advice for his spells and gear? And also, how to give him Knowledge(religion) as a class skill? I don't feel like Educated or Knowledge Devotion fit him, and Apprentice only works up until 5th-level for skill point costs.

Also, I'm doing an original setting, but I'm not sure what favored weapon to give him. I suppose it's ultimately my choice, but I dunno... I am considering a martial(ish) deity, though. Then again, I got the idea of using the Death Knight template from Saint Kargoth the Betrayer's statblock in Savage Tide, and Demogorgon isn't strictly a martial deity?

Elrak
2020-01-16, 01:06 PM
You could swap Knowledge Arcana for Knowledge Religion following the dead levels 2 post by Wizards (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x).

One question, how do you get the +11 Nat Armor? As far as I can tell DK grants +5 Nat armor or retains the original one if that is higher.

The only way I can reason it from your character sheet is that you are adding the DK +5 and the Iron Bones +6 spell however these both grant a natural armor and not an enahncement to it which I believe means that they do not stack.

danielxcutter
2020-01-16, 07:10 PM
You could swap Knowledge Arcana for Knowledge Religion following the dead levels 2 post by Wizards (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x).

I'm considering that, but I dunno... Then again, I doubt he'll have that many skill points to spare on more than one Knowledge skill, now that I think of it.

One question, how do you get the +11 Nat Armor? As far as I can tell DK grants +5 Nat armor or retains the original one if that is higher.

The only way I can reason it from your character sheet is that you are adding the DK +5 and the Iron Bones +6 spell however these both grant a natural armor and not an enahncement to it which I believe means that they do not stack.

...Iron Bones doesn't grant an enhancement bonus?

Well crap, back to the sword-and-board plan after all. Though to be honest, I suppose that wasn't too bad of an idea.

redking
2020-01-16, 07:24 PM
You could try my death knight template in Quoth the Raven #25. (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Library/Qtr25.pdf)

danielxcutter
2020-01-16, 07:27 PM
You could try my death knight template in Quoth the Raven #25. (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Library/Qtr25.pdf)

Nnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I'd prefer to stay away from homebrew, sorry.

danielxcutter
2020-01-17, 06:25 AM
Apologies to the mods for the double post, but I've made a few changes to the statblock, so I thought a thread bump might be acceptable.

For his deity's favored weapon, I just decided to give him a bastard sword for now and then maybe change that when I figure out what kind of deity he's going to worship. Maybe.

I've also downgraded his Ring of Protection, since between spontaneous casting from a list that has Harm on it, a reasonable amount of DR - not sure if I'm going with silver or cold iron yet, but still - and the Greater Blurring property of his armor, I figured an "average" AC would be okay.

Ended up going with Knowledge Specialty to get Knowledge(religion). Not entirely sure about using a web enhancement ACF like this, but I can live with it.

After the aforementioned gear changes and stuff, there's 82,356 gp left. What should I give him? Should I give him a Ring of Freedom of Movement(and take that off his spells known), or should I give him a Ring of Positive Energy Protection(and remove Life Ward)? Or should I get some other type of ring?

Oh, and speaking of spells... any suggestions? He doesn't really have to worry about the "duel stat casting" due to having the same in both Wisdom and Charisma(which is why I came up with the idea of making him a death knight in the first place), but I still want to make him a gish, just one with good casting options as well.

Elrak
2020-01-17, 04:20 PM
What about stone shape and stone shape greater? Also maybe not as relevant at higher levels but still nice for utility silence and darkness. I understand you want to go gish but some backup never hurt so planar ally line or some other choice summoning spells can be nice.

danielxcutter
2020-01-17, 07:40 PM
What about stone shape and stone shape greater? Also maybe not as relevant at higher levels but still nice for utility silence and darkness. I understand you want to go gish but some backup never hurt so planar ally line or some other choice summoning spells can be nice.

Not quite sure yet, but sounds decent. It's not like Favored Souls are that bootstrapped for spells known anyways.

Zaq
2020-01-18, 12:51 PM
It’s true that Apprentice only affects COSTS up until 5th level, but the CAP is affected forever (as usual for skills that were class skills for you at earlier levels but not later ones). So if you’re willing to pay the skill points and brute-force it, Apprentice will still work.

Admittedly, you’re not rich in skill points so it’s a noticeable cost, but the point is that it’s a costly option, not a non-option.

danielxcutter
2020-01-18, 08:26 PM
It’s true that Apprentice only affects COSTS up until 5th level, but the CAP is affected forever (as usual for skills that were class skills for you at earlier levels but not later ones). So if you’re willing to pay the skill points and brute-force it, Apprentice will still work.

Admittedly, you’re not rich in skill points so it’s a noticeable cost, but the point is that it’s a costly option, not a non-option.

Frankly, that's the problem. The cost. This guy only has 4 skill points per level and it's not like he doesn't have plenty of other skills to invest in.

Oh, incidentally, he's not going to be affected by human bane weapons or something like that, right? Humanoid(human) is going to be pretty common, I think...